Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Rodster »

I guess this deserves a thread of it's own since we'll no doubt hear about the PS5 this year followed by the next-gen XBOX. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/sony-r ... on-the-ps5

For this new console, the CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line, and contains eight cores of the new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture, if you want to get really granular with all the tech upgrades. The GPU however, will support ray tracing, a first for a games console.

While Cerny wouldn't go into the details of PlayStation's VR strategy with the upcoming console, he did say that "VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console."

Cerny started talking to developers about what they'd want from a new PlayStation console back in late 2015, and faster load times were a common answer. When loading up Insomniac's Spider-Man on a PS4 Pro, Cerny demonstrated that fast travel in the game took around 15 seconds. With the new console also running Spider-Man, fast traveling to and from the same spot, the time was cut down to less than one second. Impressive stuff.

Could Death Stranding launch on the PlayStation 5?
Aside from this, the next PlayStation console will still support discs, so don't worry about Sony ditching physical media. It will also support backwards compatibility with PS4 games, a welcome new feature that PS4 owners have been hoping for.

As of right now, there's no current launch window for the next-gen PlayStation console. Sony isn't planning to make any E3 announcements this year, but we can probably expect to hear more about its plans for the PS5 in the months ahead.
Last edited by Rodster on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PlayStation 5

Post by Danimal »

Really could give 2 shits about a new play station.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I'm happy to finally hear some real news about the next gen console rather than just rumors. I'm sure more news will be leaking out around E3, but this is nice start.

Thanks for posting the info.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:Really could give 2 shits about a new play station.
I figured you would but some of us do. :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Two other mentions about the PS5 specs:

1) Internal SSD for faster loading

2) 8K Support

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:Really could give 2 shits about a new play station.
I figured you would but some of us do. :lol:
I don't care because it is so far off it's not even worth discussing. This is 2 years off at best, so much could change. My understanding is they aren't even going to E3. No big loss since last years show was terrible and a decent amount of what they showed last year hasn't even come out.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:I don't care because it is so far off it's not even worth discussing. This is 2 years off at best, so much could change. My understanding is they aren't even going to E3. No big loss since last years show was terrible and a decent amount of what they showed last year hasn't even come out.
The press is thinking Sony will release it next year which makes sense if they want to undercut Microsoft again and make it the lead platform. We'll know more this E3 because supposedly MS will be there and will "could" make an announcement regarding the next-gen XBOX, that's if they decide to.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:I don't care because it is so far off it's not even worth discussing. This is 2 years off at best, so much could change. My understanding is they aren't even going to E3. No big loss since last years show was terrible and a decent amount of what they showed last year hasn't even come out.
The press is thinking Sony will release it next year which makes sense if they want to undercut Microsoft again and make it the lead platform. We'll know more this E3 because supposedly MS will be there and will "could" make an announcement regarding the next-gen XBOX, that's if they decide to.
The press is thinking that reporting this as a console war will lead you your clicking and sharing their links.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My understanding is Sony isn’t going to be at E3 because they are doing their own event for the PS5 right around the same time. I’m always down to hear some news about new consoles.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:My understanding is Sony isn’t going to be at E3 because they are doing their own event for the PS5 right around the same time. I’m always down to hear some news about new consoles.
Co signed 8)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

A this point I am far more interested in the PS7.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PlayStation 5 and Next Gen XBOX

Post by Rodster »

Price is speculated to be an issue because Sony is going with a high speed SSD. The press is thinking it's going to be at least $500 maybe more. Sony is saying just the opposite:

PS5's Price Will Be "Appealing," Says Sony
"I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Price is speculated to be an issue because Sony is going with a high speed SSD. The press is thinking it's going to be at least $500 maybe more. Sony is saying just the opposite:

PS5's Price Will Be "Appealing," Says Sony
"I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."
How is Sony saying the opposite? What Sony thinks is appealing may still be $500+, especially considering the "in light of its advance feature set" mention.

That sure as f*ck reads to me like, "Yep, this thing will be pricey. But it will do everything short of sucking your c*ck, so we think it's worth it."
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sure it could be pricy and even debut at $499. The X1X debuted at that price. The press has been speculating that because of the specs it could go higher. I think $499 is pretty much the top selling price point these days. We are already used to $59 games and I remember back in the Dreamcast days where games were pretty much $39, then Sony started selling games for $49.

