FIFA 2003 (Xbox) early impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I´ve played this game for an hour, and it´s not perfect. Still a few defensive and keeper AI issues.
<BR>
<BR>But I´ll agree with a poster at Sports Reviewers: No EA game has seen such a dramatic improvement in one year. I almost rubbed my eyes and checked the logo on the box to double-check that this was an EA game.
<BR>
<BR>Frankly, this game would be celebrated as a stunning triumph if not for the brilliance of WE6, which I´ve never played but respect immensely simply because of all the reviews and first-hand feedback. Well-respected games such as NFL 2K3, NBA 2K3, Madden 2003 and NCAA 2003 have just as many flaws as I can spot so far in FIFA 2003, so that´s quite a compliment to the EA team that overhauled this game.
<BR>
<BR>On the road tomorrow and most of Friday, so no gaming or posting. But I´m going to give this game quite a workout over the weekend.
<BR>
<BR>Very, very impressed so far. EA really did deliver on its promises of major improvements for once.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Cincinnati_Kid
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Cincinnati_Kid »

FIFA POSSIBLY DRAMAMTICALLY IMPROVED...
<BR>
<BR>NHL2K3 ABOUT TO BE RELEASED AND PLAYABLE ONLINE.....
<BR>
<BR>XBL...ABOUT TO TAKE ONLINE GAMING TO ANOTHER LEVEL
<BR>
<BR>im not a gta vice city fan...but in the shadow of its release as well
<BR>
<BR>has there been a better time to be a gamer
http://thecincinnatikid.blogspot.com

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

I haven´t played the XBox version yet, but the PS2 version is a big improvement. I was a little harsh on FIFA 2003 in my review (probably because it feels more and more scripted the longer you play it...and I put quite a few hours into that game). But it is definitely a HUGE improvement over previous versions of FIFA. I think they´re making some serious strides towards an excellent soccer title....and with the N. American release of Winning Eleven, they´re gonna need to improve.
<BR>
Forum moderation: DEFCON 2

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

First off: again I am reminded why I love this site so much; another superb review, Jared!
<BR>
<BR>Question 1: anyone out there tried the Cube version? I noticed in WC 2002, the Cube version had no stuttering or frame-rate issues, whereas the PS2 version suffered occasionally from these. Also, the GC version´s load times were near enough to nill.
<BR>
<BR>Question 2: re: scripted gameplay. You mentioned in your review that it is an excellent 2 player game. Does it still feel scrpited in 2 player? I´ve certainly noticed substantial, even essential differences with most sports games when playing v. human vs. playing v. computer, none more so than in soccer or hockey games (but it has also proved true in football and hoops). Indeed, WC 2002 was actually pretty free and enjoyable when playing 2 on 2. So, I guess the question is, A.) have you tried 2 on 2, or more people than 1 on 1, and B.) have you found 1 on 1 (human v. human) to be a satisfying competition, or does it eventually boil down to running the same patterns over and over? That is, does it feel less scripted when playing against a human, or are you really just sort of along for the ride?
<BR>
<BR>Play of balls in the air has always been a problem with me for FIFA, whereas Konami never seems to have had any problem in making that area of the game fun, satisfyng, and even realistic to an extent. You mention in your review that you had issues with this area; is it improved significantly over FIFA WC 2002 or only slightly? I had SO MUCH trouble one-timing the ball in FIFAs past, even with passes, but especially on high balls; inevitably, the player would trap it, then shoot (or whatever), when in many cases (close to the goal) a real player would just bang it towards the goal with his chest, or go low for a header, etc. How does this area of gameplay compare to WC 2002, in your opinion, Jared?
<BR>
<BR>

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Thanks for the kind words Hugo. I´ll try to answer some of your questions:
<BR>
<BR>1) I have no idea. EA sent us a beta copy of the Gamecube version. Unfortunately, we don´t have anyone that can play GC betas, and I myself don´t have a GC. Does anyone with a GC know?
<BR>
<BR>2) Human v. human is pretty satisfying, I´d have to say. There are still some problems with scripted play (mainly on crosses and headers...that whole jump straight up and just head the ball thing), but otherwise it´s a pretty wide open game. I soooooo wish they had online play with the PS2 version, because this seems like a game that is difficult to "cheese" with. Still waiting for the PC version...but that´ll truly let me know if this is a great multiplayer title or if there are some things that can be easily taken advantage of.
<BR>
<BR>3) It depends on the type of one-timer. If it´s a through-ball/other ground pass, then it´s pretty easy to just one-time it towards the goal (although it´s more difficult to aim the shot...I think it´s a great bit of realism). Volleys off of crosses are a bit more difficult...I´ve had them happen, but not often. Of course, I also rely mostly on a ground passing attack....very few crosses (since they tend to be ineffectual for me). So volleys might be easier than I think...I´ll have to try more variance with that.
<BR>
<BR>Have you picked up a version of the game yet, Hugo? Let me know if you have any other questions.
Forum moderation: DEFCON 2