PGA TOUR 2K21 (PC Specific Discussion)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PGA TOUR 2K21 (PC Specific Discussion)

Post by J_Cauthen »

By popular demand, I'm creating this thread for those who play and are interested in the PC version of PGA TOUR 2K21. This would be a great place to focus the Digital Sportspage PC Society discussion, in addition to discussing the flexibility and benefits of playing this fine game on the master platform :wink: ... well, until the Series X is released in November! :)

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 (PC Specific Discussion)

Post by Greensboronclion »

Well my caddie and I just got off the course in our latest DS event and we both need a drink. The fairways on that course were as skinny as I ever seen but we survived. Glad to see you setup a place for PC players as I sometimes think we are the poor sister of the consoles with this game but I see something with this game that I didn't see in previous three versions on PC and that's players. Way more players this time around on PC than we had before and by a huge margin and that is significant as with the Xbox and PS4 sales this game has to be selling well. I personally will pick the console version up at some point but right now I am really enjoying the game a lot and I believe it looks and plays better on PC.

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

Playing in my 2nd DSP PC 2K21 event I have a complaint :x : ......

it is being held at Silverado Resort North

the fairways are sooooo narrow it should be renamed Sliverado Resort North :mrgreen:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

broomer wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 pm

the fairways are sooooo narrow it should be renamed Sliverado Resort North :mrgreen:
I just finished playing the first round of the DSP XBox One Society tournament at the same course and I second your motion for the name change! It's a good thing we were playing Pro-Am swing difficulty, as I'd have done well to hit 3 fairways in Pro. I better wait until I've got a bottle of belly wash before I take this on in the PC Society under "Pro" :lol:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm
Well my caddie and I just got off the course in our latest DS event and we both need a drink. The fairways on that course were as skinny as I ever seen but we survived. Glad to see you setup a place for PC players as I sometimes think we are the poor sister of the consoles with this game but I see something with this game that I didn't see in previous three versions on PC and that's players. Way more players this time around on PC than we had before and by a huge margin and that is significant as with the Xbox and PS4 sales this game has to be selling well. I personally will pick the console version up at some point but right now I am really enjoying the game a lot and I believe it looks and plays better on PC.
Rob, the PC version of this game is a tinkerers dream. I'm one of those who get off just experimenting with settings to see what yields what.

Let me ask you guys this question; are you playing the game with the vsync set to 30 Hz, 60 Hz, or OFF? I can play it with it set to 60 Hz by cutting my res back to 1440p, and cutting back from ultra to high on the fog and could quality, to obtain a solid 60 FPS, but for some reason I get more consistent tempo with the vsync unlocked, where I'll see 48 to 60 FPS :? Anyone else experiencing something like that?

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:36 pm
broomer wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 pm

I just finished playing the first round of the DSP XBox One Society tournament at the same course and I second your motion for the name change! It's a good thing we were playing Pro-Am swing difficulty, as I'd have done well to hit 3 fairways in Pro. I better wait until I've got a bottle of belly wash before I take this on in the PC Society under "Pro" :lol:

PC was set to Pro and I might of hit tree fairways if I was lucky. :lol: I will check my vsync when I turn my PC back on but I am pretty sure I have it turned on.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Dan's away for the weekend and asked me to set a couple of Society events up. The September 13th Daily, which will actually start tonight at 8:00 PM EDT, since HB Studios went with a new midnight, GMT universal start time for Society events, is a test to gauge the reaction to Pro-Am swing difficulty, once again with the distance control swing meters replaced with "Percentage Only". I've also set the Pin Setting to "Open". This will allow you to have the pins in or out by default when you're on the green, in accordance with your base difficulty settings.

I've selected a new course called Salt Creek Club (Tour) by Matt Rose, whom I consider to be one of the best course designers in both TGC, Perfect Golf, and now PGA TOUR 2K21. It is one of the most natural looking and interesting courses I've played thus far in 2K21. I will caution you that either the 3rd or the 4th hole has a green that's got a good bit of yellow slope to it, but I nabbed a par there on the XBox One X version, with a 2-putt that wasn't as intimidating as it looked.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Any course Matt Rose makes doesn't need to be tested as he is on of the Premier Designer's out there and love his courses. A gameplay note that we need to check is in settings that allows a player to turn off timing and if that happens the player will hit every shot straight and can be construed as a true cheat so from my take we need to make sure that can't be turned off in setting and tournament settings locked. It's happening in other societies and guys that shoot 55 at Master level makes it obvious. The Developer should never have put that in the game.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

After playing Winged Foot I decided it was in terrible shape so this weekends US Open is being played at an alternate location which I think is more apprealing.

Next weekends Tour event is a course not in PGA 2k21 so that will also be at an alternate location.

