Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Rodster »

Is this Sony's way of saying the PS5 is not going to be cheap? So in other words if I pay $1200 for an iPhone, as long as I find value in the purchase, it doesn't matter what I pay? Is this what Sony is trying to say?

"PlayStation CEO Says It's Emphasizing "Value As Opposed to Price" For PS5. Sony is focused on the value proposition of a next-gen console."

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/playst ... price-news

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

You wouldn't think Sony would make the same mistake as the PS3.

But who knows, may of the people who ran the gaming division and the company overall back then are gone.

On the heels of the PS4 success, maybe they got cocky. But Sony is way more reliant on gaming than MS is.

The world will still be recovering from this pandemic and the recession it triggered so what do they expect demand to be like?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:00 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:02 pm
The RUMORED Xbox All Digital version IS NOT as powerful as the mother system. It’s rumored to be a 1080p console.
Find this almost impossible to believe. The XB1X outputs in native 4K. The XB1S outputs in upscaled 4K. Yet a new machine -- even a lower-priced, lower-spec version -- will lack 4K gaming, a feature of the S since 2016 and the X since 2017?

I think that's a big, fat NFW. I'll eat a steaming plate of crow and be stunned if I'm wrong. This would be like a new car manufacturer releasing a new model without Bluetooth connectivity or AirPlay. Not buying it.
I stress the word RUMOR. I am with you, they would be stupid to not have an all digital console that is just as powerful as the mother console. It’s all speculation until something official is announced.

This is from Kotaku. Again, it is all guess work by them and the other tech sites:
According to Kotaku, Project Lockhart will be disc-less console – a trait that it will carry forward from the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition – but Kotaku's sources believe it will be substantially more powerful than Microsoft’s current disc-less box, and will come with both a solid-state hard drive and a faster CPU than any current game console.

The report goes on to say that Microsoft told developers to shoot for a 1440p resolution and 60 frames-per-second frame rate with Project Lockhart and 4K/60 with Xbox Series X, and those same developers have likened the performance of the lower-end console to the PS4 Pro.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:02 pm
Just to be clear, the PS5 AlL Digital console is simply the same as the mother console but without the disk drive. Just as powerful.

The RUMORED Xbox All Digital version IS NOT as powerful as the mother system. It’s rumored to be a 1080p console.

That is a distinct difference between the PS5 family and the Xbox family.
This sounds like the kind of hard hitting news you will find at a site dedicated to Playstaion fans. If Microsoft is so stupid to make a digital console less powerful then they have learned nothing.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:28 pm
According to Kotaku, Project Lockhart will be disc-less console – a trait that it will carry forward from the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition – but Kotaku's sources believe it will be substantially more powerful than Microsoft’s current disc-less box, and will come with both a solid-state hard drive and a faster CPU than any current game console.

The report goes on to say that Microsoft told developers to shoot for a 1440p resolution and 60 frames-per-second frame rate with Project Lockhart and 4K/60 with Xbox Series X, and those same developers have likened the performance of the lower-end console to the PS4 Pro.
Maybe this rumored digital console is in fact a streaming console similar to the steam pile of crap Google rolled out. That would be the only reason for downgraded specs in my mind.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Supposedly Amazon Europe leaked the price and release date of the PS5. 11/20/20 is the date and the PS5 will be $499. The all digital PS5 will be $399. This is a leak but obviously not official. Sounds about right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 48857e7249
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I LOVE the idea of a cheaper, discless Series X.

I finally stopped buying games on disc last fall. Should have done it a year earlier. I don't own or watch Blu-Ray or DVD. Hell, does anyone? Netflix, Prime and other streamers rule the world.

So, a cheaper, discless version would be mint for me. Your mileage may vary.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Might be time to buy some Microsoft stock.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Honestly, I think the leaks seem to be pushing Sony to make a first move, and I assume MS marketing is behind out. I probably buy a Series X at launch for $400, but that seems far fetched.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't own or watch Blu-Ray or DVD. Hell, does anyone?
Yes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Congrats! You're either a hoarder or a member of a dwindling breed! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Thanks but the preferred nomenclature is collector.

Nothing against streaming services as I do have more than one but there are multiple reasons I buy and collect films on Blu Ray and 4k. None of them are because other people do it.

Even though I have a dedicated 4k player I love having that second and third player in my gaming consoles.

You either get it or you dont but Im not buying a digital only console unless there is no other option.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Microsoft shutting down Mixer. Not a huge deal but a bit of a surprise. I thought it was doing ok. Evidently they are transitioning to Facebook Gaming. I’m not a Facebook fan. I don’t stream much but when I do it is on YouTube with my PS4 and PC (for my golf simulator). If I stream with the new Xbox it won’t be on Facebook.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/micro ... 04-10aaa1d
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Honestly, Microsoft would have had a better chance had they had just pushed Mixer as part of Windows and PC gaming, with Xbox as almost an afterthought. Tying it into Xbox so hard really narrowed its audience, for an app that requires viewers.

But they were convinced that the Kinect 2.0 was going to make the XB1 a dominant force in gaming, and since every Xbox One owner would have a Kinect, it would make Mixer a destination. And that turned out to be very, very wrong.

But it was an easy cut for what Xbox is doing now. Since Twitch is the dominant app, and its on Xbox like it is everywhere else, gamers aren't really losing anything. It's just a lot of saved money now.

It was good software though. Sucks that it is going to Facebook. I'll never see it again.

I think they did blow it with TV, though. If they had not given up, their TV app would probably be as good or better than the Apple TV I bought to do exactly what I thought Xbox One Guide was destined to become. And that did cost Microsoft.

