EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by Rodster »

Any of you guys interested in this? The last golf game they did was pretty much a flop (no pun intended).

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-ge ... 0-6489436/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: EA Sports PGA Tour Series

Post by 10spro »

The TW series was fun, had beautiful graphics and some suspect gameplay mechanics. It wasn’t as sim-like as 2K is trying to make it so it would appeal to a more arcade fan base or in between. Competition is always good.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm very interested to see what they do with this. There's not a whole lot to go on at this point, other than it will be using the Frostbite engine and that "fans will have the option to play against and as some of the biggest names in professional golf"... an obvious shot at PGA TOUR 2K21 where you can only see highlights of the 'included' pros playing shots on other holes. The Frostbite engine only delivered a game that looked good in screen shots in Rory Mcilroy PGA TOUR on the XBox One and PS4. It's swing mechanic and putting game left a lot to be desired, IMO. We know from Tiger 10 - 14 that they can do better than that.

I'll be paying attention, but right now I feel like I've got a new golf game in PGA TOUR 2K21, now that they've added the 60 Hz vsync option for 60 FPS gameplay on my Series X. It'll definitely make the wait for the next EA Sports golf game a lot more tolerable than it has been in years past!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The only negative I can see from this deal is licensing. Will the PGA Tour license its players to both games? Or will we see annoying Balkanization of licensing like we see in FIFA and Pro Evo soccer games?

Pro Evo's licensing is pitiful, a real detriment to those who can't download option files on the PS5. Meanwhile, FIFA doesn't have Juventus in its most recent game due to an exclusive licensing deal with Konami for Pro Evo.

One would think Tiger won't be in the EA game simply because 2K just shelled out presumably a healthy fee to land his license and endorsement. That will hurt EA because regardless of what any pimp of golf's young stars will tell you, Tiger remains the most popular and well-known golfer on Earth, and it's not even close. It's somewhat similar to boxing -- Mike Tyson still remains the most popular and well-known boxer on Earth, and he has been retired for more than 15 years.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

EA VS 2K - competition will be good for both golf games.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

2K got Tiger and maybe EA tries to grab all the majors. That would be a big coup but cost EA a ton of money. The one area where 2K's golf game still lacks is graphics. Are they still using the Unity engine in the current game? You know, EA is going to dial up the graphics on next-gen consoles.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm all for competition in the sports gaming space. I really liked TW13 and 14 a lot and if they go back to that approach I'll be more than happy to have EA join the fray again. Something about going through and Mastering the courses and such was a lot of fun for me and added a little more replay value than just basically trying to improve your skill and score.

I don't have much confidence in it though, after the abomination that was Rory's PGA Tour. Prove me wrong, EA... please!
GT = Wilk5280

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:05 pm
I'm all for competition in the sports gaming space. I really liked TW13 and 14 a lot and if they go back to that approach I'll be more than happy to have EA join the fray again. Something about going through and Mastering the courses and such was a lot of fun for me and added a little more replay value than just basically trying to improve your skill and score.

I don't have much confidence in it though, after the abomination that was Rory's PGA Tour. Prove me wrong, EA... please!
Tiger 13 and 10 were my favorites of the series. Tiger 14 would have been if they hadn't botched the True-Aim camera presentation so badly that it wouldn't even function in the game. Update Tiger 13 with the Frostbite engine, throw in at least a half dozen PGA TOUR pro's mo-capped swings in, and give us a True-Aim camera presentation option in which the user can control the point at which the landing camera switch occurs, and I'm in.

Rory was as you say an abomination. It had the worst analog swing interface of any golf game made in this century. It needed a tempo component that felt intuitive and didn't rely on a green bubble to light to let you know when to start your downswing. 2K21's tempo component adds another dimension to the game, but it's impact on the shot result is a bit counter-intuitive. I would expect tempo to affect pull and push, not hook and slice, as they've done it in that game, but that tempo feel when you get it right is still there.

My excitement for the next EA Sports golf game won't get a real pulse until I see they've done something to step away from that dreadful RMPGAT swing interface.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 pm
The only negative I can see from this deal is licensing. Will the PGA Tour license its players to both games? Or will we see annoying Balkanization of licensing like we see in FIFA and Pro Evo soccer games?

Pro Evo's licensing is pitiful, a real detriment to those who can't download option files on the PS5. Meanwhile, FIFA doesn't have Juventus in its most recent game due to an exclusive licensing deal with Konami for Pro Evo.

