R.I.P. Bob Gibson

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

R.I.P. Bob Gibson

Post by sportdan30 »

“Half the plate is mine. Your job as a hitter is to figure out which half.”

First Lou Brock. Now, Gibson. 2020 has been a year to forget.

😢

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: R.I.P. Bob Gibson

Post by sportdan30 »

Bob Gibson's 1968 season:

• 34 GS
• 304.2 IP
• 1.12 ERA
• 28 CG
• 13 SHO
• 0.853 WHIP
• 258 ERA+
• All-Star
• Cy Young
• MVP
• Gold Glove

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gibby was one of my favorite pitchers growing up as a kid along with Tom Seaver. Bob Gibson was one badass pitcher on the mound. He had NO problems letting the batter know he was on the mound.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Hank Aaron on Bob Gibson
“(Hank Aaron told me) ‘Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.’ I’m like, ‘Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?’ That was the night it ended.”
—Dusty Baker

RIP Bob Gibson
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Wow, Lou Brock now Bob Gibson.

Tough month for Cardinal Nation. Both class acts.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Was talking to my mom about that. My dad has an autographed Gibson jersey in his office. The closest the Cardinals ever had at matching Gibby's intense competitive drive was Chris Carpenter. Carp never matched Gibby's production, but that was a guy who approached winning as so primary, that he wanted opponents to always feel some level of fear or nervousness, or even anger.

I do wonder if Carpenter had pitched in the 60's if he might have had more success, with a much more lax attitude with pitching aggressively inside, making guys constantly wonder if they are going to get hit, and some guys wondering if they got hit for a reason or an accident, when its both.

Gibson just wanted you to think of him like the Terminator. It's not personal, but he is going to steamroll you in the most efficient manner possible. And he won't stop coming.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

JOZ wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 am
Wow, Lou Brock now Bob Gibson.

Tough month for Cardinal Nation. Both class acts.
I love Bob Gibson to death, and was one of the first biographies I ever read. I have asthma, so it was gift from someone that knew he had it, and he became a pretty amazing athlete.

But I'm not comfortable lumping him and Brock together as class acts. There was always a non-zero chance that some day, Bob Gibson might punch you.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Sanchez claimed Gibson followed him for more than 10 miles as he left Omaha and traveled west on Interstate 80.

When Sanchez stopped for gas, he said Gibson confronted him.

“I turned my back to reach for the nozzle ... that is when he hit me here and hit me here,” Sanchez said, pointing to both eyes.

Gibson told authorities he followed Sanchez because he wanted the Omaha man to pay for his eyeglasses, which he said were broken when Sanchez cut him off in traffic. According to police records, Gibson also claimed the 45-year-old Sanchez swung first.

Gibson, 66, was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981.
That was such a Bob Gibson story.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Hmm, I had always heard what a nice guy he was off the field despite how intimidating he was on the mound.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

RIP Gibby.. :(

Such a class act and a great person and Cardinal.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971