Is it Redundant to own both XBX ans PS5?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Is it Redundant to own both XBX ans PS5?

Post by Lancer »

I was thinking of picking up a PS5 for Spider Man 2.

But that would also mean I'd need to buy another 4K TV and a TV stand etc...

Was thinking maybe not worth it just for one game. It's close to $1000 for all those things.

Is it worth having both? 95 percent of the games are on both systems.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Is it Redundant to own both XBX ans PS5?

Post by pk500 »

I say hell, no. But I'm a cheap f*ck, and I'm not you.

If exclusives and gaming mean a lot to you, then go for it if you think you'll get $1,000 of value and entertainment through its lifespan.

Nobody can make this decision but you, dude. It's your money. Your time. Your hobbies.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Lancer, check your PMs
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

i got my xbox series x for free because I used years of gift cards to buy it.

Same will happen with PS5. I think I have like 490 bucks of target gift cards saved up in my account accumulated the last 4 years. so basically I'll be paying tax for the system.

The spiderman 2 bundle seems the right way to go because it comes w/ the spider man 2 game for free and it's the new ps5 slim edition console.

But what are must have games for PS5? The obvious one I am really excited about is GT7. I see it got crapped on Metacritic by users but all the reviewers say its great. I am playing Forza Motorsport 8 right now on Xbox X and really digging it. But the problem with me and racing games now in my older age is if it gets too tough for me I switch it on easy mode and win the race. I know I shouldn't do it but i can't help it and it really kills the competitive factor for me vs the cpu ai.

Does GT7 have it where I can't just switch it on easy? Or even on Easy it gives me a good challenge? That's why I enjoyed Driveclub for PS4. It got very hard but it didnt give you any options to cheat your away around.

Also, god of war on ps5 seems like it's very good but I've never been a fan of the god of war games. I may give this one a shot though.

Anything else?

The only negative about PS5 will be buying games again. At least on Xbox with Gamepass, all the MS exclusives are on there so it's a win win. If the game is good I get a great game for free. If it sucks well then glad I didnt spend 80 bucks. Speaking of which - is online for PS5 free or I have to buy ps plus? I am not going to buy the fancy ps plus since I already have gamepass 'free' for another year and I don't want to spend monthly on another gaming sub.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My PS5 is all about single player games. Just a tremendous system for single player games.
Ghosts Of Tsushima is fabulous (upgraded for the PS5)
The Last of Us 1 & 2 (Upgraded for the PS5)
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnorok
Spider-Man 1, Miles Morales and now 2
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:06 am
My PS5 is all about single player games. Just a tremendous system for single player games.
Ghosts Of Tsushima is fabulous (upgraded for the PS5)
The Last of Us 1 & 2 (Upgraded for the PS5)
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnorok
Spider-Man 1, Miles Morales and now 2
This is the correct answer.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

how hard is GT7 for a causal racing gamer? I've been reading that it's a very high learning curve even on easy.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:39 pm
how hard is GT7 for a causal racing gamer? I've been reading that it's a very high learning curve even on easy.
You can set GT7 as easy or as difficult as you like. The one that jumped out to me was just how professional looking the game is. The devs put so much love and care in to this game. They also do a tremendous job explaining what each modification to your car does. I personally enjoy it more than Forza Motorsport, which doesn't seem to have evolved very much.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It cannot be overstated how much more immersive the haptics are on PS5 controller. It really is step above the standard Xbox Series X controller.

My personal favorite games on the PS5 have been the following.

Astro's Playroom (the haptics are so nice in this game)
Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart
Spider-Man Remastered
Spider-Man Miles Morales
God Of War (haven't played the sequel)
Spider-Man 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us part 2
GT 7

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Picked up the slim at target and man this thing is nice.

came with the spiderman 2 game which I will try later.

I see that for new PS players, EA Play is only $1 for 1 month. Then you can continue to pay $5 or cancel. That's a great deal and I'll give this a shot to try the 2024 new EA games for 10 hours each.

I ordered GT7 from Amazon and it says it'll deliver today! Let's see if Bezos is that good on his delivery promise.

So far so good. It's a cool system. I will need to check the disc when I get a physical game.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I ordered GT7 off Amazon at 5pm. Got to my door at 730pm. Same Day free shipping. This is why Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world.

This GT7 game took a while to install. It got me fooled by starting so I had to do this music race thing. But it took a while to install after that.

One XBOX when it installs a game it shows ready to play but also has a meter to show you that it's not fully installed and how many precent it's installed.

Does the PS5 UI do something similar? I didn't see it so I never knew if the full game installed. Then I got a notification it did but it would have been nice to know the progress.

Another thing I think Xbox does better is the importance of trophies/Achievements. on Xbox, when you get an achievement, the UI really makes you feel like it's an important thing. That you earned something big. The chime or the special chime on the rare achievement in the bottom middle of the screen makes it feel like an accomplishment.

But on PS, all their systems, its like an afterthought. it's this wimpy chime and it appears on the top right hand corner and you never even notice it. I think on GT7 I got like 3/4 trophies and I don't even remember 1. I wished they copied xbox because there are games I've played just to get xbox achievements.

