PGA TOUR 2K21

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PGA TOUR 2K21

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:41 pm
I'll have to do another capture later as I forgot to set my capture settings, keep in mind I'm on an ultrawide and I don't think I can stream at that resolution.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/724360376
As you know, I now have the PC version installed and went through enough of a setup phase to where I was able to play a round last night. I spent a little time in the character creator trying to get a reasonable likeness of myself because I've always found doing that makes me feel more invested in the game. I tried to play a few holes, just to get an idea what res and graphics settings I needed to use to hit 60 FPS, without sacrificing too much in the way of appearance.

The first thing I realized was that I hadn't done a swing calibration. I set the res at 1440p, turned off DOF and bloom, used TAA for anti-aliasing, went 100% on course object detail, Utlta on grass textures, and everything else to high. This allowed me to get 60 FPS on the practice range and I went through the swing calibration. I gotta say, it felt more fluid for sure, at 60 FPS, but my senses are adjusted to a heavy week of 30 FPS and I didn't get comfortable with it. I was spraying stuff right and left.

After I got back home last night I tried playing a round at TPC Boston, since I'd just played two rounds there in the last 16 hours for the XBox One Society. I found that those graphics settings list above, which had yielded 60 FPS on the practice range, resulted in 42 to 45 FPS on the course, and since I had the vsync set to 60 Hz, I was getting some screen judder. It was a mess. Even at those settings, I was surprised at how washed out and lacking in detail and vibrance it was compared to the XBox One X version 8O. The lighting looked so much more natural on the XBox One X.

I finally had to go back down to 1080p, set the grass detail down to "high", and back the course object detail slider down to 84, to hit 60 FPS at TPC Boston. It honestly started looking more like the stock XBox One version with those settings, although it was locked at 30 FPS. I will say that the swing felt more fluid and responsive, but out on the course I was spraying it wildly because I was having trouble tuning my senses to 60 Vs. 30 FPS. Even the putting was tougher to regulate and for some reason, I was leaving most of my putts well short. I've got some experimenting to do before I really know what I've got here, but I'm disappointed that my recently upgraded gaming PC can't handle it any better than what I saw last night. Here are my current system specs, FWIW:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

This same system was running TGC 2019 at 1440p at 60 FPS, on most courses, so I don't know what about 2K21 has thrown it such a curve. Anyway, after I turned in my 92 at TPC Boston on the PC, I fired up my XBox One X for the 3rd round of the DSP tournament at Boston. I'd had just enough exposure to 60 FPS to screw up my senses yet again, and this one turned into a hacker fest. I put up an 85, after going 74 and 75 in rounds 1 and 2. :oops: I couldn't find that little groove that I'd just started to feel only a day earlier. If I had known my PC wasn't going to be able to run 2K21 at least with the same settings I ran TGC 2019, I'd probably have kept my money in my pocket. It's just hard to look at 2K21 on my PC at the res and settings needed for 60 FPS, after seeing how more naturally vibrant and detailed it is on my XBox One X, albeit at 30 FPS.

I'm not giving up on it as a gaming platform yet, as there are other factors to consider. OTOH, I have a LiDAR course (Rock Hill Country Club) I was working on with TGC 2019, and now I'll be able to import it to 2K21 and continue working on it a lot sooner than I had planned, as Chad's LiDAR tools are obviously working great with 2K21.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:55 pm
I set up a PC Society if anyone wants to join.

Search Digital Sports page
Sent a request to join. Also sent you guys a steam friend request.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:55 pm
I set up a PC Society if anyone wants to join.

Search Digital Sports page

I will join and thanks for doing it.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Holy F I am loving the PC version. I haven't felt so alive playing a game in ages.

I just finished the first DSP society tourney today at Saxon Farm.

To start my round 3 (I was +2 going in), I doubled the first hole then bogeyed the 2nd to drop to +5.

I went on a par run and then was able to scratch a 5 birdies over the last 9-10 holes to finish round 3 at even.

My 4th round I start birdie-birdie to go 2 under. I then par out the front 9, then the magic happened.

