PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by JOZ »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am
Wouldn't you know it, I go bragging about how I haven't seen any issues stemming from the Series X's inability to produce 60 FPS at 60 Hz, and the Shelter Harbor course at which I set the current tournament is the first one to consistent evidence of some stuttering. Fortunately, it never occurred at any point during the swing, but quite a few times I was detecting a hint of framiness, especially on long putts, resulting from stuttering. It wasn't a show stopper by any means, but it was the first sign of any problem I've seen on any course since the update.

Did anyone else notice this while playing Shelter Harbor? I really don't have room to complain as I shot my best score since the patch, but I was just a little curious if it was the course or perhaps the server. I was playing at like 10 PM EST, when the server load still seems to be a little high from 8:00 PM until 11:00 PM in my experience.
I did as well. I actually went in to the settings to make sure the vsync didn't reset back to 30. It wasn't bad by any means, but I did notice it. It's very strange with this game. Even before the update, some courses would have these small performance issues even though they did not look like they would push the system at all. My guess is the Unity engine, but really no idea.

I had a good front nine, but all of the sudden was hitting everything with a fast tempo and couldn't shake it.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Personally, I found some inconsistency with my fast swings coupled in with some framing issues. Wasn’t much but enough to throw me off on some putts. Either that or the slowness of the greens just kept throwing me off. Good shooting John.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am
Personally, I found some inconsistency with my fast swings coupled in with some framing issues. Wasn’t much but enough to throw me off on some putts. Either that or the slowness of the greens just kept throwing me off. Good shooting John.
You are speaking of Shelter Harbor here, right James? I show a 27 on the back nine, which is the lowest I've ever recorded for 9. I had two approaches on that back nine that missed left and right. They each got a lucky kick toward the hole and wound up being a tap in eagle and birdie. I also holed at 42 flop shot for an eagle. I played like I was shooting 66, but I carded a 61... I'm sure you've probably had a round or two in your day like that. :)

For kicks, try out Broken Locket GC and tell me how that one plays for you. I saw shimmering and an occasional stutter there on my Series X at 60 Hz, but I never felt any hesitation in my backswing or downswing there.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I'll jump back in and play a few tourneys.

Also, what is the best augusta course to play?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, after my only second course experience after the 60HZ bump up, I am going to say that I don’t see the big improvement that some of you are seeing.

Just finished playing the British Masters 16. I am still experiencing some frame issues. Not sure if it’s because of the Series X or this particular course, but inexplicably my player motion would freeze in at least 3 holes as I was about to hit the ball.

After about 6-10 seconds the player motion would come back but it’s something I didn’t even experience prior to the patch. Overall, it does seem smoother not going to deny that, but the odd framing issues as I am about to hit an iron shot or while putting was there for me.

Will keep playing I guess to see if it’s persistent in my gameplay experiences.

Thanks for suggesting Broken Lockett John, I’ll give that a try.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Sudz wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:43 pm

My favorite one is still called Firethorn National TGC19. Royce has a newer one that's tagged "beta", but I haven't tried it yet, and right now I can't remember the name of it. If I stumble across it I'll let you know.

BTW Vader, I sent you a PM about a schedule problem we're having right now.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm
Sudz wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:43 pm

My favorite one is still called Firethorn National TGC19. Royce has a newer one that's tagged "beta", but I haven't tried it yet, and right now I can't remember the name of it. If I stumble across it I'll let you know.

BTW Vader, I sent you a PM about a schedule problem we're having right now.
JC, I play that one on my sim a lot. Great rendition.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

We had to make a change to the schedule yesterday in order to be able to get in Wednesday's daily tournament. Our season had reached its 55 event limit, so we deleted the Sawgrass tournament from the current season's schedule to make room for today's Daily, and will start Season 3 at Sawgrass.

As you know, Thursday actually starts at 8:00 PM (and it may actually be 7:00 PM since we're not in daylight savings time right now) EST in the PGA TOUR 2K21 world. I can't actually schedule the Sawgrass tournament until the current season ends this evening, as it would lock up the current tournament prematurely.

I've got an engagement this evening that's going to have me away from home from 5 to 8:30 PM. Vader, if you're available between 7 and 8 PM this evening, would you be so kind as to start the new season and schedule the Sawgrass event? If you can't do it, I'll have it up by 8:45 PM EST tonight. Good luck all... and it feels great to be back in the 2K21 DSP XBox One Society with a new lease on life now! :D

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:54 pm
Well, after my only second course experience after the 60HZ bump up, I am going to say that I don’t see the big improvement that some of you are seeing.

Just finished playing the British Masters 16. I am still experiencing some frame issues. Not sure if it’s because of the Series X or this particular course, but inexplicably my player motion would freeze in at least 3 holes as I was about to hit the ball.

After about 6-10 seconds the player motion would come back but it’s something I didn’t even experience prior to the patch. Overall, it does seem smoother not going to deny that, but the odd framing issues as I am about to hit an iron shot or while putting was there for me.

