Links 2004 XBox Issues: UPDATE

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Looks like my Links 2004 time will be put on hold until further notice...
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Start --><B>2/6/04 Status on Auto-update Investigations
<BR>Posted: 02-06-2004 09:36 AM</B><!-- BBCode End -->
<BR>
<BR>There are the two known issues with the recently released auto-update (see this thread ). We are also looking into a third. That being random problems with Live stats that people are reporting. We think the XSN and Live stats problems are related.
<BR>
<BR>The first thing we wanted to do was roll-back the auto-updated to at least get people back onto the code base they had before Monday. We´ve learned that there is no mechanism or process in place to do this. Turns out Links is the first game ever to have released an auto-update that cause critical issues right off the back and needed to be roll-backed. This is something we´ll have to wear around our necks for a long time. It is also a learning lesson for the XBox Live team to have a process in place for this rare situation.
<BR>
<BR>The Certification team is looking into the most expeditious way to roll people back. Before they do anything there is a lot of testing that needs to be done, as the last thing we want is to compound the problems. We of course want to get fixes/rollbacks/changes out as soon as possible but we don´t want to end up in a spiraling mess where each change inadvertently causes problems with other changes. That is our nightmare scenario.
<BR>
<BR>On a seperate track we are working on fixing the two (possible three) known issues. There will be a much more intensive testing effort for this release, and the scenarios that you guys have provided both here and through mail have helped us prepare for this testing effort.
<BR>
<BR>My team has learned some very painful, but valuable lessons in this last week. I won´t list them all. I think we will come out of this better organized and positioned for these types of things going forward, but I sincerly apologize to anyone who lost career data. We are actively looking into how to address that, while managing the risk that anything done in code could make issues much further worse for a larger percentage of people. You could say we are on the super-conservative side right now.
<BR>
<BR>We screwed this up but we do deeply care about the customer experience. And we will fix the problems. I am continuing to work with our Marketing and Planning groups to find some valuable compensation to the community for these problems. I can´t say what we are thinking but I think most will be happy.
<BR>
<BR>We sincerly appreciate everyone´s patience and support while we work through this. This continues to be our #1 priority and we will get things worked out.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Start --><B>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<BR>Daryl Welsh
<BR>Group Program Manager
<BR>Microsoft Game Studios - SLC (Links, Amped, Top Spin)</B><!-- BBCode End -->
<BR>
Gamertag: DivotMaker

Xbox One X

Xbox Elite Controller

Now Playing TGC2 in True Sim style for all events

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What a freaking mess. Good thing TW on the PC is a much better game or I´d be struggling right there along with you Xbox golfers.
<BR>
<BR>Glad I traded that s*** in a month or so ago.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

Well, I´m glad I haven´t downloaded any of the updates to that game yet. In fact, I haven´t played it in so long I should probably consider selling it.
<BR>
<BR>However, I am a little surprised that this type of thing hasn´t happened in the past when MS and the developers were still beginning with XBL. I think there is a lot of potential for things like this to happen in the future and hopefully it won´t become a trend.
<BR>
<BR>Thankfully they are coming clean and doing their best to rectify the problem. But, damn, they have made a huge mess of it already and it´s going to take some serious "spinning" for this not to casue long term damage.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I haven´t yet noticed this, but I´m not playing much online - still hacking my way through the career mode. I seem to be getting more out of the career mode than most though. I believe they´ll see this through, but there´s going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth until they do.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I´ll wait as long as it takes for MS to fix the problem. I LOVE this game, online and offline.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am also enjoying the game online and offline. These problems really aren´t effecting my enjoyment of the game at all.
<BR>
<BR>We need a Links poker night.
Gamertag: Leebo33

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Leebo:
<BR>
<BR>I can dig that, especially if we use our Skills 7 players so everyone is about equal. Let me know.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425