Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by sportdan30 »

Per New Egg:

The @Xbox Series X and S will be released on 11/10/20 at 12:01am ET, and the #PS5  will be released on 11/12/20 at 12:01am ET. 🎮

Get all the info you need to know before you buy → newegg.io/69ee6f6

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Walmart:

Walmart will have PS5 this Thursday at 12 PM, 3 PM, 6PM, and 9 PM ET bit.ly/33EtxGi

Xbox Series X at 12 PM ET bit.ly/3mZTkAZ

all online only

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Here is a good one. This morning my mom asked the electronics guy at walmart about the new xbox. He said they have six in the store that will be able to be bought in-store, first come first serve. She questioned if they would be available during the senior hours from 6am-7am. His answer was yes, you would just have to find someone to get one from the back as there will not be anyone in the electronics department until they open full at 7. :D

This is one strange launch.

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

And, it didn't work :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I went online and my Walmart says they have 5 left for in store pickup but the site doesn't allow ordering of them. I'm not going over there just thought it was odd.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

It wouldn't be a console launch day without a good launch day - in store purchase attempt to share. Late last night I saw that the Walmart near me was going to take orders for in-store pickup starting at midnight last night. So I camped on the link and hit it repeatedly starting at a minute 'til, and rinsed and repeated until 1 AM, never seeing the link change status after who know how many refreshes. I gave up and hit the rack.

This morning, I woke up at 7:30 AM, went to the same web page I'd been refreshing earlier, and it now says "In Stock for in store purchase only". It didn't show any stock in the other Walmart store in my area, so I thought, 'maybe there's something to this'.

I haul buggy out to the Walmart store showing stock, make a bee-line to the Electronics department, and find a mid-70's age gentlemen there, taking a question from another customer, an elderly woman who doesn't look anything like your typical XBox Series X buyer. As I walk up she's saying "well your 'websyte' says you got 'em in stock, are you sure you ain't got 'em in back? "No mam, we don't... I checked almost an hour ago when the first person told me the same thing you're telling me now. She responded, "well I ain't never heard such as this in all my 'lyfe'".

The "Sales Associate" then turned to me and asked if he could help me and I told him that he'd 'pretty much answered my question in responding to this young lady' (which didn't temper her attitude any :)). He asked what I'd seen on Walmart's web page and I said it showed "In Stock, for in store purchase only". The woman then tersely inserted "Yeah, it said you had plenty of 'em in stock!" It was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing at that point, but I collected myself and said, "well I didn't see any stock quantity listed anywhere on the page, so you may have me at a disadvantage mam." I might of kinda said it in an Eddie Haskell tone though :)

The session ended with the elderly sales associate finally saying "all I can tell you is we don't have any." We all went our merry way from there. I left home thinking there might be a 10%, at best, chance of me actually picking up a Series X at Walmart based on that, so I wasn't too heartbroken.

So I get home and call up the same webpage and refresh it, and now it has a pop-up countdown window that ticking down and currently says: Orders start in 2 hours, 43 min, and 49 sec. ??? So I guess at noon today there will be a lottery for perhaps online purchase with in-store pickup? No further details are being given at this time. I guess I'll cast my lot again at noon and see what fate deals me :?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I saw the same message stating available for in-store pick up. Well, I've been refreshing and it went from available for in-store to out of stock.
GT = Wilk5280

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well I didn't go to my Walmart but I went back to the site and it says out of stock so I guess mine had them and sold out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I didn't even realize that today was launch day.

I'm officially old.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Just arrived at my doorstep!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Aristo wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 am
I didn't even realize that today was launch day.

I'm officially old.
Microsoft and Sony are f*cking up this launch royally, from a PR and promotions standpoint. They should have looked to Apple, which is a genius at creating media-inhaling scenes of demand.

Global media show pictures and video of Apple aficionados lining up at Apple stores all over the country to get the latest iPhone on release day. That creates a powerful impression and interest on social media and in traditional media. Those who have their new toy are stoked; those who are contemplating buying that new toy soon could get swept up in the riptide of enthusiasm.

And what will we see today with the launch of the Series X/S and later this week with the PS5? Nothing. Sorry, footage of people waiting at customer pickup at Best Buy, going to their front door to get packages from Amazon or Best Buy or pounding on their mouse to see if they can order and pick up one today isn't very compelling.

The reason that Aristo and others who didn't get a pre-order forgot today is launch day isn't old age; it's crap PR and promotion from Microsoft and Sony. People who are picking up their consoles today are thrilled to the gills; everyone else outside of the gaming universe is unaware. But when Apple unleashes a new iPhone at retail, the whole world knows about it.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Couldn't have been easier at Best Buy...walked up, showed my ID, they hand me a console. And my Microsoft order is out for delivery from FedEx...so, yeah. Got pretty lucky this year I guess.