I'm finding there is some effect from server load James, although it affects the One X version considerably more than the Series X, at least in my experience. Have you tried it at non peak times? As for freezes, I've yet to have one freeze at any point on the Series X at 60 Hz, but I had one nine hole round on the One X where it happened three times, two of them prior to my starting the swing. One of those freezes lasted like 5 seconds.

Out of curiosity, if you don't have DoF, AA, and bloom OFF, try turning them off and see if that doesn't make some difference.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:41 pm
We had to make a change to the schedule yesterday in order to be able to get in Wednesday's daily tournament. Our season had reached its 55 event limit, so we deleted the Sawgrass tournament from the current season's schedule to make room for today's Daily, and will start Season 3 at Sawgrass.

As you know, Thursday actually starts at 8:00 PM (and it may actually be 7:00 PM since we're not in daylight savings time right now) EST in the PGA TOUR 2K21 world. I can't actually schedule the Sawgrass tournament until the current season ends this evening, as it would lock up the current tournament prematurely.

I've got an engagement this evening that's going to have me away from home from 5 to 8:30 PM. Vader, if you're available between 7 and 8 PM this evening, would you be so kind as to start the new season and schedule the Sawgrass event? If you can't do it, I'll have it up by 8:45 PM EST tonight. Good luck all... and it feels great to be back in the 2K21 DSP XBox One Society with a new lease on life now! :D
Yeah I'm home now for the rest of the day and will start the new season when the current tourney ends.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm
J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Yeah I'm home now for the rest of the day and will start the new season when the current tourney ends.
Thanks for handling that, especially after I had to delete the tournament you'd already created to make this happen. I got home an hour later than planned also. I think it'll be cool to start a new season off with the '5th major'.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote: [quote=10spro post_id=444514 time=<a href="tel:1615319653">1615319653</a> user_id=196]

I'm finding there is some effect from server load James, although it affects the One X version considerably more than the Series X, at least in my experience. Have you tried it at non peak times? As for freezes, I've yet to have one freeze at any point on the Series X at 60 Hz, but I had one nine hole round on the One X where it happened three times, two of them prior to my starting the swing. One of those freezes lasted like 5 seconds.

Out of curiosity, if you don't have DoF, AA, and bloom OFF, try turning them off and see if that doesn't make some difference.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions John, I will check those settings again once I get back into town as I will be away until at least Sunday, and if so will try to finish the weekender event.

Yeah, those freezes happened on the series X which was very surprising to me but on the Tuesday daily it was much smoother. The smoothness was there but the frame issues was persistent.

Glad that you’re back playing on the consoles, I can see you’re ripping that ball off since the improvements.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

If you look ahead to Monday's schedule, you'll see that I've added an experimental twist to this coming Monday's Daily at Celtic Isles. It will have an "Alternate Event" running along side the "Main Event". MERACE expressed a desire for another difficulty level which would would use "Master" swing difficulty with the swing timing (tempo) off. If you didn't play in the previous "Main Event" and finish in the top 25 (which if you play all four rounds you will in a field of 7 or 8), you're eligible to play in the Alternate Event. It's a stand alone event, running in parallel at the same course, but I don't think you'll see any scoring from what's going on in the other event.

It might be worth a shot if you're really put off by the wonky tempo that can plague this game, especially if you're not playing on a Series S or X, where the frame rate boost benefits are fully realized at 60 Hz, this might be something you'd want to try.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I played all 4 rounds and need to build up money to change clubs etc but -46 for 4 rounds 8O What kind of settings are we playing with? Is -10 to -12 the typical round score for DSP events? Good shooting though, that's only 32 strokes better than JT's final score LOL.

Including this tournament that was probably my 10th round on the Xbox. I thought it played well, I did run into some issues with Very Slow swings even though I was pretty consistent with tempo I felt. I never did the swing calibration yet on the Xbox either. It was nice to play with more than 5 guys.

I not sure when a golf game is going to get closer to real life scores if it is even possible. I wish they would find a way to capture the excitement of the back 9 of todays tournament because it is really lacking from the game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah amazing score for the leader as I was trying to squeeze my four rounds after a long 14 hours flight back home. Needless to say I was playing speed golf before the time expired and overall I really enjoyed the course. Personally based on the final score by the Pros today, I would prefer a difficulty setting or course difficulty that would mimic more the real life scores instead of hearing ‘You better score a few birdies here and there to catch up to the leader’ y the announcer from the third round on :oops: but very smooth experience today.

John, what’s SSAO and do you suggest leaving it on or off?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I got absolutely smoked and was out of it after the 1st round. Is there some sort of handicap setting for those of us who aren't studs at the game?

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Thanks John for setting up the alternate tournament for Monday with Master difficulty and timing (tempo) off.

