NCAA Players Can Profit off of Likeness

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

NCAA Players Can Profit off of Likeness

Post by icvu42 »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

This is huge news. So how soon do you think before NCAA Football and hopefully College Hoops 2K returns?

Rick

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NCAA Players Can Profit off of Likeness

Post by Zlax45 »

icvu42 wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

This is huge news. So how soon do you think before NCAA Football and hopefully College Hoops 2K returns?

Rick
Just a proposal and doesn't say this WILL happen
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

And I don't think this will be a good move for college sports. Me-ball City, here we come.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

My neighbor was the kicker for Oregon state , he got a check from a game a few weeks back for 4 grand 8O .
Pretty sweet for him.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:And I don't think this will be a good move for college sports. Me-ball City, here we come.
So college sports are a bastion of team first now? We don't have college athletes already known on a first-name-only basis like Zion and Tua? We don't have the cult of coaches in college sports? Baker Mayfield never promoted himself during his college career? Tim Tebow didn't bask in the cult-like devotion of fans while at Florida? Desmond Howard invented the Heisman pose only in the pros?

The idea that college sports somehow are more about team than pros is charming.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

icvu42 wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

Rick
Soon, I hope!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Teal wrote:And I don't think this will be a good move for college sports. Me-ball City, here we come.
So college sports are a bastion of team first now? We don't have college athletes already known on a first-name-only basis like Zion and Tua? We don't have the cult of coaches in college sports? Baker Mayfield never promoted himself during his college career? Tim Tebow didn't bask in the cult-like devotion of fans while at Florida? Desmond Howard invented the Heisman pose only in the pros?

The idea that college sports somehow are more about team than pros is charming.
You forgot to add Johnny "Football" Manziel who was the poster child for Me-Ball City.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good point, Rod.

Love ya like a brother, Teal, but the idea that big-time college sports is somehow more pure and less individualistic than the pros is silly, especially when you consider college sports are a BILLION-dollar business in America.

Now, I'm sure the Auburn swim team probably is filled with kids who never will make a professional dime from swimming. But big-time, revenue-generating college sports (football, basketball) are nothing but a training ground for the pros.

If college is such a bastion of team-first attitudes, then why do college sports information departments spend TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars each year to promote their Heisman Trophy candidates to the media voters? Why even have the Heisman, an individual award, if college is so team-oriented?

Fact: There are FAR more individual awards in college football than in the NFL. I believe the NFL has three: MVP, Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year. College has the Heisman, O'Brien, Groza, Biletnikoff, Outland, Butkus and other annual individual awards for nearly every position player.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Fair points, all. But even still, there's no need to dig the hole deeper just because someone started digging one. That makes as much sense as "hey, they've already bought the gun, might as well give them bullets".

I miss NCAA games, but I hate that some tool got some court to agree that OT#55 is somehow the same as his name and likeness. It's utterly stupid. And it's the only reason we're here now. Again, I miss the games, but I won't overlook the insane problems with this just so I can get a video game back.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood