Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Sudz »

I've had 0 luck ordering either. f'in sucks. I m managed to get an S, but I'll sell it once I can get an X. Hoping to get both an X and PS5.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

First look at the PS5 user experience. Looking good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBPrYJDoDE

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Looks like an evolution of the Home thing they tried years ago. I don't need games or worlds in my menu experience just let me get to what I want quickly.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 pm
Looks like an evolution of the Home thing they tried years ago. I don't need games or worlds in my menu experience just let me get to what I want quickly.
They have no choice but to do something like that. Microsoft has gone in a different direction with Game Pass than Sony and it appears Microsoft is going to win that bet just like they did when they were forward thinking with XBL and required an ethernet connection back in 2002/03.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:44 pm
Danimal wrote:
They have no choice but to do something like that. Microsoft has gone in a different direction with Game Pass than Sony and it appears Microsoft is going to win that bet just like they did when they were forward thinking with XBL and required an ethernet connection back in 2002/03.
People are entitled to like what they want but as I watched that video I kept asking myself who wants this?
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Ding-ding. I want clarity and minimalism on my home screen. This Sony home screen is a cluttered mess.

I don't mind a few suggestions and pertinent ads, but Sony appears to be trying to create the experience for its users instead of letting its users create their experiences.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm
Ding-ding. I want clarity and minimalism on my home screen. This Sony home screen is a cluttered mess.
And THIS is why I use Android phones vs. iPhones...although they are finally getting better at giving you a bit of control in iOS. No one ever understands my obsession with customizing, but this is the main reason.

I hate both the Xbox and PlayStation ways of organization...they are both way too cluttered and obnoxious. I have just learned to deal with it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 pm
pk500 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm
And THIS is why I use Android phones vs. iPhones...although they are finally getting better at giving you a bit of control in iOS. No one ever understands my obsession with customizing, but this is the main reason.

I hate both the Xbox and PlayStation ways of organization...they are both way too cluttered and obnoxious. I have just learned to deal with it.
Microsoft's dashboard has been massively cleaned up for the better. I still feel and maybe i'm in the minority but the original blade UI the X360 used was the best until Microsoft decided they needed to turn the X360 into Windows 8.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

So, the PS5 UI will be in 4k. There seemed to be a lot of backlash, and now Microsoft has come out and said they will update their UI from 1080p to 4K.

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-xs-1 ... ore-launch

That's good to hear.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Xbox Series X Average Temperature is Lower Than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-x-av ... xbox-one-x

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

sportdan30 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm
So, the PS5 UI will be in 4k. There seemed to be a lot of backlash, and now Microsoft has come out and said they will update their UI from 1080p to 4K.

That's good to hear.
Backlash because a UI is only 1080p? Lol.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Phil Spencer is teasing that Elder Scrolls VI maybe coming to PC and XBOX only.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JOZ wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:34 pm
sportdan30 wrote:

That's good to hear.
Backlash because a UI is only 1080p? Lol.
Yeah that's ridiculous...also could give a F less what temp my console runs at...as long as it's not thermally throttling. Weird stuff people get hung up on.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:

That's good to hear.
There is NO F*CKING WAY IN HELL I'm buying a console with only a 1080p UI. That is the MOTHER OF ALL DEALBREAKERS. An APPALLING mistake by Microsoft, even bigger than when former Xbox chief Don Mattrick all but called gamers idiots for questioning why the Xbox 360 needed a constant Internet connection and Kinect.

1080p UI? That's it, Microsoft -- our love affair of nearly 20 years is over.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Now, the heat thing matters, especially since the RROD of the 360 was caused by poorly designed heat sinks. It's important to me to know a Microsoft console runs cool because its consoles have suffered cooling problems with previous designs.

The resolution of the UI? Anyone who gives a f*ck about that really needs to get outside more.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

If anything, making a stink about a 1080p UI is clueless. How much power do you want the console to waste on crap that literally doesn't matter? Whether it is the environment, your electric bill, or just the performance of the console, there are good reasons not to go 4K in the UI. The only reason to make a big deal about 4K in the UI is to win a silly pointless console war battle for a hill that isn't even on the map. But for console warriors, they will repost whatever their Ministries of Spin tell them to do.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Thanks for the laugh, Paul. I needed that as I watch the Pickford hit job on VVD for the 45th time today. :lol:
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm
It would be absurd for MS not to make all future titles exclusive when the #1 reason that comes out of people's mouth about buying a PS is their exclusives.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm
Rodster wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm
It would be absurd for MS not to make all future titles exclusive when the #1 reason that comes out of people's mouth about buying a PS is their exclusives.
Watching/reading gaming "journalists" the last year on the net and on youtube has been quite entertaining.

Its pretty obvious what Spencer was saying is that if you like/want to play future Zenimax/Bethesda games and you are not buying an Xbox you have plenty of time to upgrade your PCs.