With Apple TV, I rent and buy via that instead of Xbox. I might use a video app or my cable TV app to watch live TV if I'm on the Xbox, and it's just quicker. But now that we have spent time with the new Apple tvOS, it will always be where we go to watch TV. With an Xbox-like menu for what you've been watching, you are one click from the next episode in every show you are watching (except Netflix, who won't play nice with apple, so you have to use their app), plus easy access to apps, and good menus for TV shows and movies based on the qpps you own and services you subscribe to.

And just like that, I'm renting from Apple instead of Microsoft. The annoying part is that I have to switch inputs, and that is the only thing I do that forces me to reach way up to get the TV to catch the signal because of the sound bar. Everything else just works.

With TV, they were just competing against themselves. Make that a destination on the Xbox, and people will use it. And if they use it, you can sell a lot more subs and rentals. Just attract the customers you have. They don't even need the HDMI in anymore. I watch my cable via an internet connection on both the Apple TV and Xbox. Everything is in apps in one way or another.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am
Microsoft shutting down Mixer. Not a huge deal but a bit of a surprise. I thought it was doing ok. Evidently they are transitioning to Facebook Gaming. I’m not a Facebook fan. I don’t stream much but when I do it is on YouTube with my PS4 and PC (for my golf simulator). If I stream with the new Xbox it won’t be on Facebook.
MS started with its push of Mixer too late. It couldn't compete with the colossus known as Twitch.

Reminds me very much of Google+. A huge, wealthy conglomerate that thought it could march in and topple the most popular social network in the world, Facebook.

That said, I won't watch or use Facebook for anything pertaining to gaming. Facebook is one of the most insidious, sh*tty companies on Earth. I've all but weaned myself from it and feel zero worse for wear. It's a corrosive platform that does nothing but divide and stir sh*t across the planet. Zuckerberg may be the most irresponsible POS running a company.

Rant over.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Didn't MS just pay Ninja to come exclusively to mixer in the last year?

I always stream on Twitch and Youtube. Occasionally I do on Facebook if I want my friends to see something like my TGC course creation of my home club. At the end of the day no one wants to see a 50 year old white dude playing games but I like doing it anyway.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I will say, Ghost Of Tsushima looks incredible. Too bad it's an exclusive Sony title.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:08 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 am
Perfectly said.

MS started with its push of Mixer too late. It couldn't compete with the colossus known as Twitch.

Reminds me very much of Google+. A huge, wealthy conglomerate that thought it could march in and topple the most popular social network in the world, Facebook.

That said, I won't watch or use Facebook for anything pertaining to gaming. Facebook is one of the most insidious, sh*tty companies on Earth. I've all but weaned myself from it and feel zero worse for wear. It's a corrosive platform that does nothing but divide and stir sh*t across the planet. Zuckerberg may be the most irresponsible POS running a company.

Rant over.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MERACE wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 pm
https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/3-big ... n-beat-ps5

-MERACE
Interesting read, and I know this is a fight to the death between Sony and Microsoft. But stories like this -- with "one console beating the other" in the headline -- lead to useless tribalism among gamers.

"PS5 sucks." "Series X sucks." Who the f*ck cares? Just pick your console of choice or buy both and play the f*ck out of them. Much like I don't really care who sleeps with who, I could give three sh*ts who plays what console.

Sure, it's nice to know that most of my pals here play Xbox because of Live -- that's how our relationships have grown over two decades. And that's the main reason I stick with MS for my console, along with the great value of GamePass. But if someone wants to own only a PS5, rock on. I could give zero f*cks about who "wins" the console war.

I'm 55. If Sony knocks Microsoft from the console business in this generation (unlikely either will land a KO blow), then I'll move to PlayStation or drop the hobby. It's not a life-or-death proposition.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MERACE wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 pm
https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/3-big ... n-beat-ps5

-MERACE
One thing that MS has that Sony doesn't is Game Pass Ultimate. It's the best gaming value on the planet, Playstation Now doesn't come close. Horsepower is one thing but it's the games that counts which is why Sony killed it during the PSX, PS2 and PS4 eras. Microsoft had the MUCH better hardware and easier to program on when they first released the XBOX in 2001 and they still couldn't put a dent into the PS2.

If not for the RROD on the X360 MS should easily have won the battle between the two and could have taken the Nintendo Wii. I'm more interested in the mid release consoles as that's probably when I'll jump in.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MS simply needs to start putting out legit 1st party software. That’s the only thing Sony does better than MS. The specs on the new hardware lean in MS’s direction. Xbox Live, GamePass, more power, are already checkmarks in MS’s column. Sony simply has had better first party games. MS has invested in MANY studios to produce games for their new beast. If 2 or 3 of them produce a AAA title you can only get on the Xbox then Sony will feel the heat.

As far as me, I’m with PK on the whole console we thing. Play the f*ck what you want....XB, PS or both. Get your rocks off to neither. The fanboy sh*t on the gamer websites is comical. Unfortunately both companies know those “tribes” exist so they would be stupid not to pander/market to them.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

2K has announced that the price for NBA 2K21 for next gen consoles will increase to $70 and you won't get the game for free if you buy it for current systems and then you purchase a PS5 or XSX. And as the article points they may not be the only one raising prices.

https://www.pastapadre.com/2020/07/02/n ... r-next-gen

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 am
2K has announced that the price for NBA 2K21 for next gen consoles will increase to $70 and you won't get the game for free if you buy it for current systems and then you purchase a PS5 or XSX. And as the article points they may not be the only one raising prices.

https://www.pastapadre.com/2020/07/02/n ... r-next-gen
STUPID STUPID STUPID MOVE BY 2K.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25