Forza 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Forza 7

Post by DChaps »

I have been slack on posting news on Forza 7 and it is now just right around the corner with the demo expected to be released tomorrow:

Forza Motorsport 7 Demo – Sept. 19 - https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_gonegold
The official demo for Forza Motorsport 7 is coming for both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC. The demo features three unique racing experiences in Forza Motorsport 7, showcasing the depth and breadth of the experiences available in the game. Drive the Forza Motorsport 7 cover car – the Porsche 911 GT2 RS – to the brand-new Dubai circuit and experience the thrill of navigating the Jebel Hafeet Pass, one of the most famous driving roads in the world. Or, pilot the massive Mercedes-Benz Tankpool racing truck to victory at the high-speed Mugello circuit in Italy.
For drivers who want the ultimate test, the Nissan NISMO GT-R LM is available for a race at the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit. Here, fans will be challenged to handle the ‘Ring’s complex corners and elevation changes, while also tackling the dynamic track conditions that will make racing in Forza Motorsport 7 so breathtaking. Racing through rainstorms laced with thunder and lightning make for a visual showcase and for a challenge like no other – where dynamic puddles grow and shrink with the intensity of the rain.

The Forza Motorsport 7 demo will feature assists that will allow players to dial in the difficulty the way they see fit; and for PC players there will performance options including benchmark mode to adjust the experience to each player’s PC performance capabilities. For the full list of PC specs supported by Forza Motorsport 7, check out our recent story.
Forza Motorsport 7 PC Specs - https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FM7_Gamescom
As a result, we’ve built Forza Motorsport 7 from the ground up to be the ultimate PC racing game, with native 4K resolution and unlocked framerate on high-end Windows 10 PCs, Xbox Play Anywhere and cross-play functionality, as well as support for multiple monitors, 21:9 displays and numerous peripherals. Plus, with more than 700 cars and 30 tracks, dynamic skies and weather, and an all-new campaign inspired by real-world racing, we’re excited to see PC gamers live their motorsport fantasies this holiday and join our community of more than five million monthly active players.
Our old friend Brian Ekberg has this somewhat disturbing news to post in the week in review. Sounds like a nice way of saying we aren't quite finished, but we needed to get this released now since all the other racing games have been released. :)

Forza Week in Review 9-15-17 - https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_9_15_17
The Xbox One game will be approximately 95 GB at launch. Just about 45 GB of that contained on the Blu-ray disc. The remainder will be available to download for free on September 29......

.....When Forza Motorsport 7 is released, players will be able to immediately dive deep into the Forza Driver’s Cup, spend time exploring the vast customization options in the game, and of course head online and test their skills via multiplayer features like Rivals and our Multiplayer lobbies, which will feature events starring Modern Hot Hatch cars, Track Toys, Sport GT cars, just to name a few. Some features in Forza 7 will not be immediately available at launch – including Auction House, #Forzathon events, and Leagues. Players looking for those features will see the “Coming Soon” notice by the features in the game menus. As our community of players grows in the weeks after launch, we will be enabling those features in game......

......Forza Motorsport 7 will receive another large update on November 7, alongside the release of the Xbox One X. This large update will contain the assets that enable Forza Motorsport 7 to showcase the power of the Xbox One X at native 4K and solid 60 FPS with ultra-high resolution content and will be a free update for those who play Forza 7 on Xbox One X.
Dirt 4 also advertised enhanced online leagues as part of their marketing, still showing this as a feature set on all the game page purchases, but last time I checked they have still not enabled this hyped feature. Hopefully FM7 will do better.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Forza 7

Post by DChaps »

Forza Motorsport 7 Demo - Official Link is Up - Available September 19, 2017 at 10 am Pacific

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/p ... 2XH29364LH

"Sneak peek of #ForzaMotorsport7 demo in the latest episode of #dailytransmission with @TheHoonigans and @johniwanna"
https://twitter.com/ForzaMotorsport/sta ... 5133483010
https://youtu.be/yYSGNBKC3EQ

