eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020

Post by pk500 »

Zlax45 wrote:Literally the first goal I scored in PES 19 was a near post flick on goal from a corner. Something similar to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO837CeoEyU

I forgot how special it was to score a great goal in PES!
Gianfranco Zola! I hate Chelsea, but what a wonderful little man he was on the pitch. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Master league trailer.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Quick observations as I played three games...I scored a few different types of goals from some great passing to taking a shot from 30+ yards out. The computer scored a goal off both posts and then tapped in a ball once and another one was off a free kick as they got to the second ball to head it by my keeper. I feel the computer doesn’t foul enough yet but there do foul you on occasion. I am enjoying it more than the FIFA 20 which I was in.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Loving the game. Played the FIFA 20 demo too and the gameplay here is so much more realistic, organic, it feels just like footie. I got the PS4 version, got already the Kits from PES Universe and will be patching everything on. Here’s a little clip on my tying goal, a beauty by Salah. Gameplay was on pass assist 1 and top player level.

Commentary is decent too.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Loving the game. Played the FIFA 20 demo too and the gameplay here is so much more realistic, organic, it feels just like footie. I got the PS4 version, got already the Kits from PES Universe and will be patching everything on. Here’s a little clip on my tying goal, a beauty by Salah. Gameplay was on pass assist 1 and top player level.

Who's doing the commentary this year, Drury and Co.?

Some of the reviews on Steam say that the game play has changed where the game speed has been upped and it makes the player animations seem erratic and choppy. Any truth to that? If so does reducing the game speed improve that area? I'll probably wait for a sale before buying and i'm decided whether to go PC or PS4 this year?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

PES 2020 is definitely faster than FIFA 20, both on default levels. The worm has turned, as FIFA always used to be the speed racer.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
10spro wrote:Loving the game. Played the FIFA 20 demo too and the gameplay here is so much more realistic, organic, it feels just like footie. I got the PS4 version, got already the Kits from PES Universe and will be patching everything on. Here’s a little clip on my tying goal, a beauty by Salah. Gameplay was on pass assist 1 and top player level.

Who's doing the commentary this year, Drury and Co.?

Some of the reviews on Steam say that the game play has changed where the game speed has been upped and it makes the player animations seem erratic and choppy. Any truth to that? If so does reducing the game speed improve that area? I'll probably wait for a sale before buying and i'm decided whether to go PC or PS4 this year?
Not sure of their names, but when I mentioned decent, they do their job but overtime it may sound a bit repetitive in certain plays over the pitch. My disappointment is that they took the Spanish commentators out and instead added a couple of Asian languages (I am sure Japanese is one of them) and added an Arabic one as well. If you understand those languages, I am sure that the commentary will be spicier than those two blokes together.

I am playing on the PS4 and to be honest, I don’t think the game plays faster than last year. In fact, it’s a tad slower than 19 which I love. Whether it’s the new a Stadium camera or the fluid animations, the pace is just perfect as it feels more organic, life sim like experience on the field.

Definitely more immersive and best PES edition yet.

What you probably read is that in certain plays, especially when your players are too close together, the player that you choose to take the ball inexplicably seems to do a dummy and the play gets loose as the AI closes on you. So player switching at times feels a bit awry.

Not often, but they were those odd moments, where you knew that the ball was directed at a specific player but the receiver let it go. So checking your pass settings is very important.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Of all the reviews that I have come across so far, this one pretty much summarizes my thoughts. A beautiful game going back to the original roots that we've come to love from Konami from the PS2 days, Winning Eleven.

Notice how they also mention the speed of the game has slowed yet a tiny bit and for me it’s just about perfect.

Don't let the lack of full licenses bother you folks if you have the PC or PS4 version.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/efootb ... 0-6417297/

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

The PES Universe option file is outstanding. Worth every penny. And I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just a very happy PES 2020 player.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Terrific, detailed review of PES 2020 from the brilliant Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... f-football

I think PES 2020 and FIFA 20 both have their share of flaws, based on my play of the demos and full FIFA 20 game.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I’ve read complaints that PES 2020 is playing different than what was shown for the demo.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I’ve read complaints that PES 2020 is playing different than what was shown for the demo.
Konami has a weird way of final products being very different to demos.

I HATED the demos for PES 2018 and 2019 yet LOVED the retail versions of both games. I enjoyed the PES 2020 demo, so recent history would indicate I may dislike the retail version. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I didn’t notice any differences between the demo and the retail game. But the small glitch that eurogamer refers to and I mentioned it a couple of posts above is there although not often. I see it in the offensive zone when the player you choose to receive the ball goes a bit awry and it becomes a loose ball between your player and the AI.

Online still depends on people’s conection which is sad, but with my club and master league modes it’s a fine simulation of the beautiful game.

Loving it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Here's an explanation from the Dev team on what has changed from the demo to the retail game.

https://m.facebook.com/pes.devteam/post ... 7312703248

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

On sale at Steam for $29.99

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This is a seriously good football game, probably the best they have done since the PS2 days. The ball physics are unreal, the CPU actually makes mistakes and they actually have a vertical long game which is great to see. Aggressive tackling if timed wrong can get you a yellow card. It was nice to see the CPU, outside the penalty box, nail a free kick into the net (Kane Tottenham). I was able to fight back and score a goal to tie and that's how the game ended. Nothing in the game felt scripted.

I had my doubts about the game because while it was downloading I only could select ARG and POR. The CPU defense was brutal taking the ball away from your player. Aggressive tackling usually got you a yellow. I guess I must have been playing the demo because once the game completed it played VASTLY different.

Another nice touch is seeing the real names in the EPL instead of their city names. Gotta love Game Pass, nice gift now hoping for F1 2019. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'll be the contrarian, Rod. FIFA is the better game this year. While you're right about the organic nature of the game and the ball physics, here are the game-breaking flaws of PES eFootball 2020 for me:

-- It's FAR too easy to rip through the midfield in this game. The game encourages constant counterattacking because CPU midfield defense has more holes than a piece of fine Swiss cheese. There's no need for patient midfield buildup because it's not needed. This is more of an arcade soccer game than FIFA. Boggles my mind I'm typing that sentence.

-- Lackluster CPU teammate defense. I'm seeing my CPU teammates run away from the ball or make a poor defending decision far too often.

-- Money moves. It's still far too easy to do sidestep on the edge of the box, run across the top of the box and rip a shot. It's a money move that works far too often. It's also too easy to ping crosses in from the wings due to the lack of midfield defense. Wide offense works far too effectively.

-- Slide tackles almost always result in a card. Unrealistic.

-- Horrible commentary. It still hasn't been updated in close to five years. Drury and Beglin are AWFUL.

I was stoked that GamePass was offering PES eFootball 2020 so quickly. I far preferred PES to FIFA last year and played the hell out of it. But I've already removed eFootball 2020 from my hard drive after one weekend with it. It's just too much of an arcade game for me compared to FIFA, which requires far more thoughtful buildup on offense and has much tougher defense, not to mention the full license, more global stadiums and more compelling game modes.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I haven't bought FIFA now in a couple of years, been letdown way too many times. Last year saw a rash of complaints regarding cheese plays and terrible AI. So I passed on it this year after reading several user reviews. Maybe it's changed with recent patches. I'll see if I can find a cheap copy at Wally World in their Black Friday rack of unsold games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I haven't bought FIFA now in a couple of years, been letdown way too many times. Last year saw a rash of complaints regarding cheese plays and terrible AI. So I passed on it this year after reading several user reviews. Maybe it's changed with recent patches. I'll see if I can find a cheap copy at Wally World in their Black Friday rack of unsold games.
I'm not saying FIFA is great; it's not. But it's a better overall package than PES eFootball this year.

PES has just swung too much in the arcade, constant counterattack direction for me to recommend it over FIFA. If that style is people's cup of futbol, then drink it, by all means. It's fun to play because it's so wide open between the 18s. I just prefer FIFA. It's more tactical and requires more thought in the buildup this year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Is this the end of the line for PES? Pastapadre.com posted a link which shows that there will only be a 2021 season update and no new game this year.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/efoot ... verviewtab

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:25 pm
Is this the end of the line for PES? Pastapadre.com posted a link which shows that there will only be a 2021 season update and no new game this year.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/efoot ... verviewtab
The end for the franchise? I doubt it. This year for sure though. If confirmed, I have no issues with it as this years version played a fine game. My guess would be due to the current pandemic and probably Konami will be focusing mainly for the next gen consoles.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just as I thought, Konami may just have some update modes for the current PES 2020 edition but they are gearing up big time for the future of next gen consoles as they are switching to the Unreal engine for PES 2022.

Just a short video of Messi with no gameplay action so far but that’s very promising.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

No offense , but wow another graphical upgrade, yeh whatever next next gen. Let me know when they improve the AI so we not playing scripted scenarios disguised as game play. God forbid they program a defender to address the closest threat and not only in his zone or have forwards chase down a time wasting defender, you know act real.
Let me know otherwise im out. Not wasting anymore time or money on this stale crap.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A really good article on Konami admitting they screwed up the game transitioning from the PS2 to PS3/360 and it's the reason they are taking a year off and focusing on 2022. They will be switching to the Unreal Engine, no word if it's UE4 or UE5. Hopefully it's UE5. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... crossroads

Is this a screenshot teaser of the 2022 game? I don't know but if it is it looks really good.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I bought the 2021 update because of comments I read on Operation Sports saying that the game tweaks have made the gameplay much better, even more organic and one comment even said the game now feels more like Winning Eleven. I bought the ManU update from within the game because it was 20% off.

Anyone else planning to buy the season update?