10: Birdie
11: Birdie
12: ACE!!!!! Hole in one baby!!!!!
13: Birdie

I birdied 16, parred 17 and birdied 18 (by chipping in after a short approach shot) and finished with a63 in round 4 and the tourney at -9

Freaking awesome! The wind picked up quite a bit in round 4 but I was able to somehow control enough approach shots and some longer putts went down.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I absolutely love PGA TOUR 2K2. It’s a huge improvement over PGA TOUR 2019. However, I’m struggling so much with the new swing that I’ve had to completely change the way I move the controller stick on every shot except for putting.

If we are going to continue to use only Pro difficulty than I probably will NOT continue playing in DSP Society tournaments. It’s no fun hitting into bunkers and trees on almost every hole. I play golf IRL better than in this game (on Pro setting) and I suck at golf IRL. :|

In PGA TOUR 2019 I could not handle the Master clubs and played with Pro clubs. For me, in the new game, Pro level is harder than the Master clubs were in the old game.

Is it possible to restrict the difficulty level to more than one setting (i.e. Pro & Pro Am)? If not, can we alternate difficulty levels each week?

-MERACE

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

It seems like there should be two difficulty settings in between Pro-Am and pro :)

Pro-Am seems about what Pro was in 2019. I am playing Pro-Am in my career. I am definitely having more fun with it than pro, but it is a little easier than I like as I am able to shoot under par most of the time.

This weekend's DSP society at TPC Boston was probably the most aggravating rounds of video golf I have ever played. :D

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I haven't tried pro am yet, only been playing on pro and my best round was +1 with the majority of my scores in the double digits and it is getting ridiculously frustrating to the point I don't want to play the game anymore so we may have to go to pro am for the society if everyone is good with that, I just thought pro would be the same level as last years game but it has become obvious that it is not.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

To me Pro-Am is the equal of Pro for 2019 and the current Pro level is what the old game was for Masters and a bit more unpredictability no matter how many times you calibrate the controller.

Before the game was launched, by watching my favorite you-tubers I could tell that our level would be more appropriately fitted by using Pro and Pro-Am level and we have a few top notch players here too.

I don’t mind trying Pro-Am myself although the stubbornness in me is still going Pro with my current career with very little perks uncovered while shooting a -1 as my best score.

Here are my suggestion for future DSP tournaments. Weekenders, go back to just two rounders, we could add a bunch more dailies if we want to keep things fresh.

If we try Pro-Am, we definitely need to get rid of the meters for putting and see how everyone fares from then on.

With that said, kudos to Diablo for this weekend score.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

10spro wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:48 pm
To me Pro-Am is the equal of Pro for 2019 and the current Pro level is what the old game was for Masters and a bit more unpredictability no matter how many times you calibrate the controller.

Before the game was launched, by watching my favorite you-tubers I could tell that our level would be more appropriately fitted by using Pro and Pro-Am level and we have a few top notch players here too.

I don’t mind trying Pro-Am myself although the stubbornness in me is still going Pro with my current career with very little perks uncovered while shooting a -1 as my best score.

Here are my suggestion for future DSP tournaments. Weekenders, go back to just two rounders, we could add a bunch more dailies if we want to keep things fresh.

If we try Pro-Am, we definitely need to get rid of the meters for putting and see how everyone fares from then on.

With that said, kudos to Diablo for this weekend score.
I echo everything said above. I thought Pro would be fun, with us all struggling to break par, but if majority prefers Pro-Am that's totally fine with me. But in that case, it would be great to get rid of the meters....

Greensboronclion
Mario Mendoza

Post by Greensboronclion »

I sent a request two days ago for PC society but still says waiting for approval. Can someone approve this poor old hacker my caddie and I are ready to tackle the task in front of us. I was on Xbox for TGC 2019 but only PC for new game.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I don’t use the meter for regular shots or putting. I find them too distracting.

However, I do like the Swing Vibration on especially for putting. :)

-MERACE

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I agree. Pro seemed like the obvious choice as our 2019 society tournaments were at times too easy to shoot low scores. But if it's not fun, then there probably won't be many people stick around. Pro-Am still might have lower scores than what we are wanting (around par), but it may be more enjoyable for all.

I would also say Pro-Am with all meters off would be the way to go for now.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

FWI worth. Just changed my settings to a Pro-Am on my career mode with everything off for one game and I missed only two fairways, one because of an unlucky bounce to the sands and the other one because I just knowingly pulled the shot fast.

Wished there was an in between Pro/Pro-Am level. In a future patch maybe. But yeah it was a much more enjoyable experience with less cursing on my part this time. :twisted:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 am
I absolutely love PGA TOUR 2K2. It’s a huge improvement over PGA TOUR 2019. However, I’m struggling so much with the new swing that I’ve had to completely change the way I move the controller stick on every shot except for putting.

If we are going to continue to use only Pro difficulty than I probably will NOT continue playing in DSP Society tournaments. It’s no fun hitting into bunkers and trees on almost every hole. I play golf IRL better than in this game (on Pro setting) and I suck at golf IRL. :|

In PGA TOUR 2019 I could not handle the Master clubs and played with Pro clubs. For me, in the new game, Pro level is harder than the Master clubs were in the old game.

Is it possible to restrict the difficulty level to more than one setting (i.e. Pro & Pro Am)? If not, can we alternate difficulty levels each week?
As someone who who at last check was tied at +31 for last place in this week's DSP tournament, I can embrace your argument. I have a 65 to my credit in one Pro difficulty round, but I generally go between 75 and 82 with Pro difficulty. I've inserted the PC version of 2K21 into the equation as of Friday night, and that hasn't helped my senses adjust.

How about this; just to get a measure of how Pro-Am will play, how about l set the difficulty to Pro-Am for the Daily at Daulphin Highlands CC on Monday (This course is one of the most realistic looking LiDAR courses I've played, BTW). I can still revise it. I think we'll find the scores to be a little more in line with those to which we're accustomed.

I have made the swing meters "Open" (meaning user's choice) for that Daily already. I find both the swing and the putt meters more of a distraction than an aid. I find that I do a better job of factoring the haptic feedback in for backswing length better, even though I think the haptic feedback starts a bit prematurely. I've also changed the pins in/out setting to "out", so you'll have to toggle the X button when you want the pin in.

This has turned out to be a rough weekend for me on both the internet and the plumbing front. I got disconnected from the internet 5 times during my 4th round last night, shortly before my wife came upstairs to tell me of a plumbing leak in the bathroom... it wasn't a "leak" it was a pipe rupture on the supply side of the side of the shutoff valve :( With only 30 inches of crawl space overhead at the point of the break, It's been one of the least desirable home repair jobs I've ever been involved in... and it's still not completely repaired yet, but thank God for Flex Tape in the meanwhile! It'll make the golf that much more precious to me when I get back to me though :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

JOZ wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:54 pm
I agree. Pro seemed like the obvious choice as our 2019 society tournaments were at times too easy to shoot low scores. But if it's not fun, then there probably won't be many people stick around. Pro-Am still might have lower scores than what we are wanting (around par), but it may be more enjoyable for all.

Tournament for Monday set to Pro-Am with meters optional to the player. I've played with meters of an on, and I swear, I do better with them off because my eyes are going back and forth between the golfer animation and the meter and it winds up being a distraction to me. Does anyone else feel that way besides MERACE? I can always set Tuesday's Daily to force meters off, just to see what the popular opinion is on that... sound reasonable?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

John, as I mentioned above personally I prefer the meters off, % off etc. Thanks for setting up the dailies...

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pigpen81 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:09 pm
Holy F I am loving the PC version. I haven't felt so alive playing a game in ages.

I just finished the first DSP society tourney today at Saxon Farm.

To start my round 3 (I was +2 going in), I doubled the first hole then bogeyed the 2nd to drop to +5.

I went on a par run and then was able to scratch a 5 birdies over the last 9-10 holes to finish round 3 at even.

My 4th round I start birdie-birdie to go 2 under. I then par out the front 9, then the magic happened.

10: Birdie
11: Birdie
12: ACE!!!!! Hole in one baby!!!!!
13: Birdie

I birdied 16, parred 17 and birdied 18 (by chipping in after a short approach shot) and finished with a63 in round 4 and the tourney at -9

Freaking awesome! The wind picked up quite a bit in round 4 but I was able to somehow control enough approach shots and some longer putts went down.
It's good to read your reactions to the PC version pigpen. Those are great scores by you coming out of the gate! I'm still trying to come to grips with the differences in feel, and to a lesser degree, the looks of it compared to the XBox One X version. I had to drop back to 1080p to hit 60 FPS, which was my goal, but while it feels smoother and more responsive, it's messed the touch up I developed for the feel of 30 FPS on the XBox One X version. I shot a 92 with the PC version at Boston, after a 76 on the XBox One X version. Now I'm sort of screwed up feel wise with both versions.

I thought I had a decent gaming PC, but my frame rates are all over the map with 2K21. I played a few holes at the sparsely tree'd Craigendoran Links course and was able to stay between 43 to 48 FPS at 2160p (Ultra grass detail, rest at High). If I drop the res to 1440p with those settings on that course, I'm at 60 FPS+. If I go to Quail Hollow with those same settings at 2160p, I get 32 - 35 FPS, and 44 - 48 FPS at Craigendoran.

If I'm going to be playing 2K21 on the XBox One X and PC, I probably need to cripple the PC version to 30 FPS to keep the feel more consistent.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

10spro wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:31 pm
John, as I mentioned above personally I prefer the meters off, % off etc. Thanks for setting up the dailies...
Thanks for your thoughts on this James. We may end up trying three difference setups Monday through Wednesday to get some feedback on it and get a better idea of what works best for the majority. I just think that so many of these settings that are lockable, should be left to the discretion of the player, as long as they don't affect difficulty to something less than the "base" difficulty. For example, I don't think anyone could make the argument that my wanting to turn the swing meter OFF, in Pro difficulty somehow lessens the base Pro difficulty level.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

John, I am using the mouse instead of a controller on the PC. I believe I am on pro-am settings as well. I haven't messed with any graphic settings. I'll have to check where it set as a default.

Greensboro, Dan may be out of town this weekend as it looks like he hasn't progressed in this weekends tourney since Friday?

The mouse swing is much less demonstrative than Sierra's PGA Championship series from 20 years ago. I take my mouse back around 1-2 inches and push forward around 1-2 inches. It can be touchy but I have improved a ton on it since my first hour with the game.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pigpen81 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 pm
John, I am using the mouse instead of a controller on the PC. I believe I am on pro-am settings as well. I haven't messed with any graphic settings. I'll have to check where it set as a default.

Greensboro, Dan may be out of town this weekend as it looks like he hasn't progressed in this weekends tourney since Friday?

The mouse swing is much less demonstrative than Sierra's PGA Championship series from 20 years ago. I take my mouse back around 1-2 inches and push forward around 1-2 inches. It can be touchy but I have improved a ton on it since my first hour with the game.
Holy smokes...Sierra PGA Championship! Memories!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I prefer the meters off. Just as you guys have mentioned, the swing meter is more of a distraction than anything. It makes things worse for me. The putting meter on the other hand made putting a little too easy as far as hitting the right pace. I think the vibration setting is a nice, fair alternative to this.

Nice tournament Diablo! Shooting under par for four rounds on Pro is damn impressive.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:22 pm
JOZ wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Tournament for Monday set to Pro-Am with meters optional to the player. I've played with meters of an on, and I swear, I do better with them off because my eyes are going back and forth between the golfer animation and the meter and it winds up being a distraction to me. Does anyone else feel that way besides MERACE? I can always set Tuesday's Daily to force meters off, just to see what the popular opinion is on that... sound reasonable?
First round I played on Pro Am and that felt a lot better, was -2 going into the 17th hole but a double bogey on that hole and a triple on 18 ended my shot at finishing under par yet again in this game, just have to figure out the putting now.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I just added everyone who sent a PC request. so there are 4 of us. Sorry was not near my PC most of the weekend.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 pm
pigpen81 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Holy smokes...Sierra PGA Championship! Memories!
Yes Doby, and 20 years ago we were playing High Heat and hanging out online at the bullpen :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:07 pm
It's good to read your reactions to the PC version pigpen. Those are great scores by you coming out of the gate! I'm still trying to come to grips with the differences in feel, and to a lesser degree, the looks of it compared to the XBox One X version.
This is going to sound bad but if the PC version looks worse then the XB1X version then your PC specs can't be very good. On my rig this isn't even in question, it looks 100 times better on PC. I have no idea what the minimum specs are on the PC but there is 0 lag at all for me on Ultra Settings.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation