Ghost Recon Break Point

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Ghost Recon Break Point

Post by Danimal »

Played some of this last night with Terry and 2 of his buds on the PC. A lot of my impressions should be taken with a grain of salt as I was just firing up the game when I got the invite. I had to go through the initial character build and cut scene and then was whisked to their game. It didn't take too long to get up to speed but I did a lot of skipping of tutorials and really had no idea what the story was about. I plan to play an hour or so solo before jumping in again just so I can read the tutorials. With that said my observations.
  • The movement is sluggish but purposely. Think RDR2 movement but better. It took me a while to get comfortable with it and I'm still unclear why they went this route when D2 and GRWL movement felt perfect. I know this game is supposed to be more realistic (it's not) and this was a design choice but it is something to be aware of.
  • Ubisoft once again proves they are the master of the open world game. Bethesda somehow wears the crown in some peoples eye with Skyrim etc but the environments and sheer number of places to explore are amazing. It seems like each game gets better and better in this regard.
  • Graphically on the PC it is amazing. Rain storms blow in, wind causes plant life and debris in the air. Lighting is perfectly done. Hell you can go prone and roll in the mud to camo yourself.
  • There is some kind of class system but since I skipped through the tutorials I have no idea how it works. I picked a Panther (not sure if that is right) and there were skills I could get. I also has some kind of special camo ability but again skipped tutorials so no idea.
  • I started with a pistol and the group was in full load out I was like umm guys. I was told wait 5 minutes and it was true by then I had like 4 assault rifles and an LMG. Equipment is like everywhere which comes back to my realistic point. If movement was changes to make it less arcade like why can I haul around 5 weapons or more. Why is s*** literally lying everywhere?
  • Could be my misunderstanding but I thought you could get injuries like spraining an ankle or etc if you jump from large heights well I did this last night with no issues. Again maybe I am confusing this with another game.
  • At first I was like where are all the bad guys but then we stumble into a firefight and later on went to check out a building compound that must of had 50 guys in it. We had a firefight that felt like it lasted 20 minutes with us having to revive guys and fall back etc. This was the standout part of the night and got me excited to play more.
  • This might be the first launch game from Ubi that I've seen so many little issues. Bad guys last night I couldn't shoot and who didn't see me. Obviously syncing issues in MP. Bodies floating in the sky or attached to vehicles etc. Nothing so far has been game killing but it seems like this was a little rushed.
That's it from one night with basically skipping every tutorials and the beginning of the game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Ghost Recon Break Point

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the detailed impressions, Dan. I loved the beta. Definitely getting the full game at launch.

I really dig the sticky cover system that was introduced. Very cool.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The injuries are real, but we were playing on Normal mode, where everything is toned down. I started the night on Extreme, but after some quick deaths to the 150-gearscore Wolves at the beginning, we dialed it back down. It seemed I had to throw 10 bullets at them to take them down on Extreme, which isn't Ghost Recon. On Normal, at least a single headshot still dropped them.

Dan, you picked up 5 minutes and 3 chests in. We weren't really in "full load out", we just had a couple of weapons from the chests we got on the way. I sent you the invite right when we started, so it was only 5 minutes (3 of which were travel time) in. Tutorials are important if you didn't play the betas, though.

That compound firefight was absolutely epic, but you cracked me up with your "LEEEEEROOOYYYYYY JENNNNNNKINS" moment on the minigun heading in. I'm like "this place is big....WAIT WHY IS MY MINIGUN FIRING FROM THE VEHICLE?" I figure it's on now, but when we got close and I saw what looked like FIFTY "!" symbols everywhere, I knew we were in for a sh*t show. Didn't know it would be the highlight of the night, though. Epic encounter.

The class system works, but mostly to tailor your playstyle. Panther gets bonuses to SMGs and Pistols and a smoke grenade to escape combat, a faster movement speed, and no damage reduction on suppressors. Assault gets additional health and bonuses to AR's and Shotguns with a "class grenade" of some kind (I forget what it does, as I don't play assault much), etc. Every role can pick from the same skills, but it's just dictating your class skill and bonuses. Then you have little "challenges" that rank up each class. As a panther, I had to kill "X" guys from stealth, CQC a couple of guys, kill 3 guys without reloading, etc. That ranks it up. I assume there's some sort of rewards system based on ranks, but I haven't seen that yet. It DOES reward XP every time you rank up, though.

Overall, I absolutely LOVE this game in co-op especially. From random encounters to patrol jeeps or drones/choppers, it seems like it nails the formula that Far Cry 5 TRIED to do (random encounters keeping you on your toes, without having to deal with them every 2 minutes).

Looking forward to investing serious time in this one. I played nothing but Division 2 for about a month and a half at release (mostly on PC, but did complete the story on XBox with my wife), and I think I'll likely double it with Ghost Recon.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote: Dan, you picked up 5 minutes and 3 chests in. We weren't really in "full load out", we just had a couple of weapons from the chests we got on the way. I sent you the invite right when we started, so it was only 5 minutes (3 of which were travel time) in. Tutorials are important if you didn't play the betas, though.
From a purely visual standpoint you looked like you had been in country for some time. LOL I didn't play the betas because doing that in D2 kind of killed the early game for me so I need a little solo time just to get the systems down.

