Digital Sportspage

Talk about sports gaming
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 8506
The demo is out. A whopping 27 gigs. This is one beautiful game! Further, the driving is smoother imo and makes it much more fun to drive. I only played the intro, so I'm curious what others think...

_________________
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 32907
Location: Syracuse, N.Y.
Gorgeous graphics. Great music. Incredible car lineup. The addition of the change in seasons. All plusses.

But the driving model remains far too easy. The brake pedal is almost optional.

I long for the driving model of the original Forza Horizon. More permissive and arcadish than Forza but still requiring the occasional deft flick of opposite-lock steering and dab of brake pedal.

Go ahead, call me an elitist prick, but Horizon is the racing franchise for people who don't like or play racing games. Fills a big niche, one in which I don't live.

I'll stick to F1 2018, WRC 7, Forza 7, Isle of Man TT and NASCAR Heat.

_________________
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XBL Gamertag: pk4425


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 8506
...elitist prick... :D

_________________
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
Posts: 12986
Teal wrote:
...elitist prick... :D

I was about to type that and Teal beat me to it. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
Starting 5
Starting 5
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 am
Posts: 801
Location: Oceanside, CA
I really want to like this series, but I have a hard time coming to grips with a racing game where roads are optional. The point to point races through fields and the like is pure fantasy, especially when the handling is so floaty. It's less about driving strategy and more about sliding around and hanging on. Then you invariably hit a tree and are able to bounce off and continue... Might as well put machine guns on the cars and let us shoot at each other while were at it...

This is the part where I admit that I have bought and played every version, and will eventually pick this one up as well. (They sold me with the seasons). :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:21 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 3560
If it's like last year, the full game after a patch or two will be vastly different from the demo. Don't know why they take that approach. That said, I have been playing the Xbox One Enhanced version of the original Forza Horizon and wow, it is quite the perfect mix of arcade and sim. It's Rivals setup is superior to the recent Forza games as well. I am an elitist prick when it comes to racing sims too, but I do love the Horizon series. I rank them as follows - FH1, FH3, FH2 - Still downloading the demo. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 11592
Location: Chicago, Illinois
I always get confused with this series. Is this the one where you're at a big festival and do all sort of races and other fun stuff. Or is this the other mores serious one?

_________________
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 32907
Location: Syracuse, N.Y.
Danimal wrote:
I always get confused with this series. Is this the one where you're at a big festival and do all sort of races and other fun stuff. Or is this the other mores serious one?


Horizon is the festival-based franchise on fictitious open-world roads. An arcade racer. Forza is the car- and motorsport-based franchise on real and fantasy tracks. A simcade racer.

_________________
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XBL Gamertag: pk4425


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 6954
Location: Houston, TX
It's the festival one. I had "some" fun with it last night, but this series has always been a pain for me to control with a wheel. They have 900 degree support out of the box, and on the road, it's great. As soon as you lose traction, though, I have to spin the wheel all over the place to try to catch it, which most games and sims don't require. This leads to a lot of lazy spin-outs as I realize they want you to go full opposite lock (not just a minor counter steer and slightly lower throttle application to catch a spin). I always end up going back and changing the wheel to 360 or 540 degree radius, but it's a series that just....I don't know, doesn't quite sit right with me.

I barely played the last one, but I loved the first two (especially on a controller). I think the biggest problem I have is that I always race from the cockpit view, and the cockpit view in this game is something that you literally cannot see out of for 3/4 of a race. If you're going through grape fields or crashing through fences off road, you cannot see a thing. It's built for that external camera, plowing through the country side, flying around and looking at the scenery.

I had more of the same last night, especially with that "jump" stunt. I had no idea what was going on, when I was going to land, or anything, because all I saw out of the windshield was sky. Then the dirt race came, and all I could see was dust and bushes (then tree trunks). I think I've just gotten tired of trying to square-peg-round-hole my way in this series. The handling is fun and easy (but never using the brake pedal is odd), but to really have fun with it, I almost HAVE to use the external camera, which I really dislike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 6034
Location: The Illadelph
I also don't know what to make of this series. I like sim-cade--ie iRacing is too much for me, but if you're not using brakes and hitting apexes it's not racing to me.

