Monster Truck Championship

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Monster Truck Championship

Post by Teal »

Ok, so I'm a sucker for monster trucks and monster truck games. To my detriment sometimes, as I've bought all of the awful Monster Jam games over the years, but have also been surprised at the pretty good quality of the last MJ game.

So when I saw Monster Truck Championship in the store, I pre-ordered it ..lol. It bills itself as a more realistic take on the "sport", but without the licenses and trucks of MJ.

And it's not bad.

It IS more realistic in terms of handling and physics, and really takes a little getting used to. But I really like that you have to feather the throttle here, and counter steer there, and worry about losing your balance and ending your night early because you're resting on your hood.

There are all out races, with multiple trucks, the one on one sprints, freestyle, and destruction. The frame rate takes a hit sometimes with the races and all the trucks onscreen, but the FR seems fine in all other events. You can manage a team, hire and fire members, take on sponsorships, and unlock new parts and liveries and even body styles, customizing them with paint, stickers, and the like.

The base game is 39.99, which isn't a bad price for this game. It does have quirks, like the sometimes janky frame rate, and the inexplicable silence of the crowd. Like complete silence. The announcer is great, but the lack of crowd noise is bizzare.

I know these games aren't everyone's cup, but if you're into em, this one is pretty nice.

EDIT: It appears that the frame rate issue is really only on one arena, in Florida. There's a ton of background filler, city skyline and what not, so that may have something to do with it.
Last edited by Teal on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Monster Truck Championship

Post by Rodster »

I remember playing Microsoft’s Monster Truck Madness on the PC back in the 90’s. That was a fun game. I wish Microsoft would do a sequel or even a remaster of that game.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Teal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 pm
And it's not bad.
Sounds like one hell of an endorsement.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the heads up. I too am a sucker for Monster Truck and Drag Racing games, most of which have not been the greatest, and I think I have tried them all. I will keep an eye on this one.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

F308GTB wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:45 pm
Teal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 pm
And it's not bad.
Sounds like one hell of an endorsement.
Okay, I really like it, is that better? Lol, geez.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So I have more time with it, and I think I can heartily recommend it to anyone that has ever gotten even an inkling of fun out of a Monster Jam game.

You're in for a treat.

This is far more realistic in terms of handling, and of "the life" within the sport. It took some getting used to because it requires some skill to pull off a wheelie, or a stoppie, and planning to chain tricks together to get a big run.

The choices of trucks and liveries isn't licensed, but it's plenty varied, with lots of color schemes, stickers, body styles, add ons, parts, etc to choose from.

The only real frame rate issue is on one map, in Florida, and I'd expect that to be ironed out in updates. Mud collects on the tires and the body as you race, parts come flying off as your truck is beaten up, the announcer feels like a monster truck announcer...it's just a great game, especially for the price tag.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

In the last Monster Jam, the races were the hardest part, and scoring outrageous points in freestyle was simple.

This game almost flips the script.

Races definitely aren't easy, but man, the freestyle and destruction modes on this game really force you to rethink, especially if you're familiar with MJ. Wheelies were counted even when your truck was resting on its tailgate. Not so here. You have to feather the throttle, and you can get the truck hopelessly stuck on its tail, ruining a combo.

You really have to plan out a strategy, and know how to do more than wreck stuff and jam on the gas. You have to chain tricks and destruction together. And going full speed into a back flip ramp will do nothing good. You have temper your speed for everything-jumps, wheelies, everything. You can render the truck inoperable if you just go at it, and the announcer will even comment on flames coming out of the engine, or the engine sounds, if you push it too hard.

It's really a fun, but very challenging, game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Glad you're digging this, dude.

I think everyone has at least one title in their library that causes nearly everyone else to go, "WTF?" yet you could give three f*cks because you're having so much fun with it. That's how EA's Rugby 06 and 08 were for me on the Xbox 360 and how Assetto Corsa Competizione is for me right now.

Keep having fun!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425