Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:32 pm
10spro wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:44 pm

And unlike PK’s wife, mine still gives me stern looks when I hook up with you guys over the weekends. :twisted:
Considering you have almost always been at Dragon weekends the last many years you must really really really love the wife's stern looks. 8)

The Series X will be my third ever launch buy and first since the Dreamcast. The PS1 was the other. The lil boy in me is really looking forward to it.
:D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I’m probably going to wait at launch. But having a One X means I can much more easily do that. If I still has the S or Launch XB1, I’d be getting the Series X day 1.

But what I might spend some money on is a VR unit. When I finally went back to PC last winter, one of the things I made sure to do was spec it out to be able easily run a VR unit that can play Alyx.

I’m not convinced VR is going to be a gaming mainstay, but this might be a good time to check it out. Although, I have found prices still more than I want to spend. I’m mostly waiting for a good deal to come up.

Maybe next spring when MLB The Show comes to Xbox. But I already had two versions of The Show on my PS4, and it never hooked me. I’m playing SMB3 more than I ever played The Show. But I also might just want to check out Sony baseball on Xbox for the first time, plays Halo.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PlayStation 5 and Next Gen XBOX

Post by Pete1210 »

Pete1210 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:37 pm
Same plan for me as last 2 generations: Next xbox on day 1, PS5 a few years later to play the exclusives.
This still. I'm overdue for a new console :D
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For those in the market for the PS5, Sony is taking your info now for preorders:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campa ... re-orders/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm
For those in the market for the PS5, Sony is taking your info now for preorders:

It's just a registration to have a chance of a preorder.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 pm
10spro wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm

It's just a registration to have a chance of a preorder.
yeah, WTF is that about?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Verge just broke the news that the Xbox Series S will be $299 and the Xbox Series X will be $499. The Series X will launch November 10th.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... k-lockhart

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Microsoft actually tweeted the announcement at Midnight PST last night. So odd.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Preorders for the Series X and S are on 9/22. 11/10 release.

$499 for the Series X

$299 for the Series S

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am just curious if folks in this forum are more inclined to save a few dollars and go for the S compared with the more powerful X. Personally, I prefer to have a more consistent frame rate anytime running at 1440p than say the advertised up to 4K quality graphics on the PS5 and Xbox X.

Depending on the quality of your TV set, will the graphics difference be that noticeable?

I am in no rush to buy either model, still waiting if companies like GS would have a trade in deal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pm
I am just curious if folks in this forum are more inclined to save a few dollars and go for the S compared with the more powerful X. Personally, I prefer to have a more consistent frame rate anytime running at 1440p than say the advertised up to 4K quality graphics on the PS5 and Xbox X.
Not a chance. I'm X, all the way.

I'm still on an OG Xbox One. The big black box, not even an Xbox One S. I want to see native 4K gaming in all of its splendor on my 4K HDR10 Dolby Vision TV set. Plus the X has twice as big of a solid state drive, more memory, three times as many teraflops of graphical power. All of that should keep the FPS rate steady at 4K on the X, probably after early developer optimization.

The X is more future-proof, as I don't plan on buying any souped-up, mid-generation variants of the original system, like the One S was to the OG Xbox One. And I sure as hell don't want to sit in front of 1440p images on my 4K TV two years from now and say, "F*ck, why didn't I get the X for just $200 more?"

I'm at a point in my life where I've grinded my ass off for 32 years in the workplace. My wife and I have saved like misers to put kids through college and have no debt other than paying off our mortgage within a year or two. One kid is done with college, one is 1/4 of the way there, the other is still in high school. We drive used cars. We don't spend money on clothes, shoes, boats or expensive sporting goods. I have a bit of savings I would like to splash on one of my favorite hobbies, and I want to leave the starting gates with a top-of-the-line rig, which is something I usually NEVER do in ANY purchase.

There might be a mental debate if the S was $299 and the X was $699. But for $200 more? The X is a slam f*cking dunk for me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:
I have 3 XB1X so I'll likely trade in one or possibly 2 and get the X for $499 I just want to see what kind of deals they have. I'm thinking if they bundle Game Pass Ultimate with it as well it's worth the upgrade.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Sounds like the big push will be the monthly plan.

So if you play a lot of MS first-party games or the EA games, that might be all you need.

I don't know if binging games is quite the same as Netflix though.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 pm
I have 3 XB1X so I'll likely trade in one or possibly 2 and get the X for $499 I just want to see what kind of deals they have. I'm thinking if they bundle Game Pass Ultimate with it as well it's worth the upgrade.
My XB1X will be 100% free when I cash in my XBOX Rewards points. I'm already at 272,000 + points. I can redeem 92,000 points towards a $100 Microsoft gift card which can be used towards the purchase. :D
wco81 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:52 pm

So if you play a lot of MS first-party games or the EA games, that might be all you need.

I think that's what MS is pushing it's casual gamer base towards. I'm already sold on GPU so it's something i'll be adding to the next XBOX.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:00 pm
My XB1X will be 100% free when I cash in my XBOX Rewards points. I'm already at 272,000 + points. I can redeem 92,000 points towards a $100 Microsoft gift card which can be used towards the purchase. :D
How do those work? I feel like I am missing out on a lot of points and deals.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:11 pm
Rodster wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:00 pm
How do those work? I feel like I am missing out on a lot of points and deals.
Signup for Microsoft Rewards, you can earn points for Bing searches on your computer and mobile device, achievements, Daily Sets sets etc. Checkout the link, it'll explain it all. I average about 15K-18,000 per month and I rarely ever buy a game. I usually cash in rewards points.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rewards?rtc=1

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Ah I thought there was a way to earn them on your Xbox LOL
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 pm
Ah I thought there was a way to earn them on your Xbox LOL
Yup, that's the Microsoft Rewards app on the XBOX. There are plenty of other ways too once you get started. There are daily, weekly quests that earn rewards points. Once you get started it will prompt you to signup and enable other ways to get more rewards. You can also download the XBOX mobile app on your phone, that also earns points as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:

GamePass has way more than just first-party MS games, as you probably know.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Selling my One X and my PS4 Pro and without a doubt getting the Series X. I see no reason to get the S unless it's a secondary console/streamer like a more advanced Apple TV/Nvidia Shield. That's really the only reason anyone should get one of those. If you can't pay $500 you can't pay $300 as far as I'm concerned if you're an adult (kids obviously are at their parents discretion). Save your pennies, get the future proof console w/ twice the storage and significantly more power.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:42 pm
PK you should know better to engage this user. :D
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 pm
10spro wrote:
I sold my first XB1X to some dude on eBay for $405! That nearly pays for the XBSX right there. I was hoping for $300 for my XB1X on eBay and I got $100 more. I will be preordering at midnight on the 22nd...no doubt.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:42 pm
wco81 wrote:

No, didn't know.

I was commenting more about the Netflix-like business model. It may also draw in a lot of buyers who don't want to pay several hundred dollars upfront.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The Series S looks pretty damn impressive. This vid explains a lot. I’m not one to root for/against either console. That being said, Sony has to be a little concerned about this news...especially after the sketchy news about its backwards compatibility.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25