XBOX Game Pass (Ultimate)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBOX Game Pass (Ultimate)

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:As many awards and critical praise the Witcher 3 has received, I have never been able to connect with the game or have the game draw me in to its world. I can't put my finger on why and I like RPG's.
Critics and awards dont mean jack s*** to me or most gamers. It is us the gamers that love this game that have given it the reputation it has.

This game is deep. To connect you have to give up real time.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Outer Worlds is a RPG Lite...it really isn’t a proper RPG as far as depth goes. It’s fun as hell and it holds your hand more so than most (reminding you of objectives almost to the point of annoyance) so it’s the perfect game to play if you’re not really a fan of the genre.

Witcher 3, while beautiful and deep...never clicked with me either. The combat, as mentioned, is atrocious and it really felt like a chore to win a few battles and I got so frustrated I gave up and came back to it six months later. Finally got by the part I was stuck on and got stuck again. So I’m on another hiatus. Probably will take me a good 10 years to finish it.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
The combat, as mentioned, is atrocious
No its not.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I wouldn't call it atrocious, but just designed in a very, very particular way. I just got used to dodging around like a madman until I got the exact position I wanted, and then using the attacks...because otherwise, he'd launch into a spin and get hit instead.

After a LOT of playtime, it became natural to me, and even very fun. Parrying and countering, the ability to just hold Light Attack and spin around hitting everything for massive damage, and upgrading signs made it much more interesting, but...I can definitely see it turning a lot of people off.

Especially if they're not invested in RPG stuff (and I had already beaten The Witcher and The Witcher 2 when I played it, so I had a lot of investment in the world itself already).

And PK, free is the best price to try it at! I just meant, if you're not into RPGs, this is the ultimate "Tough Sell". Skill trees, alchemy, crafting, repairing gear, fetch quests, combat that takes adjusting to. Runes to upgrade gear, gear sets that give you bonuses, etc. Later Expansions introduce mutations and NEW build options...the build theorycrafters went nuts.

I've got something like 186 hours on the game in Steam, so clearly I love it (and most of my playtime was on XBox!), but it's the "RPG-est" of the RPGs out there.

If you let it get its hooks into you, story-wise, though...it's tough to put down. The quest design and choices in the game are the best in the business.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Outer Worlds is a RPG Lite...it really isn’t a proper RPG as far as depth goes. It’s fun as hell and it holds your hand more so than most (reminding you of objectives almost to the point of annoyance) so it’s the perfect game to play if you’re not really a fan of the genre.
Perhaps that's why I'm digging it. Probably the same sensation with The Division and Division 2, my favorite gaming series ever. They're really FPS games dressed in an RPG scarf, which is a perfect mix for me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Maybe one day the Witcher 3 will click with me. I bought The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion back when it was first released and couldn't get into the game. The game was huge and couldn't connect with it. Last year I tried the game again and fell in love with it. I finished the entire game and all of the DLC and I still go back to playing it. I must have put over 300 hrs of play time.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

TCrouch wrote:I wouldn't call it atrocious, but just designed in a very, very particular way. I just got used to dodging around like a madman until I got the exact position I wanted, and then using the attacks...because otherwise, he'd launch into a spin and get hit instead.

After a LOT of playtime, it became natural to me, and even very fun. Parrying and countering, the ability to just hold Light Attack and spin around hitting everything for massive damage, and upgrading signs made it much more interesting, but...I can definitely see it turning a lot of people off.

Especially if they're not invested in RPG stuff (and I had already beaten The Witcher and The Witcher 2 when I played it, so I had a lot of investment in the world itself already).

And PK, free is the best price to try it at! I just meant, if you're not into RPGs, this is the ultimate "Tough Sell". Skill trees, alchemy, crafting, repairing gear, fetch quests, combat that takes adjusting to. Runes to upgrade gear, gear sets that give you bonuses, etc. Later Expansions introduce mutations and NEW build options...the build theorycrafters went nuts.

I've got something like 186 hours on the game in Steam, so clearly I love it (and most of my playtime was on XBox!), but it's the "RPG-est" of the RPGs out there.

If you let it get its hooks into you, story-wise, though...it's tough to put down. The quest design and choices in the game are the best in the business.
Extremely well put sir.

Extremely well put.

Best game ever.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Just to throw in my 2 cents on Witcher 3, probably my favorite game ever, and I don't otherwise play RPGs or read/watch fantasy.

I died in the combat a lot at first, but you figure out when to be defensive and conservative, and your go-to moves. If you get stuck on a side quest, come back to it later when you're stronger. I didn't really have problems on the main quest line.

I largely ignored the massive inventory and herbs and stuff, and didn't use any runes to enhance gear. It's boring to me, and ultimately unnecessary. The main skill tree was more important, and I have no problem managing that.

For me the game was just all about story and an engrossing world. I rolled my eyes a bit at the story and the main characters at first, but then it hooked me in. The characters are very well rounded and believable, and the large world you wander is just so engrossing. Every town, every side quest has a nice, little compelling story. Honestly the main story was one of the more boring story lines IMO!

I have like 110 hours in, and that's for the main game, and about half of the first expansion. I haven't even touched the larger, second expansion. In hindsight, I wish I had spent a little less time playing Gwent instead of adventuring!

PS - I'm just finishing up the book series (2 short story collections and 5 novels), and will start the Netflix series in the next few days...
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

The Outer Worlds has been a fantastic game so far. I'm at the point in my gaming life and old age that I enjoy a game that shows me where I need to go, has straightforward but fun combat, easy modding of your gear and has such a beautiful world to explore.

I love having companions that help, characters have been memorable and the game as a whole just checks off all the boxes for me so far. It's so easy to jump into and play for an hour or so.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Several good editions this month:

Ninja Gaiden II (360)
Two Point Hospital
Kingdom Hearts III

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Supposedly, NBA 2K20 drops tomorrow.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Supposedly, NBA 2K20 drops tomorrow.
Oooh. That's cool. Thanks for tip!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Supposedly, NBA 2K20 drops tomorrow.
Thanks, I had no idea this was coming to Game Pass! Now I'll get to see first hand how it came to rate at 2 stars on XBox Live :? My guess is that it's an over-reaction to the game's over abundance of micro-transactions? I rarely ever engage in micro-transactions, and I don't feel any urge or need to do so with a basketball game. My misgivings about what I've briefly experienced in hands-on play is how it's reliant on too many drawn out animation sequences which make the game feel too choreographed. Maybe I'll find something here to change my mind about that?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

J_Cauthen wrote:My misgivings about what I've briefly experienced in hands-on play is how it's reliant on too many drawn out animation sequences which make the game feel too choreographed. Maybe I'll find something here to change my mind about that?
Probably not. The developers' slavish devotion to animation chains has been a flaw of this solid franchise for many years. It's an addiction they can't shake.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:My misgivings about what I've briefly experienced in hands-on play is how it's reliant on too many drawn out animation sequences which make the game feel too choreographed. Maybe I'll find something here to change my mind about that?
Probably not. The developers' slavish devotion to animation chains has been a flaw of this solid franchise for many years. It's an addiction they can't shake.
It's why the pursuit of absolute realism in games can be a double edged sword.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Yup. I barely play nba 2k anymore because of it. It’s just so frustrating half of the time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ace Combat 7

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Ace Combat 7
Oooh. Nice. Now?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yup, just added

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Righteous, downloading now. Thanks.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Nier:Automata was added

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Teal wrote:
pk500 wrote:
It's why the pursuit of absolute realism in games can be a double edged sword.
Truth
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Football Manager 2020 has been added (PC) only. Most PC's should be able to run it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Finally jumped on board with Game pass ultimate and have downloaded quite a few games i've been wanting to play but never did buy.
Witcher 3
Kingdom Come
Gears 5
Looking forward to Minecraft Dungeons when it comes out next month.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to Xbox game pass on May 7th. Nice.