Release: September 19, 2017 at 10 am Pacific Time worldwide
Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/p ... 2XH29364LH
Size: 23 GB
Min PC Specs (for 720p30fps. Higher specs allow higher resolution and framerate.)
Windows 10 Creators Update
DirectX 12 API, Hardware Feature Level 11
8 GB RAM
2 GB Video Memory
CPU: Intel i5-750 2.67 GHz or AMD FX-6300
GPU: NVIDIA GT 740 or NVIDIA GTX 650 or AMD R7 250X

Make sure your PC is updated to the current Windows 10 build:
1) Type "winver" in Cortana and run it to see your current operating system build number
2) Type "update" in Cortana and run Check for Updates to your Windows 10 build
- 2a) Log in to the Windows Store, navigate to the link above, click the Get Updated button if available
- 2b) See the Download Windows 10 page at Microsoft.com for the Creators Update
- 2c) See Windows 10 update history at support.microsoft.com for the most recent Version (1703 as of this post) and Build (15063.###) which offers links to the Microsoft Update Catalog for download (Windows Update is the preferred method).
3) Update and reboot
4) Type "Settings" in Cortana and System > Storage > "Choose where new content is saved" to confirm the drive where you will install the 23 GB demo.
5) Go back to the Store and click Install after the release time

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks for the reports Don; you've helped elevate my lust for this game to new levels! :D Forza 6 didn't take long to convince me that it was the best console game I've ever played, and Forza 7 looks to push the envelope even further. It will no doubt be the game that convinces me to buy an XBox One X and a 4K display.

Forza 7 will be the first cross-play game I'll buy. I'm curious to get a taste as to how that will work via the demo. Tomorrow, I'll become a voracious gaming Zealot - something that happens with less and less frequency now that I'm in my 60's - as I get my honeymoon will begin with this demo 8)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

95 gigs??? Holy crap.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

95GB is ridiculous OTOH I plan on getting it for free once I cash in my Bing points.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:95GB is ridiculous OTOH I plan on getting it for free once I cash in my Bing points.
Why is 95 GB ridiculous if the game is beautiful and overflowing with content and modes?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Will there be poker nights for this ? May get it to replace NHL.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

95GB isn't all that surprising. 700 cars, detailed more than in any other game. 32 highly detailed tracks. Turn 10 doesn't cut any corners. Unfortunately, higher res games come with more data. At least Microsoft is starting to make developers put their games in blocks, so if there is only certain parts of the game you want to play, that is all you need to download.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Both the PC and XBox One demos are now live. I'm downloading the PC version at 90 Mb/s, and have the XBox One version paused while waiting for the PC version to finish. I can't wait to see how well these cross-play with each other!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I guess I'm in the minority. I will not play demos for games I know are going to be good. I want to have the full experience when they are actually released. If I don't know I'm buying it, sure I'll try a demo, but for the most part, they are too stripped down for my liking. :)

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I guess I'm in the minority. I will not play demos for games I know are going to be good. I want to have the full experience when they are actually released. If I don't know I'm buying it, sure I'll try a demo, but for the most part, they are too stripped down for my liking. :)
I pass on most demos myself, but I'm really curious to see how well they've balanced the force-feedback performance between the PC and XBox One versions. Forza Apex's force-feedback walked the dog on that of Forza 6. I'm thinking they should be very close in Forza 7, since they were developed in parallel on Windows 10.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I am tempted by this game, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go back to racing games without VR. Current VR has many limitations, but racing/cockpit games are such a perfect fit.

Also this game is always such a time drain, I'm not sure I can enjoy properly right now.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

The Forza 7 demo is a train wreck on my PC. Even if I dial it back to 720p, with low and medium graphics settings, it's still an unplayable slideshow. This is the same PC that runs Forza Apex at 1080p/60fps, with medium to high detail settings :? I'm a GB short on their recommended graphics RAM, as my Geforce GTX 1060 has 3GB, versus the recommended 4GB, but that recommended RAM size is for 1080p. I see very little improvement in going from 1080p to 720p with this demo.

The demo runs great on my XBox One, and holds a steady frame rate at 1080p. The force-feedback is going to take some tweaking to dial in, but I can already tell that it's got much more going for it in modeling handling forces. It's overly stiff with the default settings, but I'm getting closer with experience.

