Racing Season 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Season 2020 (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:Look me up if you go to either race at Indy, Dave! I'm PM you my digits.
Will do! Btw, seeing her name in the articles today about the new Indycar marketing campaign reminded me that I’m pretty sure I worked very briefly with SJ when I interned at the Indianapolis Ice many, many years ago. What a small world.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Haas might leave F1 if they aren’t good at racing

I’m ready for Gene Haas to take his ball and go home. What did he expect, a worldwide IndyCar? The team going out of its way to talk down American drivers really put me off and I’ve found them to be pretty whiny and insufferable over the past few years. Enjoy another Grosjean season!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Haas might leave F1 if they aren’t good at racing

I’m ready for Gene Haas to take his ball and go home. What did he expect, a worldwide IndyCar? The team going out of its way to talk down American drivers really put me off and I’ve found them to be pretty whiny and insufferable over the past few years. Enjoy another Grosjean season!
Gene Haas can buy anything he wants, so he likes trophies, things that are earned and not bought. He's used to winning trophies from NASCAR. He's not getting them in F1, so he's considering leaving.

Plus there's another reason behind his threat. Besides the desire for trophies, Gene got into F1 to globally promote his machine business. He has learned over the past few years that he can write a check for $100 million as a primary sponsor for an F1 team and get just as much global exposure and business boost as the much greater expense of owning a team and paying all of its employees.

I will miss Haas if it disappears. It's still the only team with an American base, and it's a colorful, plucky outfit. Come on: How can you dislike Guenther "F*cking" Steiner and Kevin "Suck My Balls" Magnussen? :) I also have a pal who is the graphic designer for Haas -- has designed all of its liveries. Would hate to see him lose his job.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Incredibly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I’m really bummed about the situation in St Pete. At least the weather here in Florida is great, so more time at the pool and beach.

The FIA has really stepped on its own dick this week in Australia.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:The FIA has really stepped on its own dick this week in Australia.
What makes that any different than the other 51 weeks of the year? The FIA could be a eunuch and still find a way to trample its penis.

Sorry about St. Pete, Dave. That's a bummer.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The ongoing Melbourne saga is more entertaining than the race would have been. Or will be. Whichever.

I like that NASCAR and IndyCar have taken decisions. I have no idea if they're the right decisions, but they're well thought out and there's clear leadership on show. I don't even know whose decision an F1 cancellation is, and by the look of if, neither do the folk responsible.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Tell you what: having fans at the gates, being held outside the circuit due to "programming and scheduling concerns" while you argue over which party stands to lose the least from announcing a cancellation...not a good look.

Better still, Seb and Kimi are apparently already on their flight home. You would imagine that at least one of the gathering spectators has a social media account, a data connection and the gift of sight, wouldn't you?

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

GB_Simo wrote:Tell you what: having fans at the gates, being held outside the circuit due to "programming and scheduling concerns" while you argue over which party stands to lose the least from announcing a cancellation...not a good look.
I couldn't believe it when descriptions of this scene started popping up, talk about a complete dereliction of duty by everyone in charge.

Like you said, we have no idea if IndyCar/NASCAR or IMSA made the "best" decision in the face of uncertainty but at least all made a decision before the gates were scheduled to open during an ever-changing news cycle.

I'm selfishly glad IndyCar and NASCAR are choosing to race in front of empty seats, but fear it is only a matter of time before someone tests positive and it all gets shut down indefinitely.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:I'm selfishly glad IndyCar and NASCAR are choosing to race in front of empty seats, but fear it is only a matter of time before someone tests positive and it all gets shut down indefinitely.
It's only Thursday night. With the PGA TOUR now shutting down the Players after one round and its next three tournaments, NASCAR and IndyCar are about the only pro or college sports competing this weekend in America. Those optics may not be great, even if racing doesn't have locker rooms, close physical contact during competition, etc.

I'm not speaking from ANY inside knowledge whatsoever. But this situation has been so fluid over the last 48 hours that it's not improbable that no engines will fire in an Indy car or Cup car this weekend.

Stay tuned.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Completely agree that nothing is final until the green flag drops.

We were talking about it prior to the St. Pete announcement and I said that a best-case scenario for the season could be opening with the Indy 500 but who knows. I don't see the Austin race happening, maybe they can run with no spectators at Barber?

Eagerly awaiting the refund policy for my St. Pete tickets to see if I can buy a new wheel for iRacing, but figure it'll end up being some BS "future credit" system like NASCAR seems to be doing.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Hope something sensible and suitable can be done, mate. I'm intrigued by the future credit option: it works OK for folk on a small rock in the middle of the North Sea, but exactly how viable is it for folk currently in St. Pete who've travelled across a bloody huge land mass to see a race?

I've still got no idea what 'right' looks like in terms of delay, season resumption or what. Quite how you could ever know is the question, so it's a case of doing something that feels right. I suspect NASCAR are going to find they're not yet done postponing events, though.

F1 and the FIA have even managed to cock up their statement about Bahrain and Vietnam, which says that the season will resume either on May 1st or at the end of May depending on which organisation's statement you read.

Oh! While I'm here...

https://www.motogp.com/en/video_gallery ... ime/328235

Delivers what it promises. Free access and I believe they're all full races, available while there's no live event to watch.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Bullshit refund plan confirmed.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Max Verstappen for the win!

In the preliminary e-sports race, at least.

Actually pretty cool - a pretty good number of professionals took part this morning.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Herta’s kid vs Montoya’s kid, I’m getting old man!

I look forward to watching some of these races, the Dinner With Racers crew is doing a big Sebring event next weekend that should be fun

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

INDYCAR IRACING CHALLENGE TO FEATURE SEVERAL SERIES STARS

This is pretty freakin' cool!

https://www.indycar.com/News/2020/03/03 ... -Challenge

https://www.indycar.com/2020/indycar-challenge
INDYCAR is going racing again, virtually that is.

INDYCAR and iRacing, the world’s premier motorsports racing simulation, are partnering to currently stage six virtual race events featuring a stellar lineup of current NTT INDYCAR SERIES drivers and possibly some special guests beginning Saturday, March 28.

Each race will be streamed live on indycar.com for the enjoyment of racing fans while the current 2020 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season is suspended through April as a result of the coronavirus situation. While indycar.com will serve as the primary live streaming source, there also will be secondary platforms to watch the virtual race events each week – INDYCAR’s YouTube and Facebook Live as well as iRacing’s Twitch.

Each virtual race event, which will last approximately 90 minutes to two hours, will begin at 4 p.m. ET each Saturday through May 2.

To enhance the fan experience, INDYCAR will conduct a 15-minute, pre-race virtual autograph session with several of the participants beginning at 3:15 p.m. each week. There also will be a live interview with the race winner by post-race host Katie Hargitt on INDYCAR’s Instagram immediately following the conclusion of the race.

The inaugural INDYCAR iRacing Challenge race venue will be selected through bracket voting by fans today through Thursday. Fans can vote daily on the track match-up in the bracket to determine which venue will advance to the next round. The voting, which has a 12-hour window beginning 10 a.m. daily after today, is available through the @INDYCAR Instagram or Twitter handle and online at indycar.com/iracing.

The opening virtual race event will be followed by Barber Motorsports Park (April 4), “Driver’s Choice” track (April 11), “Random Draw” track (April 18), Circuit of The Americas (April 25) and a non-INDYCAR “Dream” track (May 2).

The INDYCAR iRacing Challenge events will feature qualifications in addition to the races. Teams will be able to design car liveries to match their desired paint schemes. To further give the action an authentic look and feel, each car will be equipped with INDYCAR’s new Aeroscreen, a revolutionary cockpit-protecting device introduced for the 2020 season.

The INDYCAR iRacing Challenge will not crown an overall champion but will add a special element where INDYCAR will make a donation to one of its partner charities.

