Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Aristo »

F308GTB wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:45 pm
Aristo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 pm
I'm much closer to spending money on an Oculus 2 than a console.
For me it is the HP Reverb G2 that is calling.
I have not done much VR research, other than making sure my PC was capable of playing Half-Life: Alyx on the Valve Index if I decided I wanted to. I figured it was a good gaming baseline that would keep the machine pretty capable to game for several years, and if cheap VR drops in my lap I can finally play that game.

I'm not sold on any price of gear, and that looks like a great compromise between the Index and the Oculus 2. But $600 is a lot of change for VR, for me. At $300, I could still see the Oculus 2 being what I go with, but there is a lot to like bout that HP Reverb G2 from the very little I've read so far.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:46 am
Ah yeah, I was expecting a little condensending comment from Danimal. Par for the course. :wink: All good Dan.

I'm enjoying both consoles. If I had to pick one however that feels next gen, it's the PS5. It doesn't hurt that there are some great exclusives at launch. Astrobots really impressed me as I just finished it this morning. Kids will have blast with it.

The Xbox is built solidly and the game resume is an excellent feature. I love the controller. It's slightly smaller than the previous gen and I prefer it that way. Game Pass sells itself. I know I just have to be patient with regards to the game lineup. They've invested in so many new studios that it's bound to have an effect.
Just booted up the PS5 for the first time tonight.

I wasn’t expecting such a next gen “wow” experience, but that’s exactly what’s happening. Initial thoughts:

-Amazing controller. So comfortable and the haptic feedback will be great in all sorts of games for subtle things like bow tension, driving surfaces, etc.
-Very elegant UI and home screen. The sounds, the visual flourishes, the layout and clarity are all very next gen. I truly wasn’t expecting such an upgrade. I love how in your profile it shows the hours played of every game played under your PSN profile. Was neat to see past PS4 playtimes for the first time and like this feature moving forward.
-Preloading a game like Astrobot to showcase the system was a brilliant idea. It lets you enjoy the system within minutes of startup. Perfect for the digital age, when you may not have a disc on day 1. Mind you, Spider-Man loaded very fast after I purchased it. Everything is just super easy and fast.

After reading all of the positive reviews of Sackboy, Demon Souls, Morales and the assortment of sports games etc, I think this may actually be one of the best launch lineups I’ve encountered.

Can’t recommend it enough- Sony may have fumbled a lot of their pre-release strategy, but I think they’ve delivered a really great console.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Good to hear about PS5.

Oh, and Assassins Creed Valhalla is fn badass. Super game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:49 am
Good to hear about PS5.

Oh, and Assassins Creed Valhalla is fn badass. Super game.
Yeah it is. Only just scratched the surface but damn it looks good.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Ah yeah, I was expecting a little condensending comment from Danimal. Par for the course. :wink: All good Dan.
In fairness since I've been a member here by my memory you seem to do the same thing every launch, buy both consoles, declare the PS better and then sell the Xbox. You have to admit that's funny and If I can't poke fun at that then I don't know what to say but it was just that, trying to give you s*** in good fun.

I honestly don't care which one you prefer, I don't have either so my opinion on them is nil and at this point.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Temptation is so hard. Telling myself to wait and not buy. Been a primary XBOX gamer last 2 gens, only bought ps4 to play THE SHOW, but next gen heavily leaning on getting PS5. I know THE SHOW is coming to XB but I like the simplicity that is PS5. That is what is attracting me. The whole Xbox series X with the differences between the white and black versions and the name sounding too alike with last gen is confusing. I'll probably end up buying one but leaning towards ps5 right now. but really trying hard not to get it.

maybe i just have the need for a new toy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:38 am
Temptation is so hard. Telling myself to wait and not buy. Been a primary XBOX gamer last 2 gens, only bought ps4 to play THE SHOW, but next gen heavily leaning on getting PS5. I know THE SHOW is coming to XB but I like the simplicity that is PS5. That is what is attracting me. The whole Xbox series X with the differences between the white and black versions and the name sounding too alike with last gen is confusing. I'll probably end up buying one but leaning towards ps5 right now. but really trying hard not to get it.

maybe i just have the need for a new toy.
Never thought I’d hear the reason for purchasing a specific console is confusion. Um, buy the black Xbox if you prefer Xbox gaming, especially since the Show is coming (allegedly). Not that confusing really.

