Madden 20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Madden 20

Post by MizzouRah »

TCrouch wrote:After a dozen full games or so (and I mean FULL games....15 minute quarters, 10 second runoff, still takes less than an hour now), I absolutely love what they did with the player control. Instead of doing pirouettes trying to get my user-controlled LB into the proper location while playing defense, I feel like I can absolutely LOCK DOWN my area of the field (or, while running the ball, hit the precise lane I want or juke a charging safety at the last second, but I'm going to focus on defense in this post).

I'll try to keep this semi-short (not likely), but backstory: for years, I felt I could play LB or Safety and do whatever I wanted. The control was flawless, where I could bait both human and CPU QBs into doing things I wanted them to see, and then make them pay for it. Somewhere (a few Maddens ago), that went away, and I couldn't user for crap anymore. I couldn't come to grips with the animation style or what. I'd know what I'd want to do, but I couldn't get there or I'd overrun plays trying to shift between a burst and strafe. It got to be where I'd rather just play games doing offense only, because defense wasn't much fun for me. It felt like whatever I did, even if I made a perfect play call, I'd manage to screw it up with my user. And I couldn't win on the DL, either, so I was just a passive bystander on D. This year, that is completely gone, restoring my faith in my ability to play defense.

While it's not QUITE at that "early years" level since the QB throwing trajectories are fixed, I feel in complete control of my player all the time. No more weird ice-skating small movement "circle" trying to turn and run. He'll plant a foot and cut the direction I need him to cut.

This means I can man the middle, keep an eye on the RB in the flat, and the instant the QB turns his feet and cocks his arm, I'm breaking at the RB like a missile. It leads to a ton of -2 yard gains/No gain/1 or 2 yard gain plays. When there are short completions, I can easily make the tackle by squaring up and using A to drop them. I don't think I've missed more than a handful of open field tackles in all of those games combined, and my user-controlled LBs routinely get anywhere from 12 to 20 total tackles per game. Finally, I have tackling machines that are up for "Best LB" rewards, and XP gains for development.

Pass rushers actually do some work, and you can really confuse younger QBs by calling all of those weird zone blitzes you'd never do in previous versions of Madden (everybody except the LE rushing, and that LE dropping back into a hook zone? That's a nightmare before, but really seems to confuse lower-AWR QBs in Madden 20).

All in all, I've had an absolute BLAST playing both sides of the ball so far this year. I played 8 or 9 games in Exhibition before starting on my franchise, and only finished the preseason games in their totality. I'll start the regular season tonight, but so far I'm WAY more into this version of Madden than I have been for the past 4 or 5 versions.
Finally finished my 7th season with Madden 19. Beat Jon Gruden who is now the HC of the Baltimore Ravens, he took Derek Carr with him and signed Julio Jones. We won 30-22 and I had won 2 SB's, 3 NFC Championships since taking over the Cardinals in 2018. What a fantastic game Madden 19 is.

Figured it's a good time to retire the game and start a new journey as the HC of the Buffalo Bills once Madden 20 has a patch under its belt and a couple roster updates.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote: Figured it's a good time to retire the game and start a new journey as the HC of the Buffalo Bills once Madden 20 has a patch under its belt and a couple roster updates.
Game plays pretty fantastic right now, I'm scared of what the patches are going to do once the competitive crowds vaginas start leaking
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I am enjoying this year's game as the pass game is better and I don't feel like the linebackers are jumping routes when the receiver should be wide open. I love the RPO plays but still need to learn them better.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Enjoying the game myself a lot but wish they would stop wasting time on modes like Longshot and QB1. I'm not sure why anyone would play this mode more than once. The AI can't run the ball and just tossing up 40 passes game after game gets stale real quickly.

Finally getting into MUT so I can see the appeal of that but seems like the dev time on these back of the box one or two editions and they are gone modes are a waste of time, in my opinion.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've only had time for a couple of games but I'm really enjoying it so far. The improvements to game play are fantastic and it plays buttery smooth.

Love the pacing now with no walk up to the LOS and no more of those coach shots after each play. Even the subtle shots of the stadium after each quarter are a nice touch.

Looking forward to playing more...

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played a bit more over the past week. Game is a lot of fun and I'm really trying to stay away from all the b.s. over at OS and Youtube. People can really pick a part a game and ruin an enjoyable experience. Of course, I'm playing with the Chiefs and if you give Mahomes some space to run, he's dangerous a heck in the open field. That said, the CPU plays intelligently and will shut that down eventually and I'll have to mix up my game plan appropriately.

There's still some legacy issues with the game and I wish they'd fix the ugly clipping of players bodies going through one another's after plays are over. But that's all petty stuff.

I can see myself running through the 10 hours pretty quickly and picking up the game before the actual season starts.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

EA's continued focus on MUT and the money making machine that it is, is leaving players like me behind. I get it! It generates them a s***-ton of revenue, but they've done a terrible job of even cleaning up what they've removed to try and force players that direction.

I play online H2H almost exclusively. I dabble a little bit in franchise, but really I just primarily play H2H games. They've removed all of the stats from that mode other than win/loss record and ranking (to which I don't care about that either). The menus for scouting, comparing stats against your last opponent, their quit/disconnect rate, your last 10 games, accrued stats over your career etc are there, but it's all blank. While they've removed all of the actual stat tracking the menu is still there. So essentially they did a shitty job of ripping stuff out of the game. It's crazy to me. Ok, you want people to play MUT, but couldn't you just leave the stuff in there that's been there for years? And if you insist on removing it from the game as a forcing function to get more people over to MUT you could at least have removed the menus for it instead of teasing us as to what was once there? [/end rant]
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Good stuff in this update it seems.