An entry list of the drivers participating, along with the bracket-winning race venue for the opener, will be announced next week.
FOX SPORTS TO DELIVER SUNDAY’S INAUGURAL eNASCAR iRACING PRO INVITATIONAL SERIES EVENT ON FS1

https://www.iracing.com/fox-sports-to-d ... nt-on-fs1/
FOX NASCAR Broadcast Team of Jeff Gordon, Mike Joy and Larry McReynolds on the Call for Star-Studded FOX NASCAR iRACING

Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski and Chase Elliott Among NASCAR Stars Participating

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – FOX Sports, teaming with NASCAR and iRacing, delivers the first-ever eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series event Sunday, March 22, at 1:30 PM ET on FS1 and the FOX Sports app. Titled FOX NASCAR iRACING, the 90-minute, simulation-style program includes a cross-section of competitors from the NASCAR CUP SERIES, NASCAR XFINITY SERIES, NASCAR GANDER RV & OUTDOORS TRUCK SERIES and a group of NASCAR dignitaries.

FOX NASCAR broadcasters Jeff Gordon, Mike Joy and Larry McReynolds call the action from the iRacing virtual Homestead-Miami Speedway.

“This is a unique opportunity to offer competitive and entertaining racing to our viewers as we all work through these challenging times together,” said Brad Zager, FOX Sports Executive Producer, EVP/Head of Production & Operations. “We are following CDC guidelines to maintain a safe work environment, as the well-being of all those involved is paramount. We value our relationships across the NASCAR community and appreciate all of the effort that it took in bringing this project to life.”

NASCAR icon Dale Earnhardt Jr. headlines a high-powered lineup, including two-time and defending NASCAR CUP SERIES champion Kyle Busch, 2012 NASCAR CUP SERIES champion Brad Keselowski, 2018 NASCAR CUP Series champion Joey Logano, three-time Daytona 500 winner Denny Hamlin, 2016 NASCAR CUP SERIES Rookie of the Year Chase Elliott, 2008 NASCAR XFINITY SERIES champion Clint Bowyer, 2014 NASCAR CUP SERIES Rookie of the Year Kyle Larson and 2017 NASCAR GANDER RV & OUTDOORS TRUCK SERIES champion Christopher Bell.

Bowyer, who expanded his role with FOX Sports earlier this year, serves as the in-car analyst, competing in an iRacing simulator in the FOX NASCAR Charlotte studio.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I no longer know which one is the Racing thread and which one is the Racing Sim thread. These are curious times.

Lots of entertaining racing this weekend. The Race ran F4 cars at Indy road course with some great battles throughout the event. What I like about their format is that even if a sim racer wins overall, there's plenty of opportunity to see the real-world drivers against each other through the heats and the repechage. What I liked even more was Tony Kanaan only getting a rig two days before and messing up his login to such an extent that he appeared as a blank space on the timing tower.

The production values on show for the IMSA iRacing event at Sebring were sensational. I managed to fall asleep before the race ended but the first 30 minutes were good fun with a stacked grid full of talent. Lovely to see Radio Le Mans on board too.

I'm trying to stay spoiler-free in case anyone wants to catch up through the week, but I'll tell you this about the F1 eSports event. If you watch the broadcast, you might notice that Anthony Davidson qualifies but does not race. The presenters didn't spot it, so here's what happened.

A technical issue during quali prevented a couple of star turns from entering the session, necessitating a very delayed race start while Codemasters got everything sorted. As part of this, there was a server restart and the race distance was reduced. None of this was an especially good look, though I'd argue that if you were aiming to look like a professional outfit, you wouldn't invite a member of One Direction to drive for Williams. Never mind.

Somehow, and I'm not sure how, the message did not reach Little Ant. He ran the original schedule and finished 4th in a field of bots, behind Sir Chris Hoy and Ian Poulter's AI replacements, in front of an audience of none.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Oh, and the Azerbaijan Grand Prix is off, so the season starts in Canada. Except it won't, will it, so the season will start in France.

Except it won't, so...Austria. No, that won't work. Britain, then. Ah...

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

The iRacing Indycar race yesterday was pretty cool, and I very much enjoyed the Nascar race last weekend. Really looking forward to today's race at Texas.

Nascar Cup - O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 at Texas Motor Speedway (1PM ET, FOX/FS1/FOX Sports app)

https://www.iracing.com/race-preview-en ... parts-125/
After the unqualified success of last week’s eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series action from Homestead-Miami Speedway, it seems like everybody wants to get behind the wheel.

The entry list for today’s O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 at Texas Motor Speedway (1PM ET, FOX/FS1/FOX Sports app) is up to well over 60 drivers from the NASCAR Cup Series, NASCAR Xfinity Series, and NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series. It features the return of some big names from the past, like 19-time Cup winner Greg Biffle and former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, and the series debuts of current Cup drivers Ryan Blaney, Tyler Reddick, and Daniel Suarez, among others.

But the explosion of entries from the lower levels means that today’s 30-lap transfer race (11AM ET, enascar.com/live), which will fill the handful of remaining spots on the 35-car grid, will be completely stacked. Xfinity Series drivers like Chase Briscoe, Justin Allgaier, and Austin Cindric, who raced their way into the big show at Homestead last week, will be renewing their battles virtually with cousins Harrison and Jeb Burton, Joe Graf Jr., and Kaz Grala, among others. Same goes for Truck Series standouts Ty Majeski and Ryan Truex, who are joined on the grid by a list that includes Tyler Ankrum, Derek Kraus, Sheldon Creed, and Spencer Boyd.

The handful of drivers who do move on to the big show will be dealing with plenty of heavy hitters. Denny Hamlin used fresher tires to catch Dale Earnhardt Jr. for the victory last Sunday, and both are expected to run up front once again. The same goes for Garrett Smithley, last week’s polesitter, and Timmy Hill, who led late into the race at Homestead before Earnhardt Jr. caught up. And with a full week of practice under their belts, expect NASCAR Cup Series champions Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, and Kurt Busch to make up for disappointing results last week.
INDYCAR iRacing Challenge: American Red Cross Grand Prix at Watkins Glen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA00Yj-7ftw

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I watched the eNASCAR race at Texas today and thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a fantastic finish, although not quite up to that of last week, but the quality of driving was better, overall. I'm glad they were more reluctant to wave the yellow this week, even though some of the drivers could have benefited from one with about 35 laps remaining. What's the prevailing opinion on Hill's nudge of William Byron to move him up the track enough to move under and pass him? If he had spun Byron or sent him into the wall, I'd have had a real problem with it. Byron did a wonderful job of holding the car on the track, but I'd imagine he felt a bit 'violated' there? :wink:

After seeing Timmy Hill and Garrett Smithley's racing rigs, I couldn't believe that I have something considerably nicer than what they were using, but their skills at iracing were on display today!

I'm so impressed with the way FOX Sports covers this with the respect they would give to a real race! I can tell that Mike Joy educated himself a bit more about iracing from last week and he spoke competently about the game and how it works. Clint Boyer is a hoot to have on board as the in studio racer. I can't imagine what he'd be like uncensored! 8)

I'll be watching today's INDYCAR race later today. I watched the first two laps just to get a feel for it and was impressed with the quality of driving I saw from the top 4... can't wait to get back into it!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

J_Cauthen wrote:After seeing Timmy Hill and Garrett Smithley's racing rigs, I couldn't believe that I have something considerably nicer than what they were using, but their skills at iracing were on display today!

I'm so impressed with the way FOX Sports covers this with the respect they would give to a real race! I can tell that Mike Joy educated himself a bit more about iracing from last week and he spoke competently about the game and how it works. Clint Boyer is a hoot to have on board as the in studio racer. I can't imagine what he'd be like uncensored! 8)
It always stinks to lose excuses for why guys like Hill & Smithley are so much faster! Fun to see the wide variety of set-ups for sure though, and great to see the drivers taking it seriously but not too much.

FOX's coverage has shocked me, they've done their homework and have done a great job presenting the details of iRacing and the races themselves.

It is a testament to the drivers and the sim that you can look at both races this week and say they played out pretty similarly to what could happen in real life.

I continue to have so much fun with iRacing, especially after finding a little more speed on the dirt ovals. I thought the Rookie level races would be a lot more of a destruction derby--I've either been really lucky or everyone is on their best behavior to make it to the D-class as quickly as possible.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I missed the Fox Nascar race this weekend but watched it last weekend and was very impressed.

I did watch yesterday's Indy IRace from Watkins Glen. The race and coverage was solid, not Fox level, but solid.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Indycars are back at Michigan right now on NBCSN (iRacing)

https://www.indycar.com/News/2020/04/04 ... -EntryList

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... rylist.pdf
In a series in which the only predictable trait has been unpredictability, the INDYCAR iRacing Challenge could get even wilder during Round 3 on Saturday, April 11.

That’s because the virtual racing series featuring stars of the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and some special guests is moving to an oval – the super-fast, wide, 2-mile Michigan International Speedway – after the first two rounds took place on natural road courses at Watkins Glen International and Barber Motorsports Park.

The Chevrolet 275 will feature exciting, tight action for all 85 laps after the green flag flies at 2:30 p.m. ET Saturday (live on NBCSN). INDYCAR events at the popular track in the Irish Hills of Michigan included wild racing with numerous photo finishes from 1968-2007, as the generous racing surface with multiple lines creates many passing opportunities.

Drivers in this six-round virtual series, which takes place every Saturday through May 2, use identical car setups provided by iRacing. That will place a premium on slipstreaming in packs for position and managing tire wear as fuel loads drop.

Statistics – both overall and recent – also point to a very competitive race Saturday. Three of the 10 INDYCAR races featuring the most lead changes in history have occurred at MIS. And the last time INDYCAR raced at the 2-mile oval, Tony Kanaan edged Marco Andretti by a scant .0595 of a second for victory Aug. 5, 2007.

2004 NTT INDYCAR SERIES champion and 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner Kanaan and Andretti could repeat that photo finish Saturday, as Andretti is joining the series for the first time this week in the No. 98 U.S. Concrete/Curb Honda fielded by Andretti Herta with Marco Andretti & Curb-Agajanian.

Andretti is one of three prominent drivers making their INDYCAR iRacing Challenge debuts Saturday, along with 2012 NTT INDYCAR SERIES champion and 2014 Indianapolis 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay and two-time Daytona 500 winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. Hunter-Reay is driving the No. 28 DHL Honda fielded by Andretti Autosport, while veteran iRacing competitor Earnhardt – now a motorsports analyst for NBC Sports – will be behind the virtual wheel of the No. 3 Nationwide JR Motorsports Chevrolet......

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

A wonderful display from the 1996 US500 Re-Enactment Society to get us going, and isn't it striking that so many of these fellas appear to not have practiced their pit entry?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GB_Simo wrote:A wonderful display from the 1996 US500 Re-Enactment Society to get us going, and isn't it striking that so many of these fellas appear to not have practiced their pit entry?
Yes. that was my first thought as well. I was very surprised that iRacing control just didn't allow for a complete restart on that one. Overall a very entertaining race though, very reminiscent of actual Indycar races at Michigan. Very cool to see Dale Jr up there, as well as sim racing noobs like Rossi and RHR. I love both these Indycar and Nascar virtual races for the fact that we get to see some different sides of these guys and it is fun, but still competitive. Loved Rahal's retro Bobby look!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:A wonderful display from the 1996 US500 Re-Enactment Society to get us going, and isn't it striking that so many of these fellas appear to not have practiced their pit entry?
Hinch even admitted after the race that there was very little pit in and out practice this week since guys were so preoccupied with drafting, fuel saving, tire management, etc.

Graham better keep the Bob-stache until the end of this series. It's EPIC.