People tend to accept certain prices as the norm. I expect the next Xbox to probably to sell for around the same price as the X1X.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:My understanding is Sony isn’t going to be at E3 because they are doing their own event for the PS5 right around the same time. I’m always down to hear some news about new consoles.
My information tells me that is incorrect but I guess we will see. The general consensus among industry people is Sony has nothing to show, this is smoke and mirrors and the earliest a new PS would launch is December of 2020.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
My information tells me that is incorrect but I guess we will see. The general consensus among industry people is Sony has nothing to show, this is smoke and mirrors and the earliest a new PS would launch is December of 2020.
And if that turns out to be true, I could see MS try and leapfrog Sony this time. This year’s E3 will tell us if we’ll see a new round of consoles next year and maybe all these spec leaks about the PS5 is because Sony thinks MS is ready to launch their new consoles next year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

All a moot point to me, anyways. Sony could release a PS5 with specs that could launch Elon Musk to Mars, and I'm still not leaving the Xbox ecosystem.

The one constant throughout the console wars since 2001 is that Microsoft absolutely DESTROYS Sony in online gaming through Xbox Live. My friendship with most of you guys has been cemented through gaming on Xbox Live.

That's not changing. Sony is showing or talking about nothing that will supplant the dominance of XBL. So it's game over for Sony for me until it can launch something that works as well as XBL and Microsoft's entire online ecosystem, such as GamePass.

Gaming for me is not about hardware and specs. It's about fun and friendship. MS delivers far more of both, mainly through Live.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:All a moot point to me, anyways. Sony could release a PS5 with specs that could launch Elon Musk to Mars, and I'm still not leaving the Xbox ecosystem.

The one constant throughout the console wars since 2001 is that Microsoft absolutely DESTROYS Sony in online gaming through Xbox Live. My friendship with most of you guys has been cemented through gaming on Xbox Live.

That's not changing. Sony is showing or talking about nothing that will supplant the dominance of XBL. So it's game over for Sony for me until it can launch something that works as well as XBL and Microsoft's entire online ecosystem, such as GamePass.

Gaming for me is not about hardware and specs. It's about fun and friendship. MS delivers far more of both, mainly through Live.
And you know what, that's totally fine. Those are all good reasons to stay with MS so no arguments from me. However there are still others who do get both consoles because of the exclusives on each and for me this round, I prefer the exclusives on the PS4. So next gen i'll probably pony up for both but this time i'll probably wait for the 2nd major revision aka "Pro" versions as the games already look good enough.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Same plan for me as last 2 generations: Next xbox on day 1, PS5 a few years later to play the exclusives.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:
And if that turns out to be true, I could see MS try and leapfrog Sony this time. This year’s E3 will tell us if we’ll see a new round of consoles next year and maybe all these spec leaks about the PS5 is because Sony thinks MS is ready to launch their new consoles next year.
I think it is Google is the reason for the sudden shift of transparency out of Sony. Microsoft would prefer to go disc less as well like Google but we all know that already. Either way there is nothing a new console from either vendor is going to offer me right now, faster speed and better HD aren't going to sell me.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:I think it is Google is the reason for the sudden shift of transparency out of Sony. Microsoft would prefer to go disc less as well like Google but we all know that already. Either way there is nothing a new console from either vendor is going to offer me right now, faster speed and better HD aren't going to sell me.
I think games look good enough as it is already whether in 1080P or 4K. Ray tracing by Nvidia seems to be all the rage lately. We’ll see how or if it makes games any better. Back when LA Noire came out, the new facial expression technology that was used in the game really hasn’t been further exploited.

Although sports and racing games tend to be the early benefactor with new consoles.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PlayStation 5 tech demo footage surfaces at investor conference - Spider-Man SSD speeds showcased, future plans shared.

"The presentation is based on Marvel's Spider-Man, developed by Insomniac Games. It starts off by showing a series of 'fast travel' warps around the game's New York map, with the PS4 Pro taking 8.1 seconds to complete a single jump. By contrast, the next generation hardware completes the same process in just 0.83 seconds. Roughly speaking, loading times are improved by an order of magnitude".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... e-surfaces

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Microsoft has a big announcement i.e. "Something New" at this years E3. Hopefully it has to do with the next gen Xbox https://www.gamespot.com/articles/micro ... 0-6467399/

Sony is now on board with cross-gen backward compatibility https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-m ... 0-6467385/

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Microsoft has a big announcement i.e. "Something New" at this years E3. Hopefully it has to do with the next gen Xbox https://www.gamespot.com/articles/micro ... 0-6467399/

Sony is now on board with cross-gen backward compatibility https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-m ... 0-6467385/
Interesting. I’m looking forward to the pressers from the big guys.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PlayStation 5 and Next Gen XBOX and Stadia

Post by DChaps »

Google announced all the details on Stadia yesterday, coming in November 2019.

Stadia Connect 6.6.2019 - Pricing, Game Reveals, Launch Info & More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BbW6zAjL0

Stadia Connect 6.6.2019 - Official Sizzle Reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx21mOYsb2k

Stadia Connect Official Recap In 3 Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdUshWn8uM0

Everything We Learned Today About Google Stadia
https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learne ... 1835294433

Stadia Founder’s Edition
https://store.google.com/us/product/sta ... ine/stadia

Google Stadia vs. Apple Arcade: Everything we know
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-stad ... g-we-know/

Finally -- the Google Stadia details that matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaRKdxyhnLs

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-stadia ... d-e3-2019/
From CNET:

-There's a Stadia Base tier that's free for any game you purchase via Stadia at up to 1080/60p in stereo (at 10Mb/s). Individual game prices still TBD.

-There's a $9.99 monthly Stadia Pro tier, which delivers 4K/60p HDR quality (at 35Mb/sec) with 5.1 surround sound, free games added to your library and discounts.

-There's a Stadia Founder's Edition limited preorder offer for $129.99, which includes a first access to the service, limited-edition controller, a Chromecast Ultra streaming devices, three months of Stadia

-Pro, Bungie's full Destiny 2 experience, first dibs on a username and a buddy pass that gives a friend 3 months to try Stadia Pro.

-Coming to 14 countries first, including the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and some other places.

-At launch it will work on laptops, desktops and Chromecast Ultra TV streaming sticks, tablets, plus Google Pixel 3 phones. More phones, including the iPhone , and tablets are slated for later.

-The Stadia controller, an optional $70 USD / £60 accessory that will connect wirelessly to the internet in order to play games, will come in three colors: black, clearly white, and wasabi (green).

From Kotaku:

-It’ll be a slow rollout, Google says—you’ll need that Founder’s Edition to play in 2019—the platform won’t open up further until 2020. You won’t be able to subscribe to the standard Stadia Pro subscription until next year, either.

-Google announced Baldur’s Gate 3 and Ghost Recon: Breakout for Stadia, the latter with a new trailer. (Don’t worry—the former is also coming to PC.)

-Other games announced include Gylt, an adventure game from developer Tequila Works, and a multiplayer Overcooked-style game called Get Packed from Moonshine Studios.

-The Division 2 will be there, too. Ubisoft overload!

-Stadia Pro is the official service, at $10/month, which will give you access to the service’s games at 4K resolution/60 frames-per-second. This won’t include all the games, though—newer ones will be purchasable separately.

-The controller is $70 standalone.

-The Stadia Founder’s Edition will launch later this year for $130. It comes with a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a copy of Destiny 2 (along with the new Shadowkeep expansion), and a three-month subscription along with a three-month buddy pass.

-Other Stadia games include Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Doom, Doom Eternal, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, Final Fantasy XV, Darksiders Genesis, Metro Exodus, and many others.

-Google says it’ll be one user per Stadia account, tied to your Google ID—you can have a guest account for splitscreen, but other than that, no sharing. (Update (2:43pm): A Google spokesperson reached out to say that family sharing is coming in the future.)

-“At launch, if you’re a Stadia user, you can play Stadia exclusively on Pixel 3 and 3a devices. However, you’ll be able to create your account and make subscription and game purchases from any Android M+ or iOS 11+ device that has access to the Stadia app.”