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/mad ... -august-14
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:Good stuff in this update it seems.

I'm 2-0 with the Bills so far and having a blast playing post patch. Of course I traded Josh Allen for Drew Lock since I'm a huge Mizzou fan and all. (don't kill me Bills fans)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:

I'm 2-0 with the Bills so far and having a blast playing post patch. Of course I traded Josh Allen for Drew Lock since I'm a huge Mizzou fan and all. (don't kill me Bills fans)
You are absolved. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I commend anybody who can win a game with the Bills.

I'm a decent Madden player, and I absolutely could not figure out Josh Allen. Seems like he has a cannon with no accuracy attached to his shoulder, and the line couldn't protect anybody. They couldn't stop the run unless I manually did it myself every snap.

Then last night I had to play AGAINST them playing as the Panthers in a CFM, preseason week 2. Everything I saw when controlling the Bills presented itself with the CPU, too. Both Allen and Barkley were under 50% completions, but Allen threw 3 INTs, 2 of which were pick sixes by the same CB. And they gave up 270 rushing yards.

The fact that anybody can win with that team is absolutely amazing.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I played QB1 and got picked up by the Broncos and had decent success over the 4 seasons I played. Started another QB1 (waiting for opening day rosters to start a franchise) and got picked up by the Dolphins. Totally different game. The Fins suck. The difference in the players is easy to see and is going to make me adjust my gameplan.
TCrouch wrote:I commend anybody who can win a game with the Bills.

I'm a decent Madden player, and I absolutely could not figure out Josh Allen. Seems like he has a cannon with no accuracy attached to his shoulder, and the line couldn't protect anybody. They couldn't stop the run unless I manually did it myself every snap.

Then last night I had to play AGAINST them playing as the Panthers in a CFM, preseason week 2. Everything I saw when controlling the Bills presented itself with the CPU, too. Both Allen and Barkley were under 50% completions, but Allen threw 3 INTs, 2 of which were pick sixes by the same CB. And they gave up 270 rushing yards.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pk500 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:

You are absolved. :)
Thanks my friend! ;)

We are (2-2) now with losses to the Bengals and Patriots. I am amazed at how young this team is though.. lots of room to grow!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

TCrouch wrote:I commend anybody who can win a game with the Bills.

Well I lost to the Bengals and just lost to the Patriots, 31-24 but I was down 24-0 at one point. Lock misses a ton of throws but hopefully grows over the season. McCoy is a beast though, had a 64 yard run with him against the Patriots and he finished with 164 yards.

We are (2-2) but this team is really young and seems to be growing each week. Plus I made a few trades and now have (2) 2020 1st round picks. Micah Hyde is an absolute beast! I also picked up Dez Bryant, he's been decent so far.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/mad ... -deep-dive

Honestly no f***in words can describe how silly I think this is.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Had fun with Bills but I'm really looking forward to the KR/PR SS traits coming soon so I guess I'll start over when that drops along with the 53 man roster.

I've changed my mind on the team though, Miami will be a great canvas to paint whatever way I want to. Probably going to start with trading Fitzpatrick for Mizzou QB Drew Lock who I'll start over Rosen since it's an all out rebuild.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Madden 20 is free to play with XBL Gold but I looked everywhere in the description but it doesn't say how long the free play is good till.
Last edited by Rodster on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Free to play weekend only, trying to get people to try this new mode
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:Free to play weekend only, trying to get people to try this new mode
Thanks, Dan. I looked in the description and I couldn't find that info

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:Free to play weekend only, trying to get people to try this new mode
Thanks, Dan. I looked in the description and I couldn't find that info
It is what they posted on twitter.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Started a new CFM last night with the Bengals, trading for Drew Lock, of course.

I actually played my first game on AP defaults 15M/12S accel, 55 injuries, 75 speed parity and xfactor/ss trait system OFF.

Lost 36-24 to the Steelers (started with live rosters week 4 injuries on) but wow was it a fun game without the xfactor/ss stuff turned on.

I still knew who the stars were but it wasn't thrown in my face and actually felt more like an NFL game.

Top 2 RB's went down for the Steelers and 3rd string RB Benny Snell Jr ran for 114 yards on me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MizzouRah wrote: I actually played my first game on AP defaults 15M/12S accel, 55 injuries, 75 speed parity and xfactor/ss trait system OFF.
Wait you can turn the x-factor bullshit off? I mean like not use it or just turn off the display?
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Danimal wrote:
MizzouRah wrote: I actually played my first game on AP defaults 15M/12S accel, 55 injuries, 75 speed parity and xfactor/ss trait system OFF.
Wait you can turn the x-factor bullshit off? I mean like not use it or just turn off the display?
You can turn it off in the league options.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

2nd game with the xf/ss traits turned off.

Lost 16-13 against the Cardinals but what a game. I've never had a score this low.. quite refreshing.

With Lock injured and Dalton gone, my QB situation is terrible. There are two top QB's in the draft though, thinking Lock might never get a chance to be nothing but a backup.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You read some of the recent impressions about how Madden has become more realistic, then you read sh*t like this where a guy wins a Madden Tourney with a run only offense (as in didn't even throw a pass the entire tourney) and uses a left handed punter as QB. :lol:

https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/29184866