Other than those two day 1 gripes this system is fantastic. Like you all said the Haptic controller is a game changer. I am now going thru a mid life gaming crisis where I feel like I need to replay all the sports games I have for XBOX on PS5. Just to sense the controller difference.

I'll post more impressions later - I think I'm still in new toy mode but so far it's been incredible. But the graphic quality of GT7 just is so much better than Forza Motorsport. And the Spider Man 2 game, OMG, I just did the recap thing because I dont follow these super hero movies and dont know the back story but it's the most impressive graphical game I have ever witness.

- added - btw EA PLAY is $1 for the first month for new PS5 users. I will take advantage of that and play the 2024 games and comapre them vs their xbox counterparts. Sort of like the old days when we compared snes vs genesis , ps2 vs xb

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

is it normal for ps5 to have a low hum when playing. i can't hear it unless I turn volume to mute.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:14 pm
is it normal for ps5 to have a low hum when playing. i can't hear it unless I turn volume to mute.
It’s not normal. I’ve had mine since launch and it’s whisper quiet.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:11 pm
Lancer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:14 pm
It’s not normal. I’ve had mine since launch and it’s whisper quiet.
i asked in reddit and people are saying it's fine. It's not very loud just the fan working. They said the PS5 is quiet but not as quiet as XBX.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I’d like to get my hands on the Digital Slim console, but I can’t even find it listed anywhere. I’d take it in the shorts on a trade-in of my current launch disk version, but I really want a smaller form factor. The thing is just way too big.
GT = Wilk5280

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:04 am
I’d like to get my hands on the Digital Slim console, but I can’t even find it listed anywhere. I’d take it in the shorts on a trade-in of my current launch disk version, but I really want a smaller form factor. The thing is just way too big.

so the rumor is that when the Playstation Black Friday sale starts this Friday, they will discount the PHAT PS5's and the original Digital PS5s. Not sure how much of a discount, but rumor is probably like $50.

The new slim digital is $50 more $450 vs the original digital which was $399.

I was told just to buy the Phat one before I bought the slim but the selling point of the slim is it's smaller. If it was the size of the original I probably would not buy it. That size does matter to fit it on my gaming tv stand.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Have any of you PS5 guys played Returnal.

A lot of the PS5 Reddit users are saying it's the best PS5 game out there.

I'll research it but any opinions here.

I see it's not FPS which is good for me.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:11 am
It cannot be overstated how much more immersive the haptics are on PS5 controller. It really is step above the standard Xbox Series X controller.

Spider-Man Remastered
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us part 2
GT 7

Sportdan - is GOW on PS5 like Elden Ring but not as hard? Or is it a completely different type of game?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 pm
sportdan30 wrote:

Spider-Man Remastered
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us part 2
GT 7

Sportdan - is GOW on PS5 like Elden Ring but not as hard? Or is it a completely different type of game?
God of War is challenging, it has different skill settings. I played on normal, but there were a few instances I had to lower the difficulty to easy. It's an amazing experience with a very good story. Visually, it looks beautiful.

I highly recommend Ratchet and Clank. Challenging yet fair, and it's just a blast to play.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

it sucks that the ps plus sub does not include EA Play . I would gladly pay for the upper PS PLUS sub's if they had included it like Gamepass Ultimate does.

But for $30 a year it's still a great deal. I think I will hold off on subscribing until later this year when all the 24 games are available. Madden 24 will be available in the vault around superbowl time and NHL when the playoffs start.

But the big deal next year doing to be NCAA/College Football 25. I'll have EA Play for 10 hours on each console to determine which console to get that game on.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:36 pm
Lancer wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 pm
sportdan30 wrote:

Spider-Man Remastered
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us part 2
GT 7

God of War is challenging, it has different skill settings. I played on normal, but there were a few instances I had to lower the difficulty to easy. It's an amazing experience with a very good story. Visually, it looks beautiful.

I highly recommend Ratchet and Clank. Challenging yet fair, and it's just a blast to play.
Just bought GOW before the BF sale ended. I'll try to play it this week -definately next weekend if I can't get to it this week. Also bought Hogwarts game as well.

update - well i couldn't resist and played til around midnight. OMG, this is so far one of the best and most different games I've ever played! I love the fantasy book aspect of it. The codex where you read the characters bio's is like reading Game of Thrones. I've never played a GOW game really and this is so incredible thus far. I just got done w/ the Bear fight and it was incredible.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

GOW is an incredible game. I remember being mad that it beat out Red Dead Redemption 2 for game of the year that year….then I played it and understood.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
FYI, Digital Slims are out there now.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:48 am
Wilk5280 wrote:
FYI, Digital Slims are out there now.
I was just thinking maybe I should have got the digital slim. I know it's only a $50 difference but the last few games I've digitally downloaded. The difference between digital price and disc price for those games was like $5-$10 dollars each. So that's like 3 games I could have bought the disc version and say I would have saved $25 and reselling them probably made more.

But not having to get off my ass, press the eject button, and take one disc out and put another disc is is probably worth that 25 bucks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:41 pm
But not having to get off my ass, press the eject button, and take one disc out and put another disc is is probably worth that 25 bucks.
It is. Take that from someone who was highly skeptical of the convenience factor of digital games but now hasn't bought a physical disc game in five years.

I'll never buy a disc game again.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425