Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote: The MS gamepass is brilliant for sure, but I’ll be honest Sony has improved the quality of their PSN and PS Plus the last couple of years. In fact when it comes to free games quality wise, their choices are slightly better than Xbox.
You would really need to back that up with some specific examples as I'd be curious to hear what titles you specifically mean.

As a PC gamer I look at things differently and XGP Ultimate is the best value on the market, not only do I get free XB games I get top tier, first party games on my PC at launch, not months later after their sales were dismal, to my knowledge you don't get new titles at launch on PSN do you?

I may not even get a next gen console since I barely use mine anymore but if I did Sony would have to come out with something to really wow me before I would chose that over an XB1 for the reasons Paul laid out.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
10spro wrote: The MS gamepass is brilliant for sure, but I’ll be honest Sony has improved the quality of their PSN and PS Plus the last couple of years. In fact when it comes to free games quality wise, their choices are slightly better than Xbox.
You would really need to back that up with some specific examples as I'd be curious to hear what titles you specifically mean.

As a PC gamer I look at things differently and XGP Ultimate is the best value on the market, not only do I get free XB games I get top tier, first party games on my PC at launch, not months later after their sales were dismal, to my knowledge you don't get new titles at launch on PSN do you?

I may not even get a next gen console since I barely use mine anymore but if I did Sony would have to come out with something to really wow me before I would chose that over an XB1 for the reasons Paul laid out.
This generation I have preferred Sony even though I'm an Xbox gamer. But MS has freaking crushed it with Game Pass Ultimate. For $99 a yr which is roughly the price of two retail games, you get any newly released Microsoft game either on the XONE or PC. For $180 a yr basically 3 retail games you get GPU+XBL included.

I agree with Dan about the value of GPU and there's a ton of recently released games on the service. I plan on re-upping once my current subscription runs out in 2021.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:

This generation I have preferred Sony even though I'm an Xbox gamer. But MS has freaking crushed it with Game Pass Ultimate. For $99 a yr which is roughly the price of two retail games, you get any newly released Microsoft game either on the XONE or PC. For $180 a yr basically 3 retail games you get GPU+XBL included.

I agree with Dan about the value of GPU and there's a ton of recently released games on the service. I plan on re-upping once my current subscription runs out in 2021.
I already did. It’s too much of a value. Here is a question. Is it going to continue with the Xbox Series X? Microsoft has a pretty deep stable of studios they bought so if they release a “first party” game will will get it with GPU?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:

I can think of two titles right now. Uncharted 4: A thief’s end and Dirt Rally 2. Of course this all subjective to each individual’ taste, another title that was free I believe was Knack 2

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DIRT Rally 2.0 also is available on Xbox GamePass. So that's no feather for Sony's cap.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:I already did. It’s too much of a value. Here is a question. Is it going to continue with the Xbox Series X? Microsoft has a pretty deep stable of studios they bought so if they release a “first party” game will will get it with GPU?
I don't see why not. MS took a backseat to Sony this gen and they countered with backwards compatibility, EA Access and now Xbox Game Pass. I think EA Access and Game Pass are here to stay. The videogame industry is pushing Digital not physical games.
10spro wrote:I can think of two titles right now. Uncharted 4: A thief’s end and Dirt Rally 2. Of course this all subjective to each individual’ taste, another title that was free I believe was Knack 2
But MS has offered up all it's first party games (not sure about DLC if it's included free?) but Game Pass put out the new Wolfenstein games along with Metro Exodus and the new Tomb Raider game.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote: Here is a question. Is it going to continue with the Xbox Series X? Microsoft has a pretty deep stable of studios they bought so if they release a “first party” game will will get it with GPU?
I honestly see no reason why it wouldn't and also if you game on the PC you not only have GPU, you have EA which is $100 a year for all there games and new releases. So if I had purchased Madden and Battlefield I already went over that cost. Ubisoft has there own service now as well, plus Epic gives out free games weekly games. Turns out when I see something I want on steam I need to check the other services to see if it is already there. Now with some Sony games coming to the PC like Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding and hopefully The Show, from a price for value standpoint there hasn't been a better time to be a PC gamer if you're someone like me who typically bought 4-6 games a month.

So again I can't see why they would eliminate the one thing that has given them such a boost for next Gen. MS is a lot of things but typically not stupid since turning over the games division Spencer.
Follow Me on:

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pk500 wrote:I'm not paying too much attention to the tech arms race between the two consoles because I've been Xbox exclusive since 2002 and don't plan to change. Sony could have tech in the PS5 that would launch a SpaceX rocket, but it's irrelevant if its online gaming doesn't exceed the capabilities of Xbox Live.

