Post WE7-I Impressions Here

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

I tried playing the Konami Cup to see if I could still get the extra team commentary names like in the previous version, but I didn´t get it. Now, I played with only three teams in the cup, do I have to play with more to unlock them, or are they just not available in the game? Because it seems ridiculous not to be able to call Hertha Berlin "Berlin" in the commentary name! As far as I know, there are no special rights to the city of Berlin that Konami had to buy. Last year, they even had Bucharest on that list, so I was able to create Steaua, Rapid and Dinamo Bucharest (I´m a Bucharest Boy, what can I say?), but now I don´t see Bucharest on that list. Is there any way to get the expanded list?
<BR>
<BR>While I´m at it, here are some impressions:
<BR>
<BR>1. I´ve noticed goalies make some dumb errors from time to time, but this hasn´t been frequent enough to bother me, and it´s probably in line with normal human goalie error in real soccer, so it´s allright with me.
<BR>2. Dribbling does seem a bit easy, doesn´t it? It´s not easy enough to really throw the balance of the game off, so that´s allright with me, too.
<BR>3. Yes, headers are more difficult, as they should be. It´d be nice to hit a midfield header every now and then, but Konami have it right in that midfield headers aren´t usually won by anybody in real soccer, and if they are, they´re not gonna be very powerful. This is a concession to realism, I think.
<BR>4. Overall a wonderful improvement over WE6I, and over the Japanese WE7 (not the Japanese WE7I, which I have yet to play).
<BR>

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I think whatever they have in the edit section is all you are going to get so if Berlin isn´t on that list, it´s nowhere to be found.
<BR>
<BR>It´s 17 pages long but most of that is filled with crappy names like West London Blue. WTF is that. I understand that they can´t say Blackburn but atleast they could have had better call names.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

Isn´t Blackburn a geographical name, though...? Does the team have a copyright on place names?? Leeds is on there as a place name, but Berlin isn´t, which is ridiculous. If they´re going to go this far in helping you edit the names of the teams, why don´t they go all the way? It wouldn´t have taken much more than that.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

After playing around with this game last night until 2am, i will say that i´m having a blast with it so far and it´s a better game than the Fifa series from what I can tell even though i haven´t played 2004 yet. There are some things that I think get overlooked though and i´m not sure why. One thing I noticed is sometimes players just stand around. I don´t know how many times I passed the ball to a teammate last night and he just stood there while a defender just beat him to the ball. Also while playing on two star level I was able to score goals in the same manor of previous versions of Fifa. Take the ball down the wing, cross it over and look for the header. Don´t get me wrong, I think the game is good but sometimes I wonder if this series gets a little bit of a pass just because it´s not an EA game. Anyway looking forward to playing more and also going to rent Fifa 2004 today. I want to see just how big the difference is in gameplay.
<BR>
<BR>Tim
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Blub and others,
<BR>
<BR>I think best buy near me has the x-port and I am going to buy it today. Two questions:
<BR>
<BR>I noticed that I am unable to download from the Wolf´s website until March 1st; any other places to download the file from?
<BR>
<BR>Has anyone downloaded this file yet? I noticed some people on the Evo-web forums were having trouble; (but it seemed like they may have been doing it wrong).
<BR>
<BR>I am having a blast with this game. I am playing a league with club teams on 3* and playing as Roma. Record so far: 2 W 4 D 1 L. I made it a super-league with all the top clubs, so every game is a battle.
<BR>
<BR>My impressions of this game are similar to what I´ve been reading from others. My biggest plus is the possession and build-up changes that Jrod talked about. In WE6I I used to dominate possession and there wasn´t enough midfield play. Now, the CPU really holds the ball and the plays start to develop in the middle. It is great.
<BR>
<BR>I am feeling a bit helpless on defending headers in the box. The CPU really seems to dominate me in that department. Any tips on heading other than hitting the square button? I noticed heading isn´t even addressed in the manual.
<BR>
<BR>One more thing, when playing with accumalated fatigue on, there is a very skinny bar that appears below the regular thicker bar, and it slowly fills with red. I am assuming that is the fatigue level of the player, but how does it differ with the thicker bar, which also fluctuates throughout a season/tournament?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks, hope everyone is having as good as a time as I am with this one.
<BR>
<BR>Jim D.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>One thing I noticed is sometimes players just stand around. I don´t know how many times I passed the ball to a teammate last night and he just stood there while a defender just beat him to the ball.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Tim, take control of the player with the L1 button and chase the ball yourself. Also, try some of the advanced 1-2 moves.
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>Also while playing on two star level I was able to score goals in the same manor of previous versions of Fifa. Take the ball down the wing, cross it over and look for the header. Don´t get me wrong, I think the game is good but sometimes I wonder if this series gets a little bit of a pass just because it´s not an EA game.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>2 Star is supposed to be that easy. Move up to 3 star or higher and see the difference.
<BR>
<BR>From Guitarfreak´s excellent FAQ (comments on 3 Star):
<BR>
<BR>"Right, this is where the difficulty curve takes a sharp incline. You can´t simply rely on running around the opposition (a la FIFA). Instead, a certain degree of tactical nous is required to really succeed at this setting."
<BR>
<BR>Besides, I doubt IGN and Gamepot gave it 9.1 (not to mention the overall 9.3 average at Gamerankings) just because it is not an EA game.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Leebo33 on 22-02-2004 10:51 ]</font>
Gamertag: Leebo33

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-02-22 10:20, jimd wrote:
<BR>I think best buy near me has the x-port and I am going to buy it today. Two questions:
<BR>
<BR>I noticed that I am unable to download from the Wolf´s website until March 1st; any other places to download the file from?
<BR>
<BR> JIMD:
<BR>
<BR>I downloaded and installed it with no problems from a link I got at OS. Check out the option file thread there. If you can´t find it PM me and I will email the file to you.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I´m not sure why this double posted.
<BR>
<BR>I love this game and can´t stop playing it.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Leebo33 on 22-02-2004 10:47 ]</font>

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Leebo,
<BR>
<BR>I said I was scoring on 2 stars...i didn´t say I was winning! LOL! I haven´t won a game yet. I played my first 5 games on 3 stars and lost to an average of 4-0 every game. I moved down to 2 stars and lost my first 3 but finally started scoring and have gotten draws my last two games! The game is great...I wish it had all the club teams though. I´m going to do some more editing today and then start my season with Weder Bremen.
<BR>
<BR>Tim
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I´m going to go pick up an X-Port today! I think i´m hooked on this game.
<BR>
<BR>Tim
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I´m in love with this game too. With most sports games, I´m going along, just happy to have this semi-accurate simulation of a sport available for me to enjoy. With Winning Eleven, somehow the veneer breaks down, and I´m convinced that everything I´m seeing is ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Maybe it´s the animations, which I find especially convincing this year. Maybe it´s the fact that nothing that happens feels canned. But no other game elicits such an emotional reponse from me, except maybe my first run through of Ico.
<BR>
<BR>I´ve never been much of a soccer fan, but WE is really opening my eyes. I find myself scouring soccertv.com for EPL matches on cable, and I think I´m going to start hanging out at Nevada Smith´s (hugo knows it well I´m sure) before work to catch some live games.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

<BR>On 2004-02-22 11:58, Slumberland wrote:
<BR>I´m in love with this game too. With most sports games, I´m going along, just happy to have this semi-accurate simulation of a sport available for me to enjoy. With Winning Eleven, somehow the veneer breaks down, and I´m convinced that everything I´m seeing is ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Maybe it´s the animations, which I find especially convincing this year. Maybe it´s the fact that nothing that happens feels canned. But no other game elicits such an emotional reponse from me, except maybe my first run through of Ico.
<BR>
<BR>I´ve never been much of a soccer fan, but WE is really opening my eyes. I find myself scouring soccertv.com for EPL matches on cable, and I think I´m going to start hanging out at Nevada Smith´s (hugo knows it well I´m sure) before work to catch some live games.
<BR>
<BR>Slumber:
<BR>Yep same thing happened to me.
<BR>
<BR>This game is simply getting more amazing the more I play it.
<BR>
<BR>Okay a tip about headers. It wonn´t work if you queue up the header like in WE6:I. You have to time your headers this year. Or so I´m convinced.
<BR>
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Anyone else using the analog controls instead of the digital pad this year? I find I can be just as accurate with the thumbstick in WE7, while I couldn´t in WE6. Easier on my left thumb, too.
<BR>
<BR>

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Leebo,
<BR>
<BR>Thanks, I found the link at OS. I just came back from the store; couldn´t find an x-port, but found an Action Replay Max. Hopefully this works, I´m going to give it a try this afternoon.
<BR>
<BR>Jim D.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