I'm definitely down to play again tonight but I think we should use Discord for voice there was a lot of echo at points.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That won't change, as my buddy (Montayne in the game) has a desktop mic, and when he forgets to mute his mic, his speakers play back and that's creating the echo.

I'm giving him a headset to try and help, because it's been an issue for a while. And no, there's actually a "costume" mode in the game where you can pick any set of gear for appearance purposes. There were some preorder bonuses that I had "shown", but my equipped gear was all level 1 to level 8 (you can tell by the Gear Score number on each player in the squad. We were all about the same to start with).

Take your time, I just sent the invite because I know we were waiting on this one, but feel free to join whenever you're feelin' sparky in the future. It's always open to friends.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'll definitely be firing this mother up late Thursday night, as there was no way in hell I was dropping an extra 40 bucks just to play 3 days early. :D A good sign that I'm loving a game is signing into the beta and being very sad it's over.

I'm greatly looking forward to this bad boy. Been playing Wildlands again just to satisfy the jonesing...lol
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Luckily, on PC it's simple: Uplay+. Much like Origin Access, if I pay $15 a month and get 150+ Ubisoft games (every AC, every Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, etc.), it's easily worth it.

Since those all come with Gold editions, I spent $15 on it for those few days and much, much more.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I'll definitely be firing this mother up late Thursday night, as there was no way in hell I was dropping an extra 40 bucks just to play 3 days early. :D A good sign that I'm loving a game is signing into the beta and being very sad it's over.

I'm greatly looking forward to this bad boy. Been playing Wildlands again just to satisfy the jonesing...lol
Yep, what the dude from Alabama said :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Teal wrote:I'll definitely be firing this mother up late Thursday night, as there was no way in hell I was dropping an extra 40 bucks just to play 3 days early. :D A good sign that I'm loving a game is signing into the beta and being very sad it's over.

Yep, what the dude from Alabama said :)
What the dudes from Alabama and Philly said. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Far Cry marrying Ghost Recon is definitely what Breakpoint is. And its a good thing because I think the best of both games is shown here. Enjoying what I have seen so far, but only have played a couple hours. Got spotted by a drone last night and the enemies were relentless. Seemed I ran forever and thought I found a good hiding spot but they still managed to find me and take me out. LOL

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played again last night and the movement is no longer an issue. who knows maybe I can play RDR2 now LOL.

Anyway we have a full house on the PC with too many guys so that is a first. Wish they would expand the coop to more than 4 but I get why they don't. Terry had us shut off some of the aids to make the game a little more difficult and it was a great session last night but it is like the 3rd time I've played and gotten to the main base. I hate starting over so hoping to move forward with one of these guys as this is another large world.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Dammit, I've got an early morning tomorrow and a long day. Might not be able to get on tonight after all. Y'all are killing me...lol

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

enjoying it so far...wish the mission/task menus were a bit more simplified.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm having MUCH more fun with this one than Wildlands. And that's high praise.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Its not Ghost Recon except for some name dropping. I'd call this one generic Ubisoft open world game with guns. An exercise in collectables, upgrades and leveling with no soul and glitches. Today we blew up a helicopter and the resulting fireball stayed in the air for another 2 minutes while it continued shooting down at us. The only saving grace is fighting some coop battles and the PVP.

Sad to say I agree with a lot of this 1/5 review, https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/04/ghost- ... nt-review/
Last edited by Pete1210 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I completely disagree. I enjoy this more than Wildlands, and I love Wildlands. Haven't seen too many glitches, the firefights can be intense, and I love the ground camo stuff. Love feeling hunted. Love co-op. Love ghost war. Can't wait to get off work to play more. Don't know what else to say.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, I've never felt more out of touch with reviews on this one. It has some genuinely baffling decisions...like repeated generic "where can you find this person?" when talking about a major story character, and generic "I've told you everything I know!" as a direct response. Even though they've literally said nothing in between your generic question and their generic answer.

A gear score that doesn't quite make sense. What is it really doing? More armor? Other bonuses? Nothing explained. I know greens have one bonus perk, blues have two, etc...but is it increasing something else? Do I magically get better fighting GS150 wolves when my GS is 150 instead of 60 like it is now (they can 1-shot me on Extreme)?

A UI that is sluggish and over-complicated. Why can't you mark 20 things as junk and dismantle them all, instead of holding the same button 20 times in a row, waiting a full 2 seconds for the tiles to update? Stuff like that is crazy.

Bugs...I had glitches last night where pulling out equipment like the rocket launcher or the sharpshooter's "marking" gadget glitched the character. Couldn't move, couldn't reload, couldn't do anything. And we were in the middle of assaulting a 150 GS wolves' camp on Extreme difficulty with no UI. Bad timing.

AI can be pretty dumb, but I love how they don't instantly know where you are if your team mate gets discovered.

And yet...I can't stop playing it. The gear-hunt has me hooked, and I've had the most fun just going on foot from point A to point B, exploring every question mark and location I come across. I'm not even doing mission after mission, just aimlessly exploring and clearing areas. I've had a full team almost every night since last week on PC, so clearly I'm not the ONLY one having fun with it.

But then I read every review and it's like the devs packaged up dogsh*t, threw it into a digital download, and released it. I mean, they obviously took some shortcuts here and maybe since it's a "Ubisoft Open World (TM) game", people expect a certain level of polish. Expectations maybe had to do with this one, because I get it being a mediocre game due to the bugs and strange UI/systems. But 1 out of 5, or the "avoid" rating everywhere I look?

I'm glad I don't really care, in this particular case.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I like it a lot myself but it for sure has the feel of a rushed to market game and not one that they took time to polish. The biggest thing for me to get over is you can completly attack a base of a supposed military force and half the time they call in reinforcements and usually it is one wave and that is it.

There are moments when mortars are raining down and everything is frantic as s*** and there are moments where really the AI is cool I just knocked out this refinery and didn't come back an reclaim it.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:I completely disagree. I enjoy this more than Wildlands, and I love Wildlands. Haven't seen too many glitches, the firefights can be intense, and I love the ground camo stuff. Love feeling hunted. Love co-op. Love ghost war. Can't wait to get off work to play more. Don't know what else to say.
Co-sign. That review Pete quoted is a joke. The guy didn't like Wildlands, so there's a clue about preconceived bias. It's obvious the reviewer just wants a rehash of the original Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon Island Thunder year after year after year. That's stale.

This new version of Ghost Recon is just fine. Sure, it's closer to The Division than previous editions of GR, but there's nothing wrong with that. I've seen none of the glitches you describe. I don't find anything boring about the missions. I don't find anything routine or ugly about the maps. And what shooter doesn't feature missions that are somewhat repetitive? Find objective. Get there. Shoot dudes. Fulfill mission. Isn't that what damn near EVERY military shooter does?

My only quibble is that the AI can be a bit dopey at times. Again, other than Operation Flashpoint Red River, name me one recent military shooter that didn't feature moronic AI at times. The Division's AI was dopey in some missions. The Division 2 improved on that. Yet those remain my two favorite military shooters of all time.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: My only quibble is that the AI can be a bit dopey at times. Again, other than Operation Flashpoint Red River, name me one recent military shooter that didn't feature moronic AI at times.
ARMA 3
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote: My only quibble is that the AI can be a bit dopey at times. Again, other than Operation Flashpoint Red River, name me one recent military shooter that didn't feature moronic AI at times.
ARMA 3
I should have been more specific by saying "console military shooter." :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I will say that I don't particularly like getting into a choke point and the AI running into my bullets like lemmings. But I'll also say that I never remember playing a shooter that DIDN'T do this. I'd like to see AI recognize that I'm in a no way out situation, and simply lob a grenade, or a flashbang into the room and take me out. Now, outdoors, the AI seems to do a good job of flanking and seeking cover.

I still can't say enough good things about this game. I can't wait to fire it up when I get home from work daily. Are there issues? Sure. And I believe they'll mostly be fixed. Look at what Ubisoft did with the division. They turned a mess into a fantastic experience. Breakpoint is not a mess by any stretch. I'm having a blast. With Bill, we typically get tactical and discriminating. With PK? Katie bar the door-we're shooting something. Loudly. :lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I will say that I don't particularly like getting into a choke point and the AI running into my bullets like lemmings. But I'll also say that I never remember playing a shooter that DIDN'T do this. I'd like to see AI recognize that I'm in a no way out situation, and simply lob a grenade, or a flashbang into the room and take me out. Now, outdoors, the AI seems to do a good job of flanking and seeking cover.

I still can't say enough good things about this game. I can't wait to fire it up when I get home from work daily. Are there issues? Sure. And I believe they'll mostly be fixed. Look at what Ubisoft did with the division. They turned a mess into a fantastic experience. Breakpoint is not a mess by any stretch. I'm having a blast. With Bill, we typically get tactical and discriminating. With PK? Katie bar the door-we're shooting something. Loudly. :lol:
:lol:
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Worst. UI. Ever.

Seriously - my co-op crew and I cannot even figure out how to all join the same mission. Let alone figure out all the other quirky ways the interface and menu system wants you to interact.

Decent game marred by HORRIBLE menu's and interface.

Unpin. Pin, Unpin. Pin. Unpin. Pin.

Bivouacs are dumb. Please dear god tell me that I will eventually be able to call in a vehicle without going into a nearby Biv?!?!?

If I have to take that long stroll out of Erewon again I will strangle someone.

The map system is a joke.

Other than that (and a few other things) - the game is fun.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, the all-same-mission thing is absurd. I've resorted to just zooming out to the entire island view, ask them which zone the mission is in, and then going there and pressing Y to see missions. It'll have every mission for that zone, and then just pin it.

The UI is easily the worst part of the game. Glitches and bugs are second, and yet I can't stop playing it with friends.