RBI Baseball 20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

RBI Baseball 20

Post by Teal »

Well, this was a surprise. If you've given up on the RBI Baseball franchise, I understand, though I've had enough enjoyment to keep me playing every now and then.

But RBI 20 is quite a departure from the formula, in good ways. Now, you have solid pitching mechanics, pitch and location selection, velocity (the longer you hold the button, the harder you throw, but the less accurate you are and the faster you wear out your pitcher). The camera is TV style, behind the pitcher. Batting has also been given a facelift. Now you can power up your swing by holding the swing button. Less power, more contact, more power, less contact. Baserunning is improved, animations are improved, graphics are improved, fielding is more approachable.

I'm impressed. Is it The Show? Certainly not. But it's drastically improved.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: RBI Baseball 20

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah it's DRASTICALLY improved. I got it on the Switch for an on-the-go baseball game and it's definitely going to fit the bill this year. They definitely have made it more sim like if you want. You can always go back to the arcade one button stuff, so I'll probably do that just for fun and a quicker pace.

That said, holy crap the text is small on the Switch Lite I'm playing it on. They definitely didn't take the Switch small screen into account when in handheld mode. Yikes.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I might give it a shot. I miss the days of quick, contagious baseball games like Ken Griffey for SNES. I tried RBI 19 on Switch and thought it played too slow and stale to fit that bill.

I've also wondered how RBI stacks up to The Show's casual/arcade mode, although I don't have a PS4 so it wasn't actually an option for me.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Agree my only gripe is PC version doesn't support Ultrawide and the best resolution is 2440 and when set to that the UI is not all on the screen.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I watched a video of the game and it definitely looks better. TV style camera angles look good. Obviously the animations are basic but that is to be expected. Glad there is a solid MLB game out there for the XB.

A comparison to Retro mode on The Show isn’t really a comparison in my opinion. Retro mode is a waste on The Show. I believe the only reason the mode is even in there is to kill the RBI market. I don’t know anyone who even plays Retro mode. It’s just an arcade camera angle with old school pitching, hitting and fielding mechanics...with all the horsepower of the regular game. Nonsense really. Once The Show hits all consoles next year I think RBI is doomed.

PS, there was a VERY good PSVita version of MLB the Show up until a few years ago so I would expect a very solid Switch version next year too. DB you gotta be on that if it materializes.

For what it’s worth, I like Super Mega Baseball better than RBI. FUN game!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:I watched a video of the game and it definitely looks better. TV style camera angles look good. Obviously the animations are basic but that is to be expected. Glad there is a solid MLB game out there for the XB.

A comparison to Retro mode on The Show isn’t really a comparison in my opinion. Retro mode is a waste on The Show. I believe the only reason the mode is even in there is to kill the RBI market. I don’t know anyone who even plays Retro mode. It’s just an arcade camera angle with old school pitching, hitting and fielding mechanics...with all the horsepower of the regular game. Nonsense really. Once The Show hits all consoles next year I think RBI is doomed.

PS, there was a VERY good PSVita version of MLB the Show up until a few years ago so I would expect a very solid Switch version next year too. DB you gotta be on that if it materializes.

For what it’s worth, I like Super Mega Baseball better than RBI. FUN game!
Of course...will be on The Show on the Switch, when and if it comes out. I'm still skeptical because of the sheer lack of horsepower on the Switch but we'll see. I'm definitely going to be one console next year when the new ones come out. I barely play my PS4 as is - so getting The Show on other consoles will be a no brainer for me to consolidate.

I am sure the Super Mega 3 is gonna be awesome so I probably won't play RBI that much...as it stands I still probably like SMB2 better, but still appreciate the improvements in RBI this year. It's really quite staggering how much work they put into it. Clearly they've been working on it for years while they throw out there roster update from 17, 18 and 19. That game barely improved, so it's good to see they were actually working on something.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Probably doesn't need it's own thread, but RBI 21 is actually a damn nice game for the Switch. I know most won't be buying it now that the Show will be on the Xbox, but if you're looking for baseball on the go, the improvements of 21 are such a huge leap over 20 it's not even the same game.

The addition of all of the new controls, commentary, batting stances, online play, etc all make it worth the 30 bucks on the Switch really. I actually have been sitting down to play it almost every night just on the couch watching tv which I haven't done w/ the previous versions since they were so stripped down. The pitching particularly is challenging and fun this year...their timing/effort meter implementation is probably better than anything the Show has tried to implement too.

So basically what I'm saying is, don't hesitate to buy RBI 21 if you either ONLY have a Switch or just want a nice baseball game to take on the road (and you aren't into Super Mega Baseball series type games which are still the gold standard as far as arcade baseball goes).

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I think the game has improved, but I'm still surprised you guys are giving it a favorable rating. The fielding is atrocious. Half the time the ball doesn't even make it in to the glove. There seems to be many missing animations. With batting, the ball will sometimes look like it's going to the opposite field and then it goes the other way when the camera shifts.

To me, it's a decent game and plays more like a mobile game. Maybe updates will improve the the main issues I'm having (notably the fielding).

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:20 pm
Half the time the ball doesn't even make it in to the glove. There seems to be many missing animations.
I saw the same thing and it looks quite strange like Madden 09 on the PSP where the QB's animation shows him throwing the ball to the right side of his body and the ball magically travels left across his body. Too bad 2K doesn't do another Bigs baseball game or someone else did another MLB Slugfest game.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Its too bad they didnt seem to work on the animations or fielding ball-glove connection. That was by far the biggest issue with '20 and has been an issue since the first game. Otherwise it did play pretty decent and was way better than the previous iterations.

But Super Mega Baseball 3 is so much more fun and is almost flawless gameplay wise. Just waiting on that career stats update that has taken FOREVER.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I really have no problem w/ the animations - I know what I'm getting w/ an RBI game - just a fast paced, pick up and play game with a full MLB license. If it plays decent and is fun, that's my barrier to entry. I've got the Show if I want full anal retentive sim-ness. I was just pointing out that 21 is a huge leap over 20 and it put it in the category of playable...the previous versions were not.