The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 23/24

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 23/24

Post by 10spro »

Congratulations to R. Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern and Juventus in a most unpredictable season unless you follow strictly the EPL.

Time for teams for re tinkle and no team loses 8-2 in a CL unless you are a Barca fan. Woot? Setién has been in a hot seat for quite awhile, his team was in cruise control during La Liga for much of the season until they were not. Some of the most experienced guys like G. Pique criticized the structure of the team and looked for changes including himself.

No need, as the coach was let go today and guys like R. Koeman, M. Pochettinoand Xavier are candidates to takeover. Personally, I’d like to see Messi trying on another league. Bartomeu just needs to go.

Let the rumors and transfers begin for the new season... L
Last edited by 10spro on Thu May 18, 2023 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game, Fútbol, Calcio, Footie Season 20/21.

Post by 10spro »

Yes, I think it’s about time. And I’ve said it before, Bartomeu is the problem.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53911105

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:21 am
Yes, I think it’s about time. And I’ve said it before, Bartomeu is the problem.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53911105
This has a 0.000000000001% chance of happening but what it would do for the MLS if Messi were to come Stateside. Beckham was a major factor in popularizing the MLS when he joined the Galaxy.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Messi is trying to force a free transfer to City and Barca probably won't go for that.

It would be amazing if City got him just a couple of months after escaping a CL ban for breaching FFP rules.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-tran ... se-sources

How willing are clubs to pay some record transfer fee to get a 33-year old Messi? City would want him since they got killed in the EPL and disappointed in the CL again.

But he doesn't defend and he's going to the "more physical" EPL?

Then maybe in 3 years, he would go to NY in the MLS?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

When you have his high skills set even at 33 years, he can still be the decision maker in any game at any time. Skills always beats physical strength in my opinion, no matter which league. Now if you want big news, a transfer to the EPL would wake up the masses no doubt. Especially with how underwhelming the season ended there and I am not referring to COVID.

I see him in the Italian league, maybe PSG to join Neymar but that club would go bankrupt if it ever happens. The scenario he’s in today should have never happened. But when you have a clueless GM that has slowly ruin his club for the past 3-4 years, that vision is not shared today by Messi.

The MLS would be the last place he wants to end up, and not before he returns to his hometown Rosario and play for Newell’s old boys his childhood team.

By then he’ll probably be 38 and would do exactly what Pele, Beckham, Ibrahimovic and the likes couldn’t do.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not sure how Man City is even in discussion with him given the complete overhaul needed on their back line. I imagine they would have to sell half their attacking players to make it happen.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Guardiola.

Also as that article noted, the owners of City also apparently have interest in the NY MLS team so it may be a twofer type of deal. Whether or not it would make sense on the pitch, City probably wants to make a big splash after Liverpool lapped them last season.

Yes he's still effective, if not elite. Plus a huge brand so he'd sell a ton of jerseys with his name on his new club kit.

I think the other part is, he had some bitter tax dispute in Spain. So maybe he wants to get out of Spain.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Was listening to ESPN FC podcast and they had on a guy who covers the Bundesliga to talk about Bayern vs. Borossia Dortmund which is loaded with young talent.

They were talking about Haaland comparing him to Lewandowski, having that kind of potential.

They said Dortmund have the best Norwegian player, the best American player.

That was surprising, 17 year old Reyna already better than Pulisic who’s been making some waves at Chelsea?

But sounds like these players have higher ceilings than Dempsey, Donovan.

Maybe the USMNT will qualify for WC.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I've watched a lot of Dortmund and I'm not sure if I'd say Reyna is better than Pulisic...but maybe in a few years. Dude definitely has potential. CP needs to stay on the field...his issue is going to be injuries. He's constantly hurt, both when he was at Dortmund and at Chelsea. His last injury was just in warmups...twisted his own ankle cutting left. Weird.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

There's little doubt Haaland will replace Lewandowski up front at Bayern once Big Bob hangs up his boots. Mark it down.

