Xbox, Xbox Live, and Sports Games - Please Read

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Templehorn
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Templehorn »

I am thinking about buying an xbox. I play 98 percent sports games (sports includes racers in my book). I don´t really care about the GTAVC´s or the MGS2´s. Sports is it for me. So........what does the xbox sports offer me to validate a purchase :
<BR>
<BR>POSITIVES :
<BR>
<BR>1.Sega-
<BR>From what I hear, sega´s sports titles play much better on Xbox than they do on ps2. Supossedly with the smoother graphics there is also smoother gameplay. Also considering in Xbox Live , looks like there will be tons of gamers online for Sega´s games on Xbox. This will be night and day compared to PS2 which is a ghostown online when it comes to sega´s games.
<BR>
<BR>2.EA Sports-
<BR>My PS2 EA Sports online expereince has been below average thus far. So bascially I don´t even go online to play their games. But offline, their games this year are excellent. They do the best job in recreating realistic stats in games and their football games have been somewhat of a ritual to play every year. Plus I do like the improvements to NBALIVE and FIFA (haven´t played Fifa, but hear good things). So bascially, EA SPORTS Games for me, is a OFFLINE expereince.
<BR>
<BR>That´s where XBOX steps in. This is tempting since I play EA Sports games offline, from what I hear, they are slightly better on the xbox. It´s a give and take, but if Microsoft comes out w/ their sharkport equivilent, then it´ll be pretty even compared to ps2 options wise. Also from what I hear, EA is watching XBL closely, and might come on board. Before this was a dead issue, but now, there is a possiblity. If EA comes on board to XBL, then that is great, hopefully they improve their online experience. I don´t expect EA to do 1:1 ratio for online gaming w/ ps2/xbox(meaning xbl may have madden and live online like ps2 next year, but ncaa2004 maybe ps2 online exclusive), but hopefully they do.
<BR>
<BR>So in conclusion, since I play many EA Sports games offline, why not get them for the better versions.
<BR>
<BR>NEUTRAL -
<BR>
<BR>1.THIRD PARTIES-
<BR>High Heat2004 , WE6, other games made by ´less prominent´ developers. Sure Xbox may not get all of these games, but I can live with that. I can keep my ps2 for these games. No big loss here or a strike against not getting a xbox.
<BR>
<BR>2.MS SPORTS-
<BR>Don´t really care. NFL FEVER isn´t the greatest game, but as long as I have Sega´s and EA´s games, no big deal. INSIDE DRIVE series, agian, nice game, no big deal if I don´t have it on my console; EA and Sega provide me enough to be happy with.
<BR>
<BR>NEGETIVE :
<BR>
<BR>This is the biggest thing that makes me hesitant about picking up a xbox for sports titles:
<BR>
<BR>1.Does Mircrosoft know what they are doing or Care about the XBOX?
<BR>
<BR>I ask this because why isn´t a game like Inside Drive online this year?
<BR>Why there a major blockbuster game out for Xbox this Christmas?
<BR>Why didn´t MS have a game like HALO 2 out for this Christmas, when they really need a boost in sales. Like others have said, at least put out halo 1 just with online compotents and call it HALO LIVE, that would have sold some units; better than not having a big game out this christmas.
<BR>
<BR>Things like the above make me still hesitant about picking up xbox. I don´t know if MS understands the gaming industry, they deomonstrate with these moves they DO NOT. I still feel like they are using their expereince in the PC MARKET in the Console Market. 2 totally different Markets.
<BR>
<BR>Hopefully XBL will be great. I sort of get this notion that XBOX is right on the edge of ´turning the curve´ but the management decisions hamper it.<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Templehorn on 10-11-2002 20:32 ]</font>

Neckthai
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Neckthai »

Templehorn,
<BR>
<BR>I basically have made the same decision as you are trying to make over the last week and I´ve decided to go with the pairing of XBOX and PS2.
<BR>
<BR>I´m getting rid of my Gamecube, because after a while, I was only playing online games with people from Sports Reviewers or FGO.
<BR>
<BR>Here´s why I decided to get an XBOX:
<BR>
<BR>1. Online Gaming with XBOX Live. PS2 gaming online has been fun with SOCOM and Madden, but from what I´ve heard from beta testers like PK, the XBOX Live will be as fun if not much more. Plus the only option for online hockey is XBOX. If I want to play Madden, Pro Race Driver or another PS2 type game offline, then I have the PS2.
<BR>
<BR>2. Though I had a Gamecube, all the games I wanted to see -- with the exception of Metroid Prime -- were also available for ps2, xbox or both. I´ll still get to see most of the titles anyway, or replace the titles.
<BR>
<BR>I have concerns about XBOX, but hey I still play my dreamcast, so if the system dies, it dies. Just too many pros on my list to outdo the cons.
<BR>
<BR>Good luck with your decision...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Temple of Siam:
<BR>
<BR>Can´t disagree with your positives. Itemized deductions of your negatives:
<BR>
<BR>>>> ask this because why isn´t a game like Inside Drive online this year?<<<
<BR>
<BR>Very good question. Stupid move by Microsoft. One can only hope that an online patch or add-on disc becomes available, as is rumored for Sega GT 2002.
<BR>
<BR>>>>Why there a major blockbuster game out for Xbox this Christmas?<<<
<BR>
<BR>There is. It´s called Splinter Cell, and it will be released next week. The designer of Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 was quoted as saying that Splinter Cell is the game he wished he could have made and that it blows away both MGS and MGS 2.
<BR>
<BR>>>>Why didn´t MS have a game like HALO 2 out for this Christmas, when they really need a boost in sales. Like others have said, at least put out halo 1 just with online compotents and call it HALO LIVE, that would have sold some units; better than not having a big game out this christmas.<<<
<BR>
<BR>Because Halo is the Xbox franchise. MS can´t afford to rush it or screw it up. I´m not sure if you´ve played Halo, but it´s so good that MS really will need to shoot its collective wad to top it. And have you seen the screenies and trailer for Halo 2? Gorgeous. Unbelievable. A game this pretty probably requires mucho development time. Plus, you´ve already said you´re into sports games only. So why is Halo or Halo 2 a concern for you?
<BR>
<BR>>>>Things like the above make me still hesitant about picking up xbox. I don´t know if MS understands the gaming industry, they deomonstrate with these moves they DO NOT. I still feel like they are using their expereince in the PC MARKET in the Console Market. 2 totally different Markets.<<<
<BR>
<BR>So what? If you buy the Xbox and enjoy the games and Xbox Live, what do you care about Microsoft´s industry knowledge. Even if the company is populated by chimps, which it isn´t except for "Monkey Boy" Ballmer, MS has enough cash and willpower to sustain this console through its life cycle.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK<BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 11-11-2002 06:21 ]</font>
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425