PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:42 pm
He ended up playing and said it was too tough for him...so he bounced! I tried to add a new guy! Sorry.
You should have showed him my +69 total to show him there was at least one guy he could beat! I played a round at East Lake after finishing our tournament, using Pro-Am swing difficulty. I shot a 74, but it just felt so much better with the swing. It was like I could feel a hook and a slice, not just see them. There's a wide gulf between Pro-Am and Pro in this game, but Pro-Am definitely is the best fit for my suddenly plummeting skills.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Zlax45 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:04 pm
Shot +17 on the front nine at East Lake so I am out of this mess! RAGE QUITTING!

I can't even come close to hitting a fairway and all I get is VERY SLOW slice
I shot a 90 in the final round; after being +1 after five holes :? It was all I could do to avoid a rage quit.

As for your very slow slice, try taking a shorter, slower backswing. That helped me avoid that, when I can remember it. You can get carried away and pull a duck hook with this process though. Wait a minute, who am I to give anyone advice on how to play this game? I'm the bottom feeder in the DSP Society right now! :oops: :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pigpen81 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:00 pm
I am + 35 after 3 rounds on the PC tourney.

I am easily losing at least 10 strokes per round because of the short game. It is so difficult to gauge the power on putts and chips without the meter.
I'd say that's the case with me as well. In today's second round, I left four putts of 2 feet or less SHORT of the hole!@$%% :evil: The problem is the backstroke seems to almost abruptly abort itself... like it's hit a wall and I can't take it back any further. I think the problem is that I'm still trying to take my TGC 2019 "jabby" putting stroke with it rather than a more deliberate and longer backstroke.
I am still having fun, but there are some frustrating moments, especially when I 4 putt from 11 feet out.
I feel you pain... I 3-putted from 2 feet in round 1 of this tournament! But the game has moments that keep me coming back for more punishment.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

After finishing my 4th round at Eastlake would have to definitely recommend keeping pro setting but allowing meter for putting. With practice I am improving on chipping but putting is a nightmare. No matter of practice can fix it. Ugh!

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

For folks having problems with putting and no meters, here is what I do that seems to work well.

1. Don't change the default distance that the system dials in for you, only adjust your aim left and right as needed.
2. When ready to putt, pull the stick back with as much finesse as possible, as slowly as possible.
3. As soon as you feel the haptic feedback, push the stick forward with a good pace and follow through. Don't slam it, but don't be too slow either. Above all else, follow through to the top of the swing.

#1 above is why I find putting to be pretty easy, at least for securing a 2-putt most of the time. The system automatically sets the correct swing strength by default.

#2 seems to be the biggest "gotcha" for people coming over from GC 2019.

Hope this helps someone, because I find putting to be one of the easier mechanics to come to grips with in the game.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

For whatever reason the short game is the least of my concerns, it just clicks for me. It's getting off the tee's and my approach that get me into trouble on Pro difficulty.
GT = Wilk5280

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

We just needed the punch shot for East Lake.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 pm
For folks having problems with putting and no meters, here is what I do that seems to work well.

1. Don't change the default distance that the system dials in for you, only adjust your aim left and right as needed.
2. When ready to putt, pull the stick back with as much finesse as possible, as slowly as possible.
3. As soon as you feel the haptic feedback, push the stick forward with a good pace and follow through. Don't slam it, but don't be too slow either. Above all else, follow through to the top of the swing.

#1 above is why I find putting to be pretty easy, at least for securing a 2-putt most of the time. The system automatically sets the correct swing strength by default.

Hope this helps someone, because I find putting to be one of the easier mechanics to come to grips with in the game.
Thanks. But I'm using the mouse swing on PC. It brings back very fond memories of playing PGA Championship 2000 ;)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Your suggestions are the foundation for what I'm doing. The only difference is I'll take what amounts to a practice swing with the putter. As I'm taking my deliberate backstroke, I make a mental mark of where the putterhead is in the stroke when the haptic feedback starts and use that as my backswing reference. I tend be a wee bit slow in reacting to the haptic feedback and over react when trying to use it, putting too much power in the forestroke.

I'm still struggling to get the TGC 2019 out of my putting stroke. I left two, 2 foot putts short again in today's final round in the DSP tournament (PC). That jabby flick isn't going to yield the putt strength it did in TGC 2019.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:45 pm
We just needed the punch shot for East Lake.
I needed about 48 of 'em! When I wasn't playing a manufactured, quasi-punch shot, I was playing a fairway or greenside bunker shot! I wish I'd kept track of how many holes I actually played both my second and third shots out of the bunker. There's not a bunker at East Lake that I wasn't in at some point during that tournament! :x

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pigpen81 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:09 pm
Thanks. But I'm using the mouse swing on PC. It brings back very fond memories of playing PGA Championship 2000 ;)

You are a brave soul son... I'm not worthy! ^:)^ I couldn't manage the mouse swing in the first three TGC games, I can't imagine what this one must be like with the tempo requirements as stringent as they are now. I have the PC version, so maybe I'll give this one a whirl. I know I gave up in a half hour on TGC 2019 with it.

The problem I have is I don't have a proper arrangement for using a mouse in a game that needs as much surface as 2K21 needs. I have to pull an end table over beside my gaming chair, and change my chair's height to make it reasonably ergonomic.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm
pigpen81 wrote:

You are a brave soul brother! I couldn't manage the mouse swing in the first three TGC games, I can't imagine what this one must be like with the tempo requirements as stringent as they are now. I have the PC version, so maybe I'll give this one a whirl. I know I gave up in a half hour on TGC 2019 with it.

