Coronavirus Suggestions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Coronavirus Suggestions

Post by Zlax45 »

pk500 wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:Netflix recommendations on a sporting tip - try F1: Drive To Survive and Sunderland 'Til I Die. Neither require a deep knowledge of their respective sports and both are compelling.
Already watched and LOVED both seasons of Drive To Survive. As a Newcastle supporter, I can't watch the second series unless it was called Sunderland, Die.

:)
The first season was fantastic and I will likely binge it this weekend. I am a big fan of Money Heist also.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Hope everyone is doing well, staying safe and sane.

Was reading the news this morning mand saw this which struck me as Tokyo Xtreme Racer (one of my favorite Dreamcast games), Covid Edition - http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13337246
Deserted Tokyo freeway now an open road for ‘Roulette Gang’

The "Roulette Gang" is back in town, preying on empty expressways in Tokyo after dark when few motorists venture out due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Driving vehicles with souped up engines, they race around the loop Metropolitan Expressway network at way past the speed limit, blaring horns as loudly as they can, generally being a nuisance and daring the police to catch them.

The “Roulette Gang” is a coined generic term for reckless drivers who race on loop-shaped highway roads, mainly in Tokyo and Osaka. They got their nickname from the look of their cars circling roads, like a spinning roulette wheel.

These illegal racers first came to national prominence around 1990, but their numbers had waned--until now.

These fast and furious wannabies sprang back to life courtesy of the deadly virus crisis that left them with too much time on their hands after the government declared a state of emergency for Tokyo and six other prefectures on April 7.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tokyo Xtreme Racer was an AMAZING game. I would love a reboot on modern consoles.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Some total genius is doing live YouTube streams of random NFL weeks from the '80's as if they are airing on Red Zone. This is a staggering amount of work for a totally ridiculous and delightful purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0uGxv ... e=youtu.be

This is a must-watch if you get a smile on your face like I do watching guys in enormous shoulder pads headslap the $hit out of each other...
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

We are well into the new Hulu series The Great, and it is a blast.

https://youtu.be/hJGedvRfHYg
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

RobVarak wrote:Some total genius is doing live YouTube streams of random NFL weeks from the '80's as if they are airing on Red Zone. This is a staggering amount of work for a totally ridiculous and delightful purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0uGxv ... e=youtu.be

This is a must-watch if you get a smile on your face like I do watching guys in enormous shoulder pads headslap the $hit out of each other...
OMG brilliant.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The title of this very good thread cracks me up every time I see it. I read it, and a voice screams in my head: "DON'T CATCH IT."

Gallows humor. Sorry. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Sooo..... Rod was right after all?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:Sooo..... Rod was right after all?
What on earth would make you say that? He couldn’t have been more wrong...100K and counting dead in the US...and still going strong. Sadly.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
What on earth would make you say that? He couldn’t have been more wrong...100K and counting dead in the US...and still going strong. Sadly.

:? :? :?
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

[edit] not doing this.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

OK now that we are over 5 months into this virus, wondering what all your thoughts are on whats going on? I am still very confused and dont know what to think. Here in the US it seems like we are just moving ahead even though the virus is still producing record numbers almost daily. Are you concerned? I certainly am. About my own health (being over 60 now) and about the future of my job and my company and also the future of our country. Things are just so uncertain right now. I know several people that have it and it seems like when people suddenly know a friend or relative with it, they're outlook on the virus immediately changes. Why does it have to get that far before people take something seriously? It's like not worrying about the hole in your roof until it starts raining. Anyway, I know none of us here are experts on this subject but i am curious how you feel this whole thing is going to play out? Will we just continue on as is until a vaccine is available? Can we?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'll be shocked if this discussion doesn't devolve into politics, which is banned here. It's impossible for Americans to rationally discuss COVID-19 based on facts. Instead we all run for our respective tribes, just like with everything else.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:15 pm
I'll be shocked if this discussion doesn't devolve into politics, which is banned here. It's impossible for Americans to rationally discuss COVID-19 based on facts. Instead we all run for our respective tribes, just like with everything else.
No politics, just facts:

