OT Printers

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT Printers

Post by Danimal »

Sorry no time to thread search and this is urgent.

I need a new printer for the home office. It needs to be able to print in color and scan. I don't care about faxing and it doesn't need to do photos. Looking for good quality and something that doesn't go through ink every 20 copies. I can't afford a laser jet. Oh also needs to be able to be connected to wireless. I have an older Canon Pixma that is dying and go through ink like my kids go through my money.

Looking for any suggestions and I know we have some hardware hounds in here.

Thanks
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT Printers

Post by dbdynsty25 »

In short...it doesn’t matter. They are all disposable these days w/ the features you need. The ink costs far more than the printers themselves so just buy one that is made by HP, Epson or Canon, around 100 bucks (at the most) that does scanning and printing. Really that’s the answer. If top speed and photos aren’t important, any printer will do. Hard to go wrong really.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I replaced my old printer last year with this HP OfficeJet Pro 6978:

(https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-officej ... Id=5119600)

Since I've gone paperless (almost 10 years ago) I rarely have the need to print something out on paper. However, when I did I would discover that the ink cartridges have dried up.

Some of the newer HP printers have an option for an ink cartridge subscription called HP Instant Ink. Since I don't print many copies I went with the lowest priced subscription plan ($2.99 plan for 50 pages a month) which is based on the number of pages you print out per month.

For me, it's much cheaper to go with the Instant Ink cartridge plan than just buying the regular HP ink cartridges at my local store (and even online).

-MERACE

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

If you go through a lot of inkjet and don't need photos, a laserjet is more cost effective these days in the long run than you might think. I rarely print anything, but my wife (school teacher) and teenagers print a lot of stuff and the inkjet replacement costs were killing me. The HP All In One Inkjet we had been using was dying from a printing standpoint, but still fine for scanning, so I just added an HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw for a little over $200 about 6 months ago. I have yet to have to replace the toner and my past couple years with the All-In-One Inkjet, I would have already spent about $150 on ink cartridges (never found good refurbished ones that you could count on). See review link below.

Also, you all are probably familiar with Wirecutter, but I have found it to be a very reliable site when you need a quick appraisal on a purchase. I used to be someone who would spend days/weeks researching multiple review sites and forums before making a purchase, but I just don't have the time or will power anymore. Wirecutter has yet to steer me wrong on tech related gear, but they review just about everything.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/
Last edited by DChaps on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Second the recommendation on Wirecutter. I have purchased around 10 products based on its recommendations, and the only one that wasn't absolutely mega was an iPhone case. Found Magpul cases and never turned back.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks all, I was not familiar with wirecutter nor a laser jet for that cheap. Mainly we are printing kids school work as a family but I'm printing large numbers of documents as I play test and prototype board games so something that pumps out color prints semi fast but does drink ink like and Irishman at a pub is preferred. I swear I'm replacing a ink jet cartridge on my Canon Pixma once a week.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Quick search for that Laserjet come in at the 500-600 dollar range. I'd say you got a steal at just over $200
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:Thanks all, I was not familiar with wirecutter nor a laser jet for that cheap. Mainly we are printing kids school work as a family but I'm printing large numbers of documents as I play test and prototype board games so something that pumps out color prints semi fast but does drink ink like and Irishman at a pub is preferred. I swear I'm replacing a ink jet cartridge on my Canon Pixma once a week.
Back in the mid 90's a ran a toner and inkjet refill business. I've been out of the loop for awhile now but you might want to check to see if those are refillable. If they are you can buy bulk ink like in a pint per whatever color you need. Refill the cartridge, pennies per page. And refilling ink cartridges depending on the type of cartridge are usually easy especially the Canon cartridges.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Sorry, I posted the correct link, but referenced the wrong printer. The one that I purchased and works great for kids and wife's school projects and such is the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer - currently on sale at Amazon for $219

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R2WVKB?ta ... AAAAAAAS4R

I was like you describe, replacing ink jet cartridges almost every month. Have not yet had to replace the toner on this one after 6 months and it prints great quality and really fast!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DChaps wrote:Sorry, I posted the correct link, but referenced the wrong printer. The one that I purchased and works great for kids and wife's school projects and such is the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer - currently on sale at Amazon for $219

I was like you describe, replacing ink jet cartridges almost every month. Have not yet had to replace the toner on this one after 6 months and it prints great quality and really fast!
I almost pulled the trigger on this last night but it has a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. I take those with a grain of salt because I can count on one hand how many times I posted a positive review on Amazon. However the recurring theme is it losing connection and having to restart the printer. I saw the next model up for like $339, just not sure which way to go.

One question did it come with the toner cartridges and there are 5 right? 1 black and 4 color?
Follow Me on:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I don’t know the model number, but we bought a Canon megatank model last year and it’s the first time I haven’t hated a printer in a while. It is really nice not having to replace ink very often
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DChaps wrote:Sorry, I posted the correct link, but referenced the wrong printer. The one that I purchased and works great for kids and wife's school projects and such is the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer - currently on sale at Amazon for $219

Went to Office Max checked this one out and bought it at lunch. My Canon just flat out died finally Monday so no other choice. Seems good.
Follow Me on:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Danimal wrote:

Went to Office Max checked this one out and bought it at lunch. My Canon just flat out died finally Monday so no other choice. Seems good.
Cool, I hope it works out for you as well as it has for us. The speed and quality has been a nice step up from the office jet we had and we have still not had to change toner on ours after more than 6 months. This is just with the stock toner that came with the printer. I have had to re-connect it to the network once or twice with a power off/on, which was about what I had with my previous printer and I have a very spotty wireless network in the house in general. Has not been as big an issue for us as some of the posts seem to point to. Let me know if you run into any questions or issues and I will see what I can do to help.