I scored relatively well (-6) for me due to some good putting. :)

I’ve struggled from day one with the tempo in this version of the game. I’m finding playing with tempo off much more enjoyable. :D

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:27 pm
So I played all 4 rounds and need to build up money to change clubs etc but -46 for 4 rounds 8O What kind of settings are we playing with? Is -10 to -12 the typical round score for DSP events? Good shooting though, that's only 32 strokes better than JT's final score LOL.

Including this tournament that was probably my 10th round on the Xbox. I thought it played well, I did run into some issues with Very Slow swings even though I was pretty consistent with tempo I felt. I never did the swing calibration yet on the Xbox either. It was nice to play with more than 5 guys.

I not sure when a golf game is going to get closer to real life scores if it is even possible. I wish they would find a way to capture the excitement of the back 9 of todays tournament because it is really lacking from the game.
We probably need to consider upping the swing difficulty to "Pro" from "Pro-Am". I'll do that as an experiment for Tuesday and Wednesday's events to see how that works out. I was -24 after two rounds, but then forgot how to putt in round 3, then couldn't hit the fairway with a hand grenade and still couldn't putt in round 4. I hate to number how many sub 4 foot putts I missed in those two rounds.

As for JOZ's (Major Bubbs) -46, there's no secret as to how he does it... son of a gun makes every putt he looks at! I was just shaking my head in awe of some of the putts he made over the last two rounds at Sawgrass! I do think the putting difficulty will be ratcheted up a bit in going from Pro-Am to Pro. We'll have to see how it works out in Tuesday and Wednesday's 18 holers, although it will probably take a larger sample size than that to get a better handle on it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am
We probably need to consider upping the swing difficulty to "Pro" from "Pro-Am". I'll do that as an experiment for Tuesday and Wednesday's events to see how that works out.
I had no idea this was on the easy setting, now I feel like a dope for not scoring better. Also their representation of Sawgrass doesn't really do a great job on how tough those greens are. If you watched how many putts the pro's were missing. This game needs an in between green setting from grids to no grids. Like a green book where you can look at the slopes etc like in real life.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am
J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am
We probably need to consider upping the swing difficulty to "Pro" from "Pro-Am". I'll do that as an experiment for Tuesday and Wednesday's events to see how that works out.
I had no idea this was on the easy setting, now I feel like a dope for not scoring better. Also their representation of Sawgrass doesn't really do a great job on how tough those greens are. If you watched how many putts the pro's were missing. This game needs an in between green setting from grids to no grids. Like a green book where you can look at the slopes etc like in real life.
I went with the official course's default condition setting for the tournament. The green speed wound up being medium slow. They certainly didn't play as medium slow in real life this past week. If they'd have been fast, or even medium fast, as they should be to reflect real life, the scoring would have at least been in the -20s, I'd guess.

I agree on the green grids needing an option between grids and none. Not sure what it is though, as I find heat maps to be a bit too otherworldly.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:20 pm
Yeah amazing score for the leader as I was trying to squeeze my four rounds after a long 14 hours flight back home. Needless to say I was playing speed golf before the time expired and overall I really enjoyed the course. Personally based on the final score by the Pros today, I would prefer a difficulty setting or course difficulty that would mimic more the real life scores instead of hearing ‘You better score a few birdies here and there to catch up to the leader’ y the announcer from the third round on :oops: but very smooth experience today.

John, what’s SSAO and do you suggest leaving it on or off?
I'm setting "Pro" swing difficulty for Tuesday and Wednesday's tournaments. I think most of us will find that offers more of a realistic challenge. For me it surprisingly makes the putting a bit more difficult.

SSAO is Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. It helps develop more realistic shadows and enhances shading of textures in various degrees of shadow better. I think it helps the looks in this game and it has no performance impact that I've read or about, and I certainly since no impact when I play the game. I've actually measured its effect in the PC version. The frame rate counter shows now change with it on or off.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am
The official course's default condition setting was used for the tournament, I think, Mark can correct me on this if I'm wrong. The green speed wound up being medium slow. They certainly didn't play as medium slow in real life this past week. If they'd have been fast, or even medium fast, as they should be to reflect real life, the scoring would have at least been in the -20s, I'd guess.

I agree on the green grids needing an option between grids and none. Not sure what it is though, as I find heat maps to be a bit too otherworldly.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 am
Pretty simple solution, these are what I use in real life and I imagine the Pro's caddies use etc.

https://store.golflogix.com/
Follow Me on:

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I'm all for going to "pro" swing difficulty. I've tried it a few times lately. I think it's a bit more consistent than when I first tried it when the game was released. Not sure if that is me getting used to it or the frame rate boost or both.

I couldn't imagine putting on a golf game without a grid. I'm willing to try, just seems impossible to visualize a break on a green looking at a screen. But then again, I never tried.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

TIGER WOODS INKS LONG-TERM EXCLUSIVE DEAL WITH 2K
https://pgatour.2k.com/news/tiger-woods ... al-with-2k
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone