Buing advice needed--College Hoops or Links?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Andy76
Mario Mendoza

Post by Andy76 »

Need some buying advice here. I’m going to unload March Madness and TW 2004 (xbox versions). I want to pick up either Links or ESPN College Hoops to tide me over until baseball season starts. I really want a sports game for Xbox live. I know ID 2004 is a good game, but I’ve got no virtually no interest in the NBA. Opinions? Thanks for your help.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Andy:
<BR>
<BR>I haven´t played College Hoops, so no comment there.
<BR>
<BR>But I own Links, and it slowly but surely has become my favorite non-racing sports game of 2003-early 2004. Strong gameplay, a lot of variety in gameplay modes, fun Xbox Live play, XSN tournaments (although they´re screwed up now) and lovely graphics add up to one package that has a lot of legs. I can´t see myself tiring of Links any time soon.
<BR>
<BR>And I don´t golf in real life, either.
<BR>
<BR>Good luck with your choice.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 13-02-2004 08:19 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

For whatever reason, initially there didn´t seem to be a lot of people online playing College Hoops. I currently don´t have XBl anymore, but I remember having to wait a long time for someone to come online to play. That said, it was absolutely the most exciting and tense moments of my brief XBL life.
<BR>
<BR>The only way to rationalize why there aren´t as many people playing CH online is because of the immense depth the single player experience entails. It´s by far my best sports gaming experience in several years. The shear depth of legacy is unreal. And while there are a couple minor gameplay issues, it´s still has me excited to play a game each evening. I too am not a fan of the NBA at all....I could care less if ID plays a better game....it´s boring boring boring. CH has big time atmosphere and it´s a team oriented game.
<BR>
<BR>Whichever choice you make, they´re both solid games.
PSN: sportdan30
XBL: sportdan41

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

If you buy Links make sure you buy from a store with a price match guarantee as there are rumors XSN games are going to be reduced to $29.99 in March. Also, if you buy College Hoops make sure not to pay more than $29.99 as the price has been reduced at EB and GS.
<BR>
<BR>I bought CH when it first came out and was initially impressed and then after a few weeks it got boring so I sold it. However, I picked up the PS2 version of CH recently after the price cuts and have really enjoyed the game using Jistic´s sliders posted at OS.
<BR>
<BR>Links is excellent on XBL. I´ve had great fun with some "foursomes" and team play. It´s a fun XBL to just relax and bs.
Gamertag: Leebo33

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Leebo,
<BR>
<BR>Check out El Prez´s sliders if you get a chance. I started using Jistic´s for my first handful of games but I recently switched and I get a much better game from the AI. Not only is it a lot more challenging, but the AI shoots the 3 ball more frequently than they did with Jistic´s sliders. My FG % has gone down which is good too....a lot more realistic. If I remember correctly, you can find El Prez´s sliders on page 25 of the "Sliders" on OS.
PSN: sportdan30
XBL: sportdan41

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I´m no fan of EA lately, but if you´ve already played March Madness, then you´ve already played the best College B-Ball game this year. You´ll find ESPN to be stiff, lifeless, and ultimately boring in comparison. I bought CH, played it for a few weeks, and then traded it in for MM, and I´m happy I did.
<BR>
<BR>That being said, Links is a SUPERB game and highly recommended as the better of the games you mention. It´s addictive offline, and great fun online. Get it.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I have them both. College Hoops didn´t reach out and grab me right away, but I´ve slowly come around to liking it a good bit. I play it exclusively offline, and I´ve never been able to find a player in my class (low skill) online to play against. I don´t miss it though... I´m enjoying my season mode immensely! I don´t play dynasty (yet), but I may grow into it. Problem is my basketball jones ends when the Final Four is done.
<BR>
<BR>Sport73 has a point on CH´s graphics, they are pretty lacking XBox wise, but they´re passable, IMO. I haven´t played MM 2004 so he may be right, it may surpass CH in that vein. I think the commentary and color in CH is pretty doggone good and at times, surprisingly deep, which helps make up for the lacking graphics.
<BR>
<BR>Links 2004 is a long term game. I play it regularly, mostly in career mode (which I find pretty compelling, although I know others don´t). I occasionally stumble into an online game that I really get into. The fast play mode was interesting at first, but now I find it mostly so impersonal that it almost feels like I´m playing against a score rather than a player.
<BR>
<BR>I couldn´t pick one right now that I could do without. I bought College Hoop used at EB for $26.99, and it´s new for $29.95. I´d say buy College Hoops now and finish out the season. There´s a strong rumor that by the end of February, Links 2004 is going to be reduced to $29.95 (along with all the other XSN games). I´m holding off on buying ID 2004 for that reason until then. I´ve already played the demo to death and know that I like it. I would have bought it by now had it not been for College Hoops, and my strong preference for college over pro basketball.
<BR><BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: J_Cauthen on 13-02-2004 12:22 ]</font>

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

i have a copy of links if your interested
http://thecincinnatikid.blogspot.com

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-02-13 11:49, Sport73 wrote:
<BR>I´m no fan of EA lately, but if you´ve already played March Madness, then you´ve already played the best College B-Ball game this year. You´ll find ESPN to be stiff, lifeless, and ultimately boring in comparison. I bought CH, played it for a few weeks, and then traded it in for MM, and I´m happy I did.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>A few weeks ago I would have totally agreed with this statement, however, since I gave it another shot with Jistic´s sliders I´ve enjoyed the game a ton more. I´m seeing a lot more errant passes, loose balls, fouls and free throw attempts, more three point attempts, etc. I cringe when the CPU uses 4 time outs in a row during the first 5 minutes of the second half, but I am generally enjoying the game now.
<BR>
<BR>That said, if I could only pick one game b/w the two I would buy Links 2004.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for the sliders tip Sportdan. I will try them this weekend.

Andy76
Mario Mendoza

Post by Andy76 »

Thanks for all your input. I decided to go with Links for the Live play. Sorry, Cincy, I picked up a copy after work.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2004-02-13 15:15, Leebo33 wrote:
<BR>A few weeks ago I would have totally agreed with this statement, however, since I gave it another shot with Jistic´s sliders I´ve enjoyed the game a ton more.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Leebo,
<BR>
<BR>I gotta try College Hoops with some slider action. I´m still playing pretty much stock. Where does one find Jistic´s sliders?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

<BR>On 2004-02-13 17:41, J_Cauthen wrote:
<BR>
<BR>On 2004-02-13 15:15, Leebo33 wrote:
<BR>A few weeks ago I would have totally agreed with this statement, however, since I gave it another shot with Jistic´s sliders I´ve enjoyed the game a ton more.
<BR>
<BR>Leebo,
<BR>
<BR>I gotta try College Hoops with some slider action. I´m still playing pretty much stock. Where does one find Jistic´s sliders?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks!
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>John:
<BR>
<BR>I´m not a big fan of sliders, but I think they really help in CH. I don´t know about you, but on the default settings I hardly get any foul shots and the CPU really doesn´t take any three pointers. These sliders help me at least.
<BR>
<BR>There is a slider thread in the OS forum for College Hoops. I would try "El Prez´s" sliders based on Dan´s recommendation above, but if they don´t work try Jistic´s.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks Leebo, I´ll give El Prez´s sliders a try once my son gets his fill of Spongebob and The Fight for Bikini Bottom, or whatever the heck the name of that game is called!