I really liked 1 and have fond memories of DSP online races on the big course (Goliath?), but I skipped 3 because I saw too many clips of people blasting an exotic road car like a Lamborghini through a swamp at 100 MPH.

_________________
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 21084
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm not sure why anyone would go into this series thinking it had anything to do with a realistic driving model (PK???). The first one was semi-close to realistic, but I think that's just because they ported over whatever version was in Forza at the time and just made it open world. This game is about fun and ridiculous and exploration, not a serious driving model at all. They want it to be as accessible as possible to the people that DON'T play Forza as well as giving sim driving fans something to have fun with, without being too serious. I mean you're racing planes and stuff...if you didn't have a "loose" grip/driving model, that would be impossible.

Them adding a Hot Wheels expansion last year tells you all you need to know about the seriousness of the series.

I see why some sim fans wouldn't like it...sure, but to me, it's about just driving around, trying to get all of the roads, billboards, XP points, barn finds, speed traps and stunt areas...not specifically for the driving itself. That's just a vehicle to exploration (see what I did there).

And Terry is right on both of his accounts. Do not play with a wheel and always use an external cam. LOL. Found out the same thing with FH3.

I popped on the demo last night, played for about ten minutes just to check it out a bit, now it's deleted, just waiting for the real release. I put WAY more time into the Horizon series than I do any other "driving" game so I'm looking forward to it. Guess I'm the target demo. LOL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 11592
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Thanks this is the series I actually like because I'm not a racing guy. Is this Play Anywhere? ie. PC and XB1X? Can't tell you how much that had allowed me to play State of Decay 2.

_________________
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 8668
Location: St. Louis
dbdynsty25 wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would go into this series thinking it had anything to do with a realistic driving model (PK???). The first one was semi-close to realistic, but I think that's just because they ported over whatever version was in Forza at the time and just made it open world. This game is about fun and ridiculous and exploration, not a serious driving model at all. They want it to be as accessible as possible to the people that DON'T play Forza as well as giving sim driving fans something to have fun with, without being too serious. I mean you're racing planes and stuff...if you didn't have a "loose" grip/driving model, that would be impossible.

Them adding a Hot Wheels expansion last year tells you all you need to know about the seriousness of the series.

I see why some sim fans wouldn't like it...sure, but to me, it's about just driving around, trying to get all of the roads, billboards, XP points, barn finds, speed traps and stunt areas...not specifically for the driving itself. That's just a vehicle to exploration (see what I did there).

And Terry is right on both of his accounts. Do not play with a wheel and always use an external cam. LOL. Found out the same thing with FH3.

I popped on the demo last night, played for about ten minutes just to check it out a bit, now it's deleted, just waiting for the real release. I put WAY more time into the Horizon series than I do any other "driving" game so I'm looking forward to it. Guess I'm the target demo. LOL.


Well said DB. I do love the occasional racing sim,but I'd much prefer the Horizon series with its arcade style feel. Different strokes for different folks. Looking forward to the release date.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 8668
Location: St. Louis
Danimal wrote:
Thanks this is the series I actually like because I'm not a racing guy. Is this Play Anywhere? ie. PC and XB1X? Can't tell you how much that had allowed me to play State of Decay 2.


Yep, and if you have Game Pass, this game will be included so you don't have the shell out for the retail version if you're only going to play a month or two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 11592
Location: Chicago, Illinois
sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Thanks this is the series I actually like because I'm not a racing guy. Is this Play Anywhere? ie. PC and XB1X? Can't tell you how much that had allowed me to play State of Decay 2.


Yep, and if you have Game Pass, this game will be included so you don't have the shell out for the retail version if you're only going to play a month or two.


Haven't pulled the trigger on Game Pass at this point.

_________________
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:00 am
Posts: 8668
Location: St. Louis
Danimal wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Thanks this is the series I actually like because I'm not a racing guy. Is this Play Anywhere? ie. PC and XB1X? Can't tell you how much that had allowed me to play State of Decay 2.


Yep, and if you have Game Pass, this game will be included so you don't have the shell out for the retail version if you're only going to play a month or two.


