Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Next Gen XBOX (Project Scarlett) and PlayStation 5

Post by XXXIV »

J_Cauthen wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
vader29 wrote:Microsoft reveals the next-gen Xbox Series X, coming holiday 2020
https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/12/2101 ... s-tga-2019
Looks like the monolith from 2001 space odyssey after too many cheese burgers.
I don't care if it looks like Jabba the Hut after too many keg parties, if it can render The Golf Club 2021 in ray traced 4K HDR @ 60 FPS, I mush have one :D It does look a bit fugly though... I wonder what the dimensions of it are? I've got two adjustable shelves in the center bay of my entertainment center cabinet that would accommodate it horizontally. Microsoft says it can sit horizontally as well as vertically. I just wonder if it cools as well horizontally has it would vertically? I get the impression that it wouldn't, but I don't have enough information to make a final judgement on that.

Whatever alterations are needed to my entertainment center, I must own one of these 12 teraflop, virtually no load time, ray tracing beasts 8)
I will be getting one at some point for sure.

I do need it to be horizontal.

Is that a 4k drive on the side? I know Im old school obsolete but I like me some 4k Blu ray movies and an occasional game disc too.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

XXXIV wrote:I will be getting one at some point for sure.

I do need it to be horizontal.

Is that a 4k drive on the side? I know Im old school obsolete but I like me some 4k Blu ray movies and an occasional game disc too.
Yes, that's a Blu-ray drive you're seeing on the front. Phil Spencer said it could be horizontally oriented. Here's a couple of diagrams I found elsewhere that shows the relative sizes of all the XBox One family.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... aing-x.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f27/14/74/63/38/wemf6j10.jpg

If you stood up an XBox One X vertically, it would be within a millimeter or two shorter than the Series X. It looks to be 2 1/4 time thicker than the XBox One X, if you were to lay the Series X down horizontally.

I can adjust my current XBox One X shelf down two pegs and give it plenty of space in my current entertainment center cabinet. I get the impression that it won't look as good with a horizontal orientation, but then again I don't often look at my XBox One X when gaming now. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'll wait for the mid cycle XSX release which hopefully will have even more juice under the hood to compete with the PS5 Pro.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:I'll wait for the mid cycle XSX release which hopefully will have even more juice under the hood to compete with the PS5 Pro.
Bahahahaha
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
Rodster wrote:I'll wait for the mid cycle XSX release which hopefully will have even more juice under the hood to compete with the PS5 Pro.
Bahahahaha
You know good & well that we can't get through this thread without the obligatory trolling fanboy jabs. Now that it's happened, we can hopefully move on to more substantive discussions! :)

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

X Series X? Lame name, but whatever. I'll be pre-ordering for a day one purchase.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Pete1210 wrote:X Series X? Lame name, but whatever. I'll be pre-ordering for a day one purchase.
Yep
GT = Wilk5280

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Bahahahaha
You know good & well that we can't get through this thread without the obligatory trolling fanboy jabs. Now that it's happened, we can hopefully move on to more substantive discussions! :)
Nah, I didn't take it as a fanboy jab. I'm planning on sitting out both consoles until the mid cycle refresh. I've lost my interest in gaming, been doing it too damn long. If anything by the time the mid-cycle consoles come out, I should have enough Microsoft Rewards points saved up to get that mid-cycle XSX refresh either for free or for little out of pocket cost.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Nah, I didn't take it as a fanboy jab. I'm planning on sitting out both consoles until the mid cycle refresh. I've lost my interest in gaming, been doing it too damn long. If anything by the time the mid-cycle consoles come out, I should have enough Microsoft Rewards points saved up to get that mid-cycle XSX refresh either for free or for little out of pocket cost.
If there wasn't going to be a launch title that I wanted badly, I'd be taking this approach also. Forza 7 is number 2 in my five games I play on the XBox One X. I know Forza 8 will be a launch title, so I won't be able to resist. The 'mid-cycle' XSX might come out earlier than expected though. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see an XBox Series X (Scarlett) and XBox Series S (Lockhart) launched simultaneously.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just read an interesting take in an IGN article on the next Xbox. They don’t believe the name revealed is the name of the actual console...but the upcoming family of consoles. Here is the actual quote.
I think the biggest clue to be gleaned from Series X is in comparison to the current top-end Xbox, the Xbox One X. I think we didn’t actually learn the title of the top-end Xbox, but rather the name of the new Xbox Series.
They go on to say they think the high end Xbox will be named Xbox <insert name> X. I think it’s a solid take.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Bahahahaha
Wasn't meant to be a fan boy jab. I was laughing because the PS5 and XBX aren't even out and he is waiting for the 2nd XBX to be better then the second PS5 LOL