The options are very limited in this demo and I've already seen everything there is to see. I'm not able to get a handle on why the PC version's performance is crippled on my system. I'll keep digging into it and see if I can't get an answer. I'm wondering if something might now have gone right with the Creators Update here a while back? I don't recall having to do anything with it. I'm really excited for the XBox One version though and its finally current-gen force-feedback.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I have yet to be able to try out either of the demos yet, but I am interested to see how it runs on my PC (I meet all their specs for full performance), and how the FFB feels out of the box. What sucks a little bit is that I am part of the minority that believes that FM6 had the best default implementation of force feedback in the history of console or PC racing sims. I love the FFB in FM6 and have not touched it since the last update they had to it. Unfortunately, I know I am in the minority, so it will be interesting to see what I think. On the other hand, the force feedback in the FH3 demo was pretty bad, but in the full game it was good.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Pretend Race Cars Did Not Enjoy the Forza 7 Demo - https://pretendracecars.net/2017/09/20/ ... za-7-demo/

Yikes! (I have yet to try the demo on Xbox or PC)
So to give you a cliff’s notes version of all multi-day race car driving schools across the planet, any sort of good race car driver that is routinely seen at the front of the pack in their respective classes essentially pilots their car in a very similar manner. They come barrelling into corner entry until they physically worry about their inability to stop, jump on the brakes as hard as possible to both rotate the ass end of the car & set the vehicle on the bottom of the track at the apex (my entire left leg vibrates in our car), and then as quickly as possible, feed the rear tires enough throttle to pivot the car on the outside rear tire. Provided you exhibit the correct amount of throttle aggression in relation to the radius of the corner, corner exit can be completed with a nearly straight steering wheel because you’re basically steering with your right foot and pivoting the car like an athlete planting his foot to make a cut until you achieve full throttle. This is how I drive in real life. This is how I drive in hardcore sims, if not most racing games. This is why I’m fast in basically every piece of software with cars in it. This is a universal competition driving style that crosses continents and disciplines and realities. There, saved you $3,000, if not more.

Forza 7’s problem is that none of this works. And if this was like, a Steam game for $19.99 in Early Access, then yeah, fine, I probably wouldn’t give a s..t. But this is Forza Motorsport, the simulator with over seven hundred cars, more tracks than we know what to do with, and the unofficial title of being Gran Turismo’s spiritual successor.....I don’t understand how you have this much access to technical data, and the end result is so disconnected and abstract.

First, weight transfer and inertia in Forza is exponentially greater than what you experience in real life.

....I have never played a racing game where the tires have such an absurdly low limit of adhesion as what’s exhibited in Forza 7. You can be coasting through an uphill corner at 70 km/h in second gear, feet completely off both pedals, and the rear end will just wash out into a skid that makes you look completely incompetent behind the wheel. There is no sidewall flex. There is no lateral grip. It’s a very distinct on/off switch between adhesion, and hitting phantom black ice.

....I’m under the impression that Forza’s physics engine was designed with pad users in mind, basically as a way to encourage teenagers and casuals to play it safe and focus on smooth driving lines. In the hands of someone armed with a steering wheel and real world competition driving experience, it is objectively the worst driving game on the market. Cars don’t drive like this. Tires don’t work like this.

....I’ve seen a lot of complaints about Forza’s force feedback over the years, but to give this game a proper shakedown I worked to find settings that were optimal for me. Obviously I would like to know why a monolithic company with hundreds of employees are shipping a game with default steering wheel settings that are completely unusable and might be the source of several refunds for the more casual racers among us, but I felt I was able to get something that felt right with the tools at hand – so I’ve provided my personal configuration to ensure as few people get stuck as possible. Again, my complaints are with the physics engine itself. Even with a wheel configuration that I found to be perfect, I just didn’t enjoy the actual on-track experience. It was f....ng terrible.

....Once you’ve either finished or outright quit an event, the game plays a semi-unskippable cinematic sequence displaying the plethora of awards Forza 7 won during E3 2017 of this year, and running down a list of supporting features before finally giving you the option to dismiss it all about fifteen to twenty seconds later. Of course, you’re not even thrown directly back to the menu so you can continue to f..k with your wheel settings and repeat the process ad nauseam, you’re then taken to a screen in which you’re given the option of pre-ordering one of the three variants of Forza 7. This was absolutely painful to sit through.