<BR>On 2004-02-22 11:58, Slumberland wrote:
<BR>I´m in love with this game too. With most sports games, I´m going along, just happy to have this semi-accurate simulation of a sport available for me to enjoy. With Winning Eleven, somehow the veneer breaks down, and I´m convinced that everything I´m seeing is ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Maybe it´s the animations, which I find especially convincing this year. Maybe it´s the fact that nothing that happens feels canned. But no other game elicits such an emotional reponse from me, except maybe my first run through of Ico.
<BR>
<BR>I hear you. Today my wife peeked her head into my den and said, "Did I hear you say f*ck?"...LOL.
<BR>
<BR>I tied a game up yesterday in stoppage time and started to celebrate only to suddenly realize the ref called the play offside...my heart actually sunk! I may get emotionally charged up about a multi-player game, but no other single player game gets me this pumped up.
<BR>
<BR>BTW, I am using the analog control and I also believe it is much more important to time your headers this year. I like it.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Jimd, let me know how it works out with the AR Max. I´m having a hard time tracking down an X-Port, but we have the Max here in the store where I work. I don´t see why the WE option file wouldn´t find its way onto the codejunkies server.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Allright this might be a dumb question. Will there be any patches that will give us the correct jerseys with sponsorship for the PS2 version? I see some patches out on the net but it looks like most of the updated kit patches with sponsors are only for the PC version. Can anybody answer this? If I can get real jerseys with real sponsors I might not leave the house for a long time.
<BR>
<BR>Tim<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: tjung0831 on 22-02-2004 13:54 ]</font>
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

mobiggins
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mobiggins »

What is the 4 digit code in the edit mode??
<BR>The instruction booklet says nothing about it.
<BR>
<BR>

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Tjung,
<BR>
<BR>The only way is if the community does it but I doubt since most of the console patches aren´t made by US gamers.
<BR>
<BR>

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Bear with me on this, but I´m trying to download using the Action Replay Max.
<BR>
<BR>It doesn´t come with any connection cable, so I guess I need to go buy UBS cable, right?
<BR>
<BR>And this may sound really stupid, but I have no idea what to do with the disc it comes with. Does it go in my computer or in the PS2?
<BR>
<BR>If anyone can help I´d help I´d appreciate it. The directions are no help and I´m wondering if this is the right product. Thanks.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

It might be the wrong product, jimd. My understanding is that the AR Max does its downloading via the network adapter, not a PC link.

bphilipb
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by bphilipb »

jimd-
<BR>
<BR>You need an x-port. I made the same mistake. Go on ebay and you can get an x-port. That is where I got mine. It has been discontinued and is pretty tough to find here in the states.
<BR>
<BR>BB
BB

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I might be wrong on this, but the action replay maxshould be just like the Action replay for the Xbox where you just insert your mem card. AR-Max you hook up your PC to a USB device that you insert your mem card.
<BR>
<BR>If it´s not like that then it´s like the sharkport were you have to hook up your pc to your PS2.
<BR>
<BR>Could be wrong on both accounts. I have the sharkport and if I didn´t have a laptop it would be hassle to load up games saves. The AR-Xbox is great because I just insert the provided Xbox AR-Mem card and bingo it´s done. I´m sure the AR-max works similarly.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. I´m pretty sure I need the x-port. If anyone knows how to use the AR Max I´d be interested in figuring it out, but I think I´m going to return it and get the x-port off ebay.
<BR>
<BR>I have had enough of monkeying around with it for today. Need to play! I actually have an real soccer game tonight and won´t get any gaming in. I only mention it because it´s the first time I can remember where I would rather stay home and play, then play the real thing!
<BR>
<BR>WE is a drug, and I am addicted.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Guys,
<BR>Just had a great time losing. England v Italy. I don´t know what you guys think but I can actually sense the type of teams I´m playing and the quality of players on both sides. First off Dyer v Italian midfielders was a lost cause. Beckham had some great touches but because of the down arrow for Hesky, Owen was left with Vassel. I just couldn´t get the ball to my forwards. They kicked me in the rear 2-0. I love losing in WE7 becuase it was next to impossible to win in WE6. I hope it stay this way so winning doesn´t get easy.
<BR>
<BR>Now compare that when I played Scotland. And I was dominating the Scots only to play horrible football. It ended in a 1-1 tie.
<BR>
<BR>I´m off to play a Super League (top 4 teams from England, Spain, Italy and Germany) and some Champions League.
<BR>
<BR>At first I didn´t think this game was all but an upgrade. It might very well be but it´s quite possibly the most rewarding gaming experience I´ve had in a while. Well since CM01/02.