So again Bahahahahaha
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Oh and for the record I'm on the fence about getting either of them. Aside from Watching Netflix or Disney + I haven't turned on my Xbox in months and I'm not even sure if my PS4 works I haven't turned it on in so long. LOL
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Don't know if any of you having any interest in this feature but MS wants to link game saves from the XONE so you can pickup where you left off on the Series X.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/xbox-s ... n-xbox-one

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Rodster wrote:Don't know if any of you having any interest in this feature but MS wants to link game saves from the XONE so you can pickup where you left off on the Series X.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/xbox-s ... n-xbox-one
That's great - more BC the better. Also was happy to read that my XB1 controllers will be compatible with the new console.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:Oh and for the record I'm on the fence about getting either of them. Aside from Watching Netflix or Disney + I haven't turned on my Xbox in months and I'm not even sure if my PS4 works I haven't turned it on in so long. LOL
I feel pretty much the same way. I'm leaning towards the PS5 simply because of the inclusion of VR. I just like to have that added option. But, my console gaming has really dropped off significantly over the last year. With my son building a PC, I'm intrigued to see how gaming is on there.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote: I feel pretty much the same way. I'm leaning towards the PS5 simply because of the inclusion of VR. I just like to have that added option. But, my console gaming has really dropped off significantly over the last year. With my son building a PC, I'm intrigued to see how gaming is on there.
95% of my gaming time now is on the PC. Sure there are occasional games I can't find on the PC like Spiderman, Last of Us etc which are mainly PS exclusives but playing on the PC is less expensive for me.

I have Origin Premiere that's $100 a year. This year I've played Anthem, Madden, Fifa, BF 5 and Jedi Fallen Order. All deluxe version of the game, all I would of bought at $59.99. So that's a $200 savings, not to mention all the other games on here like all the Mass Effects.

Throw in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate which I got for $1 to something like 2021 and I get another s*** ton of games and games like Gears 5, Forza, Metro and Master Chief Collection.

I still have't pulled the trigger on Ubisoft's service and whatever games I buy are on sale on Steam. I can count on one hand the games I purchased this year. 2 Ubisoft games, RDR2 and I think that is it. I've spent so much less money on game purchases this year and last that it's never even crosses my mind to turn on the console.

Plus I'm getting a Rift S for Christmas so that should be a nice addition to my PC. I've always been I'll game on whatever system has what I want to play. The PC has almost everything I want to play.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:Oh and for the record I'm on the fence about getting either of them. Aside from Watching Netflix or Disney + I haven't turned on my Xbox in months and I'm not even sure if my PS4 works I haven't turned it on in so long. LOL
I feel pretty much the same way. I'm leaning towards the PS5 simply because of the inclusion of VR. I just like to have that added option. But, my console gaming has really dropped off significantly over the last year. With my son building a PC, I'm intrigued to see how gaming is on there.
I can’t imagine the Xbox Series X won’t have VR support. It was hinted at in one of the original announcements. Plus the PSVR is about as basic as it gets.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:I can’t imagine the Xbox Series X won’t have VR support. It was hinted at in one of the original announcements. Plus the PSVR is about as basic as it gets.
Phil Spencer of Microsoft indicated the Series X will have more than enough hardware for VR if enough Xbox customers demand it as a future development. He said the current Xbox customer base hasn't expressed enough interest in VR gaming for it to be a standard feature on the Series X.

In other words, MS has learned from the huge mistake it made forcing the Kinect down everyone's throats at the launch of the XB1. Smart.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote: Phil Spencer of Microsoft indicated the Series X will have more than enough hardware for VR if enough Xbox customers demand it as a future development. He said the current Xbox customer base hasn't expressed enough interest in VR gaming for it to be a standard feature on the Series X.

In other words, MS has learned from the huge mistake it made forcing the Kinect down everyone's throats at the launch of the XB1. Smart.
My hunch is they open it up to 3rd party headsets like the Rift of Vibe and stay away from making the hardware. These machines are essentially high powered PC's it makes no sense not to let someone else do the work.

I think their push is going to be getting XCloud correct, since Stadia is pretty much a pile of dog s*** at this point, they have a real opportunity here if they can launch better and actually meet their promises something Stadia has f***ed up royally.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

As long as the VR or whatever it is doesn't interfere with my experience it means zero to me. ZERO

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Danimal wrote:
sportdan30 wrote: I feel pretty much the same way. I'm leaning towards the PS5 simply because of the inclusion of VR. I just like to have that added option. But, my console gaming has really dropped off significantly over the last year. With my son building a PC, I'm intrigued to see how gaming is on there.
95% of my gaming time now is on the PC. Sure there are occasional games I can't find on the PC like Spiderman, Last of Us etc which are mainly PS exclusives but playing on the PC is less expensive for me.

I have Origin Premiere that's $100 a year. This year I've played Anthem, Madden, Fifa, BF 5 and Jedi Fallen Order. All deluxe version of the game, all I would of bought at $59.99. So that's a $200 savings, not to mention all the other games on here like all the Mass Effects.

Throw in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate which I got for $1 to something like 2021 and I get another s*** ton of games and games like Gears 5, Forza, Metro and Master Chief Collection.

I still have't pulled the trigger on Ubisoft's service and whatever games I buy are on sale on Steam. I can count on one hand the games I purchased this year. 2 Ubisoft games, RDR2 and I think that is it. I've spent so much less money on game purchases this year and last that it's never even crosses my mind to turn on the console.

Plus I'm getting a Rift S for Christmas so that should be a nice addition to my PC. I've always been I'll game on whatever system has what I want to play. The PC has almost everything I want to play.
Didn't get either the ps4 or xb1 and haven't really missed them. The PC the past 5 years has been great. While hardware costs are higher, games can be dirt cheap during sales. Plus the immersion I get with VR games be it racing, flying, or playing pinball, is second to none. About the only things that tempt me towards a console again are Gran Turismo Sport (but then again, I have much better sims on the PC, and Forza got long in the tooth) or sports games (I can always pull something from my older gen library in a pinch).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
pk500 wrote: Phil Spencer of Microsoft indicated the Series X will have more than enough hardware for VR if enough Xbox customers demand it as a future development. He said the current Xbox customer base hasn't expressed enough interest in VR gaming for it to be a standard feature on the Series X.

My hunch is they open it up to 3rd party headsets like the Rift of Vibe and stay away from making the hardware. These machines are essentially high powered PC's it makes no sense not to let someone else do the work.

I think their push is going to be getting XCloud correct, since Stadia is pretty much a pile of dog s*** at this point, they have a real opportunity here if they can launch better and actually meet their promises something Stadia has f***ed up royally.
All excellent points, Dan!

Here's an over-under bet for everyone: Which will have a longer shelf life among Google products, Stadia or Google+? Tough call.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote: All excellent points, Dan!

Here's an over-under bet for everyone: Which will have a longer shelf life among Google products, Stadia or Google+? Tough call.
I like to think I know whats going on out there but I dont know what either one does nor do I care.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

With the year coming to a close I am starting to get excited to see all of the new info that will be trickling out on the new systems. If you look at the old Xbox/PS4 thread there is a block in there of the last six months before release where vids of the PS4 and Xbox Ones new UI, etc. start showing up. It’s a fun time checking this board to see how everyone sees how it is unfolding. Hopefully there are some big surprises when things start to appear.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It’s funny, I really could care less about what they are “offering”. There will be a PS5 and a new Xbox and I will buy them, almost without even thinking about it. It’s a hobby I enjoy and I just figure I’m spending a grand every 5 years on new consoles and another fifteen hundred on a new PC every 3 years. It’s just the way it goes...and I plan accordingly.

It’s the Switch that really threw me for a loop since I buy more games and play it more than either of my other two consoles/PC. Crazy.