MLB The Show 20

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 19

Post by sportdan30 »

Played for a couple hours last night. There are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but it didn't really detract from my overall experience.

The game itself felt and plays like a refined version of '18. Fielding and hitting are improved and that alone warrants the purchase in my opinion. Fielding especially was a pet peeve of mine last year and that seems to be cleaned up.

I played a few innings with the new pre and post camera cuts between pitches and at bats. It's definitely more immersive and feels more like a game you're watching on tv, but my playing time is fairly limited on most nights. And I prefer a quicker pace, so while I can appreciate what they have implemented, I prefer quick counts and quick play, mixed with a little Hybrid every now and then. So, I guess some of these new additions won't be appreciated that much by me.

Like the new scoreboard overlays, yet I believe I don't see the pitch count on quick play with quick counts. Have to examine this further.

The overall interface is more to my liking.

Some player model faces and builds look much improved. Hair on the other hand still looks pretty awful on the majority of players. Yes, it's a nit pick but it just looks bad. Hoping the PS5 will bring better overall player models.

Loving the hit variety. Seeing quite a few balls land just inside the foul lines or just beyond. Some home runs are moon shots while others are line drives. Haven't seen a ball hit the pitcher yet which is a good sign. A good variety of bloops and liners to the outfield as well.

A speedy outfielder can definitely cover more ground (Bader gets a great jump compared to Fowler).

Commentary doesn't seem touched except for the cut to Heidi Watney, which is a nice addition. Have noticed a few incorrect lines by Matt and his team. I still think a two man crew in the booth makes more sense than a 3 man booth. Regardless, I'm sooooo tired of the commentary in this game.

Played about a half hour of RTTS. I guess it's better in that there's more of a RPG element to it. But it still is pretty much the same mode as last year. I don't know how much I'll play it to be honest. I personally wish I didn't have to manually run the bases. I'll certainly play RTTS more than Diamond Dynasty which I could give two ***** about. What a convoluted mess that mode is. Not my cup of tea.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the on the field play. It'll definitely satisfy my baseball itch. Visually, I think this is as good as it's going to get on the PS4 Pro. I expect some of the frame rate issues to get ironed out in an update...hopefully.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:I played a few innings with the new pre and post camera cuts between pitches and at bats. It's definitely more immersive and feels more like a game you're watching on tv, but my playing time is fairly limited on most nights. And I prefer a quicker pace, so while I can appreciate what they have implemented, I prefer quick counts and quick play, mixed with a little Hybrid every now and then. So, I guess some of these new additions won't be appreciated that much by me.
I switched everything back to balance and left HDR on and the hiccups disappeared on my Pro.

Try the new mode March to October, they give you different scenarios at different times of the season, it maybe your cup of tea. The game situation is never long and I found it pretty interesting.

My issue is that on RTTS, they can’t find my career on the iCloud, had both the physical and digital copy last year. I should say it’s there but keep getting an error for loading the data. :evil:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Patch 1.04 just downloaded and installed.
http://updatecrazy.com/mlb-the-show-19- ... h-details/
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

sportdan30 wrote:Played for a couple hours last night. There are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but it didn't really detract from my overall experience.

The game itself felt and plays like a refined version of '18. Fielding and hitting are improved and that alone warrants the purchase in my opinion. Fielding especially was a pet peeve of mine last year and that seems to be cleaned up.

I played a few innings with the new pre and post camera cuts between pitches and at bats. It's definitely more immersive and feels more like a game you're watching on tv, but my playing time is fairly limited on most nights. And I prefer a quicker pace, so while I can appreciate what they have implemented, I prefer quick counts and quick play, mixed with a little Hybrid every now and then. So, I guess some of these new additions won't be appreciated that much by me.

Like the new scoreboard overlays, yet I believe I don't see the pitch count on quick play with quick counts. Have to examine this further.

The overall interface is more to my liking.

Some player model faces and builds look much improved. Hair on the other hand still looks pretty awful on the majority of players. Yes, it's a nit pick but it just looks bad. Hoping the PS5 will bring better overall player models.
Pretty much echos my thoughts to a T, Dan. I believe in camera settings you can tone down the in between camera stuff. It was cool for a few innings and a nice step up in presentation,but I was also hitting the x button soon afterwards to bring on the next batter. And like 10's , moved back to balanced mode as the stuttering although not terrible , was enough to bug me back to balanced HDR.

Loving the hit variety. Seeing quite a few balls land just inside the foul lines or just beyond. Some home runs are moon shots while others are line drives. Haven't seen a ball hit the pitcher yet which is a good sign. A good variety of bloops and liners to the outfield as well.

A speedy outfielder can definitely cover more ground (Bader gets a great jump compared to Fowler).

Commentary doesn't seem touched except for the cut to Heidi Watney, which is a nice addition. Have noticed a few incorrect lines by Matt and his team. I still think a two man crew in the booth makes more sense than a 3 man booth. Regardless, I'm sooooo tired of the commentary in this game.

Played about a half hour of RTTS. I guess it's better in that there's more of a RPG element to it. But it still is pretty much the same mode as last year. I don't know how much I'll play it to be honest. I personally wish I didn't have to manually run the bases. I'll certainly play RTTS more than Diamond Dynasty which I could give two ***** about. What a convoluted mess that mode is. Not my cup of tea.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the on the field play. It'll definitely satisfy my baseball itch. Visually, I think this is as good as it's going to get on the PS4 Pro. I expect some of the frame rate issues to get ironed out in an update...hopefully.
Pretty much sums up my feelings , Dan.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played a couple more games last night.

As stated, the hit variety is much much better this year. Seeing quite a few I haven't seen before.

I'm loving the Zoom batting camera this year. It's really allowing me to work the counts as I'm not chasing as much.

Thankfully, not seeing many dropped third strikes like in year's past. In fact, I think I've only seen one in four games.

Settled in at All-Star with pitching and hitting. Am getting a wide array of scores. Averaging one home run a game right now.

Don't ask me why, but I subbed Jose Martinez in to the game on a double switch. Could definitely tell he doesn't have the same speed, jump, or fluidity as O'Neil.

Like that the good outfielders will see how the ball is going to caram off the wall while the average outfielder doesn't have that advantage.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Finally decided to purchase and it's downloading now.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I really like all the improvements in the game this year, however the framerates are REALLY dampening the enjoyment. At Sun Trust (Atlanta), it doesn't matter what setting I use, it stutters CONSTANTLY on balls hit to the outfield and throws to first base. In fact the FASTER setting stutters even more than the BALANCED one...no idea what the hell is going on. It sucks because I spend 81 of 162 at Sun Trust during my franchise, so I'm not sure how involved I'll get when I just get frustrated playing it.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I'm not seeing any stutter and that's on regular PS4 and samsung 4k tv. Now I'm not playing with HDR on either and I have my tv set to game mode as well.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I really like all the improvements in the game this year, however the framerates are REALLY dampening the enjoyment. At Sun Trust (Atlanta), it doesn't matter what setting I use, it stutters CONSTANTLY on balls hit to the outfield and throws to first base. In fact the FASTER setting stutters even more than the BALANCED one...no idea what the hell is going on. It sucks because I spend 81 of 162 at Sun Trust during my franchise, so I'm not sure how involved I'll get when I just get frustrated playing it.
Are you playing with HDR on? I turned it off the other night to see how it looked. I prefer it with HDR on, but it did limit some of the frame rate issues when I had it off. Might try that if you haven't already.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I really like all the improvements in the game this year, however the framerates are REALLY dampening the enjoyment. At Sun Trust (Atlanta), it doesn't matter what setting I use, it stutters CONSTANTLY on balls hit to the outfield and throws to first base. In fact the FASTER setting stutters even more than the BALANCED one...no idea what the hell is going on. It sucks because I spend 81 of 162 at Sun Trust during my franchise, so I'm not sure how involved I'll get when I just get frustrated playing it.
Are you playing with HDR on? I turned it off the other night to see how it looked. I prefer it with HDR on, but it did limit some of the frame rate issues when I had it off. Might try that if you haven't already.
Don't have a HDR capable tv...so simply playing with the Ps4 Pro on Fast/Balanced and neither is really all that good. Maybe I need to delete and reinstall it or something. But damn, it's 70+ gb on my connection. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Apparently I’m not the only one. 33 pages worth on Operation Sports. Sheesh. So disappointing.

https://forums.operationsports.com/foru ... hread.html

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

New update today. OS saying doesn’t improve frame rate but my game at Busch Stadium was extremely smooth.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:New update today. OS saying doesn’t improve frame rate but my game at Busch Stadium was extremely smooth.
It doesn't. In fact, now I get it when the pitcher is pitching. So even worse. Ugh.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

That sucks Db. Someone also suggested switching to "retro mode" for defense as it helps cut down on the frame rate issues.

Sure hope SDS can fix these issues. Of course, they first have to acknowledge it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, it does help. Retro view on D is just disorienting a bit. But it's better than stuttering all the time. It's usable at least. So thanks for the tip.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just an FYI, a guy named RidinRosters has released a full minors set which is very good to use in a franchise or RTTS. I restarted my RTTS Just to play with the real minor leaguers. It’s well done...many of the faces of the minor leaguers are damn good. Check it out.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/20/18509 ... draft-team
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Still digging the game primarily with Diamond Dynasty. Amazing how Sony keeps up with all the players recent stats weekly, whether they are hot or in a funk.

Conquest is what I play the most with different missions every week. Just sharing some highlights of this late game I had with a very good Astros’ team, it was going extra innings with the game tied at zero when my favorite rookie this year, Eloy Jimenez hits one out of the park and later on I bring in the always dangerous G. Stanton who manages to bring a full count after quickly being down two strikes and basically busts the game open.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Free for PS plus subscribers.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Free for PS plus subscribers.
Damn and my subscription just ran out.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Did you guys see this news?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/9/2100 ... ity-ending

Fantastic!!!

JOZ
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by JOZ »

That is awesome!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah I saw this yesterday. If you’ve never played The Show due to not having a PlayStation console then you are in for an absolute treat. IMO, it’s the best sports video game franchise. The dev team is superb. Can’t say enough about the game.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Diablo25 wrote:Yeah I saw this yesterday. If you’ve never played The Show due to not having a PlayStation console then you are in for an absolute treat. IMO, it’s the best sports video game franchise. The dev team is superb. Can’t say enough about the game.
Is there a fast play option that skips all the stuff not dealing with actual pitching and hitting?

I never really could get into even MLB 2k because the games just took so long to play.

Excited to see it come over to the xb1x though!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Yeah I saw this yesterday. If you’ve never played The Show due to not having a PlayStation console then you are in for an absolute treat. IMO, it’s the best sports video game franchise. The dev team is superb. Can’t say enough about the game.
Is there a fast play option that skips all the stuff not dealing with actual pitching and hitting?

I never really could get into even MLB 2k because the games just took so long to play.

Excited to see it come over to the xb1x though!
Yes, there are a numerous play modes. You can play with generated counts. That takes like 20-25 minutes compared to like 40 minutes for a full game with entire at bats. You can also play manager mode where you can view the action from numerous vantage points (press box, dugout, etc.) You simply make all the managerial decisions and then watch it play out. There is also a Quick Manage mode where you make strategic game decisions while simulating everything. You don’t actually see gameplay in that mode. Those games take like 5 minutes.

I’ll put up a link in a bit of a video showing Quick Manage Mode and Managers Mode.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Here is a Link to a video of the Quick Manage Mode and also Manage Mode. I messed with the settings, cameras, etc. in the video.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25