One would think Tiger won't be in the EA game simply because 2K just shelled out presumably a healthy fee to land his license and endorsement. That will hurt EA because regardless of what any pimp of golf's young stars will tell you, Tiger remains the most popular and well-known golfer on Earth, and it's not even close. It's somewhat similar to boxing -- Mike Tyson still remains the most popular and well-known boxer on Earth, and he has been retired for more than 15 years.
You've raised a couple of points I really hadn't thought of. Will we see a Bryson DeChambeau animated avatar in both games, or will the likenesses be limited to one game? I can see the names appearing in both games, but nothing beyond that. I didn't realize that FIFA doesn't have Juvetntus in it because of a team licensing restriction 8O That's a bit extreme there. I'm sure we'll see some things that will have us raising our eyebrows over licensing between PGA TOUR 2K2X and EA Sports Golf 202X, however.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I agree that the notion of courses and players being exclusive to one game or another would be annoying.

That said, I like EA golf. I liked Tiger, and I liked Rory. They screwed Rory up a ton, but it was still fun to play on the course, for me. They should have delayed it a year or two, until it was done. It felt like an empty shell of a game.

But it could easily be updated and given some life. Really only care about courses. The more real courses the better. I'd prefer a golf game marketed like Links. But the game, buy course packs. Keep it simple. Create an online community of clubs and tournaments, to go along with some sort of career mode that actually tracks stats.

If EA just does that, keeps it simple, I think it could be a good return. But who knows? Last time they released a game and said, "Maybe we will finish it..." And then they didn't.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

"EA's PGA Tour Golf Game Will Feature The Masters And Augusta National, And That's A Big Deal"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-p ... 0-6489858/

"A new landing page for EA Sports PGA Tour also states that the new game will have all four Major events--The Masters, the PGA Championship, the US Open, and The Open. EA says its game will be the only one to offer not only The Masters, but all four Majors."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A classic example of Gamespot sucking EA's c*ck, as usual.

The addition of The Masters is not really that big of a deal, considering Magnolia National (Augusta) for The Golf Club was just as pretty and detailed -- if not more -- than the EA versions in TW Golf.

The licensed Masters graphics over leaderboards, theme music, etc., will be nice. But all of the majors courses have been available on The Golf Club/PGA Tour 2K21.

Licensed majors also are nice if there is a Season mode in which players can pick and choose tournaments to enter to qualify for the FedEx Cup. But otherwise, zippity-do-dah.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I think for the core golf/sports gamer, you're absolutely right, PK.

But if there's one sports genre that absolutely NEEDS the more casual sports gamer's interest, it's golf. There's a reason 2K shelled out the money for Tiger and same for EA, with Augusta. I joked all the time that you'd think Tiger sold better than Madden based on how much the EA sales and marketing teams got off on the presentation of golf courses, that middle-aged guy is who they're after with these announcements.

But once the Wii sales faded away, and after the first-year buzz of The Masters wore off, the Tiger series sales went in the tank, big time. I'm surprised that we're seeing the big two sports publishers choosing to fight over this relatively small market
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

How much did EA pay this time. All four Majors going back to PGA tour.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2021/05/17 ... ox-series/

Game releases next spring, can’t wait to see it on gamepass.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

10spro wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:25 pm
How much did EA pay this time. All four Majors going back to PGA tour.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2021/05/17 ... ox-series/

Game releases next spring, can’t wait to see it on gamepass.
let's see if they truly create a PGA tour or just a shitastical borked version of it.

I bet 90% of the dev is going to make it the online ultimate team card s***

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Old course at St. Andrews and the Open Championship have been added to the list.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-sp ... 0-6493915/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JOZ wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:48 am
Delayed to spring of '23

https://www.trueachievements.com/n49088 ... ur-delayed
That's OK. I don't think many people here were too excited to see EA's new rainbow ball trails and the ability to curve and shape shots mid-air like "The Matrix," anyways. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't know, I was kind of excited because it would be nice to have a decent single player career mode.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Gameplay reveal coming on Thursday 1/19. Hope the game delivers.

https://youtu.be/XeJ_KuMZPb4
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

TBH just give me '13 or '14 with the improved graphics and framerate of the new hardware and I'm sold. I loved both of those games!
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Did 2K Sports lose the PGA Tour license or did the Tour issue the license to multiple developers, including EA? Quite weird if the latter, as exclusivity is almost a prerequisite for sports licensing deals these days.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:51 pm
Did 2K Sports lose the PGA Tour license or did the Tour issue the license to multiple developers, including EA? Quite weird if the latter, as exclusivity is almost a prerequisite for sports licensing deals these days.
I do not believe the PGA license is exclusive. I think EA has exclusivity on some of the big time courses like Augusta, etc. 2K still can use the PGA license.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Gameplay trailer. Courses/graphics look great. I like what I see.
https://youtu.be/XeJ_KuMZPb4
PSN Name - EPDiablo25