Racing Season 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Naples39 »

I actually randomly stumbled on the Indycar iRacing race today on youtube, and ended up watching the whole thing! Pretty fun stuff in the absence of real sports.

Also makes me laugh seeing pros with fancy sim setups wrecking on the green flag (probably due to lagging/glitching) and everyone spinning going into the pits! LOL
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:I actually randomly stumbled on the Indycar iRacing race today on youtube, and ended up watching the whole thing! Pretty fun stuff in the absence of real sports.

Also makes me laugh seeing pros with fancy sim setups wrecking on the green flag (probably due to lagging/glitching) and everyone spinning going into the pits! LOL
Might have been due to glitching. But it also may have been due to wheelspin due to staying in too low of a gear upon acceleration. iRacing is that detailed.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Sir Stirling Moss | 1929 - 2020

Legend! What a life and survivor of one of the most dangerous era's in motorsport. RIP

Stirling Moss interview BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_3Im5KRlE

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YIL5y.html
One of the true greats of Formula 1, Sir Stirling Moss, has died at the age of 90.

Often referred to as the greatest driver never to win the world championship, Moss contested 66 Grands Prix from 1951 to 1961, driving for the likes of Vanwall, Maserati and Mercedes, where he famously formed a contented and ruthlessly effective partnership with lead driver Juan Manuel Fangio.

In that 10-year career, Moss took 16 wins, some of which rank among the truly iconic drives in the sport's history – his 1961 victories in Monaco and Germany in particular often held up as all-time classics.

Moss was also a highly regarded sports car driver, famously winning the 1955 Mille Miglia on public roads for Mercedes at an average speed of close to 100mph, while he also competed in rallies and land-speed attempts.

Following an enforced retirement from racing (bar a brief comeback in saloon cars in the 1980s) after a major crash at Goodwood in 1962, Moss maintained a presence in Formula 1 as both a sports correspondent and an interested observer, before retiring from public life in January of 2018.

All at F1 send our heartfelt condolences to Lady Susie and Sir Stirling's family and friends.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... wqcHJ.html
The passing of Sir Stirling Moss at the age of 90 has produced a flurry of tributes from the racing world, as people honoured one of the all-time greats of Formula 1.

Leading the tributes was F1 motorsport boss Ross Brawn.

"I got to know Stirling after his Motorsport career was finishing and mine was starting," said Brawn. "I was proud that I was able to count him as a friend. He exceeded the term legend. His abilities in any sort of racing car were truly exceptional.

"What I admired the most were the qualities of Stirling as a true gentleman. His behaviour towards his fellow racing drivers, and people in racing generally, were an example to us all. He fought as hard as anyone to succeed and win, but he never crossed the boundaries and he always competed in a proper way. He set the standard all competitors should aspire to.

"He was always fun to be with and enjoyed life, with Susie, to the maximum. He drove me around Goodwood several times in a Ferrari SWB in which he won the 1960 TT. Memories that will never leave me. Stirling Moss - a truly special person."

Former F1 racer turned commentator Martin Brundle, who partnered Moss during his brief return to saloon car racing in the 1980s with Audi, tweeted that Moss was a “remarkable man”.
Sir Stirling Moss and this Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Remain Unbeaten - Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsdw-pof1o
Few triumphs have inspired drivers like Sir Stirling Moss’ victory at the 1955 Mille Miglia. Then just 25 years old, driver Moss and co-driver Denis Jenkinson roared through 992 miles of Italian countryside in just 10 hours, 7 minutes and 48 seconds. Average speed? 98.53 miles per hour.

Here, Moss tells the story of his victory in his own words.

“Once the flag fell, I went flat out,” said Moss. “Obviously, when I’d see a car I caught up with, I really felt great about it, but I had no idea of the enormity of what it meant to myself because it’s really—it’s quite the thing to have on your CV.”
Finishing ahead of the then-two times Grand Prix World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio, Moss’ achievement has long since been labeled “The greatest race”—a title that probably won’t be applied to any other motorsport event ever again. The 1955 Mille Miglia had it all: incredible drivers, now-iconic machines like the Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR #722, and a harrowing course that was dangerous beyond belief.

How dangerous? Moss said he had to wiggle the car from left to right on the road so that spectators would take a few steps back as he flew through the often small Italian towns along the route.

“Oh, I’m certain it’s my greatest win,” said Moss. “I can’t think of any other car in the world that would have given me the opportunity to achieve the speeds we did.”

Called SLR for Sport Leicht-Rennen (“Sport Light-Racing” in English) the 300 SLR was the world’s most advanced race car of its time: direct fuel-injected straight-8 engine, roughly 310 horsepower, and a top speed of around 180 mph (290 km/h).

“The 722 is a really strong car…” said Moss. “The fact the car’s really old doesn’t matter—that car, the way it is now, I reckon we’d beat any other cars, anyway!”

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It's difficult to know where to begin. Think of Moss the young upstart in little Kiefts and Coopers, or of Moss the underdog in his private Maserati 250F making the works entries look silly. The first non-American to win Sebring, second to none on public roads - Tourist Trophies, the Targa Florio, that Mille Miglia - and in 1961, the man behind two of the greatest drives in Grand Prix history at Monte Carlo and the Nurburgring, sheer talent and force of will overcoming the might of Ferrari.

To me, he was the greatest all-round racing driver ever. I struggle to imagine how he could be beaten. I like to imagine that, as Jenks warms up 722 and surveys his notes on the open road ahead, the celestial sanctioning bodies are about to discover the same. Rest in peace, Sir Stirling.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I actually randomly stumbled on the Indycar iRacing race today on youtube, and ended up watching the whole thing! Pretty fun stuff in the absence of real sports.

Might have been due to glitching. But it also may have been due to wheelspin due to staying in too low of a gear upon acceleration. iRacing is that detailed.
It looked to me like someone's car in row 2 momentarily flashed in and out of existence, then guy behind him in row 3 checked up because he wasn't sure what was happening, then the guy in row 4 rear-ended guy in row 3.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Did Kyle Larson end his career last night on the otherwise-great Monza Madness? Yikes.

The Indycar race at Michigan was a lot of fun, I hope they choose to do some additional ovals.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Did Kyle Larson end his career last night on the otherwise-great Monza Madness? Yikes.

The Indycar race at Michigan was a lot of fun, I hope they choose to do some additional ovals.
Yeah ... it will be tough for Larson to walk this one back. And I don't see how McDonald's, Credit One or Chevy stay with him.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

EffDee
Mario Mendoza

Post by EffDee »

Did anyone catch the Twitch stream of Charles Leclerc and George Russell attempting to co-ordinate on Euro Truck Simulator 2?

Best 74 minutes of the lockdown?

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

It may or may not be a coincidence, but every Ferrari-powered team in Austria has qualified slower this year than last. Haas by six tenths, the works team by nine tenths and Alfa by a full second.

Really, to earn more money than the other teams because you happen to have been in existence longer, have a veto over the rule book and still qualify no better than 7th and 11th is, in its own way, quite impressive.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

As Bernie Eccelstone has said repeatedly, Ferrari is too Italian and will never bring home another Championship until they bring in more key players from other countries.

Ferrari was right in sacking Vettel and Leclerc is the real deal.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I started watching the Netflix documentary on F1 so I watched the race on Sunday...so much more entertaining when you know the background of the guys. Even though it wasn’t a great race for the win, it was a great two hour watch now for me! They got a fan in me now
Last edited by Zlax45 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Zlax45 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:39 am
I started watching the Netflix documentary on F1 so I watched the race on Sunday...so much more entertaining when you know the background of the guys. Even though it wasn’t a great race for the win, it was a great two hour watch now for me!thry got a fan in me now
I heard the same thing from my sister this weekend.

Heck of a finish to the race. I agree with Albon that Hamilton took away his chance at the win, would have been fascinating to see him try to hunt down Bottas. I also agree with Hamilton's penalty, which set up such a fun last lap for Lando, great to see the kid on the podium.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

It was also a fun weekend at the Brickyard.

Is Scott Dixon ever going to slow down? Did Sunday's surprisingly decent NASCAR race keep the big series on the oval for at least one more year? The Xfinity finish was a barn-burner, so my preference would be to see everyone use the road course on the same weekend next year though.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Watched race 2 from Red Bull ring...the amount of off track drama with F1 is insane!

We all know PK will come in and share his thoughts on it.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Ferrari celebrating 70 years of F1 by recreating their mid-90s form is an interesting choice.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 am
Ferrari celebrating 70 years of F1 by recreating their mid-90s form is an interesting choice.
Big difference is that the Scuderia were putting the pieces in place for a renaissance, with the arrival of Todt, Brawn, Byrne and Schumacher. Sorry, but Binotto and LeClerc can't be mentioned in the same sentence as that dream team.

Let's face facts: Ferrari was cheating its ass off by circumventing fuel flow rules last year. Now that advantage is gone, the emperor has no clothes, and what's left is barely a midfield engine.

Look at Haas -- slow. Look at Alfa -- slow. Look at Ferrari -- slow. The common thread? All three teams use Ferrari engines.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Nothing like 4 dozen GT3 cars in close racing at Imola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEav0N49uQM

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Sergio Perez tests positive for Corona

https://t.co/9I70PzsbCl

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Positive or inconclusive? Definitely positive now?

Update: Yep, positive. Who is Racing Point's reserve driver?

This positive test, the Marlins' positive tests in baseball and others prove the only way sports can be done safely during this pandemic is in a bubble like the NBA, MLS and NHL. The NFL, college football and MLB are dreaming if they think they'll finish their respective seasons with no trouble.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

PK, Racing Point don't have their own reserve driver but have an agreement to use a Mercedes reserve if needed. Stoffel Vandoorne is in Berlin on Formula E duty, so that leaves - be still, beating heart - Esteban Gutierrez.

Rumour is that they're actually trying to get Nico Hulkenberg in the car. We shall see.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:35 pm
PK, Racing Point don't have their own reserve driver but have an agreement to use a Mercedes reserve if needed. Stoffel Vandoorne is in Berlin on Formula E duty, so that leaves - be still, beating heart - Esteban Gutierrez.

Rumour is that they're actually trying to get Nico Hulkenberg in the car. We shall see.
Wouldn't that be nuts if The Hulk finally got his first career F1 podium as a substitute driver in a Racing Point? Would love to see it!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:44 pm
Positive or inconclusive? Definitely positive now?

Update: Yep, positive. Who is Racing Point's reserve driver?

This positive test, the Marlins' positive tests in baseball and others prove the only way sports can be done safely during this pandemic is in a bubble like the NBA, MLS and NHL. The NFL, college football and MLB are dreaming if they think they'll finish their respective seasons with no trouble.
I disagree with this assessment. Here in Germany, the Bundesliga completed without incident (as far as I am aware) the final 9 games of the first two divisions, the promotion playoff and the Cup final, playing in the teams’ own (empty) stadiums. They started games again in the middle of May (think about how long ago that was), and the Cup final was played on July 4th.

Unless you want to count the entire country of Germany as a bubble (I’m sure there are plenty who would), then I think this disproves you’re point, not to mention the leagues in England, Italy and Spain also able to complete their games.

The issue isn’t “in a pandemic.” More “in the USA in the midst of a pandemic in the early 21st century.”

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zep:

You are correct. I should have been more specific -- the only way for sports to exist IN AMERICA is in a bubble.

The rest of the world -- well, except for Brazil, Sweden and Russia -- has competent leaders who know how to handle a crisis. The U.S. doesn't, so we're left with a bubble as the only alternative.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

McLaren must have one helluva chassis with the Renault PU to bag 5th for tomorrows race. Leclerc willed that POS Ferrari to 4th.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:15 am
McLaren must have one helluva chassis with the Renault PU to bag 5th for tomorrows race. Leclerc willed that POS Ferrari to 4th.
The driver lineup doesn't hurt, either. Norris is a star, and Sainz is a steady, fast pair of hands.