1) Over 70 year old aunt in Michigan who is in a nursing facility - caught it and spent 1.5 weeks in ICU, another 1.5 in hospital, and some more weeks in a rehab facility. She has dementia/early Alzheimer's, so didn't really understand why she was in the hospital. Hospital lost her dentures, so she has been gumming food for a few months. Supposed to get ones, but the dentist can't enter the nursing home due to isolating all the residents. Trying to figure out a way to get her out to the dentist to make a mold. Bill from the hospital was surprisingly low, IMO. "Just" $150k for a 3 week stay. Medicare got that down to $14k or so, and she won't be paying for any of it (can't, as she is on Medicaid).
2) Brother-in-law, his wife, and son all came down with it (Texas). He went to the hospital with heart issues, ended up being COVID. He's obese, so I was worried about him. His wife has diabetes, so another strike there. They all came through, and he said "Wasn't that bad." Dude, you were in the hospital with supplemental oxygen for 3 days. Don't be a moron! Other brother-in-law got tested as he'd seen his brother a few days before. Took some 2 weeks to get the results back - inadequate. He was told to work from home, and all his coworkers were tested and got results back before him.
3) I'm in the metro area of Houston, so we are in the hot zone. Been working from home since March 13 with no end in sight. Only time I go out of the house is to a) go for a bike ride, b) walk the dogs, c) mow the yard, d) visit mother-in-law 2 miles away, and e) pick up groceries (online order, stick in the trunk, no contact).
4) I told the folks at work we need to have an office pool for when we come back. I said April 1. May not be that long, but 2020 seems not in the cards. Thankfully I don't have to worry about my job (federal employee), and honestly all the lock contractors are humming along as well. We are busier than ever. Just got done with 4 weeks of continuous reviews with Blue Origin, Lockheed, SpaceX, Northrup, and more. Some coworkers are traveling to support tests. I think that's nuts. No way I'm getting on a plane anytime soon. One coworker is retiring the end of this upcoming week. Will be sad to see her go and not give her a proper sendoff. She's quite talented and always great to be around.
5) Last phone call with my parents this week - mother says she signed up for the Moderna vaccine trial. Braver than I would be. I'll stick with isolation until/if there's something proven and safe. I ain't goona be a guinea pig.
6) We attend a lot of arts events. Usually 2-3 dozen in the fall and the same in the spring. All cancelled for the fall. A bit of a bummer.
7) My ass hurts sitting in the office chair all day. I get up a lot more when in the office.
8) Home cooked meals everyday except for 3 times we got takeout. Don't really miss restaurants.
9) Down 10+ pounds by exchanging commute time for bicycle rides and not going out to eat.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re:

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 pm
I know several people that have it and it seems like when people suddenly know a friend or relative with it, they're outlook on the virus immediately changes.
My outlook about COVID has been serious from the start, since I live in New York state. My casualty list continues to grow:

1. Cousin -- COVID killed him

2. Wife of dear work friend -- COVID killed her

3. Father of college teammate -- COVID killed him

4. Good buddy here in town -- Very sick with COVID for three weeks despite being a guy who had a run streak of almost 400 straight days before he caught the virus

Anyone who calls this "just the flu" can stick a molten sideways poker up their ass and spin. I haven't lost three people I know or close to those I know to the flu in my lifetime, let alone in the last four months.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

For months, me and my friends/family were constantly asking "you know any who's has it/had it?" and the answer was always "no". That's seriously changed in the last 4 weeks. We ALL have close friends & family who have it or have recently gotten over it. THANKFULLY, everyone has pulled through(so far), but lots of concerns & close calls. Wishing everyone the best here!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Paul.....so sorry for your losses. You certainly have a different outlook than most folks here in the South. Most here don't take it seriously until it hits them close to home and that's unfortunate and also confusing. It also is leading to the spread of this virus. We still have folks sitting on top of each other in bars for hours at a time. We still have folks in stores not wearing masks. Why doesn't everyone want to do what they can to mitigate this thing? We now know what works and what has worked around the world....masks, social distancing, washing hands frequently. We all refused to do this and now we are facing another possible complete shutdown. We can't just continue on as were are and wait for a vaccine. This thing is still snowballing and there is so much more we should be doing to slow it down. I get the feeling that people are just giving up fighting it or "won't live in fear" of it. I hear that one a lot. This is a very critical time to slow this thing down. If we head into Winter with COVID out of control, we will then have regular flu season complicating everything and our hospitals and front line workers surely won't be able to handle it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:31 pm
Paul.....so sorry for your losses. You certainly have a different outlook than most folks here in the South. Most here don't take it seriously until it hits them close to home and that's unfortunate and also confusing. It also is leading to the spread of this virus. We still have folks sitting on top of each other in bars for hours at a time. We still have folks in stores not wearing masks. Why doesn't everyone want to do what they can to mitigate this thing? We now know what works and what has worked around the world....masks, social distancing, washing hands frequently. We all refused to do this and now we are facing another possible complete shutdown. We can't just continue on as were are and wait for a vaccine. This thing is still snowballing and there is so much more we should be doing to slow it down. I get the feeling that people are just giving up fighting it or "won't live in fear" of it. I hear that one a lot. This is a very critical time to slow this thing down. If we head into Winter with COVID out of control, we will then have regular flu season complicating everything and our hospitals and front line workers surely won't be able to handle it.
Simple: There are a SH*T TON of people in this country who use "freedom" or "I have my rights" as a euphemism for "I'm one selfish motherf*cker."

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Where a f***in mask. It’s really not a hard concept. It’s your right? My ass. This is unprecedented so shove your skewed views up your ass. Show some god damn compassion for your fellow citizens and where a mask. South Korea has done a great job with the virus. Want to know why? They are disciplined and rely on SCIENCE to drive their approach to dealing with the pandemic. Sorry for the rant but I’m getting fn disgusted with the selfish group of “Americans” who are thumbing their nose at the situation. I was just at the local grocery store and hardware store...wearing my mask and saw no less than 8-10 people without them on. Got an “eyes rolled” look from two Of those dickheads. It’s pathetic. We are doomed if we can’t see what’s going on and adjust our lives to correct it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I haven't posted this before but I almost lost my Dad to this "hoax" as the red hat wearing crowd like to call it. My Mom got this first, she works or worked at a bank in CT. This was way back in March when this was all still "new" she had it for at least 10 days before she even got her tests results back. After 14 days she was supposedly clear but on day 16 had some breathing trouble and was admitted to the hospital She was only there 4 days and was sent home. While my mom was in the hospital I was talking to my Dad daily, he had a slight fever but when we talked he was always out of breath. He always had an excuse and I keep harping on him to get a test. "The whole thing is blown out of proportion" my Dad an 84 year old Fox News die hard would say. That was until the day they took him to the ER by ambulance.

After 4 days he got progressively worse, oxygen and other less invasive methods weren't helping. They gave him that Hydroxychloroquine back at that time because well that what they did and he got worse. I remember having a call with him minutes before they put him on a ventilator, I wondered if it would be my last. Things progressively got worse until one night, April 5th the night before my wives birthday they called and said "we don't think your Dad will make it through the night. If he codes do you want us to do CPR" that's a call you don't want to get and of course we said yes. That night my mom and I had the horrible conversation about what to do if he passed.

The next day my Dad got 0.1% better, and that continued for 2 weeks until after 20 days on a ventilator they were able to take him off. He then got a plasma transfusion as the possible benefits outweighed the risks of having it done, this really helped his recovery. He was not himself right away, couldn't talk, couldn't walk. He spent another week or more (honestly I lost count) in the hospital and then 2 weeks in rehab. He spent his 85th birthday in a hospital and spent a total of 46 days there. Thankfully he is home now, he is back to normal physically for the most part and thankfully mentally. Psychologically he is changed, he gets emotional real easy when he gets to speak to me or one of his grandchildren. He is not so much the kool aid drinker anymore, telling me to be careful and wear a mask etc.

He is one of the rare lucky ones to go on a ventilator and come out the other side. The last time I checked if you go on one your odds of coming off are 60% not just from Covid but from the many other complications it can cause. My Dad thanked the doctor who treated him and the doc said "I didn't do anything, God didn't want you yet and you're the toughest 85 year old son of a b*tch I've ever met" let me tell you I don't hear the end of that one and frankly don't ever want to.

So it's tough for me to have perspective a lot of my friends have and takes ever ounce of strength I have to restrain myself when they scoff at masks, call the whole thing a hoax and a way to discredit Trump. It's a sad day in this country that we have become this divided that something like this is turned us against each other. The one thing I can tell you is this is not a hoax. I know a 45 year old guy who died, a friend of mine lost a 25 year old cousin. My neighbors kids and a friends kid all in their 20's got it but with mild symptoms. The numbers keep piling up and eventually everyone is going to know someone.

Stay safe, be smart and be kind.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

So glad your dad pulled though!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Very, very glad to hear your father pulled through. That is an extremely harrowing tale, and I hope your mom is holding up well too. All the best, Dan.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Can't even begin to imagine all the sleepless nights you and your family had to endure Dan. Great to hear he's doing much better and on the road to recovery. Hopefully, he doesn't have any long term problems due to the virus.

Sad sad times Paul. Sorry to hear of the deaths of close friends and family.

I don't understand the selfishness of people who refuse to wear masks. Here in St. Louis, just a few days ago, there was a video taken at a bar downtown in which hundreds of 20 somethings are dancing and drinking, all without masks! G-d forbid they think of their parents and grandparents. Sadly, it became a political thing whereas it never ever should have been. Because there was so much researchers didn't know about the virus initially, mask wearing wasn't essential at the time. So when the science came out and said to wear a mask, these fools discredited all the research.

I don't know how there is going to be college football, college basketball, or the NFL this season. It's all the about the might dollar obviously. Can we seriously not live without sports for 6 more months? Sadly, it's going to take a player or coach to contract the virus and die before we come to our senses.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

So glad your old man pulled through, Dan. He must be one tough fella, indeed. Thoughts of healing for him and your mom.

Coronavirus has killed more Americans than in any war except for the Civil War and World War II. It has killed 45 times as many people as 9/11.

Flu, my ass.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

My mother works in HR for a large Corp in the Midwest. One of her jobs is tracking employees testing positive for COVID (quarantine dates, severity, etc). This includes notices of “death”. She’s seen a people as young as 38 pass away. The way it hits people so differently is the scariest part.