2019 Game Awards

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

2019 Game Awards

Post by pk500 »

OK, DSP brothers, let's hear your Games of the Year in various categories. Every title must have been released to retail in 2019.

I'll create some categories here. Feel free to add your own, based on your gaming tastes, and add your commentary for each category, please!

BEST SPORTS GAME: FIFA 20
This is a pretty shallow pool, as sports arguably is the most stale genre in gaming. Roster updates and stupid franchise features abound. But this is the year in which I think EA finally clearly pulled ahead of Konami in digital football, one of the few remaining sports gaming areas with competition. PES eFootball 2020 moved into more of an arcadish, full-speed, all-counterattack direction, while FIFA 20 became more tactical, more organic and still has the deepest modes and the full license. If FIFA could add the great ball physics of PES, it would be closer to game over than ever.

BEST SHOOTER: Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Easy choice. Activision had an open lane with the failure of Ghost Recon Breakpoint and no new Battlefield game this year after the disappointment of Battlefield V. Still, Activision crushed the shooter genre with the best COD game since arguably the original Modern Warfare game that inspired this remake. A fine campaign game and magnificent multiplayer gaming. I didn't even expect to buy this game, thinking, "Oh, joy: another COD game." Instead, I have played COD MW online more than any other game this year, by far. Magnificent entertainment.

BEST RACING GAME: DIRT Rally 2.0
The original DIRT Rally was the Dark Souls of racing games. It was brutally realistic and unforgiving. Fun, but after a while it felt like trimming hangnails with a chainsaw, especially if you didn't have a racing wheel. Codemasters made the sequel, DIRT Rally 2.0, a bit more approachable for gamepad players like me while still keeping the challenge bar quite high. I didn't play F1 2019 other than the free trial, and I thought the driving model slipped backward compared to the excellent F1 2018. So in a year in which Microsoft didn't release a new Forza game, the race for console motorsports superiority came down to two Codemasters titles. DIRT Rally 2.0 had the most octane for me.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: The Outer Worlds
I easily could have picked Call of Duty Modern Warfare for this award, as I had no plans on buying it, and it ended up being my second-favorite game of the year. But The Outer Worlds must win this award for me because I am a fan of first-person shooters but am not an RPG guy one bit. But I'm enjoying the hell out of The Outer Worlds. Sure, it may be an RPG-lite, but that works perfectly for me. I love the characters, dialogue, combat, worlds, everything. I become more engrossed in the story the more I play it. A very pleasant surprise.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Ghost Recon has been one of the steadiest, best FPS franchises in gaming for 20 years. The last installment, Wildlands, was uneven, and its cliched depiction of Bolivian cartels annoyed the PC police (as if I give a sh*t). The new release, Breakpoint, was disappointing. I played it for about the first two weeks and haven't touched it since. Ubisoft admitted the game was flawed and is working on a major overhaul, like it did with The Division. Hopefully this fix is as effective.

BEST VALUE: Xbox GamePass
This is about as easy of a choice as Lamar Jackson as NFL MVP. When GamePass debuted, I was skeptical. It looked like a trash barrel for bargain basement titles. But GamePass found its stride in 2019 and easily is the best value in gaming. A ton of AAA titles to play in all genres, Microsoft titles available for free on Day One and a lot of cool arcade and backward-compatible titles, all for one cheap monthly price. It's an even better deal if you upgraded to Ultimate and ginned the system to get a bunch of free months, which I did after learning about that trick from you cats. If you have an Xbox and don't subscribe to GamePass, you're missing out -- big time.

GAME OF THE YEAR: The Division 2
After its massive post-release overhaul, The Division became my favorite game of all time. The shooting mechanics are great. The graphics are terrific. The world is deep and immersive. The challenges are endless. So my anticipation for the sequel, The Division 2, reached Pluto before release this spring. I was so jacked that I feared a massive letdown. Nope. Ubisoft delivered yet again, taking everything that was great about The Division and improving it and fixing everything that remained flawed even after the post-release overhaul. I could not play this game enough. Everything about the world, the characters, the ballistics, the graphics, the loot boxes, the missions -- EVERYF*CKINGTHING -- grabbed me like no other game ever. The Division 2 isn't just the game of the year for me: It's the game of my lifetime.

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2020: Isle of Man TT: Ride on the Edge 2
Yep, most of you probably haven't played the first game. But IOM TT is the most visceral, challenging, enjoyable racing game I've played in a LONG time, and hopefully the sequel is even better.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: 2019 Game Awards

Post by Rodster »

Just a few from me since gaming has been on a decline for me.

Best sports game: MLB The Show, no contest.

Biggest surprise: Untitled Goose Game. I downloaded it on Game Pass and it's a quirky funny/fun game.

Best Value: Game Pass: I plan on renewing when my subscription ends. It's already saved me a ton of money.

Most anticipated game of 2020: Animal Crossing = Nintendo magic.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Best sports game: MLB The Show, no contest..
Yep, and it is seriously not close IMO.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

The best game I played this year was from last year - God of War.

I did not play a lot of new games. The 2019 games I did get to that stand out are:

Gears V for campaign
COD MW for multiplayer
Outer Worlds
Metro Exodus

The 2020 game I am most looking forward to is Cyberpunk 2077. That is all.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Best sports game
MLB The Show - Nothing even remotely close to this game on the planet right now.

Non sports game - Torchlight 2. It's been out for years but it just came to consoles this year and it's and excellent hack and slash ARPG

Game I'm most looking forward too in 2020 provided they actually come out in 2020
Dark Alliance - The successor to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and BG:DA 2. The original BG:DA is my favorite game of all time.
Diablo IV - Looks to be much more dark than Diablo 3 and I can't wait for that. I love the ARPG genre
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Best sports game: MLB The Show, no contest..
Yep, and it is seriously not close IMO.
No PS4 here. I've been exclusively Xbox since 2002. But I'm stoked that The Show may come to the Xbox by 2021. I'm not a baseball fan, but I always have enjoyed baseball games. And the praise for The Show every year is overwhelming.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Should add that one game I'm looking forward to in 2020 is Rugby 20. I watched a lot of the videos of the first two beta releases and came away impressed enough to pre order it which gave me access to beta 3. I'm really enjoying the game play....best Rugby game i've played in a long time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Best Sports Game: Madden 20/OOTP 20 (played the heck out of both)
Honorable Mention: Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball 2020

Best Non Sports Game: Call of Duty MW/Age of Wonders Planetfall

Biggest Surprise: Darksiders Genesis

Biggest Disappointment: NHL 20

Most looking forward to in 2020: Cyberpunk 2077/Front Office Football 9/Empire of Sin/Crusader Kings III/Total War Saga: Troy
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

My GOTY is RDR2. Absolutely the best single player experience I've ever had in a game. The online world took longer to take off, but I've had a ball digging back in to the world.

Best shooter? Division 2.

Biggest surprise? COD:MW

Best sports game? I didn't really play a sports title this year. I miss NCAA.

Best indie title? Untitled Goose Game. What a complete surprise. Honorable mention, Lonely Mountains Downhill.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

CHEATER! RDR 2 was released in October 2018. Disqualified by this rule set atop my original post: "Every title must have been released to retail in 2019."

:)

Second your recommendation of Lonely Mountains Downhill. What a neat little game. Helps that I'm a mountain biker, too. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RDR2 is the game of the 2010’s. How ‘bout that? :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:RDR2 is the game of the 2010’s. How ‘bout that? :D
No

Its Witcher 3

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:RDR2 is the game of the 2010’s. How ‘bout that? :D
Accepted! :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I play FIFA for one reason only. FUT as in online tourneys. For that reason alone and the typical servers weekend issues of the past I am going to disagree with you PK. The game plain sucks, it’s scripted, depending what time of the day you play, you may enjoy the gameplay but in terms of simulation of the sports, PES still is king for me especially when I can download real team and players on the PS4.

Both titles got issues of course but in terms of offline play and realism I am stick with Konami. It’s more organic, movements for certain players can be clumsy, obvious no calls from refs, etc.

Fifa just seems to have different gameplay depending on what mode you use.

The Show is a fantastic replication of the sport but for the past couple of years I’ve only played Diamond Dynasty only and my interest with the career player has decreased.

Shooter wise, I am having a lot of fun with Modern Warfare, played the heck out of Division 2 with special mention to Borderlands 3.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Both titles got issues of course but in terms of offline play and realism I am stick with Konami. It’s more organic, movements for certain players can be clumsy, obvious no calls from refs, etc.
Since downloading the Xbox version on Game Pass, i've seen quite a few calls during offline games both against me and the CPU. The biggest selling point regarding the PES series is that you feel like you are part of a team. That you actually have teammates whereas in FIFA it's like you versus the world. Also in FIFA pretty much every team regardless of the League pretty much feels the same.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

2019 was a great year for gaming and there were a lot of pleasant surprises for me.

BEST SPORTS GAME: Snooker 19
I don't play too many "traditional" sports games but Ripstone games created a very authentic feel to billiards. Snooker is a fun game to play and there is much strategy involved. Since its April release, the developers have continuously listened to the community and make solid refinements, enhancements, and fixes to this game.

BEST SHOOTER: Borderlands 3
This was a very tough choice between Modern Warfare, The Division 2, and Gears 5, but I have always been a fan of the Borderlands series and Gearbox did not disappoint me with this title. Still the best looter shooter out there. Definitely a solid year for shooter games.

BEST RACING GAME: Wreckfest
Another title that surprised me and is just so much fun to play! The destruction derby aspect of the game is what I was primarily looking for, but with the recent patches, the racing aspect of this game makes this game so much fun to play! Bugbear Entertainment continues to add to this game, its something I would recommend to anyone here to play.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Civilization 6
I had no idea this was coming to the consoles. Well Firaxis made a beautiful port to this computer strategy game. Yes, it's definitely a it pricey to get this and the Expansion pack, but for the amount of hours I'll sink into this over the coming months, it is well worth it for me. I've been a Civ junkie since the original game back in the early 1990's.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Ghost Recon Breakpoint
While I had some fun with this, its got so many problems. It obviously was rushed and there was no clear direction with where the game wanted to go. They promise to bring this back to glory with a complete overhaul in 2020, so until they do the major revamp, this will stay on the shelf.

BEST VALUE: Game Pass
Can't argue with this at all! Constant additions to the library, this is definitely the best value in gaming right now.

Other great 2019 games include The Outer Worlds, Trials Rising, Mortal Kombat 11, WRC 8, and Dirt Rally 2.0. 2019 was a fun year and it appears 2020 will be just as good as the new generation of consoles will be launched and I am sure there will be many great surprise titles announced at E3 in June.

Happy New Year everyone!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
10spro wrote:Both titles got issues of course but in terms of offline play and realism I am stick with Konami. It’s more organic, movements for certain players can be clumsy, obvious no calls from refs, etc.
Since downloading the Xbox version on Game Pass, i've seen quite a few calls during offline games both against me and the CPU. The biggest selling point regarding the PES series is that you feel like you are part of a team. That you actually have teammates whereas in FIFA it's like you versus the world. Also in FIFA pretty much every team regardless of the League pretty much feels the same.
Not true this year, Rod, at least in my experience. Past FIFA games have featured no distinction between teams: Barcelona and Crawley Town were the same.

But this year, I feel a distinct difference between teams. I played a Champions League with Galatasaray. Barely scraped into the round of 16. Played Chelsea in the round of 16. There wasn't a damn thing I could do with formations, tactics, etc., to beat them. Chelsea's players were faster, stronger on the ball and more skilled -- just like in reality.

My biggest, game-killing beefs with PES 2020 are the wide-open midfield and the horrible AI defending on human-controlled teams. There is almost zero resistance from box to box in PES 2020, and then the box becomes Hadrian's Wall. And I would have pulled out my hair if I had any -- sorry, I'm bald -- for the number of times I've seen my CPU-controlled teammates just stand idly or even run away when an opposing player that possesses the ball is in their vicinity.

A shame, as I enjoyed the hell out of PES 2019 and found it superior to FIFA 19.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks to everyone who has posted their opinions so far. Come on, the rest of you avid DSP gaming f*ckers: Let's hear from you!

I learn a lot from reading your impressions of the year and enjoy all of them. I know I'm not alone.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

My gaming time has been cut way back this year with NHL 20 on the weekends the only game I have been playing on a regular basis so I'm not up to speed on all of the games that came out this year. Enjoy reading everyone's impressions in this thread though. Will have to check out Snooker and Wreckfest sometime in the new year. What I'm most looking forward to next year is the next Xbox system in the fall and Flight Simulator whenever it releases on gamepass.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vader29 wrote:What I'm most looking forward to next year is the next Xbox system in the fall and Flight Simulator whenever it releases on gamepass.
Co Signed! Flight Simulator looks sick.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

My "new" gaming experience is so limited this year that I can't intelligently speak to most of the categories of the OP. I didn't play any new shooters, and only dabbled at the trial or demo versions of the new team sports games, none of which compelled me to buy the full game. On to those to which I can speak of:

BEST RACING GAME: NASCAR HEAT 4

This was the first of the NASCAR HEAT 4 series in which I felt like the AI races in a believably, competitive manner. The force feedback wheel support in this one is finally serviceable, although there's still considerable room for improvement here. I've got the difficulty set at a level that ensures a satisfying challenge every time out. It's relegated to 1080p, and still doesn't run at 60 FPS on the XBox One X, but the 30 FPS performance it delivers is serviceable.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Untitled Goose Game

It has the look of an XBox OG game, but it's surprisingly entertaining, especially if you're playing it with young children around. My 6 year old grandson is giddy over it! I can't think of a game I've ever played before in which the objective was to be annoying... interesting concept!

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: NBA 2K20

It looks and sounds great, but I feel like I'm out of the control loop at times. In some situations, it seems like there are animation sequences that have to complete before I get control again. It hurts the cohesive feel of the game. With EA's effort being canceled, there wasn't a new basketball game of merit this year, IMO. NBA 2K14 remains my favorite of the series.

BEST VALUE: XBox Ultimate Gamepass

This is an insanely good deal and covers current games that you'd think would command a premium price. I wouldn't be playing Forza Horizons 4, among others, without it!

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME of 2020: The Golf Club 2021: Featuring PGA TOUR

Okay, the game hasn't been announced yet, but I have a strong hunch that HB Studios is quietly working on this, with a late February/early March press release brewing. I think it will be written in such a way to be able to cash in on the advanced performance and display capabilities of the PS4 and the XBox Series X consoles when they release later in the year. I anticipate a July or August release for TGC 2021.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

2019 Sports Game: FIFA 20 - I appreciate FUT and love the investing, gambling part of it. Yes, I’ve spent a few bucks on Packs to jump start my season, but mostly I’ve gained my millions by investing, trading and speculating. It’s like the stock market, without the risk of financial peril. I put a ton of time into it - in game and on the apps, and it’s something that I enjoy. Probably too much. It helps that I’ve become a huge fan of soccer in the past few years.

2019 Non-Sports Game: Dragons Quest Builders 2 - a surprise hit with me and my son. Tons of depth, fun story, LENGTHY campaign and just an all around joy to play. I got it on the Switch (but it’s available everywhere) and it’s the perfect game for that system due to the pick up and play nature (if only the writing wasn’t so small on the screen for my terrible eyesight).

2019 Racing Game: WRC 8 - loved 7 and 8 improved on nearly everything, especially the handling model. The cars felt a bit floaty in 7 and they got the weight and bias tuned even better in 8. I still haven’t been able to get into it that much on the Xbox but I’ve played the hell out of it on the PC. It’s really a gem of a game and takes a back seat to Rally 2.0 for some reason. I enjoy it quite a bit more. It helps the UI is significantly better as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I've got $30 worth of Xbox gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, Ace. I considered F1 2019 but declined because I played the trial and didn't consider it that much better than F1 2018 available on GamePass. Considered WRC 8, but I still enjoy DIRT Rally 2.0, also available on GamePass. Considered Ace Combat 7, but the cheesy story turned me off. Considered MotoGP 19, but I don't believe anyone when they say Milestone has improved its physics model. Plus I still LOVE Isle of Man TT.

But Wreckfest? Color me seriously intrigued after your review. Just read some reviews and watched some videos, and it looks like the perfect spiritual successor to Flatout and Destruction Derby, two game series I LOVED on earlier consoles.

Thanks for the tip!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

pk500 wrote: But Wreckfest? Color me seriously intrigued after your review. Just read some reviews and watched some videos, and it looks like the perfect spiritual successor to Flatout and Destruction Derby, two game series I LOVED on earlier consoles.

Thanks for the tip!
If you enjoy any of the Destruction Derby and Flatout games, then you will definitely like Wreckfest. When the game initially launched, the racing was very slippery and BugBear said that was intentional for the consoles but heard to the dismay of the gamers and changed it to control like the PC version. The racing is really fun now and your cars make a difference in the handling. There is some basic tuning and upgrading you can do with the cars as well. One more thing, some of the vehicles are quite interesting to drive, from a limo, to a camper, to a harvester, and a riding lawn mower. Oh yeah, there is a motorized couch as well! Those are more designed to break up the game and are pretty much limited to one challenge in the career mode. Which leads me to say the career mode has a great amount of length to it.

There was some DLC content that launched last month which was free and a holiday DLC pack that was also free. I haven't played the holiday DLC content yet because of how busy I've been, but I plan on hitting Wreckfast back up in the next week or so. I haven't played it online yet but I hear it is quite fun.

For $30, it is definitely worth checking out for a change of pace.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

My sports gaming and "traditional" gaming in general has declined more and more as my boys get older and they hog the systems. Most of my traditional gaming has been relegated to the workshop where I have a PS3 (mostly for The show) and Xbox 360 setup on a smaller TV.

My saving grace has been the Switch. It has been my go to system to play in the living room when my boys are playing the Xbox One. I let my oldest son put our PS4 in his room so there goes playing the Show.

Here are my 2020 most played games:

Wargroove - Switch. I loved Advanced Wars and this game more than meets its high standard.

Pinball FX3 - Switch. I know this came out in 2017 but the Williams DLC packs come out every few months with some amazing tables. Not to mention the Star Wars standalone pack with 19 SW tables.

Puzzle Quest - Switch. Never played this on mobile and it is perfect for quick sessions. Great match 3 game.

Now that we have a new PC, I am thinking of picking up PES 2020.