PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by Greensboronclion »

Turning swing tempo off is like shooting fish in a barrel and just to easy and almost impossible to hit a bad shot. IMHO it should never have been put in the game and why they did it is beyond me. I have no interest in playing with it and find that Pro with no meters and just vibration feedback is the best way to play this game. Just my 2cents and commenting here because nobody seems to comment on the PC thread out there and probably better just consolidate the two.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm
Turning swing tempo off is like shooting fish in a barrel and just to easy and almost impossible to hit a bad shot. IMHO it should never have been put in the game and why they did it is beyond me. I have no interest in playing with it and find that Pro with no meters and just vibration feedback is the best way to play this game. Just my 2cents and commenting here because nobody seems to comment on the PC thread out there and probably better just consolidate the two.
It's the last tournament I want to play with the swing timing turned off; it's just missing too much of a core dynamic of the game to suit me. One thing I did do last night as I was playing a practice round to experiment with various settings. One thing that really stood out to me was how difficult it is to hit a putt straight in Legend difficulty. I had some grotesque pulls and pushes simply trying to hit a straight putt!? I did play a stretch of 4 holes in one under par in legend difficulty, which shocked me, but that stretch ended with a triple bogey. I think my best fit right now is Pro-Am on the XBox One X, and Pro on the PC.

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm
Greensboronclion wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm
It's the last tournament I want to play with the swing timing turned off; it's just missing too much of a core dynamic of the game to suit me. One thing I did do last night as I was playing a practice round to experiment with various settings. One thing that really stood out to me was how difficult it is to hit a putt straight in Legend difficulty. I had some grotesque pulls and pushes simply trying to hit a straight putt!? I did play a stretch of 4 holes in one under par in legend difficulty, which shocked me, but that stretch ended with a triple bogey. I think my best fit right now is Pro-Am on the XBox One X, and Pro on the PC.

Really finding it interesting that there is so much difference in playability from Xbox to PC but hearing others say the same. I play my career mode on PC at Pro-Am and all Society events at Pro and might move to Pro on career. By the way some really good events we have had lately and there might only be 3 or 4 of us playing the PC events but they have been fun. Today I was 4 under on 12 and looking to make a move and bang one mistake and a double ended that due to a very slow swing. Lol.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Greensboronclion wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 pm
Really finding it interesting that there is so much difference in playability from Xbox to PC but hearing others say the same. I play my career mode on PC at Pro-Am and all Society events at Pro and might move to Pro on career. By the way some really good events we have had lately and there might only be 3 or 4 of us playing the PC events but they have been fun. Today I was 4 under on 12 and looking to make a move and bang one mistake and a double ended that due to a very slow swing. Lol.
It's all down to the difference in frame rates. I find it much easier to manage my tempo when I'm getting twice the feedback during my swing. Thge putting and chipping game also feels better due to the doubled frame rate. I'm going to be very disappointed and ultimately, pissed off, if HB Studios doesn't update the game to where it can run at 60 FPS on the Series X. All they have to do is put a software switch in it to allow VRR to be used, or vsync to be unlocked, or set a 60 Hz. It would be criminal for them not to do so!

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Had an ace yesterday on the early par three ( don't remember which hole) in my 2nd round of the weekend tournament. I know it's my first ace in the society and I believe it's my first in this game. Later on in the round, I came within an inch of my second :)

I did notice more small performance issues on this course as well. Nothing that hampered gameplay at all, but still surprising on the one X. I did notice after I reset my modem it seemed a bit better. Would a slow connection cause some performance drops during play? I thought once the course was loaded, it would only connect to update scores and save where you are.

With you guys talking about how smooth it is on the PC, it will be interesting how it runs on the series x.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am
Had an ace yesterday on the early par three ( don't remember which hole) in my 2nd round of the weekend tournament. I know it's my first ace in the society and I believe it's my first in this game. Later on in the round, I came within an inch of my second :)

I did notice more small performance issues on this course as well. Nothing that hampered gameplay at all, but still surprising on the one X. I did notice after I reset my modem it seemed a bit better. Would a slow connection cause some performance drops during play? I thought once the course was loaded, it would only connect to update scores and save where you are.
Kudos on the ace... I'll make sure I play my round along side your ghost ball for round 2 so I can see it! I did a back flip when I saw the 7 foot terrace, and how steep it was on the first green!? I ended up on the lower portion of it it and didn't have a clue of how hard to hit the 60 foot birdie putt I faced. I wound up hitting a sand wedge splash shot off the green an snugged it up to 5 feet, only to miss the putt and leave myself a 6 footer coming back, which I managed to sink for a bogey.

I saw where someone had released a LiDAR version of this course yesterday afternoon, but this tournament had already been set. I'm going to try the LiDAR version to see if that ridiculous terrace is in the first green there. There were a few other head-scratching slopes in the greens there, but none to compare to the 1st.
With you guys talking about how smooth it is on the PC, it will be interesting how it runs on the series x.
I'm biting my nails in anticipation of what, if anything, HB Studios is going to do beyond bog standard backward compatibility for the Series X. Here's a snip from an article that was posted on XBox.com two days ago concerning backward compatibility. It will give you an idea of the range of possibilities are out there:

"Backward compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X and S, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the consoles for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, with significantly higher performance than their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality. Backward compatible titles also benefit from significant reductions in load times due to the massive leap in performance from our custom NVME SSD at the heart of the Xbox Velocity Architecture."

The bolded and underlined part is where the real mystery lies. I get the impression that if HB Studios has locked the frame rate at 30 FPS using a method that can't be superseded by the Series X's encoder, we're going to be hamstrung to 30 FPS, no matter what the Series X is capable of doing. I can't see that PGA TOUR 2K21 would have to be stuck to 30 FPS for any physics or animation reasons. Heck, I'm already playing it with an unlocked vsync on the PC and see frame rates varying from 40 to 64 FPS, without causing any animation problems. I'm telling you... this is a stunningly different and more enjoyable game at ~60 FPS. 2K21's swing interface needs 60 FPS to deliver what it needs to deliver!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

A new LiDAR version of Shadow Creek was released just hours ahead of our tournament last Wednesday, so it wasn't available when the tournament was scheduled. I played the front nine Thursday, and it is an excellent course, and looks incredibly faithful to its real life counterpart. It's going to get 5 stars and a favorite from me if the back 9 is as good as the front!

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

So.. that course for this weekends tournament... 8O Not exactly a looker is it... :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm
So.. that course for this weekends tournament... 8O Not exactly a looker is it... :)
Just remember as you're playing it, it's called "Sherwood Country Club" :) It honestly looks like an autogen course with about an hours worth of customizations. It's a shame we don't have a LiDAR version of Shewood Country Club, as I'm sure it would be a very popular course. I remember it being perhaps the most played course on Jack Nicklaus 5 back in the mid 90's!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Just remember as you're playing it, it's called "Sherwood Country Club" :) It honestly looks like an autogen course with about an hours worth of customizations. It's a shame we don't have a LiDAR version of Shewood Country Club, as I'm sure it would be a very popular course. I remember it being perhaps the most played course on Jack Nicklaus 5 back in the mid 90's!
If it's the Sherwood Country Club that's about 10 min. from my house, that's Tiger's favorite course and the one he does all his "special" events at. Like that Tiger and Phil even last year. It's a legit course - but we'll see if it looks anything like the real thing.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am
If it's the Sherwood Country Club that's about 10 min. from my house, that's Tiger's favorite course and the one he does all his "special" events at. Like that Tiger and Phil even last year. It's a legit course - but we'll see if it looks anything like the real thing.

It'll be interesting to read your reaction to it.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:
You should have got on your supercomputer and made a lidar course of it! :P

I only played the front 9 of it and it was very basic, didn't see any bs holes so that's why I scheduled it.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:
It is that course. “The Match” was there a few years back.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah that is not a good representation of Sherwood...yes, the track is kind of in the middle of nowhere but the different grass types are not even close. We don't get that variety here in So. Cal. It's definitely a quickly thrown together course...no doubt about it.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I’m shelving this game for a while, just not having any fun with it right now and it feels like a chore to play it, maybe when the series x comes out I’ll give it another go. Such a struggle for me to get to even par in a round while you guys are scoring double digits under par every single round, ugh.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

vader29 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:42 pm
I’m shelving this game for a while, just not having any fun with it right now and it feels like a chore to play it, maybe when the series x comes out I’ll give it another go. Such a struggle for me to get to even par in a round while you guys are scoring double digits under par every single round, ugh.
I'm certainly a lot worse at this version than the last one!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

vader29 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:42 pm
I wish you had the chance to play this on a PC that can run it at 60 FPS, Mark, it makes a huge difference! It makes me less tolerant of the timing issues I have with the XBox One X version for sure. The more I read, the more I'm thinking it will require intervention on HB Studios' part to unlock vsync or provide a 60 Hz vsync option so that the Series X could run it at 60 FPS. So far I've read nothing from HB Studios that suggests they are willing to do that... we'll see.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 am
I'm actually getting worse at this game on the XBox One X over time. The 30 FPS frame rate cap, that frequenly dips below 30 FPS is the core of the problem, I think. I still get some sort of perverse pleasure from playing it though, even when I'm playing it in a pissed off Jon Daly mode, just going through the motions to finish and post a score :oops: :)

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Hit my first albatross in 2K21 in today's tournament. 4th hole, second shot on the Par 5 was a nice Hybrid 3 that bounced on the fringe, rolled down the sloped green and right into the cup.. Yay.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Nice on the albatross. I'm pretty sure I have never had an albatross in any golf game ever.

I have kind of struggled the last 2 tournaments finding any kind of consistency. That goes for swing and putting. It's actually been more realistic score wise, but still a bit frustrating considering the scores I'm up against.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 am
fsquid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 am
I'm actually getting worse at this game on the XBox One X over time. The 30 FPS frame rate cap, that frequenly dips below 30 FPS is the core of the problem, I think. I still get some sort of perverse pleasure from playing it though, even when I'm playing it in a pissed off Jon Daly mode, just going through the motions to finish and post a score :oops: :)
John, I’d like to have your type of struggles based on the daily yesterday. But yeah, much like you I am mostly just plugging along trying to improve here and there and wishing that the series X will fix the frame rate for us console gamers. There were a few cases in the past week where even John (the announcer) would say ‘it’s going to take a miracle to reach the leader’ or something to that extent and that’s a quote as I would start a third rounder of a weekender or by the time I am about the 8th 9th hole of a daily.

He should add ‘don’t bother playing’ to his vocabulary really. :lol:

I am still enjoying this version much more than 19, I like to see close tight finishes, but when I see the score 12-15 strokes ahead of the trailer, it does get discouraging to start a round.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

10spro wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 pm

He should add ‘don’t bother playing’ to his vocabulary really. :lol:

I am still enjoying this version much more than 19, I like to see close tight finishes, but when I see the score 12-15 strokes ahead of the trailer, it does get discouraging to start a round.
I feel exactly the same. 😕

I’m really beginning to think that frame rate has a significant effect on tempo. 🤔

-MERACE

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

No weekend tourney?

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fsquid wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:02 pm
No weekend tourney?
I forgot that Vader was taking a break. I went to play the weekender and saw there wasn't one, so I set it up last night. It'll run 3 days for two rounds at Port Royal... it's a nice course, btw!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

James, I was dueling it out with your ghost in yesterday's tournament at Weldon Heath. We were tied at -6 going to the 18th. I stuck my approach reasonably close, like maybe 12 feet from the pin, while you were a little ways off. I rolled my 12 foot birdie putt 10 feet past the hole, then missed the comebacker, leaving myself a 4 footer for par, which I rimmed in. It was a choke job extraordinaire! The real choke job came earlier in the round, when I missed an 18" birdie putt... I was too hard-headed to play the break that I saw was there!