Haaland is a freak. So fast. So big. So strong. So skilled.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Both players have such a hungry nose for the net, such presence, different type of players but Haaland will make heads turn much quicker than Lewa IMO. Dortmund hasn’t since this type of explosiveness when Aubameyang was still there. He’s a joy to watch for German fans but I doubt his future will be there for long. Pretty sure Barca and Real are planning a change of address for the Norwegian.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Worst defeat for Germany since 6-0 to Austria in 1931 😳. Will this finally be what pushes Löw out the door?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I had to figure out WTF UEFA Nations League was and why they are going to have Euro and Nations League matches next year.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Zeppo wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:47 am
Worst defeat for Germany since 6-0 to Austria in 1931 😳. Will this finally be what pushes Löw out the door?
What is this his third WC cycle as manager of Germany? Yea, he should have voluntarily resigned back in 2018.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

wco81 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:06 pm
I had to figure out WTF UEFA Nations League was and why they are going to have Euro and Nations League matches next year.
Euro teams wanted to get rid of all the friendlies, so they created this. CONCACAF also has one but its been delayed due to the Covid.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I like the Nations League. Much better than friendlies, which are glorified exhibitions. If you're going to play a game during the season, make it meaningful.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

City are pressing to equalize after an early goal by the Spurs but big counter for 2-0 lead by Tottenham.

If you watched Amazon Prime All or Nothing series on Tottenham, they showed clips of the City at Tottenham match last season and you could really see the intensity, all the players were running full speed most of the time.

Maybe it's the pitch-level zoomed in cameras but it just conveyed how hard and fast the players were playing compared to watching a normal live broadcast of a match, where you notice more players just jogging around.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RIP Maradona. One of the greatest ever, deserving of a place on footy's Mount Rushmore or Parthenon.

Sure, the Hand of God goal was one of the greatest ruses in sports history. But the guy was simply electric with the ball at his feet, with skills matched by very few players ever.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, Argentina is in mourning. Greatest footballer that I witnessed tainted only by his drug issues once he moved to Napoli. Started in Argentinos Juniors, played for my beloved Boca Juniors until he made it big in Barca, Napoli, won the WC and wasncontroversial to the end. I mean when he says that the only thing missing in his large repertoire was to score vs England with the other hand of God, you know he was special.

Had a lot of issues with his recent brain surgery, just too bad.

He was indeed an electrifying magician in his best years, the ball just seemed always glued to his left foot.

Diego, RIP man.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Was it true or just a rumor that in one instance he was running on the right side of the GK and fired a shot with his back heel for a goal?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Was it true or just a rumor that in one instance he was running on the right side of the GK and fired a shot with his back heel for a goal?
All true. But his dribbling against half the English team in a WC stage back in 86 is still the greatest goal of all. Ever. Of course...I am a bit biased. 8)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:42 pm
RIP Maradona. One of the greatest ever, deserving of a place on footy's Mount Rushmore or Parthenon.

Sure, the Hand of God goal was one of the greatest ruses in sports history. But the guy was simply electric with the ball at his feet, with skills matched by very few players ever.
The two sides of the man captured inside four minutes. Whatever your thoughts on the Hand of God, the goal he scored four minutes later is as fine an example of individual skill as you could ever wish to see. Absolutely magnificent.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Rodster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:05 pm
All true. But his dribbling against half the English team in a WC stage back in 86 is still the greatest goal of all. Ever. Of course...I am a bit biased. 8)
Wow, so it was true? From what I remember reading about the goal, it was from some distance and it was a bullet towards the upper left of the goal. I tired looking for it on YT but came up empty.

Btw, I just saw the goal against England in '86 in my attempt to locate the backheel goal. That was crazy how he was a blur slicing his way thru the England defense for the goal. So who gets your vote for G.O.A.T. Maradona or Messi?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Close vote. I mean Maradona was dominant in his best years, no one came close to him. He won a WC, something that still missing in Messi’s resume. He’s 32 now I believe and on a slow decline with one last chance at the big trophy in Qatar. You can ask me that question then but as of today Diego is the best.

I remember watching a documentary on him when I was flying recently, you’ll see goals that will leave your mouth open, especially during his youth years. Can’t remember the documentary’s name but worth the watch.

He was a true ‘Virtuoso’ of the game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Some of his classics.