Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:

The only hard pill to swallow for me for forking another $300+ for the seagate expansion card given the size of these updates and yes I got a lotta games.

Good luck to the rest of you.
See!

EA helped you out not doing a thing for NHL21 customers who upgraded systems.

They were looking out for their fellow Vancouverites and their SSD space.

Such good guys!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 pm
10spro wrote:

The only hard pill to swallow for me for forking another $300+ for the seagate expansion card given the size of these updates and yes I got a lotta games.

Good luck to the rest of you.
See!

EA helped you out not doing a thing for NHL21 customers who upgraded systems.

They were looking out for their fellow Vancouverites and their SSD space.

Such good guys!
I am returning NHL 21. Tell Jimmy, he’s still got time... :twisted:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Now if one game can showcase the power of the Series X it’s NBA 2K21. I bought the Mamba Edition back when it came out because it came with the upgrade to next gen along with it. Whoa what a difference. First thing you notice is the lack of loading times. Before each game last Gen it was a good 60-90 seconds before you could get to the jump ball, now it’s about 2 seconds tops. Nearly instant. And the graphics and smoothness of the gameplay is a huge jump. It makes shot timing significantly more enjoyable compared to last Gen when it never felt quite right. What an improvement.

If I liked nba games more it probably would be worth the console alone but as it sits it seems to be the current sports show piece.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I sure wish I could join in on the early-adopter fun, but not this time. I mean, I finally got a Xbox one X a few months ago, so there’s no way I can justify the €500 for a new device. But being a non-PC gamer and a dedicated console guy since the SNES to N64 (and Dreamcast, and PS1) days, I think this is the first time since the early 90s that I’m not jumping in very early if not day one.

So, I’m living it vicariously through you guys. More impressions, please!

Everything I’ve read (mostly at Ars) and heard on podcasts (basically listen to Triple Click and recently started listening to Minnmax, but that one’s looong) tells me the biggest improvements right away are all about load times almost going to nil and fast switching between games. Higher resolution isn’t as interesting for me as better use of HDR, and faster frame rates are really hard to explain or talk about, even though they can clearly make a huge difference to how games feel to play. I will say the NBA 2k21 video from a few weeks back was amazingly impressive, and I’m glad to hear real gameplay improvements are there in the game as well, especially db, when you say the shooting timing “finally” feels right as it never really has in 2K before.

It is definitely a different type of new generation launch, especially with so many new “launch games” still playable on the older machines or PC. But the “quality of life” improvements seem to me to be very compelling. Maybe not $500 compelling, but certainly a case of “it’s about time” with a lot of these improvements.

I am curious about how well the Series X improves back-compatible games as well, primarily in terms of HDR but also whether or not better frame rates or quicker load times help make older games more enticing to play. I feel like back-compatibility in the last couple of launches was much more about folks wanting to hold onto beloved games they didn’t want to jettison, but nowadays it’s more a case of there being such a massive ecosystem of games of all levels of technical sophistication being worth playing, and especially with GamePass, such a huge library of high quality game experiences to explore that the back-compatibility issue is a very different one this time.

Anyway, all you guys who were able to jump in, enjoy! And keep dropping more tidbits of impressions, even very small ones, for those of us who aren’t on the next-gen wagon yet. For example, I’m super curious about the new haptics of the PS5 controller. Some stuff I’ve read indicates it has the potential to be the biggest improvement since the ol’ N64 rumble-pack, which obviously changed everything.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Set up was a breeze yesterday for the Series X.

There's some heft to the console. I really like the build of it. I currently have it sitting on the floor just to the left of my tv stand.

Whisper quiet. Is it even on? :) Great MS build quality as always.

Finally, the UI is not sluggish. Yes, I know they put out updates for the Xbox One that made it slightly better, but it still wasn't as smooth as the PS4 UI. It's so much better now.

Installs or downloads are excruciatingly slow. Was only able to install Jedi Fallen and NHL21. The rest of the time I was watching Ted Lasso on Apple TV Plus, which looks absolutely great. Oh, and it's a can't miss show for all your footie fans. :wink:

I have the "instant on" feature set, but my game downloads are not installing with the console off. Am I doing something wrong?

Games load very quickly. And since I was only able to play a couple games, my time has been limited. Jedi Fallen looks really nice, and NHL 21 is definitely long in the tooth. NHL 22 better look a lot better!

The UI is very familiar. It's good and bad in my opinion. I'm sure MS will make subtle changes going forward. That said, it's easy to navigate around because it's...comfortable.

If my games still haven't downloaded by the time I get home, it's back to watching Ted Lasso. Such a good show.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Yesterday was a fun day.

Yes. The set up was extremely simple. So simple that even I can do it in a few minutes without any outside/ youtube help.

Transfer of my existing games was fast and easy especially since I copied to external drive in advance. Experience helped as we did go through this same deal with XBOX 1 X.

Downloads of new games and Series X updates to the enhanced games got slower and slower as the day went on for obvious reasons. Mo people Mo slow. Launch day and all that eh?

I ran it from 6:20 am to 9:50 pm with an hour break and never got that internet promised heating. Maybe I should have put it in the oven?

Super quiet? Check.

Load times? Thank you! Hard to go back to the past now.

Assassins Creed Valhalla. Love it! Beautiful smooth and fun!

Forza Horizon next gen upgrade was super sweet. Horizon already was beautiful but now its even more beautiful and the driving is even smoother.

I played AC Odyssey and it looked and played even better so without playing all my games Im thinking they will all benefit in some way with or without the Horizon/Gears treatment.

All in all I was very happy I broke my 20 year launch day drought to pick up this beast.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:37 pm
I have the "instant on" feature set, but my game downloads are not installing with the console off. Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, mine is doing the same. Same settings as my old One X, but yeah, it's not downloading/updating in that mode. Weird.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Great to read all these reports about the Series X today, I'm learning a lot from it. I'm curious, has anyone by chance tried the original Project Cars Racing on it? I know it tended to stay in the mid 30s to low 40s in frame rate tests on the original XBox One. It would be great if that game got a boost into the 50s or even 60s. I liked the feel of it with my force feedback steering wheel, but the lumbering frame rates ultimately turned me off to it.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Apparently Target had issues with their online stock information and had systems available in store even this morning. Sold out now though.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played around 45 minutes of Forza Horizon 4 this evening. Talk about breathing new life in to this title...wow. Game runs so smooth and looks beautiful. Changing out your car takes less than 10 seconds.

It appears the "instant on" feature is now working for downloads and installs when the system is off. Thank you MS.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Looks like I have digital version of the PS5 now shipping and delivering on Friday from antonline. It's less expensive than the Gamefly PS5 bundle that doesn't have a ship date as of yet. Hopefully, they allow me to cancel it.

Watched some videos today of Demon Souls.....wow. Might have to grab that title when there's a price drop.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Not sure what ECP is, but I'd suggest an outing at Top Golf. Went last weekend with my wife and another could to celebrate the husband's birthday. It was a good set-up for social distancing, and they are the only couple we hang out with. It's basically outdoors, so there is lots of air flow.

And it was even more fun than I would have imagined.
East Coast Pizza at Boone's Crossing, but I'm up for Top Golf too.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For some reason I can’t get the EA Play Hub app working on the new console. Anyone else having issues?

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Had a ps5 in my online cart on the target app. Within the few seconds it took me to pay, it said “an unexpected error has occurred “. Kind of a shitty thing where it can be in my “cart”, yet not. I didn’t plan to get one until January, so I can’t be too let down. Hopefully my PS4 can limp along until then. I feel awful for all the little kids who won’t get a ps5 or new Xbox for Christmas, but I guess it’s a good life lesson. Anyone who won the console lottery, enjoy!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:04 am
Had a ps5 in my online cart on the target app. Within the few seconds it took me to pay, it said “an unexpected error has occurred “. Kind of a shitty thing where it can be in my “cart”, yet not. I didn’t plan to get one until January, so I can’t be too let down. Hopefully my PS4 can limp along until then. I feel awful for all the little kids who won’t get a ps5 or new Xbox for Christmas, but I guess it’s a good life lesson. Anyone who won the console lottery, enjoy!
You feel bad for kids who don't get a system for Christmas? F*ck those spoiled brats...no kid needs 500+ worth of system plus accessories/games for Christmas. Wow. I guess there's always next Christmas for those little brats.

And your experience with the cart is par for the course in pre-order land. That's just what happens.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:13 am
fletcher21 wrote:
You feel bad for kids who don't get a system for Christmas? F*ck those spoiled brats...no kid needs 500+ worth of system plus accessories/games for Christmas. Wow. I guess there's always next Christmas for those little brats.

And your experience with the cart is par for the course in pre-order land. That's just what happens.
I had never used the target app before tonight. I got it all setup with my wife’s red card and was good to go. Kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth that I “had” one, but I didn’t expect one so I’m not surprised. I legitimately think these things will be hard to find all the way into spring. We’re probably going to go into another Covid lockdown, plus you know a bunch of people will blow their stimulus on a system, even if they’re living hand to mouth. I read a story on Reddit about a guy whose wife left him and he lost his job, but he got a ps5 and that made him feel better. I like stories like that. I am seeing systems on eBay for up to $1999 LMAO. I would happily pay $100 over msrp, but to pay 4x msrp on something you’ll be able to get *eventually* just proves that 7 out of 10 people you meet are idiots.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

fletcher21 wrote:
Imagine ordering an Xbox X from Best Buy and being the only one on this board who got his order canceled and they could never tell me why it was canceled.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WRC 9 to get free next-gen upgrade soon. Will join Forza Horizon 4 as racing eye candy for the new systems!

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/wrc-9-cons ... n-formats/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 am
WRC 9 to get free next-gen upgrade soon. Will join Forza Horizon 4 as racing eye candy for the new systems!

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/wrc-9-cons ... n-formats/
It's already updated on the Series X. And yes, it's beautiful.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

10spro wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:57 am
For some reason I can’t get the EA Play Hub app working on the new console. Anyone else having issues?
Check your Game Pass library. Everything should be in there now. It was a pretty massive dump of games. I happened to look last night at newly added games, and it was the entire EA Play library. So the games will be mixed in there for now.

Not sure how that works if you have EA Play and not Game Pass, though.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Any THPS remake enhancements on the new hardware?
GT = Wilk5280

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Worst launch week ever....lol.

I received my Series X on launch morning, along with some Arctix9x headphones. My first issue came when the headphones started crackling constantly. Adjusted some possible sources of interference but no luck. Started preparing the return box for Amazon.

Next, my Series X started crashing and even upon a few hard resets, the menus would take forever to load.

After pulling my hair out for a full day trying to get this thing to function properly I boxed it up and returned it in store for a refund.

I took it as a sign that I should have really gone for the PS5 at launch. After all I'm pretty invested in Sony's exclusives and Spiderman would probably make me the happiest out of any launch game.

Had a PS5 in my cart at BestBuy but it eventually kicked me out. No luck at any other Canadian retailers either.

I'll be booting up Read Dead 2 on my PS4 Pro tonight and will try not pout about it!

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The scalpers flipping their new ps5 and Xbox are hilarious. Just be honest and tell me you wanna make a quick $1000 profit. One guy is selling “because my wife got pregnant.” If you’re that cash strapped that you can’t “afford” a $500 console, maybe getting your wife pregnant wasn’t a smart plan. Another one said “buy it for your kids! Only 4 million will ship worldwide by March 2021!” Total lie, but I’m sure some moron will buy it.

Apparently Walmart has an online lottery 4x today. The bots will take them all, meanwhile some poor sap will waste his entire day hoping and wishing.

If I don’t have a console in hand by the time the snow melts I will be unhappy. For now, it’s not worth 2-3x msrp and I don’t have good luck to wind up with one. The switch was impossible to find lately, so I don’t think this is going to ease up anytime soon.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm going to post this over at OS as well a little later on this afternoon.

I have two PS5 bundles shipping to me, one of which I'm keeping for myself. It's a digital version with a charger and camera. Not much need for the camera, so I'll probably part with it.

The second bundle is from Gamefly. I'm unable to cancel the order becuase it has been billed and is in the process of shipping supposedly. Included in this bundle is the following:

Physical version
2 controllers
Ultimate edition of Spider-Man
9 month Gamefly membership

Total on this bundle with shipping and taxes is $844.00. This is what I paid. I'm happy to sell it to anyone on DSP if you are interested. I know it's a long shot becuase of the price. if you are though, please let me know as soon as possible and we can make arrangements.

If I don't sell it, I'm going to return it once it arrives.

Thanks.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:23 pm
Aristo wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Not sure what ECP is, but I'd suggest an outing at Top Golf. Went last weekend with my wife and another could to celebrate the husband's birthday. It was a good set-up for social distancing, and they are the only couple we hang out with. It's basically outdoors, so there is lots of air flow.

And it was even more fun than I would have imagined.
East Coast Pizza at Boone's Crossing, but I'm up for Top Golf too.
I'd be up for a little Top Golf. Granted, I suck at golf so it could be rather amusing. :D