You clearly just need a new toy too...don’t lie to yourself. ;)

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

As an envious outside observer, I have to say the new controller for the PS5 is the most exciting, next-gen thing with these two machines. I’m certainly wanting to get a Series X, and I can appreciate the sort of iterative approach MS is taking. I’m already all in on Gamepass, and I do think the “quality of life” improvements, especially the fast swapping, are very big steps. But none of it is as “next-gen” flashy and potentially transformative the way the PS5 controllers haptic feedback seems to be.

It’s a balance, and MS decided to let you use all your Xbox One peripherals and make the switch over seamless, which has its benefits, but that PS5 controller has that “got to try it!” Next-gen excitement.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I did my morning routine of checking to see if anyone had consoles and of course no, but Game Stop seems to be selling the All Access option which make me wonder how they can do that if they don't have consoles.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:03 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
In fairness since I've been a member here by my memory you seem to do the same thing every launch, buy both consoles, declare the PS better and then sell the Xbox. You have to admit that's funny and If I can't poke fun at that then I don't know what to say but it was just that, trying to give you s*** in good fun.

I honestly don't care which one you prefer, I don't have either so my opinion on them is nil and at this point.
I certainly have had my impulse purchases in the past, the Xbox One being one of them. However, I did have it and the PS4 for the last couple years up until selling them about 4 months ago. In any case, we decided we're keeping both the Series X and the PS5. I don't think it's uncommon for when two consoles launch, one might stand out over the other. Don't get me wrong. Both are very good, but with newness and enhanced PS5 controller along with a few nice launch games (Series X has none), is it any surprise that the PS5 would be the more popular choice at this point? The familarity of the Series X with it's UI just doesn't feel next gen, but there's not doubting the speed and quick resume are great features!

No worries about the teasing. My family gives me the same grief when it comes to this hobby. It's all good.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:02 pm
Both are very good, but with newness and enhanced PS5 controller along with a few nice launch games (Series X has none), is it any surprise that the PS5 would be the more popular choice at this point?
It's only surprising because it's this board. It leans heavily towards the Xbox, at least for the last two generations. I much prefer the MS exclusives, so obviously if I'm only going to have one console, the Xbox will be it. I think most around here are the same, so even tho it's an older board, people still get defensive of their purchase. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:02 pm
No worries about the teasing. My family gives me the same grief when it comes to this hobby. It's all good.
Thanks for being a good sport, at one point I owned 4 XB1X's and 2 PS4 Pro's so I'm not one to judge. The lack of supply has kept me from impulse buying and I think that might be a good thing at this point.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's a great time to be a console gamer and PC gamer with new Nvidia GPU cards out and AMD cards on the horizon.

Going forward, I'll most likely veer towards the Xbox for multi-platform games with it being a more powerful console and the quick resume is a feature I know I'll use quite a bit. The only exception would be if the haptic feedback on the PS5 controller gets rave reviews for a specific game.

Thinking of picking up Madden 21 on Amazon for $35. For those who still play it, is it worth it at this price?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:41 pm
Thinking of picking up Madden 21 on Amazon for $35. For those who still play it, is it worth it at this price?
If you have Game Pass you can try it for 10 hrs as EA Play is now included in Game Pass Ultimate.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
If you have Game Pass you can try it for 10 hrs as EA Play is now included in Game Pass Ultimate.
I do have the trial on Steam but it doesn’t seem to be available on the consoles. I’m wondering if my account is linked in some way I wouldn’t be able to have two trials. I guess I’ll play it on the pc and make a determination. Curious to see how it’s going to look on December 4.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Rodster wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:

The EA access Madden 21 10 hour trial does not work. It’s been broken for 7 weeks and no fix from EA.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 pm
Rodster wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:

The EA access Madden 21 10 hour trial does not work. It’s been broken for 7 weeks and no fix from EA.
That's a bummer. I just tried to play it on Steam and couldn't. Went ahead and ordered it at $35 for the Xbox One. Won't be that much cheaper on Black Friday.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 pm
Lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 pm
Rodster wrote:

That's a bummer. I just tried to play it on Steam and couldn't. Went ahead and ordered it at $35 for the Xbox One. Won't be that much cheaper on Black Friday.
ya it's a scam. on the ea forums EA's saying the only way to fix this is to buy the full game.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 pm
Wish I had seen this earlier. I hasn't played in a month or so but then the game was very enjoyable lots of errant passes and pass break ups etc. I don't know why but I decided to play this weekend, lost 3 games in a row. The QB in those 3 games 21-22 (Cosuins), 27-28 (Minshew) and 35-35 (Rodgers). I never saw any of that before starting up with the new patch this weekend and there were no nice DB / WR interaction anymore everything was a catch or an INT. To me it felt like a totally horrible and different game and the typical EA releases something resembling football and then after months of the tourney kids crying give you crap.

This was on the PC, YMMV.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Walmart on Nov 25th is selling the game for $28.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/372 ... 2020-1125/

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

When it seems actually worthwhile to upgrade my console - I'm going all in on the PS5. Time for a change.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

There's a PS5 update. Hopefully, it fixes some of the stability issues.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Picked up WRC9 for the PS5...

Nothing crazy in terms of visuals but runs very smooth. Feels cross platform for sure in that regard.

The dual sense controller is another story- great feedback for the various gravel and tarmac surfaces. Usually it takes me a while to get used to controllers and sim rally games, but it feels quite intuitive.

Wasn’t sure I was going to grab a sports/driving game right away but glad I did. If only 2k21 wasn’t $94 here in Canada 😳

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I was hoping to get the Xbox Series X before the 12/4 Madden release, looks like it could be several months after that. Heck I'll probably just get the console that I get lucky enough to find.. if it ever happened.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Random thoughts on the PS5 that I picked up yesterday.

First some complaints.

The fact that it doesn't naturally lie horizontally is odd. After searching online, I learned that the circular base is intended to be used whether you use the console vertically or horizontally. However, it doesn't appear to *really* click in place when used horizontally. It seems to rest reasonably well now that I'm done moving things around, but I had it nearly slide off the base at one point while adjusting things, especially as I was installing it alongside my Pro to for data transfer.

This brings me to my next issue. I was one of those who had a difficult time moving software from the Pro to the PS5. Whereas my Series X just worked when moving data from one to the other, I had to run Sony's Data Transfer at least 4 times to move everything over. And the first time, I thought I'd bricked my Pro. There are a lack of prompts and status that make completely clear that the transfer is done or not... I had a "pre" transfer stuck at 100%, whereupon I found a tip online to boot both systems into safe mode and update there OS level which cleared that. One of the failures was mine as I tried to use Wi-Fi for the transfer, but even after I wired both systems to my LAN, the process spontaneously failed two times midway of the transfer with no way to put the PS4 back in "resume" mode.

So far, I think the UI is pretty attractive, with nice hi-res game pages. I think there are some growing pains as some of my common usage patterns from the PS4 appear to be more difficult in the new UI. For example, powering down a controller or the console itself used to be available from shortcut menus on long press of the PS button, I believe. Now these options are available only on different "Accessories" and "Power" entries on the ribbon bar, and mostly at the far end of the bar. There are also some documented issues with Rest Mode that has me wary to use it until things appear more stable.

Compared to the Series X, I'd say the PS5 is a bit noisier, but that's probably a credit to the XSX which barely audible. But the PS5 is a whole lot quieter that the Pro it's replacing.

Once getting past some of the stuff mentioned above, though, it's been a really nice experience so far. The new controller design is a positive and the feeling of the early adaptive/haptic innovations with the triggers is impressive. Differentiating, for example, when a trigger simulates a "click" or when thunder rumbles from one side of the controller to the other marks a subtle shift for next-gen behaviors.

Most of my limited game plays have involved PS4 backwards compatibility, but so far everything's worked without a hitch. And where games have PS5-specific patches, the fidelity is beautiful and the performance snappy. I'll probably continue to lean heavily into XSX for online play and cross-platform titles, but look forward to what the Sony exclusive studios can do with the new hardware as the new generation evolves. Also interested in whether and when the PSVR platform continues to evolve.