Since PSN never has matched XBL, I'm not holding my breath. Not to mention the brilliance of Xbox Game Pass. I'm not into the hobby enough for two machines, so there's no way in hell I'm giving up XBL and GamePass for slightly prettier pictures or slightly quicker load times.
100% agree

Not to say I wouldn't give the PS5 some thought, but I switched a long time ago when the X360 came out and have too many games to really think I would make the switch.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:100% agree

Not to say I wouldn't give the PS5 some thought, but I switched a long time ago when the X360 came out and have too many games to really think I would make the switch.
Full disclaimer: This is a gross generalization, but I think Sony focuses on hardware and exclusive titles. Not a bad strategy. Microsoft focuses on the online experience and providing better vehicles to play more games, such as Xbox GamePass. That jives far better with my gaming habits than Sony's mojo.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

pk500 wrote:I'm not paying too much attention to the tech arms race between the two consoles because I've been Xbox exclusive since 2002 and don't plan to change. Sony could have tech in the PS5 that would launch a SpaceX rocket, but it's irrelevant if its online gaming doesn't exceed the capabilities of Xbox Live.

Since PSN never has matched XBL, I'm not holding my breath. Not to mention the brilliance of Xbox Game Pass. I'm not into the hobby enough for two machines, so there's no way in hell I'm giving up XBL and GamePass for slightly prettier pictures or slightly quicker load times.
This pretty much describes me. We did pick up a PS4 for awhile because I wanted to play The Show. While I ended up playing way too little of the Show to make it worth it, my wife did enjoy HZD and Spiderman. So we might pick up a PS5 at some point, but I doubt we keep it around. The Xbox ecosystem is too good to drop at this point.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'll probably replace my PC with a newer gaming rig before I purchase any new console. My daughter can have my pc with the GTX 970 video card, as all she does is play The Sims and then I can upgrade to a nice pc with something like a 2070 or 2080 video card.

I'm amazed at how much I have gotten out of this GTX 970 video card, at least for games I play on pc. I find myself playing pc games so much more than console games lately, but it does come and go between my pc and xbox1x.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:100% agree

Full disclaimer: This is a gross generalization, but I think Sony focuses on hardware and exclusive titles. Not a bad strategy. Microsoft focuses on the online experience and providing better vehicles to play more games, such as Xbox GamePass. That jives far better with my gaming habits than Sony's mojo.
Not a generalization at all really. Think it’s been pretty obvious for the last few cycles (ps3 and ps4) that is indeed the case.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Microsoft developer inXile Entertainment says their next game after Wasteland 3 will be using Unreal Engine 5.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/unrea ... 0-6477480/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This is a good article if anyone is interested about Microsoft's vision regarding the XSX and Game Pass and how it plans to change the industry going forward. I didn't realize they signed up this many talented developers for their in house studios.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/with- ... 0-6477138/

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looks like we may finally get to see the PS5 next week. Gamespot is saying they have an event planned for June 3rd.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony- ... 04-10aaa1d
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

June 4th 4pm EST.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Good to see the board upgrade didn't fiox the video display issues with Chrome browsers LOL

Every video posted is a broken link to me.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sony delayed the presser on Thursday due to the chaos going on around the country. No new date set.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Sony delayed the presser on Thursday due to the chaos going on around the country. No new date set.
That was probably a smart move on their part. No point in trying to set a new date at this time... no telling how much longer this is going to go!?

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Rescheduled for 6/11.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:58 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
Rescheduled for 6/11.
Thanks for the heads up.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

There was an article posted on the BBC with Phil Spencer and how the biggest dilemma facing Sony and Microsoft later this year is that a lot of people might not have the money to buy a new console. Phil says that MS is not worried about it with the services they offer like Game Pass. Boy it would be nice if the Series X was added to the "All Access Subscription" program.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52961835

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

"More Evidence Of Rumored Low-Cost Xbox Has Been Found"

The console is rumored to be a disc-free, digital-only version of the Xbox Series X, with some expecting it to be launched as the Xbox Series S. Without an official confirmation, however, details are still scarce on the ground--but for Project Lockhart hopefuls, there's still a chance that a second Xbox console is in the works.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more- ... 0-6478171/

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm
"More Evidence Of Rumored Low-Cost Xbox Has Been Found"

The console is rumored to be a disc-free, digital-only version of the Xbox Series X, with some expecting it to be launched as the Xbox Series S. Without an official confirmation, however, details are still scarce on the ground--but for Project Lockhart hopefuls, there's still a chance that a second Xbox console is in the works.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more- ... 0-6478171/
I honestly don’t know if I have EVER put a disc in my Xbox One X. Haven’t bought a game on disc in years. If this thing exists, is the same console minus the disc drive then it may be my choice.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25