I'm in a real life golf tournament Weds. - Sunday, my last of the season unless I do well so won't be checking the PC much.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Anyone have any suggestions for difficulty or settings they'd like to try? In the current tournament I have the swing difficulty set to Pro-Am, with the swing meter selections set to "Open". It seems like some like them off and others like them on. Even though they are considered an aid, if find them a distraction and actually play and score better with them OFF (although if you saw my quad & triple, back to back bogies in last night's round you wouldn't think so). Pro-Am is the best swing difficulty fit for me, but we've got some players in this Society who are going to shoot in the low 60's almost every time out with that. Come to think of it... I did have the Swing Difficulty set to Pro yesterday... I don't feel as bad about my 82 now as I did before remembering that! :)

I did find something that might be a better answer to the swing meter(s) on/off in the Difficulty Settings discussion. If you go into the Display/HUD settings menu under your "MyPLAYER" menu, you can opt to turn both meters there and they will override the Society difficulty setting.

To some it might sound like a "cheat" since you're doing something that side-steps a Difficulty Setting, but on paper, you're actually making the game play more difficult by turning the meters only, and relying on the golfer animation and haptic feedback to gauge your backswing length.

I'm back to playing in the official 2K21 and Reddit Societies, where the swing meters are locked to "ON" after discovering this and it does work.

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

just finished the gorgeous Whiskey Dunes --- but after my play I am heading for Vodka Back Porch :mrgreen:

prefer playing Pro --- any additional aid settings you guys choose to set are fine w/ me, JC, except for that distracting power bar thingee :evil:

need to contact HB_Craig to see if he can get me a special Putter Yip-Control patch ASAP :D

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:11 pm
Anyone have any suggestions for difficulty or settings they'd like to try? In the current tournament I have the swing difficulty set to Pro-Am, with the swing meter selections set to "Open". It seems like some like them off and others like them on. Even though they are considered an aid, if find them a distraction and actually play and score better with them OFF (although if you saw my quad & triple, back to back bogies in last night's round you wouldn't think so). Pro-Am is the best swing difficulty fit for me, but we've got some players in this Society who are going to shoot in the low 60's almost every time out with that. Come to think of it... I did have the Swing Difficulty set to Pro yesterday... I don't feel as bad about my 82 now as I did before remembering that! :)

I did find something that might be a better answer to the swing meter(s) on/off in the Difficulty Settings discussion. If you go into the Display/HUD settings menu under your "MyPLAYER" menu, you can opt to turn both meters there and they will override the Society difficulty setting.

To some it might sound like a "cheat" since you're doing something that side-steps a Difficulty Setting, but on paper, you're actually making the game play more difficult by turning the meters only, and relying on the golfer animation and haptic feedback to gauge your backswing length.

I'm back to playing in the official 2K21 and Reddit Societies, where the swing meters are locked to "ON" after discovering this and it does work.
I prefer the pro-am setting with no meters on. No meters for me is very challenging but at least the pro-am gives me a higher chance of being on the fairway.

On pro setting the meters for me are a must otherwise I am shooting +18 or more per round which is not very fun.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Danimal wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 pm
After playing Winged Foot I decided it was in terrible shape so this weekends US Open is being played at an alternate location which I think is more apprealing.

Next weekends Tour event is a course not in PGA 2k21 so that will also be at an alternate location.

I'm in a real life golf tournament Weds. - Sunday, my last of the season unless I do well so won't be checking the PC much.

How bout Merion? It's a very tough test and five star course in the game plus like Wing Foot it's an historic old course.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Pro with the option to turn meters on or off just like today's event. I played it with Meters on and shot 2 over and it was quite enjoyable.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

broomer wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:59 pm
just finished the gorgeous Whiskey Dunes --- but after my play I am heading for Vodka Back Porch :mrgreen:

prefer playing Pro --- any additional aid settings you guys choose to set are fine w/ me, JC, except for that distracting power bar thingee :evil:

need to contact HB_Craig to see if he can get me a special Putter Yip-Control patch ASAP :D
Dang it... I didn't get back from doing my choirs in time to play the Whisky Dunes tournament! These new 8:00 PM EDT tournament deadlines are still giving me a fit. I've just got to make sure I get my round for the 16th's tournament in tonight, or it'll probably catch me off guard again tomorrow.

Were you able to turn the power bar (swing distance control meter) off in this tournament? I thought I left that option "Open"?

I feel you on the yips. I tried a stock controller today (been using the Elite 2) in another Society tournament and it was giving me a fit with the yips. I pulled 4, sub three foot putts left of the hole in that round. Two of them were less than 2 feet!? It felt like more of a tempo thing than the alignment of the putt... strange :?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The profanity filter with the game's Society message board is beyond ridiculous. Dan asked a question about when do the Society tournaments start now in it. I tried to answer 8:00 PM EDT, but it wouldn't pass the profanity filter. I then responded- "It starts at 8 o-clock this evening" That wouldn't pass. I tried to answer 8 o-clock Eastern Daylight Time, and that didn't get past the profanity filter. It finally accepted 2000 hours... unbelievable :?

I much preferred the 4:00 AM start/end times we had with TGC/TGC 2, and TGC 2019.

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Were you able to turn the power bar (swing distance control meter) off in this tournament? I thought I left that option "Open"?
I played w/o the power bar in place as you intended w/ that setting as "Open"

my comment was for my preference for play for your consideration as you are setting up future society events

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

broomer wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm
I played w/o the power bar in place as you intended w/ that setting as "Open"

my comment was for my preference for play for your consideration as you are setting up future society events
Okay, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hassle to get that option in play. Did it automatically default to no power bars since that what you set in your base settings? It seems to be doing that for me.

