Madden 21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Madden 21

Post by Sudz »

Kinda shocked that i couldn't find a thread for Madden 21. The preview version is up and I've been messing around with it. Feels pretty similar to 20, even more than 20 versus 19.

Anybody playing?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 21

Post by Danimal »

I've played some exhibition games, on the surface it looks the same but once you play I can feel some good differences.

The new OL / DL moves and they way they have built the system is nice. Pocket finally feels real.

Everything seems to be more polished and fine tuned, running game is better. DB / WR interaction is better.

They finally have penalties working realistically.

It feels more like football than any version I have ever played.

I haven't messed with any of the MUT or new stuff they have but from the 5 or 6 exhibition games I played I liked it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I totally overlooked this and I'm an EA Access subscriber. With the real season facing the uncertainty it's currently underand no pre season games underway, my football hormones are completely dormant. I remembered it late this afternoon, but figured, what the heck I might be able to get a couple of games in, but I'd be playing them in a stupor, so I passed. I was sorely disappointed in Madden 20 and all I've read so far says this one plays a lot like 20. I'll wait until this one's in the Vault, most likely.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

First time since the days of the Sega Genesis that I"m not buying Madden, or even remotely interested in it.

Franchise mode has been untouched. Online H2H stat tracking continues to be broken, dating back a few years now. If you're not into MUT, Madden doesn't offer anything of value in terms of a simulation football as far as I'm concerned.

The Yard and these other micro-transaction generating modes do nothing for me.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'll get my 10 hours worth and be done...per usual w/ Madden. I don't think I've even used the full 10 hours in either 19 or 20. Hmmm.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I haven't bought Madden in 2 yrs. No chance that streak will end.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Kind of crazy that it has such a bad reputation because on the field Madden simulates a great game of football. Maybe because I just play the weekly featured match ups and one off games now I'm not as jaded but game play is really good.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not surprisingly, I feel quite differently about this year's version. I didn't read any impressions anywhere or watch any gameplay before it released.

The biggest changes this year completely change the game for me (DL pass rush moves and penalties). I am actually having a blast playing defense, just being a DL and changing who I play as. If you don't spend a lot of time doing it, you don't realize how deep it is.

Every offensive lineman remembers where you tried to beat them. You control all moves with the R stick, so you have swim/clubs to the left/right, a rip if you hold up, and a bull rush if you hold down. You can speed rush with RT, but as you do these moves, every lineman remembers what you've done, and a little orange meter fills beneath them (which you can see pre-snap). It goes from 1 to 3 orange bars, and if it gets full to 3, it means they are heavily weighted to that side (and the bar changes per snap). You can even use the R stick to spin to the direction you want. So you can set them up outside when they're leveraged that way, then spin the R stick back to the right and spin inside for a quick inside-beater move.

This has introduced a cerebral side to playing defense that I've never experienced in Madden--that memory is per-defensive-lineman, per-offensive-lineman. So I moved Maxx Crosby all over the line in formation subs and play him almost exclusively. I worried it would be overpowered, and it's possible that it may be...but I've had weeks where I'm completely shut out (Brees, Brady) and weeks where I feasted on a poor OL and QB (5 sacks one week against a hopelessly outmatched LT). The fun change they introduced was making penalties much more believable. When you completely blow by an OL and have a clean shot at the QB, but he releases it--if you don't pull off and avoid hitting him, you're getting a roughing the passer call. It takes legitimate discipline to go from full-rush to "aw damn, peel off" in the heat of the moment when you're one step away from another sack.

I don't think I finished a full season of Madden in the past 3 versions, but I'm already to week 15 in my current CFM in Madden 21, in only 5 days. Without being able to bait the CPU into poor throws with the LB or DB, playing only DL, it's made playing defense an absolute blast. I think the running game might be too strong, but it's likely to feel that way with a Superstar RB in Josh Jacobs and 3 lineman in the 90s with the Raiders line.

In any case, I can't stop playing the game, and I don't think it feels even remotely similar to the prior years...especially on defense. On offense, having a weapon with 98 speed like Henry Ruggs means I can throw the slant/drag and completely run away from everybody, and if they go full coverage, Jacobs just abuses them underneath.

Hopelessly addicted to this version, but we'll see if patches change the incredible OL/DL play.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Is KO mode back? I ended up playing that 100x more than actual games.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm
In any case, I can't stop playing the game, and I don't think it feels even remotely similar to the prior years...especially on defense. On offense, having a weapon with 98 speed like Henry Ruggs means I can throw the slant/drag and completely run away from everybody, and if they go full coverage, Jacobs just abuses them underneath.
Actually...I kind of agree here. As mentioned, I haven't been into Madden at all recently, and today was probably the first day I actually went and completed a game. It was actually a lot more engaging and controllable that previous versions. Not quite as many animation locked moves and things like that. Not sure what it is really, since I haven't played much over the last few years but this game was actually really fun. So, I agree, it def doesn't seem like past recent Maddens which is a good thing for me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:03 am
I'll get my 10 hours worth and be done...per usual w/ Madden. I don't think I've even used the full 10 hours in either 19 or 20. Hmmm.
Same. I maybe get my 10 hours of demo play and then just wait for it to hit EA Access (now EA Play) after the Super Bowl.

FIFA is about the only team sports game left that I buy and play, although I am looking forward to The Show coming to the Xbox at some point. Not a baseball guy, but I like baseball games.

Madden just feels samey almost every year. I'm sure the hardcore players notice the annual upgrades and differences, but the changes feel incremental, at best, to a casual, pick-up-and-play football gamer like me.

I much prefer the NFL over college football in real life. But man, I miss EA's NCAA Football franchise as an alternative to Madden more than ever.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:13 am
Madden just feels samey almost every year. I'm sure the hardcore players notice the annual upgrades and differences, but the changes feel incremental, at best, to a casual, pick-up-and-play football gamer like me.

I much prefer the NFL over college football in real life. But man, I miss EA's NCAA Football franchise as an alternative to Madden more than ever.
People are free to like whatever they want or not but the above argument always make me laugh. Madden is the same level of "samey" as The Show, NBA 2k or FIFA the only difference is it has the stigma it well deserved when it ran 2K football out of business. On the field NCAA or 2k5 couldn't hold a candle to Madden and it has been that way for some time. There are many things to not like about Madden, lack of franchise changes, lack luster half time show and all the BS modes they put in but the actually play between the hash marks is not one of them or at least until the patch everything good out because the tourney guys don't like it.

So it all depends on what you want. If you're looking for good on the filed action then it's great, if you want a deep, immersive franchise then yeah it;s the same old same old.
Follow Me on:

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I have been a Madden apologist in the past. I've never favored 2K over Madden and have always felt that 2K5 was highly overrated, as many call it the best football game of all time.

However, I can't get onboard with Madden anymore. I'm primarily an online H2H player and when I see stuff that happens in the following video at approx minute 3:42 I know enough. Player control and football knowledge have no real influence on the outcome. Can't get down with that, sorry.. and surely won't spend 60 dollars on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedllXHDCRE
Last edited by Wilk5280 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT = Wilk5280

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm
pk500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:13 am

People are free to like whatever they want or not but the above argument always make me laugh. Madden is the same level of "samey" as The Show, NBA 2k or FIFA the only difference is it has the stigma it well deserved when it ran 2K football out of business. On the field NCAA or 2k5 couldn't hold a candle to Madden and it has been that way for some time. There are many things to not like about Madden, lack of franchise changes, lack luster half time show and all the BS modes they put in but the actually play between the hash marks is not one of them or at least until the patch everything good out because the tourney guys don't like it.

So it all depends on what you want. If you're looking for good on the filed action then it's great, if you want a deep, immersive franchise then yeah it;s the same old same old.
Dan, I respect your opinion but we ALL know why 2K Football was run out of business. It was the contract and the money EA threw at the NFL and Madden became the defacto only game in town. Your point about the other Sports games is totally VALID. To me The Show, NBA 2K and FIFA all have that samey feeling, although nothing stops a developer from making another MLB game. I have skipped FIFA going on two years but picked it up this year because it was on sale. At least with FIFA and the NBA games, there is competition and you don't have that with the NFL. EA Sports got it's ass kicked with NBA Live where us NBA fans doubt they will ever make another NBA game. FIFA has competition with Konami but not so with Madden unless someone makes a non simulation game.

But I find it ironic that you out of all people with your wealth of NFL knowledge thinks so highly of Madden when someone won the latest Madden Bowl or whatever it was called by using a Punter as QB and not throwing a single pass the entire time of the Tournament. :)

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

and yes, Danimal. I agree with you 100% about other sports videogames. I don't buy NBA 2K anymore, either. Call me old.... GET OFF MY LAWN, but really all I want is a legitimate online H2H game with a decent-to-pretty-good franchise or season component.

I get the attraction to MUT with Fantasy Sports being so prevalent. However, and while I know I'm in a large minority, I just want to replicate Sundays and don't have much interest in Ultimate Team modes. Even if they didn't cost a dime to be competitive.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Let me ask you this question, Dan: Are you a regular FIFA player? Do you ever buy it?

Last year was the first year I didn't buy Madden in a LONG time, so I'm not a dabbler with the franchise. I have bought FIFA since the late 90s. And I can assure you that FIFA has made more significant overhauls, both over time and from year to year, than Madden has in the last five years.

That may be because FIFA was an arcadish joke 10 years ago, and Madden always has been simcade or a sim. But to suggest FIFA has been as incremental as Madden in tweaks and enhancements recently is daffy, either based on ignorance or a preference for the Madden franchise.

There's also one big difference that pushes the developers of FIFA: competition. Soccer is the only team sports gaming genre left with two true competitors, with EA's FIFA series and Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Dan, I respect your opinion but we ALL know why 2K Football was run out of business. It was the contract and the money EA threw at the NFL and Madden became the defacto only game in town.

That is what I just said, if my wording made it seem like something differently that was not the intent.
But I find it ironic that you out of all people with your wealth of NFL knowledge thinks so highly of Madden when someone won the latest Madden Bowl or whatever it was called by using a Punter as QB and not throwing a single pass the entire time of the Tournament. :)
I don't play online unless it is against someone like Terry who plays the game like football. My play is strictly off line as a solo player and I don't try to work the game and find exploits so none of this comes into play for me. I see it and agree it is crap but it's not something I have to worry about.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:17 pm
Let me ask you this question, Dan: Are you a regular FIFA player? Do you ever buy it?

Last year was the first year I didn't buy Madden in a LONG time, so I'm not a dabbler with the franchise. I have bought FIFA since the late 90s. And I can assure you that FIFA has made more significant overhauls, both over time and from year to year, than Madden has in the last five years.

That may be because FIFA was an arcadish joke 10 years ago, and Madden always has been simcade or a sim. But to suggest FIFA has been as incremental as Madden in tweaks and enhancements recently is daffy, either based on ignorance or a preference for the Madden franchise.

There's also one big difference that pushes the developers of FIFA: competition. Soccer is the only team sports gaming genre left with two true competitors, with EA's FIFA series and Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series.
I'm on EA Play Pro so yes I play it every year, it's changes on an incremental level like every sports game. If you think FIFA has made more significant changes than Madden in the last 5 years I would hardly disagree but I'll refrain from calling you names as you seem to want to do. The list of game play changes in Madden has been substantial. WR / DB interaction which improves every year, over hauled animations, Superstar traits which was significantly tweaked this year, the new OL / DL put in this year, more fluid RB animations, new player rating system to differentiate players just to name a few that should be readily apparent when playing.

My only preference for Madden is it is the only football game in town. I wish it wasn't, I wish it had a seriously better franchise mode but it doesn't, but for pick up and play games of football it does more than fine. If you mean my preference for football outweighs that for soccer then yes you're spot on. I can name a half dozen sports that I like better than soccer.

Like I said enjoy what you want but all these sports game progress at the same pace so calling one samey and praising another one is just disingenuous in my opinion especially when it appears you haven't even tried the newest version of Madden yet.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:49 pm
However, I can't get onboard with Madden anymore. I'm primarily an online H2H player and when I see stuff that happens in the following video at approx minute 3:42 I know enough. Player control and football knowledge have no real influence on the outcome. Can't get down with that, sorry.. and surely won't spend 60 dollars on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedllXHDCRE
My point of view comes from playing solo or only against people who I know will play the game correctly. If we're going to judge a game purely on how online players take advantage of exploits then I wonder what game is good enough to meet those standards?
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:58 pm
I'm on EA Play Pro so yes I play it every year, it's changes on an incremental level like every sports game. If you think FIFA has made more significant changes than Madden in the last 5 years I would hardly disagree but I'll refrain from calling you names as you seem to want to do. The list of game play changes in Madden has been substantial. WR / DB interaction which improves every year, over hauled animations, Superstar traits which was significantly tweaked this year, the new OL / DL put in this year, more fluid RB animations, new player rating system to differentiate players just to name a few that should be readily apparent when playing.

My only preference for Madden is it is the only football game in town. I wish it wasn't, I wish it had a seriously better franchise mode but it doesn't, but for pick up and play games of football it does more than fine. If you mean my preference for football outweighs that for soccer then yes you're spot on. I can name a half dozen sports that I like better than soccer.

Like I said enjoy what you want but all these sports game progress at the same pace so calling one samey and praising another one is just disingenuous in my opinion especially when it appears you haven't even tried the newest version of Madden yet.
Fair enough. Points taken.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
I'm the biggest FIFA fan there is, however the gameplay is still sh*t. It's the same game every single time...just each year they nerf something to change it up. Last year it was the super powered headers, this year it's the finesse shots from the top of the 18...it's just always something. There's literally no strategy in FIFA anymore...it's get the fastest guys you can with the 5 star skill moves and go sick. It's maddening (pun intended). But yet here we are, it's the game I play BY FAR the most. That doesn't mean it's a good sim soccer game. PES is still significantly ahead in strategy and how the game is more generic. FIFA wins because of licenses and Ultimate Team. If PES had em, everyone would be playing that.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:22 am
pk500 wrote:
I'm the biggest FIFA fan there is, however the gameplay is still sh*t. It's the same game every single time...just each year they nerf something to change it up. Last year it was the super powered headers, this year it's the finesse shots from the top of the 18...it's just always something. There's literally no strategy in FIFA anymore...it's get the fastest guys you can with the 5 star skill moves and go sick. It's maddening (pun intended). But yet here we are, it's the game I play BY FAR the most. That doesn't mean it's a good sim soccer game. PES is still significantly ahead in strategy and how the game is more generic. FIFA wins because of licenses and Ultimate Team. If PES had em, everyone would be playing that.
Absolutely, agree with DB here. Very quickly, don’t want to hijack the Madden thread which I will just use my 10 hours of worth this year while playing primarily MUT.

I’ve said it over and over before. PES is a better game overall. It got its faults but it represents the footie game more accurately.

With Fifa, I was primarily an online player but lately the servers have been so abysmal this year that I started playing mainly the weekly offline matches trying to get to the elite level and get my share of coins and packs. Heck, if anyone likes FIFA’s gameplay on the pitch as it is today, you really don’t understand the beautiful game. And who plays Volta?

In fact, I am not that crazy over Fifa 21 coming up because I know the game will be pretty much the same, maybe with more active headers because it was non existent in 20, improve the tackling (pleeeaasee) and whatever newer terminology EA has for every sports game every year.

Back to Madden, the improved skill stick is something that I am enjoying as it seems more fluid pulling different moves whether you’re a ball carrier or pass rusher.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Can anyone give a quick tutorial or maybe suggest one somewhere else about the new pass rushing moves or system? I haven’t played much of madden the past couple of years, and in my tiny bit of dabbling with the new one, I’m intrigued but a bit lost with the new pass rush mechanics. Terry’s post was instructive, but I don’t think I quite grasp it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Zeppo wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am
Can anyone give a quick tutorial or maybe suggest one somewhere else about the new pass rushing moves or system? I haven’t played much of madden the past couple of years, and in my tiny bit of dabbling with the new one, I’m intrigued but a bit lost with the new pass rush mechanics. Terry’s post was instructive, but I don’t think I quite grasp it.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/BklNSPUtbUA[/youtube]
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Last night I encountered a horrible bug that killed an exciting game. I was throwing into the end zone from my opponents 9 yard line and was picked off. The CB took a knee, next thing I know my opponent has 1st and goal from my 9 yard line.

On a positive note I do like how QB throws are effected a lot more by pressure, being hit or being on the move.
Follow Me on: