MLB The Show 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 21

Post by Lancer »

I got the gamepass copy and playing it on xbox one (s).

The xbox last gen version frame rate is really really bad. It sort of stutters throughout - this is offline.

I had the game on ps4 last year and it was much smoother than what I'm experiencing on xbox one.

Anyone else on xbox one having the same experience with really bad framerates?

I've read on xbox Series X and PS5, there is no issue w/ the framerate - everything plays silky smooth.

If anyone has the ps4 version - let me know how it plays . if it experiences the same framerate issues as xbox one.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:57 pm

The xbox last gen version frame rate is really really bad. It sort of stutters throughout - this is offline.

I had the game on ps4 last year and it was much smoother than what I'm experiencing on xbox one.

I've read on xbox Series X and PS5, there is no issue w/ the framerate - everything plays silky smooth.

If anyone has the ps4 version - let me know how it plays . if it experiences the same framerate issues as xbox one.
It was a stuttering mess on even the PS4 Pro - and always has been, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the even lower powered Xbox One and regular PS4 have issues. Definitely not an issue on the Series X I'm playing on now.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm
Lancer wrote:

It was a stuttering mess on even the PS4 Pro - and always has been, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the even lower powered Xbox One and regular PS4 have issues. Definitely not an issue on the Series X I'm playing on now.

ok cool. i have the 20 on ps4 but don't remember it being this laggy. maybe ill try 20 on ps4 tonight to compare.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Lancer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Lancer wrote:

ok cool. i have the 20 on ps4 but don't remember it being this laggy. maybe ill try 20 on ps4 tonight to compare.
I played one game of the game pass version on my OG Xbox one last night and it was smooth. Not once did I think man this is laggy. I was set to balanced 1440p in the video settings which is default cause I didn’t change it.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Played my first game and I'm in love with pinpoint pitching, which I figured I would be since I enjoyed MLB 2k.

Won 9-4 in a play now live roster game and it was an amazing experience!

What's the difference between The Show presentation package vs MLB network?
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm
What's the difference between The Show presentation package vs MLB network?
Just the graphics.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Just the graphics.
Thanks, I'll have to play a game with the MLBN theme. I like directional hitting so far, moving that yellow aiming target is too hard right now for me.

:)

Had a HR that was reviewed and called foul (which is was) kind of cool.. someone threw a beach ball on the field. There are so many "little things" in this game.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lost to the Brewers 7-3.. just like real life! ;)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Is it still possible to select what you want to be in RTTS? I started two new games and both times it defaulted to infielders. I like to be a SP in RTTS. I feel more involved in the game that way.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am mostly a Diamond Dynasty mode player. Really enjoying "Showdown" so far. High risks, high rewards. Lots of missions to accomplish, its a grind in the end. Keep switching between MLB 15/ High strike zone for hitting and meter I have been a meter pitching guy always. Will try the new Pinpoint mode as well.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Anyone play March to October? Seems like a great way to get through seasons.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 pm
Anyone play March to October? Seems like a great way to get through seasons.
I did last year with the Mets, it was a good alternative to not having a Season mode where you can just have a short 30 game season

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Finally got to play tonight, played the intro game then immediately jumped to a franchise with the White Sox. Won 2-1 vs the Angels on a 9th inning home run. I had a no hitter going through 6 innings with Giolito and he has 10 K's and I'm using pulse pitching and got a too early on a high fastball and said "ut oh" and then whoever was up went yard on me but it was the only hit I gave up.

Really enjoyed it since its been 3 or so years since I played. Really wish it was on the PC so I could sit close to the screen. Game took about 45 minutes which is really long to play a 162 game season.

I was on a an Xb1X not the new series X and I didn't notice any lag or stuttering at all.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:52 pm

I did last year with the Mets, it was a good alternative to not having a Season mode where you can just have a short 30 game season
I think it's multi season now correct?

Beat the Cubbies, 6-1 had back to back homers with Goldie and Arenado. Martinez pitched a great game and went 6 innings only allowing one run.

The cool thing about pinpoint pitching is each pitcher is different, so it takes a few pitches to really get their style down.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I tried pinpoint. Too wacky, maybe I’ll keep trying it. I messed around with some of the other modes. Battle Royale was really fun. Conquest made my head hurt.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

TheTruth wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Lancer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:

I played one game of the game pass version on my OG Xbox one last night and it was smooth. Not once did I think man this is laggy. I was set to balanced 1440p in the video settings which is default cause I didn’t change it.
Can you tell me where the 1440 setting is?

I downloaded in OG Xbox and it ran smoother than my XBO S. You would think the newer xbo s model would be smoother.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This is an extraordinary sports video game. So special.

After playing the tech demo and just one night of the full retail product, I put The Show 21 right up there with FIFA 21 as my favorite team sports video game on the market. Anyone who puts the overrated NBA 2K21 into the comparison blender with The Show hit the pipe a bit too hard yesterday on 4/20.

And I can't stress enough: I LOVE global soccer. I could care less about Major League Baseball. I received a gold card yesterday of some Kansas City Royals player, and I had no clue who he was. Such a contrast from when I was a kid, when I knew everyone in MLB. Yet I still stayed up until 2 a.m. playing The Show.

