Coronavirus Suggestions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Coronavirus Suggestions

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:If Govt's and the general public were not treating it as the end of the world, their would be no need for "social distancing", mandatory lock downs and self isolation, panic buying and businesses telling their workers to stay home and closing their doors and this is happening around the world. I still think this has been badly managed by different govt's. That's a sh*t load of extreme measures just for another variant of the flu. But I have to go by the data and that data says that more people catch and die from the common flu.
You live in Florida, right, Rod? Your state is beyond f*cked up when it comes to its public officials' reaction to this virus. Business as usual. I know, because my parents are down there and don't get all the fuss.

Here's the fuss: In New York state, where I live, someone is dying from coronavirus EVERY HOUR. More than 25 deaths YESTERDAY. Our state's cases have mushroomed from 400 last week to 10,000 this week.

You and Ron DeSantis must be drinking buddies because calling this "the common flu" is beyond naive. It's f*cking reckless. The "common flu" is nowhere near this contagious. It's nowhere near this deadly per case.

Oh, and one key fact all of the "Flat Earthers" denying this seemingly forget: THERE IS NO VACCINE OR TREATMENT FOR THIS, unlike the flu.

Sorry, pal, but please remove your head from your ass before it's too late. New York City is headed for a Northern Italy-style apocalypse. Thankfully I live five hours from NYC but am not so deluded to think that couldn't spread to Syracuse.

This virus knows no boundaries. It knows no politics. It spares almost no one. And your state will be hit -- hard -- because of the dipshit kids still partying on Spring Break and because of elected nitwits like DeSantis.

I pray for your health and the health of everyone on this board. Love ya, fellas.
Last edited by pk500 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:I pray for your health and the health of everyone on this board. Love ya, fellas.
Right back at you brother! I pray that everyone stays safe and healthy and is able to weather this storm both physically, financially, and emotionally. Peace...

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Well said PK. Rodster, your posts won’t age well. Stay safe people.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Rodster wrote:
What was different in 1968 vs today, is that schools were still open, Sports leagues were still operating, restaurants were open for business and people were civil even in NYC. There wasn't any panic buying and stockpiling like it was the end of the world. What we have is the potential of completely blowing up the economy and potentially entering another Depression.
^^^ This is what concerns me more than the potential rising deaths from the COVID-19 virus and I'm in the over age 60 higher risk category.

The potential detrimental economic effect to our economy (recession and possibly depression) and especially small businesses (employing almost 50% of US workers) is just beginning to rear it's ugly head. I've spoken with several small business owners and they say if the temporary "shut down" of non-essential businesses continues longer than a month or two they will be out of business permanently.

I'm praying and believing for a swift end to this viral apocalypse. :(

-MERACE

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Rodster wrote: What was different in 1968 vs today, is that schools were still open, Sports leagues were still operating, restaurants were open for business and people were civil even in NYC. There wasn't any panic buying and stockpiling like it was the end of the world. What we have is the potential of completely blowing up the economy and potentially entering another Depression.
That is not all that's different, and I would get educated in a hurry about why if I were you.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

My last comment on this subject. Live in fear people because that's what the Gov'ts want. To paraphrase:

Never let a serious crisis go to waste. -Rahm Emanuel

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Saving lives comes first. Economy will bounce back.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

And we are just getting started, the real ugliness is still on the horizon.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:My last comment on this subject. Live in fear people because that's what the Gov'ts want. To paraphrase:

Never let a serious crisis go to waste. -Rahm Emanuel
Actually, Rod, I think the government wants people to live, period.

You live in perhaps the most clueless state in the nation regarding this epidemic, so I imagine that's coloring your response. Up here in the real world of New York, we're taking this virus very seriously as more than an economic apocalypse, at least for the short term, because it's killing more than one of our state's citizens every hour, and it's just getting started.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

If the Chinese government was more transparent when this virus originated, the world would be in a better spot now. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and this virus is four times more contagious than the flu and we are still learning what it does. In China, they reported it didn't affect young people. That isn't the case in Europe and the US. If that wasn't reported, perhaps all spring breaks would have been canceled. Instead, tens of thousands of collegians partied and didn't take this serious, so now we are probably looking at two more months minimum of getting this under control.

The economic impacts will be severe for sure, but communities will rally around those businesses that mean something to them. It will be a tough 12-24 months for sure for many people, but we will get through this "war". Stay strong, heed the warnings, and we will be stronger in the long term.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AcemanPR wrote:If the Chinese government was more transparent when this virus originated, the world would be in a better spot now. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and this virus is four times more contagious than the flu and we are still learning what it does. In China, they reported it didn't affect young people. That isn't the case in Europe and the US. If that wasn't reported, perhaps all spring breaks would have been canceled. Instead, tens of thousands of collegians partied and didn't take this serious, so now we are probably looking at two more months minimum of getting this under control.
Ron DeSantis' stupidity with keeping beaches open in Florida last week had nothing to do with China. Other states already were urging social distancing and locking down last weekend and week while DeSantis was all but ensuring the spread of the virus in the Sunshine State, risking its VERY vulnerable, large elderly population, by keeping life open as usual in Florida.

DeSantis didn't take it seriously, for two reasons. One, tourism is the economic lifeblood of his state. Two, he's a Republican and inhaled the lies of Trump and FOX News nighttime hosts hook, line and sinker -- at great peril to his state's residents.

There's no doubt China's repressive government restricted information about the virus' spread to its citizens and the rest of the world. But this virus exploded in China TWO MONTHS AGO. Idiots like Ron DeSantis had PLENTY of time to recognize we live in an interconnected world more than ever and that the virus was coming to our shores, but he chose to blissfully ignore all of the red lights that were flashing in his OWN COUNTRY and also in nations around the world.

Now Florida has the potential to become the Northern Italy of the U.S. because of DeSantis' recklessness and sheer stupidity. Even the conservative bible known as the National Review agrees:

https://www.nationalreview.com/videos/w ... erm=fourth

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Thankfully, after working on my parents for weeks, they both have left their 'snowbird' vacations in FL by now. My dad is very concerned, my mom is more casual but either way I'm glad they're out. As in PK's link, FL is a recipe for disaster with careless youth spreading the virus to a very old population.

You simply can't compare total counts for something brand new with something that's been around for a long time---it's not apples to apples, and it's an egregious misinterpretation of 'the numbers.' We're just at the tip of this iceberg. The reality is pretty much all of the Western democracies are on the Italian trajectory:

The only real comparison we have for this is the Spanish Flu, which infected 25% of the world and killed between 17 and 50 million. Many projections have this infecting 40-70% of the world, eventually. If we're optimistic and say 40% and a fatality rate of 1%----that's 31 million people. And that's assuming the healthcare system never collapses and maintains a certain standard of care for hospitals overrun with COVID patients AND all the normal people that fill up hospitals with cancer, stroke, physical trauma, etc... (the fatality rate in Italy is about 8% right now)

Fingers crossed that you all are safe at home, that social measures slow the spread, and we find effective treatments RIGHT NOW. (Internet anecdotes about cheap and readily available chloroquine based treatments would be a true godsend----IF true!)
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It’s interesting to see how now different Asian countries are blocking all western travels into their space while the western world is just finding out the brutal conditions when the virus originated in Wuhan. China says that they have lowered the curve considerably that’s is if you believe in their regime.

Now in Hong Kong for example their fear is that their latest cases were imported from the western world just when they thought they had controlled the borders with the Mainlanders.

At the hotel where I was staying they only allowed me to order room service and not allowed out unless I had full rain gear protection (which I didn’t). If you go to Asia from Europe and North America these days you’re a persona non grata.

S. Korea has taken positive steps too, people need to tested these days, so many unsuspecting carriers. No excuses have gyms, tents whatever it takes to test people and wear masks. Not because you want to fend yourself away from your neighbor but because you maybe the carrier yourself.

Social distancing is a must folks, respect it whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, if humanoids don’t respect this simple rule, it’s going to get a lot worse before we can talk about flattening the curve.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The problem is not just in Florida. Our beaches and farmers markets are still going strong even though the whole state is supposed to be on lockdown. The governor got on an interview and basically blasted all the idiots that are still out and about doing normal every day things.

There are a few cases in my area north of Los Angeles but the hospitals don’t seem to be too worried about this area because a vast majority are heeding the warnings and being careful. We will see if that helps I guess. Got a nurse and a firefighter across the street that we have porch beers with (yes, at least ten feet apart) and they are right smack in the middle of everything. They will likely get it given their profession so hopefully it’s limited to that.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The problem is not just in Florida. Our beaches and farmers markets are still going strong even though the whole state is supposed to be on lockdown. The governor got on an interview and basically blasted all the idiots that are still out and about doing normal every day things.

There are a few cases in my area north of Los Angeles but the hospitals don’t seem to be too worried about this area because a vast majority are heeding the warnings and being careful. We will see if that helps I guess. Got a nurse and a firefighter across the street that we have porch beers with (yes, at least ten feet apart) and they are right smack in the middle of everything. They will likely get it given their profession so hopefully it’s limited to that.
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but my county in upstate New York (Onondaga County) is five hours from NYC and only 80 minutes from Ontario. We're far from ground zero of the outbreak. Yet we got our first confirmed case last Tuesday. Six days later, we're up to 45, and our county's population is only 467,000.

It's not a matter of "if" coronavirus visits your community, unless you live somewhere REALLY remote. It's a matter of "when" and "how bad."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Oh, here's a MASSIVE shocker:

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/20 ... break.html

F*cking idiots.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:The problem is not just in Florida. Our beaches and farmers markets are still going strong even though the whole state is supposed to be on lockdown. The governor got on an interview and basically blasted all the idiots that are still out and about doing normal every day things.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but my county in upstate New York (Onondaga County) is five hours from NYC and only 80 minutes from Ontario. We're far from ground zero of the outbreak. Yet we got our first confirmed case last Tuesday. Six days later, we're up to 45, and our county's population is only 467,000.

It's not a matter of "if" coronavirus visits your community, unless you live somewhere REALLY remote. It's a matter of "when" and "how bad."
Oh there's no doubt about it. I definitely wasn't saying we WON'T get it here, we already have around 40ish cases. We have about 7 hospitals in this area supporting less than 900k in our county. So hopefully it's flattened enough around here so that the hospital capacity is sufficient.

Fingers crossed.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

My wife has been working from home since last week. I finally had to leave my job because St. Louis is filled with too many folks that think like Rodster. Missouri still does not have a shelter in place order, even though Kansas and Illinois do.

I’ve had severe and persistent asthma my entire life, and it was not controlled until well into my teens. I have had hundreds of serious asthma attacks, maybe thousands. My lungs have so much scar tissue that I am now getting by with less than 30% lung capacity. I get my flu shots every year, and the pneumonia vaccine. But I’m afraid I’m exactly the kind of patient that will die alone with a tube stick down my throat.

My store offered to let me just deliver(auto parts) which could work, but with the cases rising so fast, and an apex predicted by April 23, I’m just gonna hideout for a while. The next three weeks will see the largest rates of infection, even though they won’t appear as new cases for two weeks.
Last edited by Aristo on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:My wife has been working from home since last week. I finally had to leave my job because St. Louis is filled with too many folks that think like Rodster. Missouri still does not have a shelter in place order, even though Kansas and Illinois do.

I’ve had severe and persistent asthma my entire life, and it was not controlled until well into my teens. I have hundreds of serious asthma attacks, maybe thousands. My lungs has so much scar tissue from them that I am now getting by with less than 30% lung capacity. I get my flu shots every year, and the pneumonia vaccine. But I’m afraid I’m exactly the kind of patient that will die alone with a tube stick down my throat.

My store offered to let me just deliver(auto parts) which could work, but with the cases rising so fast, and an apex predicted by April 23, I’m just gonna hide out for awhile. The next three weeks will see the largest rates of infection, even though they won’t appear as new cases for two weeks.
I'm with ya...asthma my whole life, and only as an adult did it calm down a bit. I get it when I get a chest cold, so I'm steering clear of as much as possible. My son has the same issue, so we both would be in trouble if we got this crap. Good luck to you and I we all wish you well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Stay safe, Aristo and DB. It's a matter of when, not if, COVID-19 strikes your community.

228 cases here in Syracuse (Onondaga County, population 450,000) and climbing about 10 percent per day, but at least the number of people in critical condition held steady today at seven. It's the first day in a while with no increase to the critical list, so that's a hopeful sign.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

All going terrifically well over here. The Prime Minister is adamant that we're on the brink of actually starting to test people properly, a brink we've been on now for about a fortnight. Apparently there's a shortage of the relevant chemicals. The firms responsible for making those chemicals say that a) there isn't and b) they could make more if anyone asked them to, which they haven't. Glad we've cleared that up.

Netflix recommendations on a sporting tip - try F1: Drive To Survive and Sunderland 'Til I Die. Neither require a deep knowledge of their respective sports and both are compelling.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Head to Spotify or the streaming service of your choice. Hoist your favorite beverage and throw on some Fountains of Wayne.

So gutted to hear that co-founder Adam Schlesinger has succumbed to the virus. He and Chris Collingwood were the first band since (and maybe the best band with the exception of) The Kinks to wed unbelievably hooky melodies with trenchant, subversive and flat-out funny songwriting. They were really out of fashion even when they were at their peak, but their catalog really is great, and deep.

This one hits me hard.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:Netflix recommendations on a sporting tip - try F1: Drive To Survive and Sunderland 'Til I Die. Neither require a deep knowledge of their respective sports and both are compelling.
Already watched and LOVED both seasons of Drive To Survive. As a Newcastle supporter, I can't watch the second series unless it was called Sunderland, Die.

:)