Retro Gaming

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Retro Gaming

Post by Wilk5280 »

Since being home a lot more over the course of these last several months I've pulled out a lot of my older consoles and have been dabbing a bit into some of the games of yesteryear. While I haven't gone back too far, I've been playing a lot of original xbox, 360, PS2 and PS3 games. What I've come to learn, for me anyway, is that the golden days of gaming are far behind us. I've been having more fun with these older games than anything on the current systems.
  • Jet Grind Radio - Dreamcast
    Crazy Taxi - Dreamcast
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Dreamcast
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X - Xbox
    Burnout 3: Takedown - Xbox
    SSX: Tricky - PS2
    SSX: 3 - PS2 (although the BC version on XBOX One X is INSANELY good)
    Splashdown - PS2
    NCAA Football 2004: PS2 (probably my favorite football game of all time)
    Sega Rally Online Arcade - 360
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour '13 - 360
    Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - PS3
I know there's quite a few that I've forgotten. That list includes a lot of pick up and play arcade style games and tbh just the type of gaming experiences I don't think we really get in this current gen.
GT = Wilk5280

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by pigpen81 »

Wilk, I busted out my Dreamcast and played a little "Space Channel 5". I'll have my 12 year old play it next to see how he reacts.

Next will be "Samba De Amigo" followed by "E.G.G."

I need to find my copy of Jet Grind Radio.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

All great games for a system ahead of its time.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm getting back into full on retro gaming and I picked up the Retroid Pocket 3+ the other day. Holy crap what a device. Full on retro gaming up to PSP games (and a few select PS2)...cloud gaming from Xbox, PC and NVidia - all for 150 bucks. Beautiful display, solidly built, mediocre battery (around 4+ hours). Can't recommend it enough. Been in the rabbit hole looking for devices the past few days and settled on it and the Anbernic RG35xx for a smaller more portable unit for my son to use. It doesn't do the game streaming, but can go up to PS1 games as well. Both units can hook up to your TV for your bigger screen viewing pleasure. Awesome devices if you're in the market or just want something to tinker with.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:01 pm
I'm getting back into full on retro gaming and I picked up the Retroid Pocket 3+ the other day. Holy crap what a device. Full on retro gaming up to PSP games (and a few select PS2)...cloud gaming from Xbox, PC and NVidia - all for 150 bucks. Beautiful display, solidly built, mediocre battery (around 4+ hours). Can't recommend it enough. Been in the rabbit hole looking for devices the past few days and settled on it and the Anbernic RG35xx for a smaller more portable unit for my son to use. It doesn't do the game streaming, but can go up to PS1 games as well. Both units can hook up to your TV for your bigger screen viewing pleasure. Awesome devices if you're in the market or just want something to tinker with.
are there any of these devices that play a full ps2 library?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:42 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:01 pm
are there any of these devices that play a full ps2 library?
Not until you get up to the steam decks and other full fledged pc handhelds. That custom processor in the ps2 is a bastard to emulate apparently.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I was on a retro kick myself this year.

Bought a Logitech G Cloud for Xbox remote and cloud gaming earlier this year. I also got it for the emulation capabilities. Emulates well all the way up to PS2. Compatibility for all the games I wanted was good to excellent. Of course the newer the system you are trying to emulate, the more you might have to play with the settings. Biggest highlight for me was finally being able to play World Series 98 on the Saturn. A new update just came out that allows video out so I'm excited to try that out.

I bought a used Xbox 360 about a month ago. I still have an original Xbox as well. Made a couple trips to Disc Replay and and bought probably 15-20 games(probably 1/2 sports) that aren't backward compatible on the Series X. Picked a few up at local flea markets as well. Pretty fun nostalgia trip.

I also paid the $20 developer mode fee on the Series X to be able to install NFL 2k24 mod. Awesome mod for NFL 2k5. It's ran through a PS2 emulator, so naturally got some more PS2 titles. On the Series X, I am able to run 4k resolution on almost all. Very cool.

It can all be a little time consuming to set everything up, but well with it once finished.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I bought a G Cloud for my trip to Europe last summer...used it the entire time, liked it, but thought it was a little too big for my use. I wanna pocket it and go - whip it out for a quick session (huhuh) - and go on my way. Fantastic device, tho especially now with all of these smaller systems w/ the horsepower coming out for less than half the price, the price needs to come down to $200-225 tops. It was one of the most comfortable systems I have ever used, so I can see the appeal if there are a lot of long sessions expected.

I finally got that Tiny Best Set (ROMs) downloaded and installed to replace my mish mash of random ROMs I've gotten over the years so the library is nice and organized w/ all the art and the Daijsho front end. It's beautifully done.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

I got the G Cloud for $250. Doubt I would have spent more for it. Definitely more options coming out now with more power, but nothing I've seen that even comes close to battery length. Guess it depends on what you are looking for.

That Daijisho front end is fantastic.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I would just to own a device that has all the PS2 games. If that exists let me know where I can buy it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:39 pm
I would just to own a device that has all the PS2 games. If that exists let me know where I can buy it.
It now exists and mine just arrived.

AYN Odin 2…absolutely fantastic device. Does most Switch games too. More power than the emulators can even use right now.

Base model is $300, the same price as the GCloud originally. Just ten times the power. You can only really order the Pro (the one I got) and the Max (overkill imo) right now but if you keep checking their site it restocks all the time. My goal was ps2 and switch so I went with the Pro model just for the extra RAM.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/odin-2

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

That Odin 2 Pro looks nice and is probably the way I would have went if it was available when I got the G-Cloud. You will have to let us know what you think after you spend some time with it.

The G- Cloud has added video out in a recent update which is a nice bonus. Always good to have options. I also started using Xbxplay which allows 1080p remote streaming instead of the official Xbox app which only allowed 720p for some reason. Xbxplay also allows backwards compatible Xbox 360 games to stream that the Xbox app did not allow.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:14 am
Lancer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:39 pm
It now exists and mine just arrived.

AYN Odin 2…absolutely fantastic device. Does most Switch games too. More power than the emulators can even use right now.

Base model is $300, the same price as the GCloud originally. Just ten times the power. You can only really order the Pro (the one I got) and the Max (overkill imo) right now but if you keep checking their site it restocks all the time. My goal was ps2 and switch so I went with the Pro model just for the extra RAM.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/odin-2
Good link for a getting started with one of these for someone who has 0 experience setting something like this up? A 101 course if you will
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk - this dude covers just about every system out there...complete walk throughs on setting up each device with emulators and whatnot. The only thing the doesn't cover is Switch...since Nintendo is so "sue happy"...so that's kind of hit or miss when you get to the more powerful devices like the Odin 2. Plenty of awesome devices that are a little smaller and less powerful, like the newly announced Retroid Pocket 4 Pro (skip the regular one). It's gonna be awesome and more compact than the Odin but have about 75% of the power. Gonna be an awesome device too.

https://retrogamecorps.com/

Sadly I've been through about a dozen devices in the last month since that first post trying to find a good combo. I'm set now. Retroid Pocket 2+ for 4:3 games (basically Dreamcast/Ps1 and earlier) and the Odin 2 for the higher end stuff and streaming (PS2/Switch/3DS).

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:21 pm
Wilk - this dude covers just about every system out there...complete walk throughs on setting up each device with emulators and whatnot. The only thing the doesn't cover is Switch...since Nintendo is so "sue happy"...so that's kind of hit or miss when you get to the more powerful devices like the Odin 2. Plenty of awesome devices that are a little smaller and less powerful, like the newly announced Retroid Pocket 4 Pro (skip the regular one). It's gonna be awesome and more compact than the Odin but have about 75% of the power. Gonna be an awesome device too.

Sadly I've been through about a dozen devices in the last month since that first post trying to find a good combo. I'm set now. Retroid Pocket 2+ for 4:3 games (basically Dreamcast/Ps1 and earlier) and the Odin 2 for the higher end stuff and streaming (PS2/Switch/3DS).
Thanks!!!
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Meant Retroid Pocket 2S - the newly released one with the analog triggers and hall joysticks. Got three of them, one for me, one for my son and one for his best bud. These things are awesome just take-a-long pocketable devices. The Odin is too big to just carry everywhere.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:45 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Thanks!!!
How's ps2 performance on the Odin 2?
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:54 am
Wilk5280 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:45 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:

Thanks!!!
How's ps2 performance on the Odin 2?
I’ve tried about 20 games and all have run perfectly at 4x resolution. The only system that struggles even a little bit is the switch and that’s mostly because the emulators are so new. The system has more than enough power.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Sweet!

Ordered one and waiting patiently for it to get here so I can start fumbling my way through setting it up.
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:44 pm
Sweet!

Ordered one and waiting patiently for it to get here so I can start fumbling my way through setting it up.
That site I linked above, Retrogamecorps does tons of walkthroughs on the different devices. Just follow the Odin guide and you'll be good to go!

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/05/28/a ... ter-guide/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not only is the Odin 2 a great retro machine but I'm out of town on vacation and been playing my Xbox via remote play and via cloud gaming and it's been fantastic. The best part about it is the battery life. Streamed games for over six hours yesterday watching football and it had 60% left when I went to bed. And this was on high performance mode. If you are just emulating you can go even longer on standard mode.

What a device. I had the GCloud for my last trip and this is a much more well rounded device. I do miss the bigger screen tho in my old age. Some of the cloud gaming text is quite small on the 6". My only real complaint.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

No sh#t. One of the main reasons I just got my first pair of readers was the GCloud. That and my phone looks so much better now. Amazing how that works. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I really miss MVP Baseball...been playing the PS2 version of NCAA MVP 2007 and the control, the gameplay, the interfaces...just so much better than today's games. What a gem of a game. If you have the means, check it out.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:12 pm
I really miss MVP Baseball...been playing the PS2 version of NCAA MVP 2007 and the control, the gameplay, the interfaces...just so much better than today's games. What a gem of a game. If you have the means, check it out.
Just watched some YT gameplay vids..... so good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

As good as The Show is (and it's the best active team sports franchise by some margin), there are parts of the MVP and High Heat franchises that were better. Miss both.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425