Microsoft cancels 2004 sports lineup.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Microsoft cancels 2004 sports lineup.

Post by bdoughty »

http://sports.ign.com/articles/502/502713p1.html

While this was done a while back (I think just after the release of 2004), some more bad new for ID fans..
We are going away from High Voltage Software and establishing a relationship with a developer that's closer to home.
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/bmdsooner/]My place for games![/url]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Son of a...

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

For those who don't have them you might want to hurry out and grab Top Spin, Links, ID 2004 and Amped 2 for $29.99 because I can just see a rush on these games after the announcement.

Even more disturbing is it looks like we will have to wait until Xbox 2 to play Top Spin 2 or Links 2 if MS still plans on bringing Xbox 2 out in 2005. Hopefully the Links development team will keep working on some courses.

What concerned me the most was the way they talked about baseball games. It made it almost seem like MS is going to take the HH code, lock it in a safe and throw away the key.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Too bad.
Competition drives better games.
We lose Sega and theres no way EA will get off of its lazy fat ass.

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

yeah saw all those rumors last week figured this was coming

oh well time too sell the xbox :wink:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here I was about to buy second one with the price drop......

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

GridIron_Assasin wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Here I was about to buy second one with the price drop......

Bah measly $30 price drop.... This is why you should buy a second one...

brendanrfoley
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by brendanrfoley »

This has been a long time rumor, but...

Could they be paving the way for a purchase of VC? VC is located closer to MS headquarters, and they have a well respected sports line.

Sammy wants Sega to focus on arcade products.

It seems a sale of Sega Sports to MS would work perfectly at this point, and make a lot of sense.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This decision will absolutely, positively cause me to take a very close look at the next console from Sony.

If Microsoft can't f*cking support its own GOD DAMN console with a lineup of first-party sports games for more than two years, then what kind of message does that send about its commitment to console gamers?

I'm pretty pissed, considering that MS' XSN lineup ranged from pretty good to excellent, with Fever the only stinker. Sure, some of the titles, such as Top Spin, had online flaws or got old, but this is really sh*tty news.

The only positive that can come of this is if MS is using this decision as a precursor to buying a big development company, such as Visual Concepts. Either way, who cares? It's just inexplicable to me how MS can pull the rug out from under its sports-gaming customers after making such a big deal about how XSN would revolutionize online sports gaming.

F*ck MS. That's the prevailing emotion I'm feeling now. They've just kicked one nut to a pulp; MS might as well confirm it's not including a hard drive in Xbox 2 to smash my other nut.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:This decision will absolutely, positively cause me to take a very close look at the next console from Sony.

If Microsoft can't f*cking support its own GOD DAMN console with a lineup of first-party sports games for more than two years, then what kind of message does that send about its commitment to console gamers?

I'm pretty pissed, considering that MS' XSN lineup ranged from pretty good to excellent, with Fever the only stinker. Sure, some of the titles, such as Top Spin, had online flaws or got old, but this is really sh*tty news.

Take care,
PK
The guy said the market has spoken. Hes Right.
The games just arent selling.

People are buying EA........I know its a slap in the face.
They are saying "You want EA. Have EA." It aint fair to those of us who actually research and buy games based on whats in em and not who made em.

Thats life.
Thats free enterprise.
Sux to be us. 8)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's bullsh*t.

MS certainly hasn't taken that attitude with its console, as it also has been taking a sales bath. So I guess no one should be too surprised if MS decides in a few months to get out of the console business "because it's just not selling."

What makes me even more enraged is that MS has the mountain of cash to continue to make games, yet it uses lack of sales -- hello, the f*cking Xbox hasn't sold like water in the Sahara, assh*oles -- to can the XSN line.

Also, I'm sure the 989 Sports line gets shellacked by EA Sports -- damn, what sports game doesn't? -- yet Sony continues that line of games even though it has less cash and just as eager stockholders as MS.

Said it once, say it again: F*ck MS.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Damn.....
You really are pissed.
Im not happy with it either but......
The last time I was That angry Mike Martz was running out the clock on his own team.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Wow, MS does this and still tries to use Halo to sell systems. I think they should've killed the latter idea and worked a little harder on the former.

What a waste.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I just read the interview, and what a pathetic episode of ass-covering excuses. Just pathetic.

All of this mumbo-jumbo about "We want to create the best games ever" just reeks of a cop-out, especially when Browne admitted that MS thought its initial XSN lineup was kick-ass and state-of-the-art.

That, combined with dropping High Voltage -- MS' best sports developer -- simply proves that MS is the f*cking junior varsity compared to Sony and EA when it comes to understanding the console gaming business. Big-talking, big-spending amateurs that are flopping on their fat faces.

And please, does MS actually think gamers will return in droves to the XSN line after a year out of the market, especially when the initially line was received with a lukewarm response? People simply will find another series that will please them and forget about MS. Or they will be very skeptical, since MS already has pulled out the rug from under them once.

God, this pisses me off. As if you couldn't tell.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GridIron_Assasin wrote:Damn.....
You really are pissed.
Im not happy with it either but......
The last time I was That angry Mike Martz was running out the clock on his own team.
Uh, I'm not angry in an enraged sense. It's a damn hobby, nothing more.

But within the small, unimportant world of that hobby, I feel cheated by MS, as I've been a big supporter of its console and XSN efforts over the last 18 months. Christ, I bought every XSN game except for Fever, and now this.

Very, very disappointing, from a hobby perspective.

Take care,
PK

SoMisss2000
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by SoMisss2000 »

Could the rumor of EA and Microsoft hooking up over XBL contributed to this. I'd be shocked if we don't hear from E3 that EA and Microsoft have come to an agreement.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

SoMisss2000 wrote:Could the rumor of EA and Microsoft hooking up over XBL contributed to this. I'd be shocked if we don't hear from E3 that EA and Microsoft have come to an agreement.
What does EA really gain by this exactly? If Microsoft's sales of their sports games are poor then would EA not be better off simply wanting the royalty for XBL games to be lifted, an extra cut of the profit margin, or access to the user information. I mean we are talking about XSN games that are only sold on one system. The very system that is currently in last place in worldwide sales.

I think MS is simply stopping the 2004 titles so they can concentrate on having higher quality Xbox 2 games if their system is to come out in 2005. If they are going to come out years ahead of the PS3 and GC Next then it better launch with titles that far surpass what this generation is doing.

If EA ends up on XBL it will have more to do with MS giving EA concessions that they do not offer other publishers. [/code]

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Maybe this was a concession by MS to get EA Sports. Maybe in order to get EA Sports on board of XBL, they are going to drop their games so EA Sports games don't have any real competition.

I can't beleive that they are dropping all their sports games. There has to be something going on with MS. Are the consolidating for the release of the XB2 where next year their will be few games for the Xbox in order to make buying XB2 much more of an incentive.

Also why would they gobble of the HH engine if they just planned on killing their sports line-up. Unless that was to keep it from competitors but that doesn't make any sense. I bet at E3 MS is going to drop a bombshell that they are merging with Sega Sports or something.

If not, I have to agree with Paul, MS doesn't have a clue on console gaming. I have a hard time beleiving that this is the end to links, topspin and other games. MS isn't a stupid company, they haven't made billions of dollars by making stupid decisions. I really hope they have something up their sleeves or it looks like EA Sports is just going to run rampart throughout the sports gaming once again.

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

i think this shows how MS in the end will treat things simply as a buisness

where as a sega and its dreamcast or nintendo and its various systems would hang in there or mix things up

sony is in a position where they can keep breathing life into 989 till the end of time and it doesnt hurt them much and there aproach seems to be to stick with no matter how bad it gets ala gameday 2002 and beyond,shootout etc

anyways i was just thinking this doesnt neccessarily make a MS/SEGA marriage a positive venture as history tends too teach us about the future and we could be sitting here 3 years from now reading the same basic interview considering microsofts decision to axe there ESPN SPORTS EXCLUSIVE SERIES.........something too think about

and im not sold on the EA/MS marriage happening anytime soon

and in my eyes unless ESPN BASEBALL knocks my socks off and according too initial drotar comments it doesnt seem greatly different (but suttle differences may be good wait n see on that).....theres not reason left for me too not ebay my xbox now at a time when it will be harder n harder too fetch a good return value.....throw in my halo game and i have a good sale and also sell the other titles i have left that arent seeing much play time extra controllers,dvd controller etc etc

i can put away those profits for the next round of consoles.......

WE7 n ESPN Football 2k5 are the only must buys on my personal xbox want list for the near future...and one of them may never even make it as far as we know,,,and even if it did its not xbox live compatiable so what is my motivation too purchase it when i have a ps2 copy (other than support konami which i do happily)

the other game is on ps2 as well...so i wouldnt be going cold turkey (of course unless MS buys it between now and august and even if they did hell they may hold it off till xbox 2....LOL)

with MLB 2005,WE7,Karaoke revolution im pretty set for the next several months and following close behind will be NCAA 2005 before i can blink n eye....

hmmm

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Sounds like this is a ploy to get EA on Xbox Live. My guess is they dropped out and will let EA use the XSN technology for all of their games.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

SoMisss2000 wrote:Could the rumor of EA and Microsoft hooking up over XBL contributed to this. I'd be shocked if we don't hear from E3 that EA and Microsoft have come to an agreement.
That's totally irrelevant. I don't want to play EA Sports games on XBL -- I want to play the first-party Microsoft games, which were either unique or better than EA games except for football.

Take care,
PK

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

This sucks just plain and simple. I'm one of the few that actually loves the 2004 version of Fever. Its the HRK of football games in my opinion. I can't stand ESPN football and am sick to death of Madden. Inside Drive is also one of my all time favorite sports games.

Dammit.

Outside of Sega dropping the Dreamcast this is just about the worst video game news I've ever heard.

Looks like I will be updating rosters for the next few football and basketball seasons.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This raises other questions:

1. Will MS continue to offer downloadable content for its XSN games? Will Kapalua and Ocean Mill Director's Cut be the only and last downloadable courses for Links?

2. Will MS offer roster updates for its existing games through next season as a peace offering for its loyal customers?

3. So, MS bought High Heat just so it could kill it and put it in the cryonics lab in Scottsdale next to Ted and John Henry?

Lord, I'm pissed. :evil:

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Sounds like this is a ploy to get EA on Xbox Live. My guess is they dropped out and will let EA use the XSN technology for all of their games.
Well, I guess this would be the consolation prize.

Take care,
PK

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

pk500 wrote:
That's totally irrelevant. I don't want to play EA Sports games on XBL -- I want to play the first-party Microsoft games, which were either unique or better than EA games except for football.

Take care,
PK
BINGO

besides i can play ea on ps2 online alreay thats not enough of a trade off too me too make up for losing an entire series of inovative (top spin,rivals multiplayer pond hockey)if not at least somewhat brillant at times (IE ID 03-04) not too mention there sitting on a potential DIAMOND MIND of Sports Gaming if they were to do all the right things with already proven series such as High Heat & Links.....or even things like Fever that could still be thrown back into the pot and revamp into something that could clique

anyway you look at it...potential and time wasted.......i mean how does a series grow if it isnt being published....how else do you get the pulse of your audience year too year...warts n all