Everything in this game just feels so right, real and organic. I also LOVE the various pitching, hitting, fielding, throwing and baserunning styles provided by the developers.

I instantly migrated to Meter pitching because it felt like the later stages of EA's Triple Play, the last baseball series I played and enjoyed. But Meter pitching was just too damn accurate. I'm playing Medium skill level -- whatever that's called, Veteran? -- and when I whiffed 19 Dodgers as the Yankees in one game, I knew it was time to change.

So, I switched to Pinpoint. Took me awhile to figure it out, but now I think it's badass. Such a cool way to pitch. Same with Analog batting. I love using the right stick to hit instead of pressing buttons. It just feels right. Plus, I've worked on a keyboard every day for the last 33 years, so my hands are really sensitive to button-mashing. Using Pinpoint Pitching and Analog batting really saves wear-and-tear on my hands. I cannot afford to get carpal tunnel with my job, even for a week.

I was so jazzed for this game after playing the Tech Demo. And The Show 21 has even exceeded the hype. What a game.

You PlayStation cats were right: The best sports game on the market has been hiding in plain sight of Xbox owners for more than a decade before this year. I don't know how this game landed on GamePass on Day One as a Sony title -- rumors are MLB forced the deal -- but I am beyond grateful.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I admire you cats who can use Pulse pitching. It drove me nuts from the first time I used it. Reminded me of a bad mushroom trip.

"THE STRIKE ZONE IS BREATHING, MAN!" :) :) :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 am
I admire you cats who can use Pulse pitching. It drove me nuts from the first time I used it. Reminded me of a bad mushroom trip.

"THE STRIKE ZONE IS BREATHING, MAN!" :) :) :)
I haven't tried pinpoint yet but for me Pulse is quick but also leads to inaccuracy more then metered. As your guy gets tired or is in stressful situation that pulse gets quicker or different sizes so you can't be as accurate, also the pulse circle is large for pitches he doesn't throw as well.

I'll try pinpoint but I need the game to move a bit.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Speaking of the game length, what are people doing to get reasonable time per game and not lose the charm of this game?

Ideally I'd like games to take 30 minutes.

Any advice?

Also batting view, I left the default fish eye but I am not picking up the pitches well.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 am
Speaking of the game length, what are people doing to get reasonable time per game and not lose the charm of this game?

Any advice?

Also batting view, I left the default fish eye but I am not picking up the pitches well.
Try switching to HYBRID for presentation. And maybe try quick counts on. I usually switch over to FAST PLAY but you do miss a lot of the cool replays and presentation bits.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 am

Any advice?

Use 'Zoom' Camera for hitting. It gives you a nice view of the stadium and feel like you're playing in a ballpark. Retro Camera is also good and so is MLB 15 Camera but MLB 15 is a little too low for me.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am
This is an extraordinary sports video game. So special.

After playing the tech demo and just one night of the full retail product, I put The Show 21 right up there with FIFA 21 as my favorite team sports video game on the market. Anyone who puts the overrated NBA 2K21 into the comparison blender with The Show hit the pipe a bit too hard yesterday on 4/20.

And I can't stress enough: I LOVE global soccer. I could care less about Major League Baseball. I received a gold card yesterday of some Kansas City Royals player, and I had no clue who he was. Such a contrast from when I was a kid, when I knew everyone in MLB. Yet I still stayed up until 2 a.m. playing The Show.

Everything in this game just feels so right, real and organic. I also LOVE the various pitching, hitting, fielding, throwing and baserunning styles provided by the developers.

I instantly migrated to Meter pitching because it felt like the later stages of EA's Triple Play, the last baseball series I played and enjoyed. But Meter pitching was just too damn accurate. I'm playing Medium skill level -- whatever that's called, Veteran? -- and when I whiffed 19 Dodgers as the Yankees in one game, I knew it was time to change.

So, I switched to Pinpoint. Took me awhile to figure it out, but now I think it's badass. Such a cool way to pitch. Same with Analog batting. I love using the right stick to hit instead of pressing buttons. It just feels right. Plus, I've worked on a keyboard every day for the last 33 years, so my hands are really sensitive to button-mashing. Using Pinpoint Pitching and Analog batting really saves wear-and-tear on my hands. I cannot afford to get carpal tunnel with my job, even for a week.

I was so jazzed for this game after playing the Tech Demo. And The Show 21 has even exceeded the hype. What a game.

You PlayStation cats were right: The best sports game on the market has been hiding in plain sight of Xbox owners for more than a decade before this year. I don't know how this game landed on GamePass on Day One as a Sony title -- rumors are MLB forced the deal -- but I am beyond grateful.
Which Xbox are you on? Do you get frame rate issues? And what are your resolution settings? I m still getting real bad choppy framerate at times on xbox one S (last gen).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm on an OG Xbox One. Not even an S. Maybe one or two framerate hiccups for an entire nine-inning game. No clue about my resolution settings -- whatever is default.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Cool little feature not sure if many of you know about. When you're up to bat and have runners on, you can click the right stick in before the pitch and get a look at the fielders arm strength, accuracy, etc. Helps when you want to go from first to third or second to home.