Seriously what is the big deal anyway? I have for years heard people say that there are no Xbox exclusives as you can play them on PC. Now they will get their wish. Everyone wins.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

XXXIV wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:33 pm
Seriously what is the big deal anyway? I have for years heard people say that there are no Xbox exclusives as you can play them on PC. Now they will get their wish. Everyone wins.
Sony fans are complaining about the exclusivity. Now that the shoe is on the other foot it is a bad thing. I find the whole thing funny to be honest.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

And ignoring the PS5 fanboy refrain of, "Why buy an Xbox when I can play all their exclusives on PC?" Microsoft has pushed for crossplatform gaming, put exclusives on PC, and are now even giving GameStop a % of sales earned on consoles they sell. And they are still called anti-consumer.

It's always been about one thing, place a benchmark in front of the Xbox it can't beat, and then proclaim it to be the end all be all. Microsoft figures out how to clear said benchmark, and even shows off a better score, and suddenly that benchmark was never really important. And really, they never were, as they are really just about spin.

Hell, I remember when the exclusives were no big deal last gen, at launch. You know, when Microsoft had a ton of pretty good games. But5 then, power was more important. Microsoft upped their power, and now it's really only about exclusives.

The thing is, every person that buys a PS5 or Series X is probably going to be happy with their purchase. Power, UI, and exclusives mean almost nothing if there are plenty of good games to play. And just like the last three generations, there are plenty of games to play on Xbox, PS, and Nintendo. Well, Switch might be light for some, but way more than enough for our household.

But buy the console you that lets you play what you want and with who you want. That's it. It's not hard.

I've been amused by some of the concerns about Microsoft's launch line-up. Personally, I would not launch more than one tentpole type game this entire launch window. I might not even do that. Sales are going to be weird. Personally, I'm not buying a console until I can walk into a store or just order it online without some weird hoops to jump through. Until then, I'm pretty sure every launch game will play just fine the One X.

And this gen, when a friend buys a Series X, not only are they still on my friends list, but I can still play with them in any of the new games. They get some better graphics and performance, and some cool features, but the reason the new games will have plenty of people playing with them is that the XB1 gamers will be there.

Sony is still fighting a hardware sales war, and Microsoft quit fighting that war two years ago. They decided to beat Sony, they needed to change the game, and make the console optional. Some will still print stories about Sony's "dominance," but Microsoft will be making bank still.
Last edited by Aristo on Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Can’t say that I disagree Aristo. Nice post.

I think the vast majority of us here (if not all) are “mature” gamers that don’t get caught up in the fanboyism that is out there. You like Sony? Have at it. You like MS? Have at it. You like both? Have at it. We are all big boys that make smart decisions (other than some impulse purchases :D ) with our dollars. Now if I had my current income when I was 20 8O Haha haha. That being said, I am starting to get excited for the launch. I really enjoy new console launches...the announcements, the lead up, and the actual launch. ITS FUN. That is why we game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Truth.

I'm considering a Series S for my office, since I have 1080p monitor. There is no real reason to do this, as I really prefer gaming on the couch. But it's :only" $300 and I can test it out on my TV and see how it compares to the One X. And that is a complete bullshit rationalization to spend $300 because hype is real.

And I might still do it. But I know I will have a Series X once they are selling in stores, so I'm better off just waiting. If I am going to waste $300 on a conosle for my office, it's probably about time to consider a VR headset for the office instead.

Ever since Valve dropped Alyx I've been more interested in VR. Not enough to actually buy one, but I absolutely spec'd out my PC last year with the Valve Index and others in mind. I figured that even if I never get a VR headset that those benchmarks would make for a good gaming PC, and that has been true, so far. I mean, I might get a VR headset and ski[p the Series X for a year or two if the One X keeps playing the games. I won't miss the Series X features until I start using them.

But that's why I won't buy until it is in a store. I want to avoid buying on hype, because I have other options to consider, and I have to force myself to "remember" that I an 100% happy with my gaming set-up right now. The One X has not been out that long. I will be cool to enjoy this version for awhile longer, even if others are jumping on the next gen.

And I still might get hyped and grab one sooner.

Also, I think the new store and UI refinements are killer, and another reason I don't mind waiting. Microsoft does a pretty nice job of keeping updating the UI and dashboard features in ways that make it feel brand new. I'm so glad they finally figured out the perfect way to have trailers of games in the store.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised "console wars" is still a thing, but I am. Then again, I have friends from elementary school still arguing "chevy vs ford" on Facebook :roll: Back in the 90's, the console biz was so fragile, I understood trying to push people into supporting your brand. I was constantly shouting to the rooftops about dreamcast (and we know how that worked out). XBOX or PS aren't going ANYWHERE. So silly.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474