MLB The Show 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 21

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:19 pm
Isn't Dynamic Difficulty like "rubberband AI"? I typically turn that off in any games I play. Do most people play with it on?

Also, is this a bug? I had runners on 1st and 3rd, I hit the batter & the game suddenly ended.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ot&o=OneUp
It takes innings or full games to move up or down in terms of skill level so it doesn’t work like a rubber band AI.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Yeah, thanks! I’ve turned it back on and it certainly helps make the games more “active”. I still can’t believe how great it is to have an MLB game again (never had a PS).
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

greggsand wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 am
Yeah, thanks! I’ve turned it back on and it certainly helps make the games more “active”. I still can’t believe how great it is to have an MLB game again (never had a PS).
Glad you finally have one...and its a great one. I haven’t played much the past two days due to my coaching duties. Had a game Friday and a doubleheader on the road (gone all Fn day) yesterday. Didn’t get in until late and just went to bed. Can’t wait to get things going on my Diamond Dynasty team today. Plus, I want to mess with the stadium creator.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

greggsand wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:41 am
Holy crap this game is great. I seriously can’t believe how good it is. The player animations are so smooth and varied. Anyway, good stuff. A couple questions from a first timer:

1. For franchise games, it asks me to choose the weather before each game. Is there way to have it be random? Seems I odd I get to pick each day.

2. For Diamond Destiny, do most of you just play games vs the cpu? It seems to nudge you to playing other online, but am I missing something if I don’t?

I love the analog pitching. Im doing the cursor for batting. Analog batting seems too simple in its description. Is it? I like the challenge of getting the cursor in the general area of the pitch.
Gregg, Diamond Dynasty has a good bit of on and offline stuff. I RARELY play online. I play Conquest mostly. Conquest has three inning games where you try and win the map from the other teams by taking their territory by winning etc. There will be a tutorial once you start. It’s quick and fun. Showdown mode is also cool. Take a look at the video I posted on the last Feature Premiere. It explains all the DD modes.

Be sure to try Road to the Show. Great mode played from a different perspective.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:10 am
Greg, the franchise games weather is random each day, you just can just change it if you want.

I don’t play DD.

As for your controls make sure you have dynamic difficulty enabled with whatever scheme you choose. It really keeps the game realistic in terms of the stats you will accumulate.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Show.
What other suggestions do you have? Dynamic Difficulty/new pinpoint pitching?/hitting?

Someone also mentioned you can change the presentation and change it to broadcast? Any help you vets of The Show can give is greatly appreciated!!! I'll be ready next week to jump right in with the Cardinals. I'll use spring training to learn the game.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:58 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:10 am
Greg, the franchise games weather is random each day, you just can just change it if you want.

I don’t play DD.

As for your controls make sure you have dynamic difficulty enabled with whatever scheme you choose. It really keeps the game realistic in terms of the stats you will accumulate.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Show.
What other suggestions do you have? Dynamic Difficulty/new pinpoint pitching?/hitting?

Someone also mentioned you can change the presentation and change it to broadcast? Any help you vets of The Show can give is greatly appreciated!!! I'll be ready next week to jump right in with the Cardinals. I'll use spring training to learn the game.
There are tons of things you can change. As far as general presentation mode - I use “Hybrid” presentation. It still gives you some great replays, etc. but a game doesn’t take forever...like when you use “Broadcast” presentation.

I agree with DB, start with Dynamic difficulty. It will bring you up as you get better.

The best camera in the game for DEFENSE and OFFENSE is definitely Dynamic IMO. Just a super immersive camera.

Experiment with the hitting and pitching cameras...there are many. I usually use BROADCAST pitching camera. It is the literal CF TV camera position of whatever the home team is. Pretty cool. You will recognize the Cards camera I am sure. I use ZOOM hitting camera. It just suits my eye for pitch recognition and timing.

SPEAKING OF HITTING, it is essential that you try and pick up the pitch right out of the pitchers hand. I know that sounds elementary but if you don’t you wont recognize pitches and be able to lay off pitches out of the zone. Once you get some experience you should be able to draw some walks.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING INTO “OPTIONS EXPLORER” FIRST! IT WILL SHOW YOU ALL OF THE WAYS YOU CAN PITCH, HIT, FIELD AND THROW. AND IT ALLOWS YOU TO TRY ALL OF THEM FOR A FEW PITCHES. In the main menu scroll down to the bottom and you will see the OPTIONS EXPLORER there.

The Pinpoint Pitching is fun. I like Pulse pitching because it is somewhat challenging - its only one button push....just time the pulsating circle when it is at its smallest. The Pinpoint Pitching is definitely fun though. It’s growing on me.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sorry double post

Since this was a double post I will reiterate my suggestion above of going into the OPTIONS EXPLORER. You will thank me.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played all weekend. I'm 5-5 in my Cardinals franchise. Every game has been different and exciting. Some blow outs and some 1-0, 2-0, 4-3, etc games.

Started out on Veteran for hitting but quickly moved to All-Star which has been challenging but fair. I knew I had to make the switch when O'Neil, Carpenter, and DeJong were not striking out at all on Veteran. Oh has that changed! Striking out quite a bit now.

Switched from "classic" pitching to "pure analog". Pin point is fairly easy to learn, and hard to master. It's just not my cup of tea. I think analog is the happy medium, yet still challenging.

