Codemaster's F1 2020

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Codemaster's F1 2020

Post by Rodster »

The one feature that has me most excited is "My Team". You can now start your career as a driver mgr and be the 11th team on the grid. You'll also be able to change the length of your seasons. Then there's the Michael Schumacher edition.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Codemaster's F1 2020

Post by pk500 »

Let's hope Codemasters spends time on the driving model, which regressed in F1 2019 compared to F1 2018.

The modern cars in F1 2019 are far too floaty and far too pointy in the front end, and the ease of brake lockup is ridiculous. These are the most sophisticated racing machines on Earth, with a ton of aerodynamic grip and more weight now than probably ever due to all of the ancillary parts for KERS. Yet the modern cars almost feel like Hydro Thunder arcade boats in F1 2019.

F1 2019 has a very deep, fun Career mode. It also has F2. Both are big edges over F1 2018. But the 2018 is a far more satisfying and fun experience behind the wheel, which is where it counts.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F1 2019 is $14.99 this week in the Xbox Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/f1-20 ... verviewtab
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

The 16 classic cars are:
2010 Red Bull RB6, Ferrari F10, McLaren MP4-25
2009 Brawn BGP 001
2008 McLaren MP4 –23
2007 Ferrari F2007
2006 Renault R26
2004 Ferrari F2004
2003 Williams FW25
1998 McLaren MP4-13
1996 Williams FW18
1992 Williams FW14
1991 McLaren MP4/6
1990 Ferrari 641, McLaren MP4/5B
1988 McLaren MP4/4

Deluxe Schumacher Edition Extras:
1991 Jordan 191
1994 Benetton B194
1995 Benetton B195
2000 Ferrari F1-2000

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:The 16 classic cars are:
2009 Brawn BGP 001
2008 McLaren MP4 –23
2007 Ferrari F2007
2006 Renault R26
2004 Ferrari F2004
2003 Williams FW25
1998 McLaren MP4-13
1996 Williams FW18
1992 Williams FW14
1991 McLaren MP4/6
1988 McLaren MP4/4

1991 Jordan 191
1994 Benetton B194
1995 Benetton B195
2000 Ferrari F1-2000
Codemasters does a FANTASTIC job with the F1 series. But F1 started in 1950. Why do the classic cars start only in 1988?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
DChaps wrote:The 16 classic cars are:
2009 Brawn BGP 001
2008 McLaren MP4 –23
2007 Ferrari F2007
2006 Renault R26
2004 Ferrari F2004
2003 Williams FW25
1998 McLaren MP4-13
1996 Williams FW18
1992 Williams FW14
1991 McLaren MP4/6
1988 McLaren MP4/4

1991 Jordan 191
1994 Benetton B194
1995 Benetton B195
2000 Ferrari F1-2000
Codemasters does a FANTASTIC job with the F1 series. But F1 started in 1950. Why do the classic cars start only in 1988?
I wasn't too fond of the 2010 Ferrari, I wouldn't consider it a classic. But what if Codemasters did a "REAL Classics" package like the 1950's and 1960's cars with the tracks that went along with it? A remake of Grand Prix Legends if you will.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I wasn't too fond of the 2010 Ferrari, I wouldn't consider it a classic. But what if Codemasters did a "REAL Classics" package like the 1950's and 1960's cars with the tracks that went along with it? A remake of Grand Prix Legends if you will.
YES!

Cars that are 10 years old are NOT classics.

What about 50s Vanwall and Maserati? Clark's 60s Lotuses? The John Player Specials and Ferraris of the 70s? Gordon Murray's ground effects Brabham of the 80s?

So many damn misses on this list. I know this isn't GPL or a historic game, and the focus is and should be on the current season and cars. But the historic cars seem to be a half-assed, "let's tick this box and move on" addition to this game.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It seems especially odd when you consider the big deal being made over F1's 70th anniversary season. Let's mark the occasion (and ignore the 2 seasons which ran to F2 regulations, but never mind that) by reducing our classic offering.

Me and Rod had a little discussion in the F1 2019 thread about classic cars. Rod said all the cars, be they classic or modern, felt the same. I felt that you couldn't drive them all exactly the same way because they had varying levels of grip, but that you also couldn't drive the Lotus 72 like Ronnie Peterson because the game wouldn't let you get it sideways. The more I thought about it, the more I realised we were saying the same thing.

I don't know if it's because they're half-arsed efforts or because the existing physics just don't allow it. Some of the places you can bin it in F1 2019 - the exit kerb at Melbourne's quick chicane is a prime example - suggest that Codies aren't modelling downforce as much as they're scaling tyre grip according to how fast you're going. That might explain what Rod felt last year, and it would probably render something like a 250F an understeering bust.

Perhaps removing all the pre-1988 classics from the game is a tacit admission of that. Perhaps I'm talking bollocks.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I preordered this...anyone else getting it?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Zlax45 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:55 am
I preordered this...anyone else getting it?
I did, just under 14 hours to go until unlock! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Eurogamer says this is the F1 game ever even if the authenticity is not real because the Sport has been altered due to Covid 19.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I've been considering a late pre-order but will wait to see what you all make of it first, I think.

Partly, that's because I don't want to spring for the Schumacher edition only to be massively underwhelmed by how my beloved Jordan 191 feels to drive. Partly, it's because I thought F1 2019 was terrific and still traded it in after a few weeks on grounds that the overall experience was basically unchanged from 2017 and 2018. I'm not sure yet whether My Team is going to be enough to shake that feeling this year.

Don, have you gone in with one of your euphoric losses of restraint and ordered the Schumacher edition? Come to that, have you, Zlax? Would love some thoughts on whether the classic cars feel particularly different this year compared to the last few efforts.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:00 pm
I've been considering a late pre-order but will wait to see what you all make of it first, I think.

Partly, that's because I don't want to spring for the Schumacher edition only to be massively underwhelmed by how my beloved Jordan 191 feels to drive. Partly, it's because I thought F1 2019 was terrific and still traded it in after a few weeks on grounds that the overall experience was basically unchanged from 2017 and 2018. I'm not sure yet whether My Team is going to be enough to shake that feeling this year.

Don, have you gone in with one of your euphoric losses of restraint and ordered the Schumacher edition? Come to that, have you, Zlax? Would love some thoughts on whether the classic cars feel particularly different this year compared to the last few efforts.
I had some extra Xbox gift card money so I did just play three rounds of multiplayer against random guys (only five laps a piece). It was pretty clean and I didn’t run into anyone crashing into people on purpose. I haven’t played F1 since the 2018 version but I thought the braking was much more responsive (as I could stop faster) than in the 2018 version. The default camera view is amazing as it really captures the speed. (I do have to figure out how to get the rear view mirror up though as I heard that was an option).

The first race I did was Austria in the rain (the computer picked I guess) on the default camera and I was struggling to find my braking line but with the water spraying everywhere it was awesome.

The second race was in Texas and I proceeded to jump the start and get a drive through penalty but I ended up in a good competition for third place but forgot I was in rich fuel so ran out in the final two turns.

The final race I did was in Bahrain and finished second out of six racers. Everyone has an equal car which is awesome too.

The ERS button is nice as it is the LB button on the XBox and easy to switch it on and off.

Those are my quick thoughts but I would love if we could do a night of racing if we get a few of us with it and do 25 percent races which are about twenty minutes long or so.

Anyways I am off to bed, hopefully that helps

Sorry, I didn’t touch the classic cars...I will do that the first thing on Tuesday for you

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I just did some laps with the Jordan and the 2000 Ferrari and didn't recognize a big enough difference for the ten dollars for the Schumacher edition.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The Schumacher edition is only 3 bucks more than standard for me...maybe it's a Games with Gold discount or whatever, but it was 62.99 at the store. Probably worth the 3 bucks for the edition with more content.

Just wish it was a game that I could play on the PC as well. Every Xbox Game should be that way.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

A bit of good luck today, came across someone who accidentally got the Xbox version when he bought a new Fanatec wheel and posted it on craigslist for $20. I planned to buy the PC version on sale at some point but couldn't pass it up at that price.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I played my first MY TEAM race tonight....I finished in 20th place (last place since two cars DNF'd) and ended up getting laped at only level 60 for the computer opponents (I was able to win races in F1 2018 at level 70 when using Ferrari cars).

The interesting part is during practice my DRS wing got stuck in the upright position so it is good to see random stuff happen to your car and I was by far the slowest car on the track on the opening weekend because the car needs some FUNDING.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The IGN reviewer said the rear of the car is more planted in F1 2020 than in F1 2019. That's good. Hopefully the driving model will be more similar to F1 2018, a game in which I thought you could really stand on the wheel and wring more out of the car than last year's game.

No question I'll buy this. Codemasters' F1 series delivers consistent quality. The big questions are when and which version. The only Schumacher car I want to drive is the Jordan 191.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I hate the new Vietnam course...just saying!

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Ran a 50 percent race last night (26 or so laps) at Azerbaijan and my engineer told me to do a two stop plan. I had won the poll and was leading but it told me to pit on lap 4 or 5 as I started on soft tires. I decided to follow their advice and put on the medium tires. The grip started going on the tires around lap 20 as I was leading up so I had to pit to put the softs back on. Proceeded to finish in 9th place.

I loved that I screwed up the strategy and they made me pay as Leclerc went on a one stop and won the race.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I bought the Schumacher edition because I'm weak. What follows is based on the XBox controller, all aids off, with AI set to 93.

Codemasters haven't reinvented the wheel. This is one of their F1 games and you know coming in to it broadly how you're going to feel. Every change to the handling model is a detail change, none of them constitute a massive overhaul and this is very much the next instalment of an annual series. It's very good, though.

A number of little annoyances from F1 2019 are fixed. The modern cars have had their downforce rebalanced so there's more on the rear, particularly at high speed. No longer do you arrive at Abbey or Eau Rouge and wonder whether the rear is going to step out if your thumb twitches by a millimetre.

Ferradura at Interlagos is a great place to feel the change too. Last year, you'd turn in carrying big speed in 6th gear, goose the throttle before the second apex and wait to see which end of your car exited the corner first. This year, you do the same thing in the same way and you're rewarded with the mega high-speed grip you imagine one of these cars really has.

They've lost nothing at the front end, though. The handling model is still a fairly safe one - if there's a way to lose the rear under braking, I have not found it - but they turn in pretty positively and feel more responsive on general. I can even drive Monaco without bursting into tears this year. This is also true of the F2 cars, which feel less ponderous on corner entry than they did a year ago.

Generally, this grippier feel also means more traction than you're used to. The end of a lap at Silverstone, for example, has always had me beaten: Vale is fine, the first part of Club is fine and then the acceleration zone is like Bambi on ice. No more, my friends: apply the power assertively, keep it held flat through the second part of Club and off you go.

Oddly, though, corners which double as acceleration zones (Melbourne's turn 2 and turn 10, leading onto the lakefront, are prime examples) feel a little trickier than I remember. I struggle a little against the AI in modern cars and a lot in the classic cars - in the Brawn, I can lose half a second to AI cars of the same class through turn 10 alone. It is possible, of course, that I'm just rubbish there - I've done 5 laps there in the Brawn, which is barely even a Tjungin' at current rates.

I did also notice that in the Jordan 191 and Benetton B195, I had no traction anywhere. My first race was a spec event at Spa in the Jordan during which I used 14 flashbacks to complete 5 laps. I got wheelspin in 3rd gear at La Source on lap 1, I spun every time I looked at a kerb the wrong way and was generally so far out to sea that I needed the Shipping Forecast to get back to the paddock safely. However, this was a 5 lap race, so no formation lap, and both cars started to feel better from half distance onwards. Tyre pressures are dynamic this year rather than being a constant value as before, so I wonder if what I felt there was just tyres coming up to pressure. If so, that's actually quite impressive. If not, then it is possible that I'm rubbish etc.

I'm not convinced My Team has that much to it. A lot of it seems like an extension of the R&D stuff from Career mode, also present in My Team, but as well as allocating resource points to car upgrades, you're allocating budget to upgrading your wind tunnel, or buying a simulator that's more than a Fanatec CSL Elite in front of a TV. Between races, you allocate blocks of time to driver development, marketing, team building days and so on, but you don't see or take part in these activities, seeing only the resultant morale or skill boosts. The race weekend structure is unchanged from last year so unless it really livens up come contract renewal time and Mick Schumacher starts demanding $25 million and a gold-plated helicopter, this isn't a massively in-depth mode. However...

If you're anything like me, then it feels a tiny bit different when the car isn't a McLaren, or a Renault or whatever. My car scored points first time out in Melbourne and while I won't be repeating that in Bahrain or China, I do feel a little bit of personal investment in what the SimSpeed AFS-01 does next.

You don't name the chassis in-game, only the team. I just felt as though I'd like to. I am 35 years old.

Anyway. An unstructured paragraph of other assorted thoughts. Starts are better balanced, with a greater variety of AI outcomes and the possibility of gaining places off the line. AI behaviour is similar to last year but slightly punchier, a little more inclined to attempt a pass and a little less inclined to yield when side by side. The new simplified ERS is much easier, as Zlax rightly says. There's an oddity in the qualifying times: when the pre-race grid rundown comes on, the top 10 do not start in order of their qualifying times, or at least the times shown against them at that point do not match their starting order. Driver of the Day is now presented as being a fan vote and Ant Davidson will sometimes disagree with it and pick his own, which I like. He sometimes tells you he's disagreeing even when he's just agreed, which I'm less pleased with. Oh, and in the pre-race presentation at Melbourne, there's a bloke walking across the lake and kneeling on it as if that's an entirely normal thing to be doing.

Give me a shout if you've got anything specific you'd like to know, fellas. For those who've got the game already, I'd be really interested in finding out how closely your thoughts tally with mine too.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Adam and Zlax!

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I feel like the strategy is so key now. Just ran a 50 percent race in France and it started raining late in the race (it was predicted). Do you go in the pits right when the first drop hits or wait for the computer to? Always a debate.

I am not a HUGE racing game fan usually as I think they tend to get boring fairly quickly but with so many tracks every track when you get back to it feels new. I am happy with my 60 dollar purchase even though I know it will be much cheaper in 4-5 months.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked up the game on cdkeys for $36 for the PC. This will be my first F1 game and am looking forward to checking it out tonight!