Snowrunner

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Snowrunner

Post by Teal »

This is the sequel to the niche game pass game, Mudrunner. I was VERY skeptical of Mudrunner, but gave it a shot because, hey, it was free. I really enjoyed that crazy thing, due to the physics, and something I couldn't put my finger on. But the environment was depressing. Mud, mud everywhere, little to no color, and it was just a constant slog.

When I saw the trailer for Snowrunner, I was immediately interested due to more variety. More environments, and more varied things to do. It also looked pretty beautiful. But it was 50 bones this time.

When push came to shove, I broke down and got it. And...

I've been hopelessly hooked ever since.

This is one of the most engaging games I've ever played. And I've figured out that "thing" I couldn't explain when people would ask me about Mudrunner, what makes me play for hours on end.

This isn't a driving game. It's a puzzle game. I mean yeah, you're driving, but the idea is "here's your mission, figure out how to do it." You're not handheld on which truck to use, which attachments you need, what upgrade is best for the situation, nothing. You have to logic it out. And it's VERY satisfying, due to an insane physics model that has you dreading driving into that muddy intersection or across that flooded road.

The environments are massive, with plenty to do, from simply finding a way to mountain pinnacles, to hauling large trailers out of the bog or transporting loads to repair bridges. All whole navigating a flooded or snowed in landscape.

There's co-op as well, where the open world is yours to do... Whatever. I would LOVE to see how that exercise goes.

I would almost say that Snowrunner is kind of like Trials in an open world, with natural obstacles. It's a very relaxing game, but also very challenging. I really, really like it.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Snowrunner

Post by Rodster »

I never tried Mud Runner but downloaded it on Game Pass. It's a pretty cool game although I don't get the load point system yet. I'll wait for Snow Runner to show up on Game Pass.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Rodster wrote:I never tried Mud Runner but downloaded it on Game Pass. It's a pretty cool game although I don't get the load point system yet. I'll wait for Snow Runner to show up on Game Pass.

That's completely fair. I know it's a niche title, and I get totally not shelling out 50 bucks for it.

But I'm an idiot. Lol

However, I just happened to have gotten a gem for my risk. I remember Mudrunner having a confusing system, which is why I didn't return to it after a short while. But it's seriously all I want to play right now. That and the Hunter...lol.

And FWIW, I've experienced no ambiguities over the control systems this time. So there's that.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I bought it on the PC after playing some Mudrunner on gamepass and I couldn't be happier. It is HARD - for sure - because of the lack of handholding that Teal mentioned. But it's really cool just trying to navigate the terrain, only to find out the bridge is gone and you have to rebuild that too. It's just a crazy amount of stuff to do. It's a really fun game to sit and have a beer/cocktail and just listen to some music/podcast and veg out to. Definitely isn't an edge of the seat difficulty, its a puzzle game difficult. So you can relax doing it.

Completely agree with Teal...awesome game.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I’m going to end up playing this just because seeing the name is making this song run though my head over and over. Plus, it seems like the right tune for this game.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/4hRU44TW4E4[/youtube]
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I've been incredibly intrigued by this too. I just can't bring myself to pay full price. Seems like something I'd love, but I've read reports of glitchy-ness on PS4.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

This is a top 10 title ever for me. I don’t play it constantly, but every few weeks I have the itch to play it for a few hours. I own all the DLC, and will forever support this developer. I’m sure it’s on Gamepass, but it’s well worth the price. If you enjoy the game, you will literally get hundreds of hours from it. Many die hards have played over 1000 hours. Definitely worth a look, since it’s really one of a kind.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Wow.. you guys come up with some games I've never heard of but I download (it's on GP) and play them and I'm blown away at how much fun I'm having.

This game is a lot of fun, thanks for recommendation Teal!!!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Haven't been on DSP in a loooong time but randomly popped in and noticed this thread on Snowrunner and I had to chime in. The way i discovered this game was pretty strange. I had just played a bit of Death Stranding. I love the hiking and load balancing aspects of that game but hated pretty much everything else about it. It got me thinking that there needed to be a hiking/backpacking simulator where the core game play was all about traversing difficult terrain with the use of various tools and enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. Unfortunately that game doesn't exist but I ended up finding it's close cousin in Snowrunner.

I really appreciate what this game does. It's got everything I am looking for; It rewards the player for skill, good planning, and patience. There is a real sense of accomplishment when you complete a long and difficult mission. Plus there is the sense of discovery when you travel to new areas of the map. Unfortunately driving trucks doesn't really do it for me so I got burnt out fairly quickly. I might try to jump back in at some point but for now I'm just bummed the backpacking version of this game doesn't exist.

My dream game is a mash up of the hiking physics of Death Stranding, the realistic maps of Hunter: Call of the Wild or RDR2, and the mission structure of Snowrunner.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby