Codemaster's F1 2020

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Codemaster's F1 2020

Post by GB_Simo »

Following on from Zlax's post about strategy, I wanted to share the story of my second My Team race in Bahrain.

I might have had enough pace to reach Q3 had I been paying attention to my tyre allocation. I wasn't, so in Q2 I ran a banker lap on softs to get my eye in without realising I only had one set of them. Look in the dictionary under "futility" and there's a picture of me fitting the medium tyre for my push lap.

Starting 15th while still congratulating myself on my tactical wizardry, I noticed a piece of AI behaviour which I'm sure is new, or at least stands out more than it used to. As before, the field tends to bunch up a little during the first couple of turns. In times of old, this would have been an invitation for the player to take a big run at them and gain a few cheap places early on, but the last couple of years have seen improvements to lap 1 AI behaviour which make it harder to do. This year's change, as I discovered when Lando Norris came belting past me on the outside as I hit the brakes for turn 1, is that the AI are trying to do the same thing as you and doing a very solid job of it.

Having loused up qualifying, I thought I'd recover a few places by running an alternate tyre strategy. These are 25% races so the default strategy was 6 laps on softs, then 8 laps on mediums. I thought I'd start on the mediums, try to hang with the midfield early on and be on a faster tyre for a shorter stint towards the end.

On lap 5, with me in 11th place and hanging on fairly well to the cars in front, Max Verstappen broke down, parked inconveniently and brought out the safety car. For the 20 cars on softs, this was the ideal time for a pit stop. For the 2 on mediums who didn't have a prayer of carrying soft tyres to the end from here, less so.

I "radioed" for hard tyres via the MFD. I didn't even know if I had any hard tyres, or if I could get them up to temperature in time for the restart. I did and I couldn't. Surrounded by cars who'd have more grip than me for as long as the race lasted, I went for a big lunge on Albon and Perez at the restart that got me into 8th place on the brakes and 9th on the throttle, where Perez just drove straight around me.

I worked every angle trying to keep Albon back, because this is a video game and I thought that if I turned my fuel mix up and hammered the Overtake button I might just drive away. The 3 corners it took Albon to drive around my outside, using the superior traction of tyres that weren't still cold to the touch, were enough to remind me that what we're dealing with here is a really quite convincing stab at simulating a proper race.

A race in which I was thoroughly done over by something I couldn't control. There aren't many games that would let you come away feeling that was an entirely fair, completely above-board, genuinely enjoyable representation of the sport it simulates. This is one.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm

A race in which I was thoroughly done over by something I couldn't control. There aren't many games that would let you come away feeling that was an entirely fair, completely above-board, genuinely enjoyable representation of the sport it simulates. This is one.
This made me fall in love with the game, the little nuisances.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I just had a race at the USA track at 50 percent...I was told to do a two stopper. So I ended up stopping twice but couldn't catch the leader who only did a one stopper. So much fun!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Caved and bought this game at full price. Worth every cent so far. Man, Codemasters really nailed it with this edition. The best series-specific racing game franchise -- with ease -- just put all of the others even further into the rear-view mirror.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

My walls are crumbling too,. Might dust off the wheel and play something besides EASHL. :mrgreen:
Can we do online private races?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 pm
My walls are crumbling too,. Might dust off the wheel and play something besides EASHL. :mrgreen:
Can we do online private races?
We can. I've just checked: you can set up an Unranked lobby and specify that you want it to be either Friends Only or Invite Only.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Thanks Simo, i may have to get this then as long as you all promise me we can resurrect the rfactor party days of yor. :twisted:
No, seriously we got to get a group going for this at least once.
We need to reconnect.
Those Rfactor days where awesome.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:03 pm
Thanks Simo, i may have to get this then as long as you all promise me we can resurrect the rfactor party days of yor. :twisted:
No, seriously we got to get a group going for this at least once.
We need to reconnect.
Those Rfactor days where awesome.
Count me in!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I'm all kinds of in. Who else have we got for the greatest show in all of online racing, fellas?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I'm in. It's not cross platform is it?

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Sign me up....

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

GB_Simo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm all kinds of in. Who else have we got for the greatest show in all of online racing, fellas?
*sigh* Oh, I would love to join in, but there’s just no way - between new baby (son #2, just 4 weeks old now) and the time difference, I mean, there is simply no way. I’m barely gaming at all at this stage anyway, or really doing much of anything that isn’t chasing around 2-year old son #1 and trying to sleep.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good to hear from you, Zep, you FILTHY ANIMAL! Congrats on Contestant No. 2! :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Zep, I want to tell you the time difference was always manageable but at the time, I was young enough that my hair hadn't fallen out, I didn't have a 4 year old daughter and my thyroid still worked. Another world...

XB1 owners: if you're still on the fence about purchasing this basket of magnificence, please take advantage of its presence on Free Play Days, allowing you to play the full game from now until the end of this week without spending a single penny.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sony has the Schumacher Edition on sale for $45ish

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:19 pm
Zep, I want to tell you the time difference was always manageable but at the time, I was young enough that my hair hadn't fallen out, I didn't have a 4 year old daughter and my thyroid still worked. Another world...

XB1 owners: if you're still on the fence about purchasing this basket of magnificence, please take advantage of its presence on Free Play Days, allowing you to play the full game from now until the end of this week without spending a single penny.
I am on season 3 of the My Team mode and this year my car just seems slow but I am still loving it! I do a race a night and that hour of racing just hits the right spot.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

EA beat Take Two to acquire Codemasters. The deal is worth $1.2 billion although T2 could come back and up their offer. But as it stands, Codemasters will now be a part of the EA brand. Personally I don't like either company buying Codemasters.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:02 am
EA beat Take Two to acquire Codemasters. The deal is worth $1.2 billion although T2 could come back and up their offer. But as it stands, Codemasters will now be a part of the EA brand. Personally I don't like either company buying Codemasters.
Definite mixed emotions. This deal will bring Codemasters' brilliant games to more people through EA's marketing might, but I worry about the "EA effect" in which gameplay takes a back seat to frivolous features. Coming soon to F1 2021: Asphalt Street Karting Mode. :cry:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 pm
Rodster wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:02 am
Definite mixed emotions. This deal will bring Codemasters' brilliant games to more people through EA's marketing might, but I worry about the "EA effect" in which gameplay takes a back seat to frivolous features. Coming soon to F1 2021: Asphalt Street Karting Mode. :cry:
Or how about NFS Need Formula Speed. You drive thru the streets of Palm City in a Formula 1 car where you get chased by cops. And your mentor is none other than Lewis Hamilton.

I hope EA never reads this comment. I don't want to give them any ideas. :lol:

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

New for F1 2021, F1 Ultimate Team. Spend a hundred quid in a vain quest to secure a gold Lewis Hamilton card and end up with a bronze Jean-Denis Deletraz, 27 old Eurobrun chassis and a trailer full of Life W10 engines.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 pm
New for F1 2021, F1 Ultimate Team. Spend a hundred quid in a vain quest to secure a gold Lewis Hamilton card and end up with a bronze Jean-Denis Deletraz, 27 old Eurobrun chassis and a trailer full of Life W10 engines.
Thanks Adam, you just gave me the best laugh I have had in awhile! :) I am always amazed at your wit and the the depth of your F1 knowledge, especially given how much younger you are than me. Thanks and Well done!

PS - There has been an update for F1 2020 adding the F2 2020 cars and drivers among other things.
F2™ 2020 is here!
https://www.formula1game.com/2020/news/f2-2020-is-here

From today, you’ll be able to get your hands on the F2™ 2020 line up including all the teams, cars and drivers as part of our free update to F1® 2020. You can check out the full notes to patch 1.14 here, or you can read more about today’s update below!

F2™ is the training ground for F1®, with many drivers including Lewis Hamilton, Charles Leclerc, George Russell, and of course, most recently Mick Schumacher, winning the championship before graduating into the pinnacle of motorsport.

It’s also a spec series, which means that by-and-large, the cars are the same, and the emphasis is on the driver to make the difference on race day.

If you haven’t taken the 2019 F2™ cars out in F1® 2020, now’s the perfect time to try out the original F2™ 2020 calendar, with 12 weekends of two races each: the Feature race, which has a similar format to an F1® race, and the Sprint race, where the top eight positions are reversed and start from the back in a shorter race. The cars are also a little bit different from an F1® car. They have less downforce and no power steering, so if you haven’t taken any of the F2™ cars out yet, you’ll need to brake a lot earlier and be more cautious into the corners.

Take them for a spin in Championships, Time Trial and Multiplayer – you can check out our brand new screenshots of some of the F2™ teams below, but we’d love to see your pictures of them in action!

F1® 2020 PATCH NOTES - v1.14
https://www.formula1game.com/2020/news/ ... atch-notes

Patch 1.14 is out now on PC, Xbox, PS4 and coming very soon to Google Stadia - and you can check out the notes below:

Added the F2™ 2020 Season Vehicles - you can find out more about the F2™ cars here.
Addressed an issue where French and Spanish audio would not be available for specific regions.
Addressed an issue for Xbox One X users where audio could cut out when near other cars.
Tyre wear will now correctly be tracked when leaving/joining a session.
Weather forecast is now correct in full qualifying.
Tyre icons are now aligned on the spectator HUD regardless of the number of laps completed.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 pm
Nailed it! :lol:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I just recently got into 2019 via game pass and I freaking love it (not usually my cup of tea). Anyway, I’m two races into my career and I can’t figure out how to change my difficulty(too easy). All the gameplay setting (like AI skill) are all greyed out. Anyone help here?? Has to be a way. Thanks
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I don't have F1 2019 installed anymore, but I found this;

F1 2019 Career Mode | How To Change The AI Difficulty Before A Race (TUTORIAL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36-Ni4F3K-k
In this video I am going to be showing you how to change the AI difficulty in career mode on the F1 2019 game.
How do I change AI difficulty in career mode?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/928600/d ... 545365086/
You can change the difficulty between the different free trial stages before or between qualifying or just before the race in the loading screen.
You press the key of the options at the bottom right ... But you must act quickly. Whatever key is mapped to pause.
How to change AI difficulty in F1 2020
https://www.gamepur.com/guides/how-to-c ... in-f1-2020
Just like in real life, keeping within the confines of the tarmac and on a sensible racing line is just as challenging in F1 2020, and that’s before having to think about the other drivers in the race. Thankfully, you can make the opposition drivers as good as you want with the ability to change the AI difficulty mid-season.

However, it’s not obvious exactly where to go to make adjustments to the difficulty. The game settings in the menu will allow you to do it, but this is not practical if you want to keep adjusting the difficulty mid-season to maintain a good balance.

To adjust the settings on the fly, the easiest place to do this is in the loading screen menu options. Once you are about to start a race weekend, the loading screen will allow you to open the options. Here, you will see a gauge for the AI level, from level 1 to 110. From here, you can set the skill level of the other AI drivers in the race, ranging from Easy to Ultimate levels of difficulty.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

That did it! Thanks!

With the Series X, the load times are so quick, they should really consider NOT tying it to the load screens.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474