And maybe it would have been acceptable if behind the wheel, Forza 7 was pretty competent, and didn’t require a solid hour of tweaking. My problem is that I’m forced to watch a game brag about awards that I personally didn’t understand how it received in the first place. In my almost twenty years of PC sim racing, some titles have come unbelievably close to what it’s like to drive in a competitive setting. Forza Motorsport 7, by comparison, is the furthest from reality I have ever experienced. I still think a lot of people will have some fun with it for the light RPG and car collecting aspects, and that’s fine. But after my time with the demo, anyone who honestly sits down and tries to say Forza 7 is anywhere near realistic, or drives anything like an actual car, is an actual idiot. I fail to understand how there’s this much money and hype pumped into what’s basically a first-party Xbox title at this point, only for the on-track product to be so farcical.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hopefully these are just problems with the beta version and things get tightened up and corrected with the final release.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I finally got to spend some time with both the Xbox and the PC version of the demos. In both versions, with all the assists off, set to simulation, and using my Thrustmaster TX wheel with default settings, the Porsche was absolutely impossible to control. Just a slight tap on the brakes and I was spinning wildly. It was so bad in both Xbox and PC that I gave up. Hard to believe they would release a demo in such a state. I am sure they have at least one person on their team that drives with all assists off and uses a Thrustmaster TX wheel. It was the only wheel available for Xbox One for the first year or so of it's life and probably still the most widely used.

However, I actually enjoyed the truck racing at Mugello, and while big rigs like that are not going to easily spin out like the Porsche, I was thankful that it felt a much better driving/racing experience than the Porsche. I really enjoyed Mugello being back in the game, always have loved that track.

The Nissan was driveable, but while the demo nicely showed off the the changing weather, time of day effects, I did not have to change my driving style in the slightest. It did not matter if it was dry track, monsoon, or drying track, it all felt exactly the same, but looked pretty. I just drove as hard as I could through standing puddles and nothing happened. I did not like the FM6 implemetation where the puddles were always in the exact same place, and always caused you to aquaplane no matter what, but this implementation in the FM7 demo seemed to be just for show. Hopefully, this is not how rain will work in game.

The steering controller, force feedback settings were also a mixed bag. I loved the out of the box ffb and controller settings for FM6 with my Thrustmaster TX, but I was in the minority on this, as most people thought it was bad. Unfortunately, I thought how the FM7 demo felt out of the box was not enjoyable, but I have not done any tweaking at all. Interestingly enough though, the controller/ffb default settings for FM7 on the PC felt really good out of the box and I am using the exact same wheel/pedal setup (literally moved it from the Xbox to the PC). Strange that they would feel so different. However, I am having a similar experience with Project Cars 2, so maybe there is just that much of a difference on how Xbox One does FFB vs. how the PC does ffb.

Anyway, I am greatly holding out hope that the FM7 demo is just not well tuned and not indicative of the final product. Last year I was underwhelmed by the FH3 demo, and ultimately I think it is now the best of the 3 horizon games. I also hope that this is not some sign of a major change in how Turn 10 is doing physics modeling. I have always thought they gave a nice balance of semi-realistic, believable, yet driveable and enjoyable physics. It would be sad if this is something that can't be fixed given the massive amounts of cool cars, tracks, licensing, etc. that they have with FM7. Turn 10 has also shown over they years that they will support their products and they do listen to the community (for example, ultimately abandoning the horrible micro transaction model that was initially introduced with FM5).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Certainly not going to post much more about PCars 2 around here, but my experience with the full release of that on PC was the polar opposite.

I have zero interest in Forza 7, especially after reading this...wow.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:Certainly not going to post much more about PCars 2 around here, but my experience with the full release of that on PC was the polar opposite.

