PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:50 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

UFO Helicopters :)

Post subject: Re: Codemasters F1 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:16 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Those choppers much create their own inertia canceling gravitational fields to be able to move like that. Otherwise, the pilots would be turned into goo by the G-forces! Seriously, that's not a good look for the game 8O

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:26 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

I have not experienced the FFB loss on Xbox One X as of yet, but I will know tonight. I plan to run at least 10 laps of Time Trials at Hungary with each car for 2019 starting with Williams and working my way up to Mercedes. If the FFB loss is going to happen, I would think I would experience it during this test. It should also give me a good feel for if the differences between the various cars can be felt in the driving model/physics as opposed to just being slower/faster in lap times. This may be the best version of F1 to date by Codemasters, but I do need to spend more time with it before making that a definitive statement. (F1 2013 on 360 still holds that title for now). Not sure if it is yet worth the Day 1 Legends purchase, but I am enjoying it so far. Not sure what time I will start, but I may stream my TT attempt on my Mixer channel for anyone that is super bored or super medicated. :)

https://mixer.com/dchaps66

PS - Anyone have good recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive blue tooth wireless headset that will work with Xbox One X without any special dongles/connectors and provides good mic for streaming? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:26 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Not sure how "good" they are, but I have Turtle Beach Stealth 700s just sitting in a box. It connects directly to the console (not sure many other headsets do), so no Dongle necessary. If I can find them, I can send them to you, Don.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:50 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Rodster wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:
Did you by chance try the F2 cars? I'm reading some positive feedback on that, which I find more appealing than F1 from a driving feel standpoint anyway.

Yes I did and as I noted, they at least to me drive no different than the 2018/2019/1970's/1980's/1990's Formula 1 cars, I tried most of them. At least that's the impression I got and I came to that conclusion because I did not have to change my driving style one bit driving any of those cars. You may come to a different conclusion but it felt like a cut and paste physics job to me.

I satisfied myself that they all drove differently, though you'll note immediately that there's a difference between "I satisfied myself of this" and "this is true". Still, let's examine in detail anyway.

The F2 cars have less grip generally, much less front aero and require a completely different approach to your corner entry. This is because a) you absolutely cannot afford to lock an inside front - the front end is never coming back to you if you do - and b) you're going to lock an inside front. They sound glorious, they race brilliantly, they're proper pieces of kit, but if you drive them exactly as you drive the F1 cars, they shouldn't deliver the lap time they're capable of.

By the same token, you should be finding that something like the Ferrari F2004 (short wheelbase, light weight, glorious V10, traction control) is a much more nimble beast than a modern F1 car (none of the above). Run them back-to-back at Paul Ricard and you'll hopefully see how much more willing the F2004 is to change direction through the switchbacks early in the lap. I say "hopefully" because I really don't want to have dreamed all of that.

Viewed as an overall package, I'd be quite happy to endorse any suggestion that F1 2019 is the best Codemasters effort to date, which does nothing to explain why I sold it. Here's the thing: the AI is brilliant, the sound is convincing, the official graphics are like drinking Dr Pepper for the first time after 10 years of being told that Dr Thunder is the same thing...but I've done this before. I don't have the appetite to do those practice programmes again, nor those interviews, nor telling Jeff to shut up again. I thought the new driver transfers might help to hold my interest but to find out, I'd need to play it for long enough to get that far, which I didn't.

F1 2019 is better than its predecessor. It is very, very good at what it does. I've grown a bit bored of what it does.

Writing about racing cars, again: petrolheadblogger.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 am 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Like I said, when I drove the different cars regardless of year, I found I didn’t have to change my driving style or compensate in any way because of changes in grip. They felt, pretty much the same to me. Granted i’m using a controller and not a wheel setup. The AI is pretty good for a Codemaster’s game but I still love the AI in Grand Prix 4.

Again these are all my impressions after spending a few hours with the game. As I previously mentioned you guys may feel differently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:39 am 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

We may. However...

What I would say is that there's not enough difference between the modern stuff and the older classic cars in particular. I'm on PS4 using a controller and maybe a wheel user would have a different experience, but say I wanted to drive the Lotus 72 like Ronnie Peterson, all power-on oversteer and opposite lock. I can't.

I can't drive it like the modern car either, because the downforce isn't there and so my approach has to change, but there are things the physics engine will not let me do even though the car could be driven that way in period. I'm not expecting the 1996 Williams to drift everywhere (it should understeer, which it does, and it should be a bit ponderous compared to the modern cars, which it is - I'm fine with that) but I would quite like it if I could steer the 70s cars on the throttle.

Writing about racing cars, again: petrolheadblogger.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

GB_Simo wrote:
We may. However...

What I would say is that there's not enough difference between the modern stuff and the older classic cars in particular. I'm on PS4 using a controller and maybe a wheel user would have a different experience, but say I wanted to drive the Lotus 72 like Ronnie Peterson, all power-on oversteer and opposite lock. I can't.

I can't drive it like the modern car either, because the downforce isn't there and so my approach has to change, but there are things the physics engine will not let me do even though the car could be driven that way in period. I'm not expecting the 1996 Williams to drift everywhere (it should understeer, which it does, and it should be a bit ponderous compared to the modern cars, which it is - I'm fine with that) but I would quite like it if I could steer the 70s cars on the throttle.

On a last minute impulse, I bought it before the XBox Gold price of $41.99 ended. I've played it for about an hour, and I can say I'm already more pleased with it - at least offline - than I was with F1 2018. I didn't make a ton of changes to the force feedback, plus the feedback variables they've allowed you to change are a bit different from 2018, but even my first guess at them produced more satisfying effects, IMO.

I was also more pleased with the AI, for reasons I can't fully put my finger on. I set the AI at 46% with slightly passive aggression and that seems to be a good fit, so far, for someone of my less than average racing skills. I don't know that I could tell that much of a difference in the graphics, but the animation seemed to be more consistent and fluid.

I haven't spent enough time to unravel it yet, but so far I'm happy with it. I just hope they eventually get the force feedback issues worked out for online racing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 pm 
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

The 1.07 patch was released this morning for both the PS4 and XBox One. I did two Grand Prix season (using the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2 ) races at 25%, with the AI set to 46%. I qualified 13th in the first one and got off to a slow start and wound up 15th. The second race I qualified 17th, climbed to 15th, fell back to 17th and raced in a pack of four cars (14th through 17th) for the majority of the race, managing only to temporarily pass the 16th place car, only to get squeezed out in the next turn. I finally made a pass with a half lap to go when the 16th place car got too much kerb trying to pass the 15th place car. He lost momentum and I managed to complete the pass and maintain it, although he had another go at me coming off the last turn!

I'm finding the AI in this game to be incredibly lifelike. It was like the other drivers were playing a very calculated game of chicken with me, while not crossing the line and being unsporting. This is easily the most captivating F1 game I've played, although I've probably only played maybe a third of those in this series. For some reason, I sat them out from 15 to 17, picking up 18 only after it was placed on Game Pass.

I've been able to get distinctive feel on the Classic and F2 cars via the force-feedback, which I find more realistic than that of F1 2018. I'll be tweaking the wheel settings for months to come probably before I get them dialed in, as the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2, the F2, and the F1 cars each call for unique adjustments to their force feedback and wheel calibration to make them feel right to me. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this game and have no regrets about picking it up at $42! :D