And PK - why is it a f*ck up by Sony and MS if they literally do not have consoles to sell? You can hype it all you want, but if you can't put hardware in the consumers hand before the end of the year, it's pointless. You just get pissed off customers.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:14 pm
Couldn't have been easier at Best Buy...walked up, showed my ID, they hand me a console. And my Microsoft order is out for delivery from FedEx...so, yeah. Got pretty lucky this year I guess.

And PK - why is it a f*ck up by Sony and MS if they literally do not have consoles to sell? You can hype it all you want, but if you can't put hardware in the consumers hand before the end of the year, it's pointless. You just get pissed off customers.
MS and Sony are laughing to the bank, and that's all that matters to them. But if they're trying to create buzz among general consumers about this hot new product, they're failing. This is resonating only with gamers. There's little to no sense among the greater population that this is launch day because almost all of the product is moving via pre-order and delivery, not retail brick-and-mortar purchase.

I know it's 2020, and lines probably would have been frowned upon due to COVID. But they do work as a promotional tactic.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 am
I went online and my Walmart says they have 5 left for in store pickup but the site doesn't allow ordering of them. I'm not going over there just thought it was odd.
That's exactly what me and the other 10 people that showed up saw on their website. They stated online only a few days ago, but employees and the actual page on the series x on their website stated differently.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

have it in my cart, but can't check out

I get all the way to "place order" and then the pop-up modal comes up that says "there's trouble with your order, item is out of stock". I refresh my cart and it's sitting in there. huh
GT = Wilk5280

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

Had exactly the same thing. Good thing these stores and websites were ready. F'ing joke.

Of course, why have a launch date when you barely have any units to sell? Covid has been going on since March, so if you knew you didn't have the units...don't announce a launch date. So yes, major F up by Microsoft and Sony.

Not sure why I'm pissed off though, I've got a perfectly good one x to play the same games. Guess it's just another example these companies are a joke.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I asked this a few pages back, but I still don't get it: I don't get why they (M$ and PS) don't just pre-sell these thing like phones. Anyone can order, but you might not get a ship date until (possibly) months out?? Apple doesn't stop selling phones, they just keep pushing out the delivery date. Just let me order one. If I have to wait a couple months, fine?!? Does anyone know why they do it this way?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

greggsand wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:31 pm
I asked this a few pages back, but I still don't get it: I don't get why they (M$ and PS) don't just pre-sell these thing like phones. Anyone can order, but you might not get a ship date until (possibly) months out?? Apple doesn't stop selling phones, they just keep pushing out the delivery date. Just let me order one. If I have to wait a couple months, fine?!? Does anyone know why they do it this way?
If I had to guess it's the volatility of part supply. Since they are basically PCs, they are sourcing from a LOT of different manufacturers unlike phones which use the same basic components across virtually all makes/models. Not to mention most of Apple's manufacturing is using their own components so they know exactly how much they have so they can give you a good estimate of when it'll come out. Console makers probably don't want to over sell and then it's a six/nine month wait for manufacturing. One little part is out of stock, or scarce, it ruins the whole process.

That's my uneducated guess.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That makes total sense, DB. Good explanation.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:14 pm
Couldn't have been easier at Best Buy...walked up, showed my ID, they hand me a console.
Yes it was that simple. It was as easy as back in the day when I got my launch PS1. Though I didnt have to preorder that and I was the only there to buy one.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Apple has money to commit billions more to the supply chain, to sell 75 million iPhones a quarter.

Sony and MS are shooting for maybe 10 million each in the first quarter or two of launch.

Margins are crazy on iPhones so they have an incentive to ramp up volumes whereas console BOM cost is close to the selling price, if not over it. So the incentive isn't there to commit to much greater production.

Plus they expect to have software about a year after launch which will boost demand so better to smooth out the ramp up of volume.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Popped into my Best Buy (Sherman Oaks, CA) and it was a bust (no surprise), but they said to "keep checking the website" (Fun!). He said they don't expect to have them 'on the shelves' for walk-ins until end of January. 8O
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Mine arrived from Walmart on my front doorstep at 2pm. Fired it up and I am currently transferring games from my One X to the Series X via the Network Transfer. Moving fast.

I am a 50 year old dude. Not many things give me that feeling of when I was a kid on Christmas. Console launches are the closest for me. Love getting a new console on launch day. I’ll be playing in a bit :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

These updates to Xbox One games are ridiculously huge. Dirt 5 - 65gb, NBA 2k21 - 100gb, Forza Horizon 4 - 60gb, Sea of Thieves - 20gb, WRC 9 - 25gb...all of which render them useless during updates which are CREEPING from the network. Literally only going to be able to have around 9-10 games tops installed on the system itself.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Picked up mine at GS, they called us over the weekend to set up an appointment, (my wife was making fun of this) but in a very professional manner everything went seamlessly without lineups or stress.

The only hard pill to swallow for me for forking another $300+ for the seagate expansion card given the size of these updates and yes I got a lotta games.

Good luck to the rest of you.