State of sports games - season modes

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

State of sports games - season modes

Post by fanatic2 »

Hey all - long time no post but always like checking in to see what games are being discussed :)

At the moment, I'm definitely in a love/hate relationship with gaming in general...

With non-sports single player games like Cyberpunk/Spiderman, I find myself really engaged for the first 8 or so hours. However, at some point, I start to get really bogged down by these games. I just end up being bored of the combat - and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of time I have to invest etc...Staying up too late, all that stuff.

Sports games used to be my comfort zone. Playing seasons of the old Winning Eleven, NHL2K, NFL2K, NBA2K, MLBTheShow were simply the best.

Obviously sports games have evolved into something much more in terms of all of the modes nowadays. And I really haven't played many in the past few years. When I boot up trials like EA FC, I find them a bit arcadey but realize sliders probably improved things as well.

I'm currently without a console and have decided to not dive into these long non-sports games for the mental health reasons of just feeling like they take things over. However, the idea of playing sports game seasons still appeal to me.

Do you guys think that despite the mess that is today's sports games, that the AI gameplay is still solid enough to hold up like it used to? I feel like maybe the show and nba are my safest bets?

Just curious what you guys think about the state of single-player offline sports gaming! Thanks :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: State of sports games - season modes

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I play Ultimate team in EA FC (Fifa) and that’s about it. I am like you…8-10 hours in the big budget titles then I’m bored. Seasons in a sports game are a thing of the past. No real improvements in the last few years for any of the franchises so I play a few games here and there and then come back every once in a while. I am coming to the point where I won’t be buying yearly sports games until we get to the next gen of consoles.

I’ve transitioned to retro gaming. A lot less time consuming and with the advantages of the retro consoles (hundreds of games, save states, etc) it just fits my habits a lot better now.

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Ok - guess I'm not the only one.

Too bad. I feel like these sports games pulled me into video gaming in general, but just haven't evolved in the way I would have liked.

Maybe a Steam Deck OLED would give me that gaming fix but in smaller chunks.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I haven’t played a season or franchise in Madden or NBA in years. I do play a s***-ton of online H2H in Madden though.

It may sound odd, but I think EA’s PGA Tour may scratch the itch you’re describing. I think it’s a very underrated game and it’s the single player experience that really shines IMO.
GT = Wilk5280

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:23 pm
I haven’t played a season or franchise in Madden or NBA in years. I do play a s***-ton of online H2H in Madden though.

It may sound odd, but I think EA’s PGA Tour may scratch the itch you’re describing. I think it’s a very underrated game and it’s the single player experience that really shines IMO.
Haven't watched golf in years, but just checked out some game reviews - This looks pretty cool!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fanatic2 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:30 pm

Too bad. I feel like these sports games pulled me into video gaming in general, but just haven't evolved in the way I would have liked.

Overkill - and way too big. Get an Odin 2. Absolutely fantastic Android device that does all of the emulation you can possibly want...including Switch. Been using it for about a week now and I love it. Yes, the Steam Deck can do the same emulation and adds in PC gaming of course, but at twice the cost and size and half the battery life.

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:53 pm
fanatic2 wrote:

Overkill - and way too big. Get an Odin 2. Absolutely fantastic Android device that does all of the emulation you can possibly want...including Switch. Been using it for about a week now and I love it. Yes, the Steam Deck can do the same emulation and adds in PC gaming of course, but at twice the cost and size and half the battery life.
I will check it out thanks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I still like competing in season mode in racing games, especially if the game is officially licensed and if there's NOT a management mode.

I just want to race the entire real season against the real drivers and machines the game depicts. If the game has a management or story mode, I'll pass.

I did do a few full seasons of Canadian junior hockey in offline modes of past NHL games, but now it seems like every season mode in every team sports game involves management, online play or some other BS that doesn't interest me. Just give me the real team, the real schedule and let me play. I don't want to play GM. I don't want to play owner. I just want to play the games.

Very much enjoying the Career mode in EA's latest -- and very underrated -- PGA Tour game. I created a golfer and am seeing him gain skill and climb the ranks by playing events on the Korn Ferry Tour en route to the PGA Tour. No BS. Just golf. Fun!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I've been playing seasons in Madden/NCAA 14. Short. No 82 game slog through the doldrums of the middle of the season. After 5 or so seasons I change teams.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:53 pm
fanatic2 wrote:

Got a Steam Deck and barely play it. That Odin 2 looks interesting.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

EA PGA Tour Career mode was excellent for him but it only lasted a month. It was when I was learning the game and trying up skill up my golfer. It was the most fun I had in a season mode in quite some time.

I am doing a NHL 24 season mode now. First one I've done in probably over 10 years. Its ok. Nothing special.

I am doing Madden all 32 team offline franchise playing games from week to week following the real NFL schedule. I'm having fun with that because I like playing different teams. Madden will eventually put out the Playoff schedule to match the real world when the playoffs start i think.