I'm playing on Hybrid to start the game and then move to Fast Play after the first inning. The great thing about fast play this year is that you can see highlights of your teams home runs as well as the opposition simply by pressing the L2 button. I don't feel like I'm missing too much now and I can get through games pretty darn quickly.

I started out without quick counts off, but after the first game, I now can't play without it on. It's personal preference, but it helps get you through the games a bit faster. I did raise the starter stamina one notch however to compensate for the seemingly higher number of pitches thrown.

The outfielders seem to cover a lot more ground this year. Someone like Bader is really fast in the outfield, as he should be.

Happy I don't play half my games in Miami. Those sea gulls or whatever birds that fly around are a little bit of a distraction. :)

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:35 am
Played all weekend. I'm 5-5 in my Cardinals franchise. Every game has been different and exciting. Some blow outs and some 1-0, 2-0, 4-3, etc games.

Started out on Veteran for hitting but quickly moved to All-Star which has been challenging but fair. I knew I had to make the switch when O'Neil, Carpenter, and DeJong were not striking out at all on Veteran. Oh has that changed! Striking out quite a bit now.

Switched from "classic" pitching to "pure analog". Pin point is fairly easy to learn, and hard to master. It's just not my cup of tea. I think analog is the happy medium, yet still challenging.

I'm playing on Hybrid to start the game and then move to Fast Play after the first inning. The great thing about fast play this year is that you can see highlights of your teams home runs as well as the opposition simply by pressing the L2 button. I don't feel like I'm missing too much now and I can get through games pretty darn quickly.

I started out without quick counts off, but after the first game, I now can't play without it on. It's personal preference, but it helps get you through the games a bit faster. I did raise the starter stamina one notch however to compensate for the seemingly higher number of pitches thrown.

The outfielders seem to cover a lot more ground this year. Someone like Bader is really fast in the outfield, as he should be.

Happy I don't play half my games in Miami. Those sea gulls or whatever birds that fly around are a little bit of a distraction. :)
I can’t play the game using the quick counts. The one thing I love about the show is working the count and getting into deep battles with the pitcher.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm all about quick counts...I'm not patient enough to actually take 4 balls to walk...I'd have literally zero walks if I didn't. Plus it just takes so long to play without them. It's a great option.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm
I'm all about quick counts...I'm not patient enough to actually take 4 balls to walk...I'd have literally zero walks if I didn't. Plus it just takes so long to play without them. It's a great option.
Exactly. And I find myself walking more batters with quick counts on because you can start in a 2-0, 3-1, and 3-2 count. They modified it a little bit last year by having more 1-1 counts.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Do they still have rain delays and postponements in the franchise mode? I loved those messing with you during a game.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zlax45 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:45 pm
Do they still have rain delays and postponements in the franchise mode? I loved those messing with you during a game.
Played a dozen or so game so far in franchise and I haven't seen it yet. Think it's only rained once tho.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm
Zlax45 wrote:
Played a dozen or so game so far in franchise and I haven't seen it yet. Think it's only rained once tho.
It was in there a few years ago when I played on PlayStation. It was kinda of fun to have a game randomly stop due to rain or mess with the rotation.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Zlax45 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm
Zlax45 wrote:
It was in there a few years ago when I played on PlayStation. It was kinda of fun to have a game randomly stop due to rain or mess with the rotation.
Just had a delay in a game last night. I choose to bring in a new pitcher when play resumed.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

If you get a chance, play this game with some nice headphones for at least a game. It sounds so nice with the PS5 Headphones.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

When does the Xbox version unlock? It says today but no time is listed.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 pm
IIRC it unlocks on the 20th if you have Game Pass.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm
Danimal wrote:
When I did the pre-load today it said the 19th so I guess 11pm Central time
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 pm
Rodster wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm
Danimal wrote:
When I did the pre-load today it said the 19th so I guess 11pm Central time
I tried starting the game 15 minutes ago and I got the message that I have to wait. Maybe it does start for you 11pm CST and 1am EST.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

It unlocked right at midnight....

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I had a pitcher take a grounder off his ankle which led to a mound discussion and him waiving away the trainer. Just good stuff. That said, I’ve yet to have any of players get injured, but I’m sure it’s coming.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

greggsand wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 am
I had a pitcher take a grounder off his ankle which led to a mound discussion and him waiving away the trainer. Just good stuff. That said, I’ve yet to have any of players get injured, but I’m sure it’s coming.
I had a replay review and it gave me 20 seconds to decide to challenge or not.

This game might be getting a little stale in presentation but still the best sports video game on the market. It just captures all the little things in baseball. Really enjoyed my brief two games I played before turning in for the night. Can't wait until I have some more time.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

greggsand wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 am
Had an injury a few days with Tommy Edman diving for a ball well out of reach. Good news was that it was minor so I kept him active, and he was ready to go in 5 games.

The contact slider really seems to have an effect once you elevate to "all-star" hitting and above. Players like O'Neil (whom I sent down), DeJong, Bader, etc who have trouble making contact in real life definitely have their problems making contact in this game. I've learned the hard way with hit and run with them at the plate. What a difference it is hitting with Arenado however!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thank you Diablo and everyone else for the tips!

My copy is on the FedEx truck. Can't wait to play tonight.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971