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 pm

Okay, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hassle to get that option in play. Did it automatically default to no power bars since that what you set in your base settings? It seems to be doing that for me.
Yes, it did .....I almost didn't play Whiskey Dunes since in an earlier post it was mentioned event was set @ Pro-Am difficulty (which I don't prefer)

but Greensboronclion then posted he was able to play Pro so I am happy I didn't listen to the tournement organizer :mrgreen:

so I goes and plays Pro myself then shot like I was playing on Legend :lol: :lol:

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

brommer every day I play it seems like I am on Legend level. :lol: :lol:

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 am
brommer every day I play it seems like I am on Legend level. :lol: :lol:
I know what you mean all too well, Greens .....((smh)) :oops: :oops: :D

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Today, 08:19 PM

Today I found something out about this game and felt it's worth sharing. First off I played two rounds today and Sam problem with putting where no matter what I do when I draw back the putter the line is always right at the bottom and right or straight at the top and my ball never rolls true and I never can play for enough break. Now I use a stock Xbox One and decided it was time to break out some other controllers and do some testing on the practice green. I tried a 3rd party Xbox One and Xbox 360 and no matter what I did my info showed a straight line and no deviation left or right constantly and that is what I expected as that's why they are 3rd party. So next I breakout stock Xbox 360 expecting lots of left or right and go surprise it also was so a straight line constantly and now I am confused. So I gather all the controllers up and even my extra Xbox One stock controller to have two stock in front of me. I noticed with the stock XB one there was more play left and right in both so I realized at that point because the others were not like that that could be the issue. So back to the practice green with the stock Xbox one and I found out if you gently press the stick to the left and not hard gently and then draw the putter back you then start getting consistent straighter lines on the backswing and start making more putts. Now I am beginning to understand why the only controllers that are passing the TGCC test are the Stock Xbox One and PS4 controller but why. Well first off the game was designed for console and it makes sense they would build around those controllers and for PC the Xbox One is now the preferred and only real new stock controller that's not 3rd party. But why the Xbox 360 was failing is now obvious as it's old and was never optimized for this game and that's plane as day. It's my opinion that these should be the only two to be allowed

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 pm
Today, 08:19 PM

Today I found something out about this game and felt it's worth sharing. First off I played two rounds today and Sam problem with putting where no matter what I do when I draw back the putter the line is always right at the bottom and right or straight at the top and my ball never rolls true and I never can play for enough break. Now I use a stock Xbox One and decided it was time to break out some other controllers and do some testing on the practice green. I tried a 3rd party Xbox One and Xbox 360 and no matter what I did my info showed a straight line and no deviation left or right constantly and that is what I expected as that's why they are 3rd party. So next I breakout stock Xbox 360 expecting lots of left or right and go surprise it also was so a straight line constantly and now I am confused. So I gather all the controllers up and even my extra Xbox One stock controller to have two stock in front of me. I noticed with the stock XB one there was more play left and right in both so I realized at that point because the others were not like that that could be the issue. So back to the practice green with the stock Xbox one and I found out if you gently press the stick to the left and not hard gently and then draw the putter back you then start getting consistent straighter lines on the backswing and start making more putts. Now I am beginning to understand why the only controllers that are passing the TGCC test are the Stock Xbox One and PS4 controller but why. Well first off the game was designed for console and it makes sense they would build around those controllers and for PC the Xbox One is now the preferred and only real new stock controller that's not 3rd party. But why the Xbox 360 was failing is now obvious as it's old and was never optimized for this game and that's plane as day. It's my opinion that these should be the only two to be allowed
I have yet to try a 360 controller with this game on my PC. You've got me curious now to test it. I'm also going to have to try your tip with putting. I tend to push putts when I'm concentrating on producing an even, deliberate tempo, but when I get revert to my TGC 2019 putting stroke, a more jab type stroke, I pull it badly. I'll report back with my results, thanks for sharing that tip!

DoGgs
Mario Mendoza

Post by DoGgs »

I tend to push putts when the power bar is off, its just a lack of confidence thing, when its on i am more forceful with my follow thru when putting.
Yes JC try your 360, i use one but don't see it as being easy at all. I spoke to Doyley about the 360 because i had heard some were not passing the APi, he said only a few have failed and most are totally fine.

broomer
Mario Mendoza

Post by broomer »

DoGgs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Yes JC try your 360, i use one but don't see it as being easy at all. I spoke to Doyley about the 360 because i had heard some were not passing the APi, he said only a few have failed and most are totally fine.
glad to hear this DoGgs..... was hoping my 6 yr old 360 would be OK on 2K21 for the Tours API as I have played most of the Test Society events w/o any negative feedback --- except for high ++ numbers scoring :mrgreen:

I am anxious to start the TGCT Tour Qualifying Events as it remains to be seen how well I am to fare playing on Master

best I have been able to hit so far on Master was a -3 on the Sonoma Sands Tour Test event

but I am very proud of a -1 Master round on your Squall's End :D

broomer