Haven't pulled the trigger on Game Pass at this point.


Might still be on sale for $2 a month for 2 months.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 21084
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
sportdan30 wrote:
Might still be on sale for $2 a month for 2 months.


It's $3 for one month right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 32907
Location: Syracuse, N.Y.
TCrouch wrote:
I had more of the same last night, especially with that "jump" stunt. I had no idea what was going on, when I was going to land, or anything, because all I saw out of the windshield was sky. Then the dirt race came, and all I could see was dust and bushes (then tree trunks). I think I've just gotten tired of trying to square-peg-round-hole my way in this series. The handling is fun and easy (but never using the brake pedal is odd), but to really have fun with it, I almost HAVE to use the external camera, which I really dislike.


Same. Further validation in my mind of my earlier statement: Horizon is a fantastic franchise that is the racing game for people who don't play racing games.

_________________
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XBL Gamertag: pk4425


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 32907
Location: Syracuse, N.Y.
Naples39 wrote:
I really liked 1 and have fond memories of DSP online races on the big course (Goliath?), but I skipped 3 because I saw too many clips of people blasting an exotic road car like a Lamborghini through a swamp at 100 MPH.


Those Goliath races were EPIC. :)

FH 1 was one of the best simcade racers I've ever played. The closest thing I've played to the king, Project Gotham Racing 2. But the series' driving model became a bit too watered down for me in FH 2 and has gone full Need For Speed in FH 3 and FH 4.

Give me another Midtown Madness or a new Burnout game, and I'll jump right back on the arcade train. :)

_________________
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XBL Gamertag: pk4425


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2083
Location: St. Louis
Forza Horizon is the SSX of racing games. The game has become more fun as it has drifted away from Forza's physics, becoming a social experience, whether you play online with others, or just score chase. Seriously, the biggest problem I had with the first game was that it felt like a d***** bag simulator. Because it felt more like Forza, it seemed obnoxious to rack up points by driving dangerously by buzzing lose to cars and wrecking any sign you find. But as the physics and feel drifted more to Crazi Taxi, that feeling went away.

In Forza, I really don't use music when I race much, but in Horizon it's fun to just play music and cruise all over the countryside. It looks and sounds fantastic, and is a great game to chill out to. It's also great fun in a party.

As for the demo, I think it felt exactly like what I was hoping for. I'm a little bummed that the end of Groove Music means the end of custom playlists. It was kind of nice for your playlist to be one of the stations you listen to. But using Spotify is almost as good.

I found a cool stream to run through, and I realized that come winter, that same area is going to crazy on ice. I feel like seasons are going to be a really cool feature.

_________________
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 am
Posts: 11592
Location: Chicago, Illinois
dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
Might still be on sale for $2 a month for 2 months.


It's $3 for one month right now.


Where?

_________________
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 8506
I'm getting it in game pass, but still, I'm looking forward to it. I have grit my teeth and tried to slog through "Sim racing" games, but it's time to admit that, with the exception of NASCAR and WRC, I just don't enjoy sim racing. It's a chore. So yeah, Horizon is right up my alley. Enough of a driving model to give the sense of driving an actual car (opposed to something like Burnout Paradise), but not really having to worry about tires, weight transfer, and all the nuts and bolts stuff. Love this series.

_________________
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:00 am
Posts: 3560
I know that I suck, but I am definitely having to use the brakes with my wheel/pedal setup using the McLaren Senna. I am just a wuss? :)

The Hot Wheels Expansion for FH3 was really fun and underrated. It was like like an updated version of Whiplash/Fatal Racing, one of my favorite 90's PC racing games.

The graphics for this FH4 Demo on my TCL XB1X are pretty amazing!

PS - I play all Forza Horizon games with a wheel and always in cockpit cam, and love it. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 21084
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Danimal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
Might still be on sale for $2 a month for 2 months.


It's $3 for one month right now.


Where?


When I go to the Store it's offered to me right at the bottom of the screen. Wonder if the deals are all username specific?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Forza Horizon 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 8506
I LOVE the Hot Wheels expansion. Hope they do something like that in 4.

_________________
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group