Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by Rodster »

I know not too many here are into these types of games but if you are a fan of Bloodborne or Nioh on the PS4, this game is pretty badass. This time From Software changed the mechanics and it's pretty close to Bloodborne in that it leans towards offense than defense. The key is to deflect then attack. Timing in this game is crucial in that when you time a deflection just right it breaks the posture of the attacker and you can go in for the kill. As the title of the game says, you will die a lot. I've gotten better and beat the first mini boss but getting your ass kicked in this game is par for the course.

Graphics have a Nioh look about them moreso than any of the Dark Souls or Bloodbourne games, maybe it's the color they chose.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by Danimal »

What platform?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:What platform?
It's available for the PC, XBOX and PS4. I'm playing it on the PS4 Pro cause my rig is 6 yrs old and I doubt it can handle that game. I just watched a YT video where one of the IGN.com guys beat the first boss (you're supposed to die) in the game. The boss came back to life in a cutscene and killed him anyways.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Crazy thing is, I played this thing for the full hour from release until I went to bed at midnight (games release at 11PM CT, my time zone).

I died once--to the first mini-boss, but only because I had a sliver of health the first time I fought him after beating the first 6 or 7 guys on my way to that boss. Whatever it is with this game (probably a false sense of security they instill early on), the mechanics/animations/movement match my gameplay style/preferences EXPONENTIALLY more. There's no huge swinging of some strange weapon you can barely see, trying to time a dodge roll.

No...you get a clear sword being swung at you, and you can use the trigger (I remapped the controls to triggers instead of bumpers) to parry it just as it strikes. Counter attack for instant kills on weaklings, and you can still use the R stick to target your next opponent while mid-killing-blow.

As soon as I got the grappling hook and could leap to trees/rooftops/whatever, and hide in tall brush...it felt a lot more like an old school Assassin's Creed game with insta-kills. When they started getting unblockable attacks where I had to know to jump over it instead of parrying it, it definitely turned into a rock/paper/scissors game of dueling blades, but I had almost NONE of the dread I feel when playing a "Soulsborne" game.

The freedom of exploration, stealth kills from leap attacks (straight out of AC), "awareness" icons where they start to see you, counter attacks that insta-kill...it actually feels MUCH closer to a highly lethal old school Assassin's Creed came to me, strangely.

I can't wait to dip into it some more this evening, but I'm pissed it launched so close to The Division 2 :lol:

I think it just lines up with how I want to play a game like this. Fast, high mobility, escape routes, etc. Dark Souls felt like a single-step-at-a-time, deliberate pace with my shield out at all times, where it feels like it's constantly trying to booby-trap-kill me. Sekiro felt like a game that let me survey my surroundings, plan my attack, and adapt if it went sideways.

Absolutely loved what I saw last night. I'm sure there will be a part (probably boss 2 or 3) where I get frustrated and stop (much like Bloodborne), but this has had a much stronger impression on me out of the gates, because the mechanics changed so drastically. It's almost like FromSoftware decided to try their hand at a Zelda/God of War hybrid (getting new tools allows you to tackle different puzzles/bosses like Zelda).

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I think this is a great summary that explains it better than I could. I feel the same way about almost everything:

https://www.gameinformer.com/opinion/20 ... ne-for-now

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I dont know how I missed this game. As a huge fan of the Souls series this is right up my alley. A must buy for me but I am afraid if I get it now I will never ever learn how to shoot in the Division 2.
TCrouch wrote: I can't wait to dip into it some more this evening, but I'm pissed it launched so close to The Division 2 :lol:
I can actually feel that. I hated that RDR 2 and ACO were so close together as I am not able to play two games that big and that engrossing at the same time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The IGN guy who killed the 1st boss that's supposed to kill you instead showed off a move that the game tells you about in the beginning which is to jump and as you're coming down slash/attack the enemy which takes away a bunch of their health including bosses. I need to try and practice it. I still haven't gotten the hang of kicking someone in Souls 3 so pulling off the IGN move might take awhile. :lol:

Terry have you figured out how to get the item way in the beginning of the game up on the ledge? It's right when the game starts. Instead of moving forward and climbing the walls you turn around and swim, and up on the ledge there's an item. I tried jumping and trying to grab something to hold onto but nothing seemed to work.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Rodster wrote:The IGN guy who killed the 1st boss that's supposed to kill you instead showed off a move that the game tells you about in the beginning which is to jump and as you're coming down slash/attack the enemy which takes away a bunch of their health including bosses. I need to try and practice it. I still haven't gotten the hang of kicking someone in Souls 3 so pulling off the IGN move might take awhile. :lol:
I had read about that, so when I saw the first red symbol over his head, I jumped and it kicked him in the head all on its own. It really didn't take anything more complicated than normal parrying, since you just attack in the air once you kick off of his face.
Rodster wrote:Terry have you figured out how to get the item way in the beginning of the game up on the ledge? It's right when the game starts. Instead of moving forward and climbing the walls you turn around and swim, and up on the ledge there's an item. I tried jumping and trying to grab something to hold onto but nothing seemed to work.
No, I didn't...I started swimming, and then since it was a FromSoftware game, was afraid that something would start eating me and I'd die before I could get back. Never got to the end after trying to dive underwater briefly (not sure what I was thinking there). I was just too amazed you could actually swim in a FS game.