The problem I have is I don't have a proper arrangement for using a mouse in a game that needs as much surface as 2K21 needs. I have to pull an end table over beside my gaming chair, and change my chair's height to make it reasonably ergonomic.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pigpen81 wrote:

You are a brave soul brother! :o I couldn't manage the mouse swing in the first three TGC games, I can't imagine what this one must be like with the tempo requirements as stringent as they are now. I have the PC version, so maybe I'll give this one a whirl. I know I gave up in a half hour on TGC 2019 with it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Today's tournament's game difficulty settings felt perfect for my current skill set with the new interface. There's such a huge gap between Pro and Pro-Am, IMO! It was also nice to not hAve the swing distance control meter out of the screen to distract me.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am
Today's tournament's game difficulty settings felt perfect for my current skill set with the new interface. There's such a huge gap between Pro and Pro-Am, IMO! It was also nice to not hAve the swing distance control meter out of the screen to distract me.
100% agree!

I still struggle from tee to green (my putting saves me) but at least not in every bunker and hazard (just some of them :wink: ).

-MERACE

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Some of you know Mebby from the PG forums. I invited him to our society. I told him to sign up here as a member of the forum first. His Xbox gamer tag is Turnerm05.

-MERACE

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MERACE wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm
J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am
100% agree!

I still struggle from tee to green (my putting saves me) but at least not in every bunker and hazard (just some of them :wink: ).

-MERACE
Yeah, they are solid settings. IMO, the meter should be “Putting Only”. When you putt in real life its easy to control of your backswing for distance. With the putting meter on that’s what it feels like.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I'm a big fan of Pro-Am with no meters, but if everyone wants them to be optional I think that's fair. They help some while hurting others. I don't think it's an advantage one way or the other. Not sure what the system allows for when setting up the tournaments, but if you can make them optional I think that's the way to go personally.
GT = Wilk5280

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Some of you know Mebby from the PG forums. I invited him to our society. I told him to sign up here as a member of the forum first. His Xbox gamer tag is Turnerm05.
Mebby would be a great addition to our Society... glad to have you on board Mebby!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:54 pm
Yeah, they are solid settings. IMO, the meter should be “Putting Only”. When you putt in real life its easy to control of your backswing for distance. With the putting meter on that’s what it feels like.
I can set the daily up for tomorrow (already did tonight's) for meter's to be user choice. They are considered to be an advantage to have them on, based on the XP multiplier being higher when they are turned off, but I find them both to be distractors for me. In tonight's daily (which starts at 8:00 PM EDT and ends tomorrow at 8:00 PM EDT), I have the distance control meters set to "Percentage Only". It allows you to set your backswing intent a little better for haptic feedback, but there's no flashing or motion in it which could serve as a distraction. I'd like to read your thoughts on this once you've tried it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:05 pm
I'm a big fan of Pro-Am with no meters, but if everyone wants them to be optional I think that's fair. They help some while hurting others. I don't think it's an advantage one way or the other. Not sure what the system allows for when setting up the tournaments, but if you can make them optional I think that's the way to go personally.
I agree... optional would probably be a good fit for us. We'll get to try that in tomorrow's daily and hopefully get some good feedback on it. There's a setting on the Distance Control Meter (which we call swing and putt swing meters) called "Open". It will use whatever choice you have selected for that option in your MyPLAYER base difficulty setting for the given parameter. I have mine set to "OFF" so that's what it will select for the round.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Well I have played a lot so far and getting better and here is what I have found so far. First I have not played any of our events yet but that is mainly due to being flat broke and not having enough to cover the 400 entry fee and I am broke as I have had to buy all new outfits for each round and many different clubs but I finally now have the clubs I want and just running them now. Now I really don't need the meter as I now know to just make sure I stay away from 100 % and that helps a lot at Pro level which is what I play in Society play. Played the official 2K21 Society event which is set to Pro and shot 78-71 and quite happy with that as you have to grind and one too bring back the club slower and never take the stick the whole way back like you do on the downswing. I seem to play better without the meter and my vote would be to not have it at all. I find the putting unlike most to be very well done and the start of the vibration being the start of the follow thru mush better than meter with the mark to hit which is way to easy. Pro should be the level we play and it's going to be tough but par for any event is and will be a very good score and I really like that. This game in general is way tougher than 2019 and especially the career mode and there I play Pro- Am and on Korn Ferry Tour playing three round events. I will go back to Pro once I get to PGA Tour but playing Pro-Am with most the aids turned off not as easy as you would think as the field puts up some nice numbers also. Anyway I got to gonearn some cash so I can afford to play the upcoming four round event we have so my caddie and I need to hit the links. :lol:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm
I saw your 66 you posted and thought you may have taken a liking to Pro-Am :) I got careless over two or three "gimmies" and should have come in with at least a 67, but it felt so much more like golf. What I'd played over the previous four days in Pro difficulty at East Lake felt like a flogging!

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:38 pm
Wilk5280 wrote:
I agree... optional would probably be a good fit for us. We'll get to try that in tomorrow's daily and hopefully get some good feedback on it. There's a setting on the Distance Control Meter (which we call swing and putt swing meters) called "Open". It will use whatever choice you have selected for that option in your MyPLAYER base difficulty setting for the given parameter. I have mine set to "OFF" so that's what it will select for the round.

I agree with your setup of percentage only as I have been playing that a lot and much better that way.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 pm
J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:38 pm
Wilk5280 wrote:

I agree with your setup of percentage only as I have been playing that a lot and much better that way.
Well, if we are all voting then I like Pro with putting only meter. It feels more natural to me like diablo said but also because I can play my rounds much faster. :)
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701