I was about to post in Racing Sims thread about my all nighter with Project Cars 2 in VR on PC and on Xbox One. Bottom Line: I am loving it so far.... :) (VINTAGE INDYCARS!) Are you saying you are not having a good experience so far with PCars 2? Please do post your impressions as they are always greatly appreciated!:)

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Was looking forward to this game when the Xbox One X releases, will definitely hold out until a review of the full game now. :(
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Certainly not going to post much more about PCars 2 around here, but my experience with the full release of that on PC was the polar opposite.

I was about to post in Racing Sims thread about my all nighter with Project Cars 2 in VR on PC and on Xbox One. Bottom Line: I am loving it so far.... :) (VINTAGE INDYCARS!) Are you saying you are not having a good experience so far with PCars 2? Please do post your impressions as they are always greatly appreciated!:)
Nah, just seemed to be a lot of hate for the dev team and everything else. I was absolutely blown away by the handling right out of the gates without touching a thing on the wheel. I did my normal "dial back FF before hitting the track" and it felt off. Went back and reset it to default strength and it was glorious. You can FEEL the side flex in the tires...and I haven't even fired up VR yet. I was only playing on a normal monitor.

It's a bummer about Forza 7, though. Wonder if the pressure was there to release in this window because of PCars2, Nascar Heat 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Need for Speed Payback, etc.?

That's crazy, though...Forza was the one title you could always plan on having impeccable controls right out of the gate.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

DChaps wrote:

Would love to hear some expanded thoughts from the pair of you on PCars 2, fellas. After the difficulties I had with the XB1 original at launch, I've been holding off until I hear the opinions of folk I know I can trust. I will, however, be bound to the XB1 controller - setting the wheel up isn't an option for me at the moment.

That means I played the Forza 7 demo on a pad too, but ended up in broadly the same place as Don. I had the opposite problem with the Porsche, finding it impossible to get the front end anywhere near a corner to start with, and while I've got some way to figuring out ways around that, the thing is still a rotten car to use as a showcase for the game. The Dubai track used for the Porsche race seems to be designed to show off the way different surfaces have different frictional properties - at least, I'm assuming that's why there's sand blowing all over the track through the final section of the course - but I can't actually feel any difference, so not sure if I'm misreading that or if the feature isn't up to scratch just yet.

The trucks were good fun. Much easier to win in than either of the other vehicles featured, and I suspect the interior cabin noise would make me want to scoop my eardrums out in fairly short order, but good fun. There's something oddly insubstantial about them, though, an absence of depth that makes them incredibly straightforward to drive and perhaps explains why I was able to win in one. Whether I'd get much mileage out of them in the longer term, I'm not especially sure, but for a quick blast they were enjoyable enough.

The Nissan sportscar in changeable weather at the Nurburgring is a terrific tech demo for the weather and lighting effects. I'm sure it was used as such at one of the trade shows this year, maybe E3 or Gamescom or something like that. I thought the weather made a bit of difference to how I needed to drive but not a huge amount and nothing like as much as Forza 6; it's possible that I changed my style in expectation of the grip level changing rather than as a reaction to it, in fact, which is something I need to revisit having read Don's thoughts. I know I didn't feel any great enhancements over the handling model in Forza 6, nor was I struck by any huge changes in the Drivatar behaviour.

Other points of interest: Turn 10 look as though they've gone to some lengths to make the front end and UI less clinical and staid. You can now, for example, select your avatar's racing overalls before each race. You can even dress them up as a biker, or a police officer, or an astronaut. I'm not entirely sure how that makes me feel, even though I've had a good while to ponder it, as the load times on an original XB1 are meaty indeed.

If you're planning on hooking an XBox One X up to a 4K set, that Nurburgring race will be the kind of thing you'll use to show it off. It looks brilliant on my standard One through a 4 year old Samsung covered in my daughter's adhesive fingerprints, so I could imagine it blowing me away on better tech. What I couldn't imagine prior to playing this demo was being actively put off purchasing Forza 7.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Wasn't going to try the demo but after the above bad review had to check it out and it is back on my radar, don't have a steering wheel so can't comment on those problems with it, feel good to me with a controller, looks and sounds great in HD and can't wait to see it in 4k.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Cashed out 40 bucks worth of xbox credits with bing last night and splurged on the digital Ultimate Edition, first time buying anything other than the regular edition of either Forza or the Forza Horizon games. :mrgreen: